The Lady Who Stayed

By greenwriter

When Mary is caught in a scandal with one of the most notorious rakes in town, she believes the only solution... More

I. The Will
II. The Daughter
III. The Rake
V. The Price
VI. The Family
VII. One Rake Down
VIII. A Very Angry Wedding
IX. Gentle Devil
X. The Society
XI. Favors
XII. Friends, Husbands, Wives
XIII. Heists
XIV. Threats
XV. Curious Husbands
XVI. Accounting
XVII. Behind Walls
XVIII. One Angry Husband
XIX. Westershire
XX. Wicked West
XXI. Wild West
XXII. Blissful Westershire
XXIII. Crates and Secrets
XXIV. The Novelist
XXV. Husband Undercover
XXVI. Rebels
XXVII. The Blower
XXVIII. Husband
XXIX. Uncle
XXX. The Ride Home
XXXI. Cold Oakham
XXXII. The Theobald Party
XXXIII. The Reunion
XXXIV. Wives and Lies
XXXV. A Theobald Tryst
XXXVI. The Meeting
XXXVII. Plans and Promises
XXXVIII. Dearest Love
XXXIX. The Hated, the Loved
Special Chapter
Author's Note
The Lady Who Sinned New Edition Preview

IV. The Trap

87K 4.7K 516
By greenwriter

Mary walked around the ballroom, ignoring the disparaging glances, and focused her eyes on the one exit that would lead her to the library.

A breath of relief escaped her when she finally emerged into an empty corridor lined with doors. Her heart pounding against her chest, she stopped when she saw a man enter the library.

Lord Preston. She knew him. Cressida once caused quite a small stir when she commented on the man's oily face. Since then, that had always been his reputation.

But Mary knew Lord Preston more. She knew his secrets.

He was a member of the League of Founders, a group of men trained to protect the Town from threats. But unlike the Town Guards, whose purpose was to safeguard everyone and enforce the law, Leaguers worked in secret, their identities most often unknown.

For a moment she wondered if he was here on a mission, and if he was, he may stay long inside the library. Deciding to return later, Mary turned and then froze in her spot. Three familiar figures blocked her path back into the ballroom.

Mary groaned inwardly. Of all people, she had to deal with Belinda and the Prewitt twins.

"You should still be in mourning, Mary," Belinda said with a smile. "You are giving your father's memory such great insult by enjoying this ball."

"Why are you here, Mary?" asked Poppy Prewitt, standing beside Belinda.

Not fighting back seemed to have grown into a habit for Mary where Belinda and her friends were concerned.

"Being frail in the eyes of many does not reduce the power you hold. It simply hides it, my dear, so it can grow." Her father's words echoed in her mind as she watched Belinda step closer, carrying her haughty air.

Mary instinctively stepped back, and she hated herself for it.

She was a hypocrite. She had made her father believe she was strong and that her meekness was merely a façade. But she never truly learned how to act because she was as what these people saw her. Or perhaps the act simply blended with the confidence her father tried to mold into her. Or it could just be that she was facing Belinda, the one person who could effectively make Mary feel she was trespassing into a world she was not a part of.

Her hands turned icy, and she had the sudden urge to run away or shrink, but the weight of the secret she hid in her reticule reminded her of why she could not.

The three ladies were not as horrible as what they reminded Mary of, which was the school they all attended together. It was in Madam Pearson's School for Young Ladies that she learned evil rubbed on to children. There, despite the absence of their caregivers, Mary was known as the daughter of the man who robbed their fathers of their townsends, and the daughter of the woman rumored to be the lover of many members in the clubs.

And even until now, even if they never spoke of those things, the mere presence of Belinda and the Prewitts reminded Mary of those horrible years her father had very little knowledge about because she never told him. Because she led him to believe she was strong.

"You are distracting people, Mary." Belinda looked at her with a frown which could easily be concern or disapproval—or both. She could never truly tell with the red-haired beauty standing before her. Belinda, for Mary, was always a confusing enigma.

"Perhaps you should leave," said Posy Prewitt, feigning a kind smile.

