RENAISSANCE 2.0 - Book 2 - Sa...

Από deancmoore

Recovering from his recent breakdown, Robin finds startling superhuman abilities emerging. And he's starting... Περισσότερα

RENAISSANCE 2.0 Book 2
Chapter 64
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 67 - insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 67A - Insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 67B - Insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 67C - Insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 67D - Insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 67E - Insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 67F - Insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 67G - Insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 67H - Insert - No Longer Available
Chapter 68 - No Longer Available
Chapter 69 - No Longer Available
Chapter 70 - No Longer Available
Chapter 71 - No Longer Available
Chapter 72 - No Longer Available
Chapter 73 - No Longer Available
Chapter 74 - No Longer Available
Chapter 75 - No Longer Available
Chapter 76 - No Longer Available
Chapter 77 - No Longer Available
Chapter 78 - No Longer Available
Chapter 79 - No Longer Available
Chapter 80 - Part 1 - No Longer Available
Chapter 80 - Part 2 - No Longer Available
Chapter 81 - No Longer Available
Chapter 82 - No LongerAvailable
Chapter 83 - No Longer Available
Chapter 84 - No Longer Available
Chapter 85 - No Longer Available
Chapter 86 - No Longer Available
Chapter 87 - No Longer Available
Chapter 88 - No Longer Available
Chapter 89 - No Longer Available
Chapter 90 - No Longer Available
Chapter 91 - No Longer Available
Chapter 92 - No Longer Available
Chapter 93 - No Longer Available
Chapter 94 - No Longer Available
Chapter 95 - No Longer Available
Chapter 96 - No Longer Available
Chapter 97 - No Longer Available
Chapter 98 - No Longer Available
Chapter 99 - No Longer Available
Chapter 100 - No Longer Available
Chapter 101 - No Longer Available
Chapter 102 - No Longer Available
Chapter 103 - No Longer Available
Chapter 104 - No Longer Available
Chapter 105 - No Longer Available
Chapter 106 - No Longer Available
Chapter 107 - No Longer Available
Chapter 108 - No Longer Available
Chapter 109 - No Longer Available
Chapter 110 - No Longer Available
Chapter 111 - No Longer Available
Chapter 112 - No Longer Available
Chapter 113 - No Longer Available
Chapter 114 - No Longer Available
Chapter 115 - No Longer Available
Chapter 116 - No Longer Available
Chapter 117 - No Longer Available
Chapter 118 - No Longer Available

Chapter 65

83 11 10
Από deancmoore

Robin and Drew sat silently facing one another from opposite ends of the couch. They looked like a pair of bookends without merit, considering the empty shelf-space separating them, and the lack of good ideas pressed up between them. Drew had her straight backed, prim and proper pose on for good measure. Robin hoped the steel rod running up her spine, helping to keep the men's suit she had on fully pressed, could be spared from holding up whatever now-crumbling edifice it had been yanked from without inviting calamity. 

But then, Robin realized, this was the first time Drew had gotten a load of him in female form, tits front and center, marching forth into the future forever ahead of her brain perched behind them. The latter now strictly in a supportive role, no longer in a leadership capacity, or so it had to feel from Drew's perspective.  

"How did you fare in Washington?" Robin asked. "I don't know how you do it. It must be like fighting a war on two fronts." 

Drew refused to rise to the bait, even before Robin recognized his unwitting faux pas. "Sorry, I didn't get a chance to brief you before I left. As you know, the coal lobby just kicked off a $40 million campaign to manipulate the election cycle. In 2008, the industry planted questions in town hall events to coerce candidates like John McCain, Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama to support coal-friendly policies. This year, the effort seems quite similar - but the first ad of the campaign actually mocks Occupy Wall Street." At the news, Robin tightened, and his jaw clenched. They were going after his peeps.  

Drew, after giving her recent revelation a chance to sink in, pressed on, with her usual sense of impeccable timing. "During the ad, an image of Occupy protesters flashes across the screen as the narrator states: 'It's time we focus on reality instead of rhetoric.'" Robin was already hyperventilating. Drew empathetically gave him a chance to collect himself. 

