Empty Promises (1D Harry Styl...

By 5secondsofcaroline

He promised he'd always love me. He promised he'd never leave. He'd promise a lot of things. But those promis... More

Empty Promises - Chapter 2
Empty Promises - Chapter 3
Empty Promises - Chapter 4

Empty Promises

1.6K 12 0
By 5secondsofcaroline

*Flashback*

I giggled as he chased me around our flat.

"Maddie! Come on!" I heard him whine, beckoning me to slow down. He was coming close to catching me, his curly mound of silky brown hair bouncing as he ran out of energy. As if on cue, I felt two warm arms slither around my waist. I squealed as he turned me around and pulled me closer to his perfectly toned chest.

"Babe, you know you can't run from me. I'll catch you every time." He smirked his luscious pink lips and looked down at me, brushing a strand of my long brown hair out of my tan face as he stared into my chocolate brown eyes.

"Is that so, Mr. Styles?" I raised an eyebrow and wrapped my arms loosely around his neck.

"It is, soon to be Mrs. Styles." His smile widened and his eyes glimmered. I removed my left hand from his neck to admire the diamond on my ring finger.

"It really is perfect. I'll never take it off." Harry glanced down at the ring vacating my manicured finger and then up into my eyes, his twinkling their bright green back into mine. He looked attentively down at my lips, and he slowly leaned in, tenderly planting a kiss and wrapping his arms around my small waist.

"..And I'll never stop loving you." He murmured, staring at me lovingly.

*Flashback Ends*

I shook my head, trying to rid myself from the thoughts of him. Harry. I just didn't know why he had to do what he did to me. He promised he would never stop loving me.. He promised never to hurt me.. I was a fool for trusting in his promises. His stupid empty promises.

At that moment, I realized I was crying. I brushed the tears that had rested on my rosy cheeks and slowly got up from my comfy window seat and made my way to my walk-in closet. If I didn't hurry, I was going to be late for my job at the local coffee shop. I threw on my burgundy abrocrombie t-shirt and slid my khaki shorts on. I laced my navy blue keds up and walked over to my antique vanity. I grabbed my blue hairbrush with the gel hand grip and quickly yanked it through my long matted hair. I decided to let it stay the way it was today since my hair was naturally straight anyways. I swiped on some mascara and lipgloss, then reached for my normal over abundance of bracelets, but in the process, I accidentally knocked my jewelry box off the ledge. Everything spilled out.. Including the black velvet box. I picked it up carefully, opening it to reveal the paper airplane necklace that I was going to give to Harry the day I found out about him and Britney...

*Flashback*

I put the key in the lock, turning it slowly so Harry wouldn't hear. I got off early from work and wanted to surprise him by going out to eat at Cheddar's, his favorite restaurant and giving him the paper airplane necklace that I bought earlier that week. I chuckled to myself, hanging my purse on the loop by the door and thinking how happy he'd be when he saw it. I swear that boy has some weird obsession with paper airplanes. The flat was quiet, so I figured he had gone on a walk since his immense amount of cars were still in the cold garage. I sat down on the black leather couch and turned on the tv to pass the time while waiting for him. After 30 minutes, I was getting bored watching the heinous tv soap opera that I had turned on and I headed upstairs. As I was nearing the top step, I heard muffled movements and what seemed like moans coming from our closed bedroom door. I quietly walked down the hallway, approaching the door, praying that what I was hearing wasn't true. I pulled out my phone and went back to the flight of stairs, so Harry couldn't hear me. I called his number and I heard the familiar ring of "Everything About You" by One Direction. The sounds stopped and Harry answered the phone.

"Hey Mads. What's up?" He panted

"I'm on my way home from work early today! I thought we could go get lunch? I'll be there in 10 minutes," I said, trying not to let my voice shake. "Are you ok.. You sound out of breathe."

"Oh it's nothing, I've just been working out on the treadmill. Lunch sounds good, I'll get in the shower real quick and then I'll be ready when you get here." He said in a rushed tone.

I bit my lip. "Ok Haz. Love you!"