Mary cleared her throat. "If you would step aside, I may just leave."

Belinda smiled and looked at her friends. "We were just going to the garden, Mary. Would you like to join us?"

"We could give you a trip back to your carriage along the way," added Poppy.

"Ah! There you are!" Lady Gertrude's voice said from behind Belinda and the Prewitts. "Come here, Mary. I want you to meet someone... Excuse me, young ladies. Here, Mary, come with me," continued the older woman, finally reaching Mary. She turned to Belinda and the Prewitts. "Am I interrupting something?"

The ladies broke into smiles. "No, Lady Gertrude, of course not," Belinda said.

"Good! Now, Mary, dear, come with me. My other nephew is here somewhere... I knew it was him—I saw him moments ago. Now, where is that child?"

Mary willingly followed because Lady Gertrude would be easier to get away from. As she did, she threw the library door another glance.

*****

A familiar figure entered and walked straight into the light beaming through the window, shattering Adrien's newfound safety and privacy.

"Preston," he dryly greeted from his corner.

The man jumped in surprise, peering at him from the center of the room. "Westershire! What are you doing in the shadows?"

Ignoring the question, he said, "I would appreciate if you find another place—and no, do not turn on the lights. I was enjoying my privacy until your arrival."

"Did Easton come with you?"

Adrien rolled his eyes. Finally—a question other than a wedding proposal. "No. He had some pressing matters to attend to as he said."

Annoyance crossed Preston's oily face. "I came hoping he would be here."

"Well, he is not. If he were, our aunt would have murdered him because he came back to Willowfair without his wife."

"Very well. I shall leave you in peace then."

"You have my utter gratitude," he said with a sardonic nod of his head.

The man turned and left the library. Adrien knew Preston was a member of the League of Founders. Him looking for Calan meant his brother was working on a case.

His mind easily drifted away from his brother and Preston. Perhaps he should feign a headache and beg his aunt to leave the ball. But the woman would merely offer him a glass of brandy for the pain. A foot injury from dancing? Ah, drat it. He had used that excuse too many times. She knew him too well to fall for it again.

He growled under his breath, cursing his fate tonight. It was in moments like this one that Adrien wished he had not left the League those years ago. He could be somewhere, doing something useful. But then he was reminded of the burden that came with being a Leaguer and he shook his head at the thought. Adrien swallowed the remaining of his drink and threw his head on the back of the chaise. The boredom was making him think of random things he would otherwise never bother with on a good day.

Just a few more hours, Adrien, he told himself. A woman would be nice, but you do not have one at the moment. Embrace the silence.

But even the silence betrayed him. Not an hour later and the door creaked open again. He opened his mouth to claim his territory, but stopped when he saw the intruder.

It was a woman. Or at least a shadow of one.

Perhaps also a blind one, because she did not notice his presence.

He frowned as she quietly closed the door before walking to the other side of the room and stopping in front of a line of shelves. She plucked one book out, then another. She flipped through the second one and remained motionless as she read. He could not tell what she did next because the room was too dark, but he saw her move again.

A soft smile curled his lips when she softly scoffed, as if the book was a joke, before she closed it. She returned the books on the shelf, stepped back, and studied them with her head cocked to one side. His frown deepened when she rushed forward and adjusted the books again, as though afraid someone would notice they were moved.

And then she turned and froze, finally discovering she was not alone. His legs, after all, caught the light from the window.

Adrien smiled. "I was really hoping to enjoy my privacy," he said, breaking his silence.

"You were?" the soft and very feminine voice said. He straightened in the chaise, realizing he was alone with her.

She must have seen him come in earlier and waited for the perfect time to enter. Then she pretended to like books because maybe, just maybe, he liked a woman who enjoyed reading. He had heard enough stories of the same schemes played before.

This was not good.

He should escape before anyone saw them. A scandal was not how he intended to survive the Willowfair Season.

But the chit was walking forward and he was rendered immobile. She was almost just a mere shadow, but a beautiful shadow nonetheless.