"The coal lobby thinks 'reality' is a world dependent on their dangerous product," Drew said. "Coal-fired power plants kill at least thirteen thousand people a year by spewing over three hundred and eighty-six tons of pollutants, including mercury, into the air. Coal is also the most significant driver of carbon emissions, making the industry responsible for global warming that will cause more extreme weather, droughts, famine, crop failures, mass extinction of various species, as well as flooding. Coal is hardly even a source of middle class jobs given efforts by major coal companies to bust their respective unions." 

"You told Congress this?" 

"I told Obama this, after speaking with numerous senators, congressmen, and subcommittee people. And I didn't just go in armed with words. I went in fortified with flow charts, Power Points, and an iPad app to make Al Gore jealous." 

Robin's eyes ran with tears of joy. He couldn't believe Drew was championing one of his causes for him, in ways he could never hope to match. He wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to peddle such influence, even if he had the money to do so; he just didn't have the schmoozing schmaltzy demeanor required for the job. She was empowering him to be effective in the world instead of flickering aimlessly in the wind like a candle-flame only to be snuffed out by power interests much like herself. The bad news was, this meant Drew's insecurities about the two of them staying together had flared to the surface again. The good news was, he never felt closer to her than he did just then. He could no longer separate being played from wanting to play. 

Drew articulated the rest of her agenda, no doubt responding to the tears in Robin's eyes in the manner of a crow to a hummingbird that had just hit its head against a widow. "And just as coal pollutes the air and water, the coal lobby pollutes our political system with tens of millions of dollars spent on influencing legislators, funding front groups, and broadcasting ridiculous propaganda."  

She sipped her coffee, Robin surmised, as much to give Robin a chance to calm himself between the electric shocks Drew was sending through his system, as to give herself chance to decide what to do with the revelation of soon-to-be-female Robin seated before her. She set the cup down, and added, judiciously, "ACCCE, the lobbying group behind the campaign, is funded by coal-dependent utility companies like American Electric Power, and major coal companies like Arch Coal, Alpha Natural Resources, Consol Energy, and Peabody. GE Energy, a subsidiary of GE, also funds ACCCE."  

"You traditionally support them in your lobbying efforts in Washington." 

"I quietly withdrew my money from the politicians aligned with them and shifted it to those more-easily influenced," Drew said. 

"Drew, you didn't have to do this for me. I appreciate it enormously but-". 

She cut him off. "It would have been nobler if I'd taken you with me so you could see how it's done for yourself. You may not always have me around to rely on." 

The sentiment, which Robin found more sincere than calculated for effect, nonetheless shook Robin. He'd never once considered life without her, and found, even now, the thought intolerable.  

"Maybe going from female to male allows you to come at the world differently. Maybe from now on you'll debate the big picture with me less as a matter of good form, and more as something you enjoy. Maybe you'll help me keep track of and prioritize my own ideas now less for the political advantage it gives you in our relationship and more for upgrading my thinking based on its own merits." Robin had meant only to flatter, but could see from Drew's face, his familiar foot-in-mouth syndrome had done more injury than harm.  

Gingerly changing the subject, Drew said, "I hope you appreciate some of the eco-conscious changes I made around the house for you." 

"Honestly, I hadn't noticed, but thank you. You make me feel like I'm doing more to impact world change indirectly through you than through all my other efforts combined. About that-". 

She seemed to know what he was going to say next and waved him off. 

"Honestly, Drew, insecurity doesn't become you." 

Drew smiled charitably at the clumsy effort to make her feel better. "Marriages are always in part a contractual arrangement. Hopefully you'll think of me as doing no more than managing the business end of our relationship." 

"Just so you don't start substituting tofu for inch-and-a-half-thick steaks in the sauté pan on my account." 

Drew smiled less charitably this time. "Perish the thought. This is me being me, not me bending myself into something to please you. The fact I'm more me in your presence than in your absence is something of an aphrodisiac." 

"You mean I bring out your inner master manipulator. I'm not sure how to respond to that." 

