Where Shadows Breathe [Legola...

By Stars_Alight

Hope suffocates in the place where shadows breathe. Mirkwood, once a great forest, has fallen into darkness... More

Official Trailer
Cast of Characters
Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One: Midnight
Chapter Three: Viridity
Chapter Four: Brontide
Chapter Five: Solivagant
Chapter Six: Cacophony
Chapter Seven: Nebulous
Chapter Eight: Adumbrate
Chapter Nine: Virulence
Chapter Ten: Daggers
Chapter Eleven: Agowilt
Chapter Twelve: Sussurrus
Chapter Thirteen: Trust
Chapter Fourteen: Comforts
Chapter Fifteen: Ellipsism
Chapter Sixteen: Breath
Chapter Seventeen: Evasions
Chapter Eighteen: Secrets
Chapter Nineteen: Fear
Chapter Twenty: Run
The End is Coming
2 | 2 | 19
Chapter Twenty-One: Perfidious[ON HOLD]

Chapter Two: Igneous

783 77 102
By Stars_Alight

Metal clinked against wood and whetstones ran along blades. Weapons, twice examined, were shouldered while two lines of warriors filed outside to their awaiting mount. Faces were tense but determined.

They were the sounds of preparations. The signals of battle.

When I had met with my warriors, a pensiveness had hung in the air. I could feel that they already knew what I would be telling them; that they were simply waiting for word of mouth to become fact. When I had told them all of that we had found—explaining what are response would be—an audible sigh of relief had sounded. At first, I was confused but gradually I understood that they had feared we would do nothing: something far worse in their eyes. To them—to all of us—this opportunity was a blessing.

Anything to rid the forest of the shadow that clung to far more than just the trees.

I stood in front of the gates, watching. It was sad to think that, should I make some foul decision, not every one of these warriors would return. Those that did not support our means of protection may say that the idea was cynical—to ponder what death might come.

But it was better to be glad of survivors than taken aback by losses. The elite company was skilled, but even we could not expect to escape death unscathed.. Many were young, but not lamentably so. Only two of my warriors were wed with ellyth in the stronghold. The fathers were needed too much to be lost in this fight.

The seconds passed slowly as our haphazard preparations fell into seamless place. It may be a day earlier than anticipated, but perhaps this was for the best. An air of discontent and anxiety had been clinging to the stronghold in my warrior's eagerness to begin our fight, their emotion encroaching even upon my own peace.

My eyes passed over our ranks once more. Seventeen gazes turned upon me.

This contingent was the best our ranks could offer. They were all those especially trained to be under my command, and though the demands of the realm might press their strength, no one would dare call them disloyal.

The spiders would outnumber us, undoubtedly, but we were prepared. I raised one of my knives above my head, turning to face the top of the stairs to the palace. My warriors did the same, pressing a fist to their chest in reverence of their king.

My adar, face expressionless, nodded, his blessing imparted in the gesture.

We mounted our horses. No words were needed as we moved forward. Forven came beside me, tilting his head in acknowledgement. All was ready. The gates creaked open, water cascading in small waterfalls around it. My warriors mimicking me, I dug my heels into my horse's side, spurring her forward and into the depths of the shadowed forest.

It was not long before we encountered the hoard of spiders. The guard had been right—they were coming, and much too rapidly for comfort. I slowed my mount, drawing my bow. I sighted an arrow, and breathed deeply. As rapid as the action was, my thoughts slowed it.

Draw back. Find the space beneath the eyes. Stare down the shaft. Breathe in—

And out.

The fletching whispered as it slipped from my hand. I blinked and when my eyes opened, the arrow had found its mark. Though not dead, it had been hindered and that was enough. The fight was only just beginning. My warriors drew their bows, weapons releasing faster than could be comprehended. An hour passed in distant battle, and we sent our horses back to the stronghold when they became more of a hindrance than help.

We could only wound the spiders at our distance, and they could only spin webs for us to catch ourselves in. One of my warriors had been seriously caught; I had immediately sent warriors to free him, but one of the young spiders had nicked him with its fangs. The venom was hardly life threatening—it would likely wear off before the battle was through—but still I worried.

I decided we had fought long enough to be convincing—leastways for a spider's mind—and ordered a retreat. The spiders would not follow. They would count this as a victory. My warriors knew our plan and obeyed without question.