He should get up and leave, but her movement mesmerized him. Gentle and graceful. Also reluctant—as if she did not want to be there. Was it innocent or daring? He could not tell. The beautiful shadow stopped right before the stream of light, as if teasing him, and his body reacted at the thrill.

She was not the voluptuous type. She was tall and slender, almost thin—just how he liked his women.

And she smelled wonderful. Not the strong perfumes the women showered themselves with. No, she smelled of fresh woman scent with a hint of... something—a flower, one that only bloomed for her.

Again, he reminded himself that he should go, but she was walking again, around the light, just inside the shadows, her movement both shy and curious.

Maybe she was here to play. Maybe he ought to play with her.

He was certain she was wearing black and her hair, which was pulled up in a bun, was of the same color. But no face because the light was not strong enough against the shadows of the library.

Then he paused for just a moment. Black. She was in mourning. A dead husband?

"I'm sorry for your loss," he said.

Why was she here? Was she looking for an adventure? She looked down at her dress. "Is it too obvious?"

"That you are in mourning? Definitely."

She nodded, stopping at the edge of the light again. "Thank you for your condolences," she said, voice meek. "How long have you been here?"

The light caught on her skin, and he instantly went tight. They appeared to glow in the faint light that shone on the lower half of her body. Her face still hid in the shadows. One more step and he would finally see it.

"Do you mean to ask if I saw you enter?"

"Y-yes."

"Why? Did you do something wrong?"

She looked behind her at the shelf. "N-no." She faced him again. "Who are you?"

Adrien scoffed. "If you come closer, you will find out."

She took one more step. A halt. She stiffened and then backed away. Adrien frowned. What was the matter?

"Forgive me," she said, soft voice laced with panic as she stepped further back into the shadows, depriving Adrien's eyes of what they wanted to behold. "Could you leave?"

He almost laughed when her words sank in. "No. I was here first. You should leave."

She hesitated.

"Fret not, I will not tell Lord Macy you touched his books," he assured her.

"G-good." She threw the shelf another glance. "But I prefer if you leave. I can stay."

A low chuckle rumbled in his chest. "And where do you think I should go?"

"Outside the door?"

Another round of chuckle. He should really leave, but how could he? He was enjoying the moment. And she was a widow and a free woman. She was far more harmless than an innocent debutante.

"Are you not going to sit?" he asked, pointing at the seat where the light shone. He noted her hesitation, but she surprised him again by walking over to the shelf on the right where the shadow was darker. "Are the books more interesting than me, my lady?"

She faced the shelf. "I'm not a gentry, my lord."

"A bigger relief then."

She picked up a book and looked at it.

"Are you waiting for someone?" he asked.

"Yes—you. To leave."

"Reading a book will not make me leave, Miss."

He smiled when she sighed in frustration. Curious, he set down his drink and jumped to his feet. She stepped to the side in alarm when he leaned against the shelf, peering down at her when she bent her head to hide her face.

It was the thrill that drove him. He was certain she was supposed to meet someone here. Yet when she realized her mistake, she turned away from him. Him—Adrien Haverston!

He looked down at her bare arm and he yearned to caress it to see if they felt as smooth as they looked.

"You are not wearing gloves," he noted.

"They can be quite bothersome," she replied, clearing her throat, her face bent on the book. She flipped a page. How could she read in the darkness?

"Who did you think I was?" he asked, stepping closer.

His form shadowed her face, but he saw a hint of long, thick lashes. And her smell wrapped around him, encasing him in a trance. "No one. I was not expecting anyone."

"I do not believe you."

"I do not expect you to."

"You dislike me."

"You are giving me reasons to," she retorted just as fast.

"Then why are you not leaving?"

"Because I like it here."

"You should be out there dancing."

"So should you."

He sighed. Should he leave? She did not seem interested. But her scent was rooting him in place. Ah, bloody hell! He wanted this stubborn woman.

How long had it been since he ended things with his lover? A fortnight? A month? It had been too long, certainly.

"You came for your lover?"

"No," she denied.

