A Twist Of Fate

By theenchantedworld

Natasha Myer didn't ever think about Riley (Zeke) Murray 'till they walked together in the rain. Now, their... More

A Twist Of Fate
Chapter 1: The Scandalous Party

Chapter 2 - The Monday After...

94 5 1
By theenchantedworld

Zeke’s P.O.V

I made the only real thing in my life an unpredictable mess. I might’ve even destroyed it. All I knew was that things won’t be the same.

I had that feeling as soon as I entered the student-filled halls of Crystal Bay High. Naturally, everyone was discussing Courtney something’s party; the hook-ups, the break ups and the bad music. But, all I could remember that night was Natasha’s face when she saw the bruises and the kiss, I couldn’t forget the kiss.

Waking up on Sunday with a killer-headache and an unbelievably time-consuming hangover didn’t help me get my head around the events of the previous night; instead they just caused me to remember everything in a more stressful way.

About how we said our goodbyes and Tasha left, and how I kept drinking. How the juices jumbled up every single thought racing through my mind. I don’t even remember getting home.

I woke up on Monday morning feeling better, not totally healed, but better. I debated with myself about whether going to school was the smart thing to do; in the end I decided I needed to face the music.

So there I was, feeling like an idiot standing in the busy halls.

“Hey Z,” an all-too familiar voice called out. I turned around to find Chace, staring at me, looking as spaced out as possible.

“Hi Chace,” I nodded in reply.

He gave a full surveillance around the hall. Then, he motioned for me to go outside with him, “we’ll be out the back.”

“Okay.” I said, watching as he strutted outside, shoulders low and all.

I didn’t have a choice but to go after him and meet at the back, it was just done that way. Walking slowly, I passed majority of the lockers, I quickly glanced at Tash’s. She wasn’t there.

I cringed as I felt the cool breeze slap my face when I stepped foot out the doors and into the back-yards of the school. I knew where the other boys were, they were sitting at the back, leaning against some tree, probably smoking.

It didn’t take long for the smell to guide me to them.

“Zeke, want a light?” A dark-haired, spaced Carlos asked.

I looked at the cigarette, like really looked at it.

I never usually smoked, only occasionally. Ending up like Dominic, half-passed out and stinking of cigarette, wasn’t how I wanted to spend my time.  But today was different.

“Light me.” I told Carlos before taking a seat next to Nate.

Out of all the boys: Nate, Chace, Carlos and Dom, I was closest to Nate. He understood better than the others did and sometimes, that was all I needed.

Carlos gave me a sleep smile before handing me a lit cigarette. Nate shot me a look of concern, or maybe it was confusion, I hardly ever smoked. Only during a handful of occasions did I actually do it.

The others didn’t really seem to notice though, they never did.

I remember first meeting Chace, it was 2 weeks into my freshman year and he was smashed. I did a little bit of covering up for him, and he initiated me into the group. Soon later, Nate was accepted too. Chace, Dom and Carlos were one year older than us, so it was quite a privilege to be accepted. Although a few weeks later I regretted ever setting eyes on them, it was the scandal that gave me a rep.

The first puff of the cigarette stick always led to a few issues with my chest. I coughed it out and took inhaled and exhaled ‘till I felt sure my mind was craving nothing but nicotine.

After 15 minutes, I finished the first stick. I hated smoking, like really hated it. But it was an on/off addiction for me. I didn’t want it to get any worse, so I declined the offer for a second smoke.

The morning bell rang, as I lay on the damp grass and watched everyone rush back indoors. Nate got up and began to walk inside; he gave everyone a quick goodbye before heading back inside. Chace snickered in response. Nate didn’t care.

Even though Nate hung out with us, he was pretty good with his school work. He was a B-grade student, which unfortunately gave Chace, Carlos and Dom reasons to mock him.

20 minutes passed and a smoke cloud was forming above my head. This was usually how most of my mornings were spent, chilling with Chace, Dom and Carlos while all the other students were taking their normal classes.

I never really bothered with keeping up my attendance, the classes I dragged myself into were only a luck few, and only if I was dragged into it. English was the only class I tried not to miss; it was the only similar class that I shared with Natasha. I instantly sat upright when it hit me; English was first period on Monday morning. English was now. “I’m going inside.” I said, quietly before I power-walked inside the building. I ignored the snickering coming from behind me.

“Glad to see you’ve decided to join us today, Zeke.” Ms. Bloom greeted in an unpleasant tone as I walked into class.

“Better late than never, miss.” I grinned sheepishly at her.

The desks were set in their usual way, in rows, one behind another. I scanned the second row, and felt content when I spotted Natasha’s wavy brown hair tied up into a high ponytail. Satisfied, I began to walk toward the back row.

“Zeke, you’re sitting front row today.” Ms Bloom called out, in her teacher tone.

I swore under my breath.

“No need for the language.”

I gave her a lazy grin, “but there’s also no need to put me in the front, is there?”

“You’re late. You have to deal with the consequences, Zeke. Besides, it’s either you listen to me, or detention.”

My English teacher, Ms. Bloom was the best high school teacher at the school. She wasn’t strict, and she wasn’t that angered by my actions. She was calm. No class had ever seen her angry. Defeated, I slowly walked back towards the front of the classroom; there was only one spare seat, the late seat.

“Anyway,” she started talking as I sat down in the front. “Let’s get into more Jane Austen, shall we?”

Groans from the class echoed around the room.