Despite their best intentions, vengeful regret emitted from their actions. Ai, what battle had done to the hearts of the edhil.

Ducking amid and above the greenery, we hid in the highest branches the trees could offer, darkness as our veil. I looked out, watching the spiders for any unexpected happening. They were recuperating, but unable to dislodge our arrows from where the shafts protruded. It was a small victory already, watching them scurry in panicked preparations, but the greatest satisfaction was yet to come.

We regrouped, high in the branches of a tree that stood distant from the battle. I placed a hand on the tree's trunk, conveying silent thanks for its shelter, then glancing at each of my warriors. Aside from the single injured warrior, they all seemed no worse for wear—perhaps slightly fatigued but they had lasted through much worse circumstances. I tore my mind from it, turning to the matter at hand.

"Is everyone present?"

Forven grunted affirmation.

I nodded, keeping my eyes on the agitated spider's nests. "Good. Then we will begin again at midnight. You three—" I gestured to the ellyn immediately to my left— "will hold back until my signal. The six of you—" this time those in the branches just above me— "will spread over this quarter, and Forven, you with them. Act first upon Forven's order. The rest will come with me." I looked back at my warriors. "Does everyone understand?"

Agreements were muttered, some fringed with excitement and others apprehension. Regardless, they were prepared. Little else mattered.

"Good," I said. A weight rested upon me.

The forest darkened as did the night. We were minutes away from enacting our plan, and I leaned back against the tree, being sure that it and the other trees would uphold their word.

You're certain you will be able to assist us as we need? A burning forest is not a complication we can afford.

The tree bristled, but then softened. We do not wish flame upon ourselves. Cease your worry, Thranduilion. It is unfounded and will only do you harm.

A smile brushed my lips despite the circumstances. Hannon-le, mellon-nin.

Be careful, Thranduilion.

I began my descent through the branches, my warriors following. We reached the ground without the spiders' notice. My warriors broke off into their contingents, wooden staves in hand. Seconds passed in agonizing lethargy until I felt rather than heard the forest go silent. All was ready.

I slipped two fingers in my mouth, cupping one hand over the other, breathing a piercing whistle, mimicking the call of a falcon An answering call met my own. A heartbeat later, the first light was lit like a beacon, illuminating the dark expanse. The wielder of it stood in the remaining shadows, as did we all, another torch awakening. Four more joined it until the spiders swarmed around in mute terror. One moment, the flames flickered; the next, they roared, clinging to webbing.

I crouched lower to the ground, waiting as the scene unfolded. The spiders scurried in an attempt to discover what threat had presented itself. We had used flame to dispel spider holdings before. This time, however, the holding was so much larger... I had bargained with the trees. They would do their best to keep the winds flowing, but could only last for so long. We were gambling. If this fire lost control, too much of the forest would be left in total devastation. Dead, charred--this gamble had to fulfill its purpose.

The red flames snapped upon fallen twigs, but did not spread farther. A sigh of relief escaped my lips, and I whistled again. This time, the spiders recognized my call. They shrieked as the next wave of heat ignited and whisked into the area. I watched the branches around us sway, the trees themselves seeming to move. The spiders began to scurry away from the two sectors that acted as a flaming barrier. Now they crept nearer to my contingent, and I smirked. I raised a hand. Wait.... My warriors obeyed, holding their torch stave at the ready. I clenched my fist, preparing to give the order. And.... "Now."

We each struck our stave upon a rock and the stave burst from wood into flame. Unlike our comrades, we had no method by which to catch the nests on fire. Instead, we cast them onto the ground, watching as the wall of fire built. Though my vision was hindered, I could hear the spiders' squeals. "Move in," I said. "Hold nothing back. Blood will be spilled." And I prayed it would not be our own.

I leapt into the branches of a nearby tree. With fractured murmurs, the tree informed me that he, along with the other trees, was waning. We had to be quick. I slid across an outstretching branch; upon reaching the end, I slipped down into the midst of the chaos. Forven had gotten his warriors into the fight quicker than I had, ever the brash headed ellon. A ferocity awoke inside me, and I drew my knives, swinging them in a circle around me. That done, I moved forward, relieving the spiders of life. Some spiders moved through the area in turmoil, body by body gradually being disintegrated as the flames had caught upon one of their appendages. A simple slash to the side decapitated them.

