My Knight in Shining Armor ((...

By 83773R_0FF_D34D

Karkat: "I, Karkat Vantas, have a fucked up home life. Sometimes I wonder why my life turned out the way it d... More

One: Rough Mornings
Two: New Neighbors
Three: Best Friend to the Rescue
Five: Late Warnings
Six: The Blabber Mouth's Return
Seven: A Week of Weird Happenings
Eight: Waking With a Start
Nine: A Day With Strider
Ten: Night At the Strider Household
Eleven: Bullies and Heroes
Twelve: Planning
Thirteen: Double Date
Fourteen: Denial
Fifteen: A Not-So-Friendly Warning
Sixteen: Worth
Seventeen: Skipping School
Eighteen: School Mornings
Nineteen: Problems Arise
Twenty: The Knight Shows
Twenty-One: Visiting Hours Suck
Twenty-Two: Soft Love
Twenty-Three: Getting the Party Started
Twenty-Four: Christmas Eve Night
Twenty-Five: Christmas with Strider
Twenty-Six: Christmas Afternoon
Twenty-Seven: Christmas Night
Twenty-Eight: Happily Ever After

Four: Rising Suspicions

339 11 1
By 83773R_0FF_D34D

••~ Dave's P.O.V ~••

Watching as that Makara fellow drove off with the short albino, who I just learned was named Karkat, I was more than confused. Either Karkat was just really clumsy, like Makara had said, or something was going on behind these doors that neither was talking about.

I look back at the door of Karkat's home and sighed, keeping a straight face as I walk back over to my own home where I knew Dirk was probably fangirling over some anime in his room, letting my mind dwell on what the boy next door could be hiding as I got my turntables set up and started mixing beats, my head nodding a little.

Being so absorbed in my music, I hadn't even noticed my brother trying to get my attention, keeping my eyes down as I  continued to mix and play with the tunes that flowed into my headphones. Ignoring him successfully, I jumped away and tensed as the older male had pulled one my headphones off, making me mess up. "Dammit Dirk!" I yell in frustration.

"Sorry, but I was tryin' to get your attention for the last two minutes." He explained, as if that would make up for anything.
"Yeah? Well two more wouldn't have killed ya." I grumbled as I pulled myself back to the cool, stoic Strider I was.
"Yes it would." He answered, emotionless as he started at me through pointed shades.
"No, it would not." I retort.
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"No!"
"No."
"Yes- Fuck." I groan  as he got me mixed up.
"Glad you agree with me." He smirked.
"Whatever, now do you want something or can you go face time with your boyfriend or whatever?"
"Skype, and he does have a name you know." He corrects before adding on. "And for your information, yes, I needed to tell  you that we're heading to the store in a few minutes so get your shit together."

I watched as he calmly left my room, confused, quiet for a moment before shaking my head. "I thought we stocked up on all we needed a couple days ago.." I mutter to myself before shaking my head once more and shut everything down.

••~ A week later (B/c I'm lazy) Karkat's P.O.V ~••

I was forced to go home the week after, my father playing the distressed, pitiful father on the phone with the police. The usual. The Makaras were threatened that if my father called again and I was staying there, they would be arrested. Their father, who I called Grand since childhood because of his height and muscular build, had simply retorted that he would like to see them try.

Gamzee offered to stay with me for a little while, and I was not going to object to having some comforting company around my house. So, now waiting at the Makara household, I stood by Gamzee's bedroom door with my bag as he packed his.

I watched him, slightly amused as he scrambled around the room for his clothes and items, wondering how long he planned on staying albeit knowing it'd be more than a day. I slowly started wondering how things at home had been, it was quarter past noon, looking down at the floor after my thoughts had drifted elsewhere, to somewhere they really shouldn't be. I was two months clean dammit and that was not going to end yet.

"You okay, Karbro?" Gamzee asked with a  small hum, now standing in front of me.
"Huh? Oh.. Yeah. You ready?"
He nodded with his dopey grin. "Yup."

I nod once and followed him out, being stopped on our way out by the older Makara men.

"Take care of him, would ya?" Grand said, tone sounding commanding though I knew it was just a request.
"Don't worry, he'll be fine.. I'm sure he smuggled some pot into his bag anyways." I say, rolling my eyes.
"What? Why'd you think that Karbro?" Gamzee asked, trying to play innocent.
"It's you, what else would you have fucking smuggled?"
".. Faygo?"
"I don't give a shit about that." I remind him, although not having a taste for the drink.
"Oh.. Right." He laughed.

A few more words were shared before we left, Grand driving us, seeing as he was on his way to work anyways, so it really wasn't anything too bothersome. We waved as the older man dropped us off, and just as I thought, my father was still home. I walk behind Gamzee as we walked through the front door, despite my earlier attempts to try to persuade the Makara to sneak in my window with me, though I would have gone alone if he wasn't dragging me in through the door.

"Whaddya want?" I heard my father say, words half slurred.
"'Sup Mr. Vantas, just dropping Karbro off here." Gamzee said calmly.
"Leave the little shit in his room, I'll talk to him later."
"You won't be doing much talking." I mumble, thankfully quiet enough for it to go unnoticed by the man.
"A'ight. Let's go bro." Gamzee said as he placed a hand on my shoulder and we headed towards my room.

I instinctively locked the door behind me, drawing my curtains closed to block some of the blinding light out. I sigh and sit against the wall, looking down at my feet as I stretched out, Gamzee laying on his stomach right beside something.

It was silent for a while, neither of us making a move or a sound as we just stayed there, my eyes slowly closing as I drifted in and out of consciousness, one moment having my head lolling to the side, the room bright, the next moment, I was snuggled up against the older male, sitting between his legs and the room darker now as I opened my eyes. I whined a little as I tried to move, to find myself unable to, squirming a little as I looked up at my captor, the Makara's arms wrapped around me like a vice.