"Love you too babe! Bye." He hung up. I quietly walked back down the hallway, to right where I was standing outside of our bedroom door. I heard rushed footsteps and muffled talking. I blinked back tears, waiting for the truth to be revealed. About 10 seconds later, a bleached blonde with a mini-skirt and hot pink tube top opened the mahogany door to our bedroom. She stopped when she saw me and blinked rapidly, frozen in her spot.

"Britney, what are you doing standing in-" Harry's words were cut off when he saw me standing there, with my arms crossed and my eyebrows raised, looking at the both of them. Britney took this as a chance to run and she took off, I heard the front door slam a few seconds later. Harry and I were left staring at each other.

"Mads, I-" he started to say something but I cut him off.

"How could you do this to me?! I thought you loved me!!" I say, my voice getting shaky as I was holding in the tears. I ran down the stairs and out the door. Heading to my car.

"But I do love you!" He said anxiously, following me to my car and getting in the passenger seat.

"GET OUT of my car!" I yell, starting the ignition of my Infiniti G35.

"Come on, just 5 minutes Mads!" He pleads.

"Fine. You have until I get to work." I give in and start driving and he tries to explain. He told me he was "sexually frustrated" because I wanted to wait until our wedding night to have sex. I stopped the car outside of the coffee shop. I get out and he follows suite.

"So, let me get this straight. You cheat on my because I couldn't fulfill your sexual desires?!" I yell, not caring that people that were passing by could hear us.

"Mads I-" He starts to say but I cut him off.

"And it WAS only a month until our wedding!" My voice cracks.

"Wait.. Was?"

"Yea. You got that right! WAS. As in past tense. I am NOT marrying you, Harold Edward Styles!" I yelled.

"But Mads! I'm so sorry!" He pleaded with me. He stepped closer to me but I shoved him away.

"Save it. I don't want to hear any of your bull crap. I'll be by later to pick up my stuff." I started to walk towards the entrance of the shop.

"Maddie, please don't leave me." He begged. I couldn't look him in the eyes. I know if I did, then I'd forgive him right then and there.

"Don't try and talk me out of it Harry. We're over. There is no more "Haddie." Ok?" When I reached the door, he ran in front of it, opening it and pulling me towards a corner booth. I sat down, reluctantly and faced him. "You know what Harry?!" I whisper harshly.. "How long has it been going on?! How long have you been getting some on the side and leaving me in the dark?!"

"Mads.. It was.. 3 months." He said sheepishly, staring down at the floor.

"Harry. We've been planning our lives together for 2 years and this is what I get? For treating you like the only man in the world, I get thrown to the side because your own sexual desires couldn't wait 30 days for the one you could 'never stop loving?' How low can you get Harry? What happened to forever?"

I looked away from him, my anger sinking into the atmosphere and soon replacing it with bitterness and sorrow. I turned to the window beside us in the padded booth we sat in and I glanced at the warm fall weather. A couple sat cuddled up on a park bench near by. I turned away, forcing all the plans I'd had for our future out of the way, a single tear leaking out of my left eye.

"Maddie, don't cry." Harry tried, reaching his thumb out and swiping it under my mascara-bleeding eye, catching the loose water that held the feelings I'd held in so long.

I didn't stop him, but it was too late for me being Mr. Nice Guy and forgiving him. I pushed my freshly painted hands on the table and forced myself out of the seat, placing my sperrys clad feet onto the tile floor.

"Treasure that tear: it's the last one you'll ever get out of this girl." And with that, I took my wedding ring off my finger and placed it silently in front of him, then I walked away.

*Flashback ended*

That was 3 years ago. I was an immature 19 year old. Why am I still thinking about him? I'm over him.. I think. I looked to my clock. It was 8:50 am and my shift started at 9:00. I grabbed my worn out messenger bag and ran out the door, rushing down the street. My car was in the shop so I'd have to run. I sprinted towards the coffee shop. Once I got there, I ran to the break room, grabbed my hunter green apron and tied it behind my back. I punched in my time card, said hello to Martha, my manager, and then headed to the cash register to wait on some customers.

The day had gone by fast. It was full of making coffee, spilling coffee, and cleaning coffee up. It was close to closing time so I started cleaning the coffee pots in the back room. Martha and Ashley had left me to close up the shop so I was all alone. The bell on the shop door rang so I headed up front to help the customer. The man standing there was tall. He was wearing raybans and a Jack Wills hoodie, covering his head. Yet, something about him felt so familiar. Looked familiar.

