The Djinni & The Dropout

By CocoNichole

*Former Title: Grenadine Dreams* When college dropout Naya Burton is tempted with the chance to wish all of h... More

1. The Hangover
2. The Source of Smoke
3. The Djinni and the Dropout
4. The Monkey Demon
5. The Collector
6. The Lie
7. The Nickname
8. The Servant
9. The Awakening
10. Heat
11. Responsibility
12. Grenadine Dreams
13. Hookah Therapy
14. The Aquarium
15. Banana Pancakes
16. Circles
17. The First Day
18. Girl Talk
19. Monkey Business
20. The Guitar
21. The Sleepover
22. Sinbad
24. Roadtrip
25. Pizza and Passengers
26. The Magus
27. The Elephant
28. The Reverend
29. Moving On
30. Cake
31. A Fire Inside
32. Playing with Fire
33. Firesword
34. The Gourd
35. Ashes
36. The Orphan
37. Changelings and Challenges
38. What Could Be
39. Together Again
40. Second Chances
41. Sizzling
42. Finding Naim
43. The Departure
44. Taming Fire
45. The Red Dress
46. The Garden
47. The Goodbye Party
48. The Library
49. Sila
50. The Backup Plan
51. Deserted
52. Auras
53. The Mirage
54. Ghoulish
55. The Oasis
56. Sex Magic
57. The Challenger
58. Bargaining Power
59. The Magus and the Artist
60. Truth Be Told
61. Little Marid
62. The Escape
63. Quiet Fire
64. Gatekeeper
65. 1001 Days
66. Nastarajan
67. Demonology
68. Ghost Empire
69. 1001 Nights
70. The Shinigami
71. Blue Fingers
72. Firekin
73. Guilty Pleasures
74. The Whirlpool
75. Electric Kiss
76. Beautiful Hell
77. Friendship is Magic
78. Broken Bonds
79. Hunger
80. Elevator to Hell
81. Icebreaker
82. The Color of Power, The Shape of . . .
83. The Rising Sun

23. Djinniyah

3.7K 396 65
By CocoNichole

23. Djinniyah

{Naya}

"Shall I kill the pirate?" Ritsu repeated when I didn't answer him the first time.

Was he serious?

"Er – no, Ritsu. Besides, how would you even . . . ?"

The monkey gestured to a sword lying near Sinbad's leg.

The skin on my arms turned to gooseflesh. "Where the hell did that come from?"

Uri stepped forward, crouched and lightly ran his hand over the bejeweled hilt.

"It's a scimitar. Sinbad most likely brought it over when he passed into our realm."

While Uri studied the sword, I took another look at Sinbad and agreed that he indeed looked as if he had traveled from another time. His garments resembled those on the illustrated pages of my book.

I asked, "What are we going to tell him when he wakes up? It won't go over well if we say that he's a fictional character out of a storybook. Explaining to someone that their world doesn't exist can result in some serious mental damage . . . I think."

"I have an idea," Uri said as he stood up. He brought the scimitar with him and weighed it in his hands.

"We can tell him that he was accosted by ghouls on his latest voyage. The ghoul cast him into a dreamworld. Luckily for him, you and I are friendly wandering djinn who have agreed to search for a way to free him of his curse."

I propped my hands on my hips and fixed Uri with a condescending glare. "Excuse me? Ghouls?"

"Lesser djinn," said Uri. "Naya, don't look at me like that. Weren't you reading the book? Characters in Sinbad's realm stumble upon djinn all the time. Trust me, he won't question us."

Ritsu greedily rubbed his hands together. "And if he doesn't, I can kill him, yes?"

I poked him with my big toe. "Since when were you so obsessed with murdering innocent pirates?"

The monkey crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes. "Were you never inclined to ask what kind of demon your beloved djinni decided to bind to this deplorable form? If you haven't realized it by now, I'm not some twittering imp."

I turned to Uri. "What kind of psycho demon did you trap inside this poor monkey?"

Uri rolled his eyes. "That isn't important right now. We need to get Sinbad to a magus named Zayn Naim. He's a djinni sympathizer living in Knoxville, Tennessee. I know that it will be a trek, but we'll be safe there until we can return Sinbad to his world. Not only that, but Zayn can help us cloak our bond so that we don't get spotted by collectors and other devious magi. Hey, Naya . . . what is it? What's wrong?"

It was taking every ounce of my willpower to not pass out. I licked my lips and swallowed whatever unpleasant thing was welling up from my stomach.

"Uri, the reverend lives in Knoxville."

Uri put down the sword and drew closer to me. I was still pissed at him for kissing Erin, but I leaned on him anyway. He held me against his chest and spoke into my ear, "Your father doesn't need to know we're there if that's what you want."

I thought about it for a moment. Then I sighed and said, "No. I've dodged this long enough. I need to face him and tell him what's really going on with me. I suppose I might as well tell him about you too."

Uri stood me upright and turned me around so that we faced each other.

"Why would you do that?"

I tried to explain. "Of course I can't tell him that you're a djinni or that you turned me into one. That's not what I meant."

Uri's mouth curled into a hopeful smile. "Then what did you mean, Naomi?"

To distract Uri from the heat creeping up my face, I scooped up Ritsu and held him like a teddy bear. The monkey relaxed his body and swished his long tail back and forth.

"I mean, Portia already thinks that you and I are dating. It only makes sense to keep the story consistent when we see the reverend."

Uri's grin stretched a little. "This thing happening between us, is it still just a story?"

From my arms, Ritsu muttered, "If this djinni plans to come any closer, put me down and conjure yourselves another room."

A groan came from the ground. Sinbad was waking up.

I let Ritsu go and approached Uri. Resting my fingertips on his sternum, I said, "You know what they say. Every story has a vein of truth."

Uri's dark brown eyes seemed to crackle with red embers.

I said, "Before we take the next step, there is something I have to do first."

Uri watched in amusement as I sauntered away from him. I suspected that he lost his grin when I knelt before the dazed Sinbad and pulled him upright.

"Where am I?" The pirate babbled.

I shut him up with a loaded kiss, during which, I could feel Uri boiling in the background. Especially when Sinbad eagerly kissed me back.

"Now we're even," I breathed happily after letting go of Sinbad. If I had held on any longer, Uri probably would have set fire to the poor man.

I made a move to stand up, but hesitated when I spotted the scimitar lying near my feet. In a flash, I had the arcane sword positioned against the pirate's neck.

"And you," I said through a sweet smile, "Don't you ever think about touching my monkey again. Understand?"

Sinbad's handsome face paled. "Aye."

As I got up and walked away with Ritsu riding on my shoulder, I heard Sinbad say to Uri, "Djinniyah. Beautiful, but utterly terrifying."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 79 27
Rating: 16+ Includes: Language Use of substances Partial nudity Partial violence Mention of sensitive information: Eg: [Rape, suicide, etc] ...
5.3M 227K 44
[Completed] ''I was born in flames and chaos. In one moment, I didn't exist at all. In another, air was tearing through the flesh of my lungs.'' Deep...
833 77 9
In a post-apocalyptic era where the world had been destroyed nearly a thousand years ago to nuclear war, Kingdoms were created in the land of As-Sau'...
68.3K 3.9K 88
Laurel is lonely. Things haven't been easy since she was forced to swiftly change jobs and move to a whole new city and start her life over. She is s...