Sighing, I give up after a few moments, looking down and closing my eyes again as I looked down and give up. At least I can deal with this type of physical contact without flinching or flipping my shit, but this made my claustrophobia spike just a little.

"You good..?" I heard a mumble come from the male, his chest vibrating, causing a weird feeling against my ear as I nuzzled into his chest a little, too tired to really give a damn.
"Yeah, tired."
".. Okay."
"I wake you or some shit?"
"Nah, been in an out of catchin' those motherfuckin' Z's all day." He replied lazily.

I shake my head, mumbling for him to loosen his grip, having to take a few more times to ask before he finally complied, letting me turn so my back was to his chest. Yes, sometime it could be annoying with how tactile he was, but God better strike me dead if I ever turn this guy's touch down. My eyes scan what they could, finding my door open soon enough, freezing as I then turn my head to look at Gamzee as was about to ask before he patted my cheek.

"I left for the bathroom real quick an' your dad was long gone by then.." He explained.
"Oh..." I say, relaxing a bit.

It was a while before he had fallen back asleep, arms loose around me by now though I stayed put, digging my phone out instead and played a game to pass the time. I really couldn't believe it was almost eight P.M when I had checked the time, turning my brightness down almost immediately after I unlocked my lock screen.

Sometime after that, I must have fallen asleep because the next think I knew it was six in the morning, my father coming home later than normal. Hearing the slamming of the front door, Gamzee woke up, surprising me and almost making me jump out of my skin. Calming down, I looked down and pulled my knees up to my chest, listening to the older male stumble around. I think, and more or less hope, that the stumbling was because of drowsiness, instead of it being because of alcohol.

I watched as he walked past my doorway, slightly relieved if not ecstatic when he went into his own room and hadn't come out for the next couple of hours. Then, there was a knock at.. My window? No. I must be hearing things, who the Hell knocks at a window?

The knock came again. No.. That was definitely at the door, what the Hell was I thinking? Gamzee was fast asleep again, having moved him to the bad an hour ago, though having to wake him was Hell itself, not to mention having to convince him to sleep without having to worry about me again.

I moved from where I sat on the floor, about to get up and answer the door as the second knock came a moment later. I walk to the living room to find the door open and my father talking. My brows raise a little in surprise, he's never done anything like this for a while. "Dad..?" I say warily, causing the male to turn around.

His expression was one of shock, before his eyes narrowed some on me, my heart racing just a little faster before I looked past him to see two blonde males standing there, one being Dave and the other I was guessing had to be his guardian, a brother or something. They looked close in age, the way Kankri and I do, though the difference was easily noticed.

"Karkat.. Have you met the neighbors yet?" My father asked expression softening for the moment.
".. One," I mumble.
"Hey Karkles~" Dave said in a light, teasing tone, a smik plastered to his face.
"Karkat." I correct in a low, growling tone.
"Be nice." My father growled back at me, grabbing by shoulder a bit too tight, wincing slightly in pain as I didn't move.
"I am.."
"Why can't you be more like Kankri?" He asked, holding on to my shoulder tighter, though I still stayed where I was.
"Could we not..?" I ask, subtly mentioning the blonde crowd we had right beside us.

He stared at me like I was the crazy one, though he nodded once.

"Who's Kankri?" Dave asked.
"My shithead brother." I mumble.

Before I heard a response, I was biting my tongue, holding my breath as my father's grip only tightened even more, almost completely sure that my face was turning red by now, leaning against the doorway a bit more.

"You okay there bro?" Dave asked, getting a glare from me in response.
"Yeah, but if my father could let go for ONE goddamn moment, then everything would just be fucking peachy." I glare at my father.
"Oh.. Sorry." My father said, slight sarcasm in his apology.
"I'm going to go." I mumble.
"But aren't-" The older started.
"No. I'm not.."

I storm off to my room and slam the door behind me, shedding my sweater quickly and checked my shoulder, the skin there only a little pink, though I could tell it would bruise sooner or later.

••~ Dave's P.O.V ~••

Watching as the short male walked away, I was a bit put off by the way the boy's father has been holding on to his shoulder, I mean.. No one's finger tips turn white when simply laying a hand on one's shoulder.

"Sorry about him." Mr. Vantas said, sighing softly, almost defeated.
"It's alright, kids are kids." Dirk dismissed.
"Yeah.."

The two men spoke to each other, though I decided to drown them out instead of keeping track of the conversation between them.

I look past the elder Vantas, looking back at the man before speaking. "Sorry to be a bother, but can we come inside?" I asked, interrupting Dirk's statement.

"Hm? Oh.. Yes." He nodded and let us in.

I followed Dirk in before taking a seat, still ignoring the other two males in the room with me, though mostly just listening for any sound from the albino man. My guard was up, there was something if about the air here, and not because it smells like booze or anything.

I looked back to Karkat's father, eyes locked and narrowed on him. I was going to find out what was wrong about him.

Honestly, I had no idea why I was so concerned about this, I just got here and was already looking after this kid. Damn.. Whatever, once I find out- if there is anything to be found out- what was going on, I'll find a way to solve it.. Hopefully.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 243 19
You and Karkat had always been the best of friends. After feelings were developed between the two of you, you were forced to move away. When you fina...
40.6K 831 22
Just another story of Davekat (Dave Strider+Karkat Vantas) Or is it..? Dave Strider, the cool, ironic, kid with shades, has to help guide one of th...
21.8K 1.2K 22
Karkat Vantas knew ever since he was little that he was actually a she; she always dreamed of finding a love who accepted her for who she was. After...
12.3K 509 16
Dave Strider has never liked the idea of owning a troll. Humanity's latest exotic pet turns into a must-have for the household by the time he's five...