Drew smiled. 

"I love KAC by the way." It took Drew a second to translate what he was saying.  

"Is that what you call her? Robin, you really need to learn to treat artificial life better than you do real people. Give her a name, a real name, or better yet, let her choose her own, not some acronym."  

Robin looked up and around, surprised when KAC didn't take advantage of the opportunity to whip out a smart-ass retort. "She must be giving me the silent treatment, considering a set up like that." 

Drew offered their lover's smile, finally, that Robin had been waiting for all this time, the expression relaying just how much delight she took in Robin.  

"KAC tells me Just Drew - the name for the doll-like replica of yourself - has broken off from her, and suffers from split personality." 

"You really have to stop traumatizing the home appliances, Robin. Besides, aren't you the one arguing for robots' rights all the time?" 

Robin's eyes filled with tears at the thought of someone knowing him well enough to make sure he toed the line better with regard to his own credos. Though Robin was sure once the trauma of making KAC and Just Drew's acquaintances had passed, he would have found his way past his emotional blinders to acting more nobly. 

"It's fine to ask me why I chose to become a woman in your absence, Drew." Robin expected Drew to turn a shade of pink, but even now, she was too much of a pro to be easily thrown.  

"Do you even know?" Drew asked. 

Touché, Robin thought. It was a little unnerving sometimes how Drew could know his own mind better than he did.  

"I thought it might help me shed my sexual bigotry and hang-ups over things as trivial as personal plumbing." 

"One small step for humanity, one really big step for you." 

"Ha-ha," Robin said. 

Drew smiled diplomatically, her eyes welling up. Robin still wasn't as good at reading people yet as Drew, so wasn't sure how much of those tears were appreciation for the depth of Robin's love, or guilt over what she'd driven him to do, or early stages of grief, struggling to deal with the loss of the male-Robin she had known and loved all these years. The tears might have been on account of all three, Robin realized finally. 

"I'm ashamed it never occurred to me," Drew said, "to use your pro-human-rights politics to suggest you get over your prejudices and predilections in this manner." 

Robin laughed. "Maybe you realized if I had the idea on my own, I'd be able to own it better." 

"No, Robin, while such a move isn't beneath me, I suppose the real reason I didn't think of it is my sex change is about holding on, not letting go. Leave us to approach the same topic from entirely opposite vantage points." 

When Drew said that, Robin instantly felt better and more assured than ever about this undertaking to wither his gonads. He realized that, instead of the two of them fighting clumsily and heroically against all odds to stay together, long after the blush had faded from the cheeks of their relationship, this was just them being them, forever caught in a yin-yang dance with each other as natural, and as unforced as yogic breathing. The same realization seemed to reach Drew's brain at the same time, perhaps by way of her face-reading that minimized on the need for dialogue, causing her to relax deeply and profoundly.  

The Zen moment would pass, Robin knew-this complete inner peace from within which it was easier to appreciate the true nature of their relationship. In its place would be the fleeting insecurities in ever new guises rushing to fill the void left the instant they drifted from mindfulness and downshifted into ordinary waking consciousness, and they became once again ego-identified. But this moment for now and forever forward would be there to anchor their relationship; it would be a place to which they could eternally return.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

The Spectre Από Jacob Mackey

Μυστήριο / Τρόμου/ Θρίλερ

189 17 28
What if I told you that we are not all human? What if I told you that a percentage of the world population are genetic hybrids? What If I told you Wa...
7.7K 181 13
Y/N stumbles upon four mutant turtles but one catches her eye. They both wonder if the feelings they have for each other is something that they want...
Spots (mxm) Από TheoryKierei

Εφηβική Φαντασία

4M 88.7K 38
Book one of the Shifter Series. Arron had been asking his father if they could move for the better half of his freshman year because of the other sha...
RENAISSANCE 2.0 Book 1 - Sample Chapters Από Dean C. Moore

Επιστημονικής φαντασίας

17.1K 1.3K 69
A collapsed global economy. And a world gone to hell. People going postal. There seems but one thing to do: cave in to the Herculean pressures, or...