Waters of Oblivion

By rskovach

Sometimes you just might have to die to live again. ... More

Chapter 1.1: The Blackout
Chapter 1.2: The Coffeehouse
Chapter 2.1: The Friend
Chapter 2.2: The Date
Chapter 2.3: The Chase
Chapter 2.4: The Break-In
Chapter 3.1: The Newspaper
Chapter 3.2: The Flooded Classroom
Chapter 3.3: The Awakening
Chapter 4.1: The Carousel
Chapter 4.2: The Gallery
Chapter 5.1: The Doge's Palace
Chapter 5.2: The Portrait
Chapter 6.1: The Masquerade
Chapter 6.2: The Gondola Ride
Chapter 6.3: The Ribbon
Chapter 7.1: The Lagoon
Chapter 7.2: The Interrogation
Chapter 8.1: The Fantastic Husband
Chapter 8.2: The Reunion
Chapter 8.3: The Long Night
Chapter 9.1: The First Morning
Chapter 9.2: The Breakfast
Chapter 9.3: The Car Wash
Chapter 10.1: The Girl
Chapter 10.2: The Race
Chapter 10.3: The Pool
Chapter 11.1: The Drive
Chapter 11.2: The Necklace
Chapter 11.3: The Dance
Chapter 12.1: The Reunion
Chapter 12.2: The Sneeze
Chapter 12.3: The Kiss
Chapter 12.4: The Test
Chapter 13.1: The Dilemma
Chapter 13.2: The Revelation
Chapter 14.1: The Storm
Chapter 14.2: The Pursuit
Chapter 14.3: The Crash
Chapter 15.1: The Hospital
Chapter 15.2: The End is Where We Begin
Chapter 16.1: The Pub
Chapter 16.2: The Ring
Chapter 17.1: The Cemetery
Chapter 17.2: The Secret
Chapter 18.1: The Chateau
Chapter 18.2: The Marchese
Chapter 19: The Fountain
Chapter 20.1: The Fallen Woman
Chapter 20.2: The Plane
Chapter 21.1: The Trial
Chapter 21.2: The Invitation
Chapter 22.1: The Daydream
Chapter 22.2: The Museum
Chapter 23: The Afternoon Tea
Chapter 24: The Country House
Chapter 25: The World's Fair
Chapter 26: The Spirits
Chapter 27.1: The Racetrack
Chapter 27.2: The Rider
Chapter 28: The Hospital
Chapter 29: The Realization
Chapter 30: The Rugby Match
Chapter 31: The Library
Chapter 32.1: The Visit
Chapter 32.2: The Damage
Chapter 33: The Point
Chapter 34: The Chapel
Chapter 35: The Ceremony
Chapter 36: The Delivery
Chapter 37: The Introduction
Chapter 38: The Wedding
Trivia
If You Enjoyed This . . .
Book Three: Islands of the Blessed

Chapter 1.3: The Accident

40K 2.1K 160
By rskovach

As they walked toward the exit, Reine was disappointed at having their time together come to an end. She also dreaded having to make excuses as to why she couldn't give him her phone number or see him again.

Well, in case he asked, anyway. She sighed. Maybe she should just invite him up to her room, instead.

"Watch your step, it's slippery," he cautioned, pulling the door open and holding it for her to head out into the cold night.

"Oh, shoot! My scarf—" She reached backwards to get the clothing still inside on the back of the chair. Meanwhile, Gabe was already tugging at the handle to close it properly. In the confusion, Reine caught her hand between the door and its frame.

"Oww!" The pain from her crushed fingers pulsated throughout her entire arm.

Letting go of the door, he rushed to her side. "Oh my God!  Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's nothing." She took a deep breath, ashamed both for the lie and for causing him guilt. "Can you get my scarf, please?"

"No, we need to get you to an emergency room. Your fingers could be broken." His initial shock had dissipated, and common sense was kicking in.

"It's just a bruise. Now can you just please get my scarf? I'm freezing out here." The request was more forceful than she normally would have liked. However, the fear of him noticing the swiftly fading signs of her injury was stronger than Reine's desire for niceties.

Her system was already going into overdrive, and sweat began to roll down her face. Within minutes, her hand would look as good as new. Even someone seemingly open-minded as Gabe would have a hard time not questioning how that was possible.

"Fine, but you're going to have to let me take a look at it once we're back inside." Realizing there was no use for arguing, he walked back through the door that caused this dilemma.

"Sure," she mumbled, already looking for the right moment to put an end to the mess she'd caused. She waited until he got several feet into the coffeehouse before sprinting across the street at the fastest pace the glistening ice would allow. Within seconds, she was inside the hotel.   

The receptionist was still on duty, and Reine couldn't risk drawing attention to herself. Slowing down, her wet boots squeaked on the polished, stone floors as she casually walked to the elevator. It opened immediately upon calling, and once inside, she pressed the button for the fifth floor.

The door took too long to move, and she frantically began tapping the button to close.  When it finally did, she looked at the flawless skin on her previously bruised and broken hand.

She was now safe, but she'd come too close to revealing that she possessed unnatural healing abilities. It was because of this she also hadn't aged in over half a millennium. Keeping this a secret wasn't for fear of dying — she couldn't do that either. At least not permanently. The only time she'd died, she had reawakened. However, it had come at a very stiff price: forgetting the first twenty-three years of her life.

That was long ago, but she couldn't risk losing what now amounted to centuries' worth of memories. Even if it meant voluntarily forgetting she'd ever met Gabriel Moran.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41 8 22
The death of a lifetime is finally here after 13 months! New Chapter every day! "Human nature is evil, and goodness is caused by intentional activity...
374 109 37
Witching Souls Part 2 of 3: As more memories from their previous lifetimes surface, Lexi and Leo must confront the haunting echoes of their history...
45.2K 2.8K 51
A young man, haunted by his wife's betrayal, turns to vampirism to keep her. *** Blake Thorne was betrayed by his wife Vivienne. A year ago, she ran...
119 17 12
Waking up without your memories is scary enough as is. Finding out your husband may be why you were in the hospital in the first place only complicat...