“No need to be so enthusiastic.” Ms. Bloom said, still smiling. “I’m going to assume that most of you have actually read Pride and Prejudice, BUT, for those who haven’t, here’s your last chance before the essay.”

Even more groans.

“First impressions.” She said, brushing the noise off, “tell me what you think of them.” She looked at us and decided, “In groups, you’re all going to tell me what you think about them. Tell me what they mean to you. I want 850 words from each group.”

Now, there were sighs.

“Oh, don’t be happy just yet. I’m going to be grouping you.”

The sighs turned into groans and complaints. Ms. Bloom ignored them, just like she always did.

“Group one:Blake,Georgiaand Nate.” She began to call, “Group two: Elise, Patrick and Kim. Group three: Patricia, Laura and Karl. Group four: Zeke, Arthur and Natasha.”

I sighed as I heard my name. I hated it when teachers grouped us, just like how I hated group assignments in general. The other group members tended to either be afraid, or ignore me. Natasha was in the fourth group too, though, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad.

“And, group eight: Anna, Nicole and Jeff.” Ms. Bloom said, reading the last names off of the clipboard she held, “now, all of you. Go. Plan.”

The shuffling of seats and quiet voices was happening all around. It took a while, but everyone eventually got into their groups.

“Zeke, that means you too.” Ms. Bloom said, giving me a stern look.

I swallowed hard and turned around. There she was, her brown, wavy hair was tied high with wisps of hair surrounding her face, making her pale green eyes more vibrant. Her expression was a mixture of feelings, but she attempted to hide them by pursing her lips together, so tight, that it formed a straight line.

“Have you read the book?” she asked, when we were sitting in out ‘allocated’ seatings in the room, we got a corner. Arthur was conveniently away, so it was just us.

“Nope,” I said instantly. I don’t read. And I didn’t care about Pride and Prejudice.

“Well,” she said, shakily, “that might be an issue.”

It wasn’t hard to see that she wasn’t herself today. She was a little more jumpy, and a little more nervous. She had a right to be, I guess, it was obvious why. The night of the party, it was understandable. I had changed her attitude, what else did I change?

“Well, it’s about this girlElizabethBennet, whose mother is desperate to marry her siblings off. The eldest sister, Jane met this guy, Mr. Bingley-“

“I really couldn’t care less about the book, Tash. Are you alright?”

“I…” she cut off, and froze. Her eyes were looking into mine with such confusion, possibly even anger.

“What’s the matter?”

“Riley, were you smoking?” she asked, with more confidence than her previous statements.

I winced when she said Riley, but I felt nervous when it was time to answer. Why was she so strange all of a sudden?

 I ran a hand through my hair, “a little.” I told her.

 Then, for the first time her expression became unreadable. It wasn’t happy nor sad, or confused, or nervous. She was just solemn, and frozen. I knew I must’ve struck some forbidden chord.  Natasha avoided my gaze and started at her palms.

“So, anyway” she said, using the same confident tone, “Mr.Bingley is trying to pursue Jane, who’s falling for him.” She quietened down instantly.

I opened my mouth to say something, but was shot down by an angry look in her eye.

An intense 3 minutes of complete silence was broken by Ms. Bloom. “Is everything okay here?”

Natasha nodded.

“Zeke?” Ms. Bloom asked.

“I don’t know.” I said, watching Natasha’s expression falter for a few seconds. It was my fault, just like everything else. If I hadn’t done what I did, then being grouped together wouldn’t be too big of an issue, but it was. So I made a rational choice as I watched her smile fade. I stood up and walked out, without any hesitation. It was easy.

I spent the rest of the day actually attending my classes, well, most of them. I skipped Maths, but went to double Wood Work, which I was behind in and decided to bludge the second half, then after a lunch spent dozing off in the library; there was double Bio, which I was taking due to my older brother.

It wasn’t long ‘till the day was over and the final bell rang. Corridors were packed, loud and dangerous. Getting out was the easiest way to go. With my bag slung across my back, I headed outside.

Instinctively, I looked around for Natasha. For a few seconds, I thought that she was sick again, but she wasn’t. I remembered the scene in English class.

Feeling slightly defeated, I decided it would be best to walk alone. I wouldn’t go to school the next day, I would avoid it. I would avoid dealing with her and I would avoid her. Maybe it would be for the best, maybe I should’ve started a while ago.

With my mind made up, I embarked on the journey home.

It didn’t surprise me to see her in front of me as I walked; it was almost as though she was thinking the same thing, which was impossible considering how different we both were. But, maybe she needed to get away too.

I thought it was best to ignore her. She obviously didn’t share my views when she turned around and stopped. She froze for a few seconds, but then took a few steps towards me.

“Riley” Just my name. A statement, not a question. I answered it anyway.

“Yeah?”

She ran towards me and wrapped her arms around me. Her head was resting against my shoulder. I pulled her in closer. I could feel her breathing against me, and I could hear it through my ear.

I could also hear a muffle.

“What?” I said, close to her ear.

She lifted her head, “I’m sorry.” She stated. “I don’t like... fighting, or whatever it was that was happening.” She let go of me, and was walking alongside me.

“I’m sorry.” I said, taking a hold of her hand, “I don’t like whatever it was either.”

When I looked at her, her cheeks were a light red in colour. I grinned at her.

We walked home just like any other day, except today, we were holding hands. And it felt right. 

Continue Reading