"What would you like sir?" I asked. I had my back turned to him, getting a cup out of the shelf.

"I'd just like black coffee." He replied. I froze in my spot. His voice. It was Harry. I turned around slowly to face him.

"H-Harry?" I could barely choke the single word out of my mouth. I thought I was over him. But seeing him right then brought back so many thoughts, feelings.. Memories.

He sat down at the plush red bar stool seats that were at the counter by the cash register, his familiar brown curls bouncing as he took off his navy blue hoodie.

Shock flooded my body, and I couldn't move.

"The machine's over there." His familiar teasing personality came back to life, and I turned to take a look at him.

Not much had changed. Same frilly haircut, those familiar twinkling emerald eyes gazed back into mine. The only difference was he seemed more mature and manly than I had remembered.

"You look good." He said. I offered him a weak smile, walking over to the machine to finally make his order.

I sashayed over the countertop and placed the mug in front of him, the steam shimmying out of it's abyss and floating into the air.

I nodded.

"Same to you."

It was an awkward silence. Him sipping his steaming foam cup of coffee and me cleaning the dirty countertops. Neither of us said a word for at least 10 minutes.

"So.. Ah how ya been?" I ask him, finishing up my cleaning and tossing the rag in the storage closet.

"Good. I've just been busy with the world tour and stuff with the boys." He stared at me as he was talking. I remember that from when we were engaged. He'd always look someone in the eye when he was talking. To make sure they were listening and understanding.

"Oh.. I heard about that. Is it fun? Touring and stuff." I ask. Trying to keep the conversation bland so he might leave.

"Oh it's bloody fun! Except all these girls throw themselves at us. That part isn't fun. All they want is sex." I stiffened and walked over to him. Leaning my elbows on the counter and looking him in the eyes.

"Oh really? Because from what I remember, 'slut' is your type." I said blandly and got up. "The shops closing. Finish up your coffee Harry." I grab the keys and wait for him to get up. He was silent as he threw his cup away and walked out the door. I do admit, I felt bad for that comment but I just couldn't help myself. I locked the shop up and started to head home.

I was walking home when I heard someone call my name. I turn around and I saw Harry trying to catch up with me.

"What?" I say, slightly annoyed with him for stopping me.

"Listen, Mads-"

"It's Maddie. No one calls me that anymore." I cut him off.

"Ok, Maddie," He begins again. "I know that I hurt you 3 years ago. I've been trying to get up the nerve to come down to the coffee shop and see if you still work there. Maddie.. I just miss you. So much. And I know, you'll never forget what I did. I know what I did was wrong.. But Maddie, I just love you so much. And I'll never forgive myself for hurting you like I did. And I'm sorry for that. Is there any way we can just.. Just start over?"

I swallow the sob that had begun to form in my throat.

"Harry.. I-I just.." I looked into his pleading eyes and I instantly, my heart melted. "Fine. We'll start over. Clean slate. Got it?" He nodded.

"Can I at least give you a ride home?" He asks hopefully.

"Sure." I give him a half smile and get into his black dodge charger that was parked just around the curb.

"Thanks for the ride." I say, getting out of the car when he got to my apartment building.

"It was my pleasure." He smiled and drove off in the other direction.

************************************

A/N: Hi, this is my first One Direction story! Haha, please comment and tell me if I should go on! And don't forget to vote!:) Oh, and picture of Maddie on the side!

Also, I'd like to thank my amazing friend, Priscilla Williams (Priscillakaye16 on wattpad) for helping me with my story! Without her, this story would be complete rubbish! She is also helping me with the chapters after this one, so check her stories out!

-Caroline thinks Priscilla is awesome

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

153K 11.1K 61
BOOK #2 They say love heals scars, but Seokmin's scars were lessons-bitter reminders that twisted him into a creature of darkness. His life was a ser...
75.5K 2K 30
Izuku Midoriya, neglected and bullied due to his lack of a quirk, endured abuse from his family and friends, especially his twin sister Izumi and Kat...
1.9M 83.1K 127
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
369K 11.6K 83
"I have a secret, a well-kept secret for the last almost seven years. The real reason why I went into hiding." After years in a complicated relatio...