The battle continued to wage, the fire encompassing the spiders and fulfilling its purpose. The young of the beasts were killed along with the spiders that had hidden in their nests. The spiders' numbers dwindled, and as I uttered a call for retreat another cry lifted onto the air. I twisted wildly to face the sound, and watched one of my warriors fall. A spider, small but nonetheless lethal, had its fangs buried into his shin. I clenched my jaw and ran towards them. "Go!" I shouted to the other warriors, not sparing breath for further instruction.

This command they questioned more than any other I had given during the battle, but they would not be accused of subordination. With as much haste as I could muster, I reached the spider, plunging a knife into its head.

Such death was a gift—much kinder than it deserved.

The warrior was struggling to stand, but the spiders venom was already taking effect. His eyes were glazed, stance unsteady. I slung one of his arms across my shoulders and began to pull us both out of the blaze. As far as I could see, no spiders remained but the trees efforts were weakening. I could hear their groans and some of them called for me to hurry out.

I hastened my retreat as much as I could without stumbling. I would not have them risk themselves for my own inadequacy.

For the first time in the night, smoke began to fill the area. I coughed, taking shallower breaths. The trees strength was wavering. Squinting in the black air, I searched for the safest and most efficient means of escape. Just before I decided on a less than desirable route, a presence came beside me. I turned to find myself face to face with Forven.

Forven's voice lifted over the roar of the flames. "This way—" and leapt into the air, grasping a lower hanging branch and reaching a hand down for my injured charge. I lifted him up, and left him in Forven's grasp. With them both out of harm's way, I heaved myself into the branches. We retreated to the outskirts of the flames, watching as the trees allowed the fire's full fury to be released. As soon as the flames roared higher, we were again in action digging some tool into the ground and running along of the trees' perimeters.

The smoke was suffocating, but the faster we completed our task the sooner we could rid ourselves of of its stifling thickness. Little by little, closer to the center, we moved, feeling the heat lessen as we moved.

Finally, the forest was silent in more peace than fear.

The trees had retreated into themselves, and my warriors stood or sat peacefully. Those who were able attended to those who were injured. Only two injuries were counted as more than passing blows, and even those could be tended to, thank the Valar. In the days to come, we would need every warrior.

Forven had come beside me but had yet to say anything. I spoke low to him but kept force behind my words. "I told you to get out."

"And I swore an oath to protect you before all else. You should not have been the one to charge after him."

"But neither should anyone else have."

His lips pursed but he said nothing.

No matter the circumstance, neither of us could give our word to stay out of a battle for our own sake. Councilors may say that Eryn Galen needed her prince, but she needs a kingdom to be ruled more. "Rest for now." I said. "We return upon the morn."

_______________________________

Good? Bad? Awful? Comments are appreciated!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 10.1K 74
"Morirรญa por tรญ" โ€ข Historia de Alexa Grimes, de 22 aรฑos, Militar, hija del Sheriff Rick Grimes. En medio del apocalipsis conoce a Daryl Dixon, un ca...
253K 17.7K 91
Todas las personas se cansan. Junior lo sabรญa y aun asรญ continuรณ lastimando a quien estaba seguro que era el amor de su vida.
140K 19K 105
๐…๐€๐Š๐„ ๐‚๐‡๐€๐‘๐Œ || ๐™ด๐š• ๐šŽ๐š—๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š—๐š๐š˜ ๐šŽ๐šœ ๐šŽ๐š—๐š๐šŠรฑ๐š˜๐šœ๐š˜, ๐šข ๐šŒ๐š˜๐š— ๐šœ๐šž ๐š‹๐šŽ๐š•๐š•๐šŽ๐šฃ๐šŠ ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š›รก ๐šš๐šž๐šŽ ๐š๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š›๐š›๐šŽ๐š™๐š’๐šŽ๐š—๐š๐šŠ๐šœ. Teen Wolf...
122K 14.3K 25
SLOWBURN :: Es difรญcil explicar cรณmo mierda habรญa llegado aquรญ. Se supone que solo era un pequeรฑo secreto, mi pequeรฑo secreto; ese tipo de secretos q...