Finding Jasmine

By SagarikaKhannaBooks

Rank # 17 in Historical Fiction Rank #37 in General Fiction Featured on the What's Hot List Runner up of the... More

Preface
Chapter 1 : Arshia
Chapter 2: Jasmine
Chapter 3: Jasmine
Chapter 4: Jasmine
Chapter 5: Jasmine
Chapter 6: JASMINE
Chapter 7: Jasmine
Chapter 8: Jasmine
Chapter 9 - Jasmine
Chapter 10: Jasmine
Chapter 11: Jasmine
Chapter 12: Devyani Singh
Chapter 13: Jasmine
Chapter 14: Jasmine
Chapter 15: Jasmine
Chapter 16: Jasmine
Chapter 17: Inderavadhan
Chapter 18: Jasmine
Chapter 20: Jasmine
Chapter 21: Jasmine
Chapter 22: Jasmine
Chapter 23: Jasmine
Chapter 24: Jasmine
Chapter 25: Jasmine
Chapter 26: Inderavadhan
Chapter 27: Jasmine
Chapter 28: Arshia
Chapter 29: Jasmine
Chapter 30: Jasmine
Chapter 31: Jasmine
Chapter 32: Inderavadhan
H I A T U S
C H A N G E S

Chapter 19: Devyani Singh

191 123 2
By SagarikaKhannaBooks

This chapter is dedicated to SarahBensonBooks

Thank you Sarah for taking the time out to judge the RBLS!
 We are in the TOP 3 of the RBLS!

Why was I fond of that girl?

Why did I feel that she belonged to me?

I did not realise that I still remembered the lullaby that I had often crooned to my Pratap.

The words had come out of nowhere.

But why did I sing the verses to this unknown orphan the words that were embedded in my heart ?

Jasmine had unlocked the cache that had been sealed with the death of Pratap.

Her uncanny similarity to Rosalie had stirred a hope in my heart.

I had not voiced these to anyone .

So far I myself was afraid to accept them.

Looking at Rosalie's incarnation everyday was not easy for me.

But time heals all wounds and I was also mellowing with age .

I had forgiven Rosalie long time back in my heart. There was no malice now.

My son had loved her and she too had left her family to be with him when he had been disowned,

Their love was of the stuff found in books and tales.

It was pure and they loved and lived died together. If they would have been alive, I would probably brought them back to the house.

But Jasmine was a mystery to her.

There was so much wisdom in those deep blue eyes.

She was sharp and penetrating like Pratap but there was a strange vulnerable look around her.

She seemed to have known lot of pain.

I wanted to ease away all lines and shadows from that face.

I wanted her to laugh, sing and dance like an eighteen year old.

I wanted her to be as vain as Gayatri and prune and preen herself.

Forming an image of the tomboyish Jasmine preening before the mirror suddenly made me laugh.

No, I can't stand another Barbie doll in this house!

I shook myself out of my reverie.

Jasmine was asleep.

I silently slid out and went to my study.

I sat on my rocking-chair and looked out of the window over the vast expanse of swaying cedars.

My mind was in a daze.

Images of days gone by rolled before my eyes .

Images of Pratap riding on the mountains on his white steed that no one else could muster courage to mount......

Images of Pratap winning laurels.....

Images of Pratap planting cedars and nurturing them.....

Images of Pratap toiling in the fields...

Images of Pratap coming home one day with an English bride......

That was the last time she had seen him.

Silent tears flew down her face.

There was a knock at the door.

Hours had flown by and it was dark.

I suddenly felt weary and tired.

The door opened and Indervadhan entered.

There was a grim look on his face.

"Ma Saheb, are you fine? You look pale and weak. You should rest. I was getting worried for you had locked yourself in for hours. "He said.

"I am fine, Inder, just tired of my brood." I said.

He sat down on the floor and clutched both my hands weathered and wrinkled with age and said gently, " Ma Saheb, you don't need to worry as I here. I have interrogated the maid who hurt Jasmine and she has confessed and spilled the beans."

"Gayatri and Kokila. I know already, son! They both are spiteful and malicious."

"How is Jasmine now? Is she in lot of pain?" He said and the wrath in his eyes said it all.

'I have a good mind to whip that girl one of these days. I feel responsible for what happened to her.' He raved.