"You were seeking for one, then," he said, voice knowing. "And are disappointed that you found me instead?"

"I am more disappointed with Lord Macy's book collection."

He chuckled, leaning closer to see what she was reading. "Ah, indeed. A book on worms. Disgusting."

"Hmm." The sound was enough to elicit a very disturbing response from his groin.

"If I leave you here, what are you planning to do?"

She lifted her shoulder, and he almost groaned. The dress did not even offer much, but the movement was very woman. "Spend a few more moments in peace."

"Why?"

"Because I desire it."

*****

Mary was getting frustrated. She should leave, but she could not. Not when he was still here. She should have checked if the room was empty before she snuck in earlier. This was the first that she had been this careless.

If she left first, Adrien Haverston may be curious and find out her secret. She had to make him leave. Ah, she should not have gone here. This ball was a mistake.

"Liar," he whispered, leaning lower. "Would you change your mind and reconsider your choice? It is quite obvious your friend is not here."

Mary wanted to laugh—both at his utter ignorance and her carelessness. "No. I only planned on taking one lover, thank you," she said, humoring him because why not? Now, she would simply have to convince him he was not what she wanted.

His soft chuckle echoed around the room. "Tell me about this man you are seeking for."

Growing frustrated, Mary snapped her head toward him. A big mistake because his face was too close. They were both stunned for a moment.

"Well?" he asked, voice teasing, breath brushing against her face. He was not moving, and Mary found herself frozen. Never had she ever been this so close to a man. Much more so to someone like Adrien Haverston.

The moment seemed surreal, to be honest.

She wondered if he recognized her. Maybe he did not, because if he did, he would already be out the door.

"Losing your husband must have been quite devastating."

She scoffed. He thought she was a widow. Oh, how famous!

She should just reveal herself and get this over with. He should know he was in the same room with an unmarried innocent. If anyone walked in on them, it would be a scandal.

But she found she could not move. His presence was making it hard. And he was standing too close, inviting her to an unknown danger. And Mary always knew what danger was like—it was devastating and cruel, but it was also thrilling and gratifying. She knew because that was the world she grew up in.

Her eyes lowered to his mouth and even with the darkness, she knew she wanted to kiss him. Maybe just once.

Would it be wrong? Most definitely yes. But then she would find out why so many women cried for this man, or why the maids squealed whenever he would come by the Mary House.

A voice at the back of her mind was screaming for her to leave. But Adrien Haverston drew back and leaned against the shelf beside her. "I have lost someone years ago as well," he said with a smile. "Not a wife, of course. But someone..."

"It must have been devastating," she said, mesmerized by his shadowed beauty.

He shrugged. "In several ways."

Mary, you fool! Do something. Yet she turned and joined him against the shelf, the two of them standing side by side in the darkness.

"He had always been good to me," she said, remembering her father, wondering what he would think if he knew what she was doing—or why she was here. "He provided me with everything I needed."

"You must have been quite happy then."

"Despite everything, I was," she said with a bitter smile, knowing Ernest Featherton would condemn her for being here. He would be disappointed. "Happy, I mean. He made me happy," she added.

"Whatever does that mean?" he asked.

She shrugged. "He was not a perfect man."

"No man is."

"Nor was I the perfect daughter." There, she said it.

He stiffened beside her and his head snapped down at her. "You are not a widow."

"Yes. I'm unmarried. Now, you can go, my lord."

"B-but—" He turned to her. Through the darkness, she could see a hint of narrowed eyes.

"If someone sees us here, it shall be a scandal."

"Then leave."

"N-no. I am not leaving," she stubbornly said, clearing her throat.

"Why are you here, really?" he asked, leaning closer. "And who are you?"

Mary panicked and tried to step away, but she stumbled on the skirts of her dress. He caught her, and her attempt to brush him away sent them both falling on the floor with a thud.

And that was when the door opened. Her eyes widened, and she scrambled over Adrien Haverston to crawl to the darkest corner of the room behind the chaise he occupied earlier. He was right behind her, then squeezed into her hiding place. She pushed him away, but he grabbed her. "You stepped on my hand!" he hissed. She covered his mouth, and they glared at each other in the darkness, then froze as the footsteps continued.

Mary poked her head out of the side of the chaise, locks of hair dangling from one ear, and her heart went to her throat. The man was facing the shelf. As the shadowed stranger picked up a book, Mary glanced at Adrien Haverston and pulled him away and out of sight. The stranger could turn anytime. Finally, when she heard the door open and close again, she craned her neck and sighed with relief to find the stranger gone. Mary eased back behind the chaise, bumping her head against Adrien's.

They both let out a silent cry of pain in the darkness.

Mary started to crawl out, only to be pulled back by him. "Hush," he whispered near her ear, his finger on her lips. She groaned when she heard the door open and two footsteps entered the room. A feminine giggle floated in the air, followed by a man's low growl.

And then there was a rustle of fabrics, words like faster and have no time joined the grunts and whimpers. Her face heated. She swallowed, eyes wide as the lovers elicited sounds Mary knew she should not hear.

Adrien Haverston shook with laughter beside her, and she slapped his finger away. Truly, she could go now. She was done here.

If only the other two people in the room would leave!

"More! More..." the woman gasped. Mary grimaced. To be an unwilling witness was one matter, but to have to bear it in the darkness with a man (who was a rake!) was beyond uncomfortable. But then her heart pounded against her chest as Adrien fell silent beside her, and when she looked at him, he was staring at her with a small apologetic smile on his lips.

She closed her eyes in resignation and changed position, turning so she could lean her back against the chaise. He did the same, but he was against the wall facing her.

He must still wonder who she was. Could he not tell? But then, maybe he did not know her.

She shuddered when the man's muffled growl echoed around the library. "Oh, darling, darling," the man said, adding blasphemous words as he did so. "Should we continue to the chaise?" he asked.

Mary and Adrien stiffened. She clutched the sleeve of his coat in panic.

"No, I should get back," the woman purred. "My husband will be looking for me."

Mary gaped in disbelief. Not because she discovered an affair, but because she finally recognized the woman. Her husband was a member of the Angel House.

"But—"

"Later, darling," the woman interjected. Her words were followed by a long kiss and more moaning. "No, no, no... I have to go. Truly, I have to."

Mary let out a sigh as the door opened and closed. But she found herself suddenly weary to move, having had enough adventure for the night.

"That was rather awkward," Adrien Haverston said, voice both amused and oddly dark. "This library must be bloody cursed."

Mary swallowed and ignored him. "I must go."

His brows rose, surprised. "Now you are going?"

"Yes. I have overstayed," she replied, scrambling on her feet. "I yield. This room is yours."

"Just one kiss," he whispered, catching her hand. Mary stiffened at the touch. "As farewell."

Mary scoffed and stood despite the hammering in her chest and the tingling sensation that traveled to her fingers. "You do not even know me."

"Do I have to?"

"You must be jesting, my lord," Mary said with a shake of her head. She turned and rushed to the door, but stopped and held her breath when he said, "We may never cross paths again."

Her hand was around the door handle. One turn and she could leave. Escape to safety.

But then, she was always attracted to danger, so she turned. And as she did, he was there and his mouth captured hers and swallowed her gasp of surprise.

*****

She stiffened, but so did Adrien. Her lips were as soft as he imagined, but the prickling surge that ran through him was different. He was not new to it, but this was the first time he felt it with someone he barely laid his eyes on.

Who was this woman?

He stepped closer, his mouth finally moving, softly urging hers to do the same, to give in and enjoy this little adventure.

All thoughts of who she was, or that she could be an innocent, melted with the building heat when her lips softened against his, surrendering. He tugged on her full lower lip with his teeth. A sigh escaped her mouth, and Adrien groaned, gently pinning her against the door with his hips while he caught her waist and kneaded.

The sound of their heavy breaths drowned the distant sound of music from the ballroom. He should stop, but then he could not. There was more to this kiss, he thought. More to discover. Just a few more seconds—another minute, he thought.