"She will heal in a few days and luckily the burns are superficial and will leave no marks." I consoled him.

But I could read his eyes and knew what was coming.

He put his head in my lap and I gently ruffled his hair.

"Inder, you can tell me what is troubling you." I said.

'Ma Saheb, I shall never question what you plan for me for you are my mother and father and only family. But I don't like the spite and deceit in Gayatri. I have tried to accept her with all her faults. But now I am tired. I can't stand her anymore." He fell silent awaiting my response.

I made him get up and gently patted him.

"I know child that you said yes because I made the match. But now I also realise that it was a hasty and wrong decision. I had hoped that maybe she would improve once out of the ambit of her mother. But she is a stupid girl and does not realise what she is going to lose.

I shall not force you .You deserve someone whom you love and be happy with.

We have only done a small engagement ceremony and you have not married her. So don't worry.

But we have to find an opportune moment to do so .If we do anything now her father will rebel which we will be not good for us. First we have to find the money that has been embezzled from the estate by Gayatri's father . So let them feel that they have the upper hand. Once we get our affairs in order, we shall do the needful. As soon as Jasmine gets well, both of you speed up. She is smart and intelligent. But you take care that Gayatri does not realise what is in your mind or she will vent all her fury on poor Jasmine. They should not be warned of what is going to come." I said.

Inderavadhan smiled and gently teased me, "You are a wily old lady."

I smacked him and he walked out with a smile on his face.

I was again alone with Jasmine in the room.

That face swam before my eyes and then another face with windblown hair telling me that one day

She will come back.

I had to know who she was.

I sent for Shanta and gave her some money to buy few loose kurtas for Jasmine.

With the snoopy Shanta out of the way, I crept into their room and locked it from inside.

I rummaged through Jasmine's cupboard.

There was not much.

An old album of her photographs with the sisters of the convent where she had been bought up.

She was always a pretty girl.

I smiled to myself.

As I turned over the album ,there was this picture of Jasmine very young, maybe six to seven years.

She is dressed as a boy with her hair under a cap and I could see a faint reflection of my Pratap in the headstrong expression .

There was a file of her certificates and she had plenty.

The girl was indeed bright.

Hidden below her clothes was an old brown folder.

I opened it and out came the picture of my Pratap with Rosalie and a little baby in arms.

They looked so happy and in love.

And the pretty baby looked like an angel.

It was a newspaper picture yellowed and the file contained all the achievements of Pratap.

Tears flowed down as I lovingly caressed the picture.

As I rummaged further, I found a small frame stashed behind

It was the picture of Pratap ,Rosalie and their little girl busy eating a chocolate. Pratap looked handsome and Rosalie enchanting and the little Jasmine so adorable.

It was so beautiful that I smiled through my tears.

I put back all the things and walked back to my room.

The girl was my flesh and blood.

So that was why I had been attracted to her and found her to be like my own son because she was his daughter.

I had found my son's legacy.

The cedar trees swayed merrily.

They looked happy as I watched them through the window.

But I had to find why she came here.

I had to know her more and why she had not revealed to me her true identity.

She will have to prove her mettle.

She will have to show me that she is Jasmine Pratap Singh and not Jasmine Rosalie Watson.

I shall test her .

"Jasmine dear! Your journey has just begun.You are now under my scanner.Be ready".

I gently patted her head and as I wiped silent tears from her cheeks she clutched my hand tight and not letting it go.

She looked so pristine and child like in her sleep.

I wanted to hold her and shower her with all the love that she deserved.

I wanted to be her grandmother.

That day would soon arrive!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

520K 9.2K 30
BOOK-1: COMPLETED ❤️ 🥇#1 -empowered 🥇#1 -matureaudience 🥇#1 -thewattys2021 🥇#1 -awards2021 🥇#1 -barristerbabu 🥇#1 -rudhita 🥇#1 -anirudh 🥇#1...
120K 10.2K 38
|Featured on WattpadRomanceIN| Published: 14th Feb 2019 Radha's future had been already planned by her parents. According to them, a good house, a g...
192K 16.7K 64
She had always heard, "Her Mr. Right would bring shimmering stars from the sky while she can just sit back and enjoy", and she had always told hersel...
417K 15.7K 39
Jasmine Mills is known as the school slut. She is friends with benefits with the school quarterback and has other side flings. She has one best frien...