He urged her mouth open, and when it did, he dove inside, eager for a taste. As he predicted, he was tasting an angel. She was heaven—soft and warm and... innocent? The way her tongue clumsily danced with his, or how her hands reluctantly traveled over his arms to his shoulders, and through his dark locks, told Adrien that she may be just that.

But then her hands slid down from his head to his waistcoat, restlessly playing with the buttons.

Bloody hell—innocent or not, she was a willing one.

He cupped her breasts above her gown, and a sharp breath escaped him. She was perfectly made for his hands—or maybe his hands were molded to fit her. A strangled moan of surprise and desire slipped out of her lips and he breathed it in, stepping closer, bending lower.

Adrien groaned in her mouth, and with frustration, he lifted her in one swift motion, pulling her legs to wrap around him, and pinning her against the door with his hips. A groan rumbled in his chest as he ground against her. She gasped, but it died down into a strangled whimper when his mouth traveled lower to her neck and sucked on her racing pulse.

With his free hand, Adrien loosened her stays and tugged her bodice down to reveal one breast. A moan of half-protest, half-wanting, slithered from her throat as he bent down to close his mouth over the peak.

"Please..." she gasped.

"Don't worry, we are getting there," he whispered against her skin, hips grinding in emphasis.

"No... please stop," she choked.

No, he could not. Please. Not when he was bloody hard, and she was here...

He cursed under his breath and groaned before he put her down, his breathing heavy as he buried his face in her neck. Jaw tight, he lifted his head and found her mouth in the darkness, pressed his hips against her, making her feel his great need, trying to urge her to say yes. His hand covered her bare breast and kneaded.

Just say yes, he silently prayed.

"Please," she whispered against his lips. And then again, she said, "Stop." This time, her voice changed. It was no longer pleading, cold even, hurling Adrien back to his senses.

He tore away from her and turned, hands clenched. "Go," he ordered. "Go, woman."

He did not even know her name, yet he ravaged her like a madman. He heard the rustling of her dress as she tried to fix herself, and he remembered he had loosened her stays.

"Bloody tarnation," he cursed under his breath and faced her again. "Let me," he offered, taking a step closer.

She frantically stepped back, shaking her head. The word 'no' was barely out of her mouth when she stumbled into the skirts of her gown and fell backward. Adrien moved fast to catch her. She tried to save the fall by shifting her weight to the side, her hand desperately grabbing on to the edge of the liquor cabinet to her right.

"No!" Adrien hissed. He caught her hand and pulled her toward him to save her and the cabinet. And then the sound came.

His heart stopped as the bottles and glasses from the cabinet clinked and swayed forward and back from where they stood. Holding his breath and feeling suddenly helpless, Adrien willed them to stop and stay still.

But it was too late and most—if not all—fell to the floor in a resounding series of crashes and clinks.

The lady in his arms gasped in surprise. Adrien stood frozen.

Before he could recover, the door burst open and five or more pair of frantic eyes saw them.

Wrapped in each other's arms.

Her bodice loose; his waistcoat open.

His hair rumpled; her hair bedraggled.

The light from the corridor had burst inside the room and when Adrien finally tore his eyes away from the crowd in the doorway, he stared down at the woman who could very well have ruined the rest of his life.

It took him awhile to put a name to the face. And when he did, his eyes widened in surprise at the wide-eyed wanton in his arms.

Bloody Mary Featherton!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 154K 40
Just when she's decided to leave the Town, Lady Cressida Belverst is forced to marry Lord Calan Haverston, the man who coincidentally knows a way out...
603 33 7
A TIME TRAVEL ROMANCE Embark on a journey through time with Clara Wharton, a modern-day college girl whose love for Jane Austen novels takes her bey...
2.7K 206 34
20/12/2021 Most Impressive Rank: #61citylife EDITING A Series of events turn a warm and loving wife into an unrecognized woman. A mother of two who...
1.7K 423 70
Loss. Inexplicable loss. A loss you can't even grieve because no one else admits to it. After all, how can you grieve over something that was never r...