New Raine

Bởi scadeaux

Nineteen year old Raine Lazzaro, hated her home life. She struggled with her low paying, part time job, while... Xem Thêm

New Raine
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five

Chapter Four

243 8 0
Bởi scadeaux

      “Wait for me, Raine,” Greer called out. I stopped and smiled. He rushed up and gave me a hug. “What have you been up to? I haven't heard from you in a couple of weeks.”

      I gave my best screw you smile. I had seen him in a restaurant on a date and even though he and I had just started dating, I wasn't going to fall into that mess again. He said he wasn't seeing anyone, and then I see him a few days later having dinner with Lynn. 

      “You have my number; you know you could have called.”

      He nodded. “You got room in your tent for one more?”

      I shook my head. “Sorry, we're full.”

      “What? You’re kidding, right?” he chuckled.

      I shook my head. “Vance and Dale are sleeping in our tent with us.”

      Greer's eyebrows met in the middle. “Who the hell is Vance?” he grumbled.

      Okay, first off, I lost my virginity to Tim Greer when I turned seventeen; he hates Tim so we all call him Greer. It's been like that since he was seven or eight. We broke up six months later when I found out he was seeing another girl behind my back. We recently started dating again, only to see that he hasn't changed and was still dating more than one person. The only problem is that Greer still thinks that we're together.

      “Look, he's a nice guy and what does it matter to you? Bunk with your brother.”

      “I thought we were working on getting back together,” he grumbled.

      “I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen. We're friends and, besides, you were with Lynn just last week.”

      “I was ending it with her,” he said with a shrug.

      “Don't! Okay? We're friends, and that's all.”

      He put his arm over my shoulder. “Are you saying that because you’re interested in this guy, Vance?”

      “Not at all,” I said with a giggle. 

      We headed back to camp and everyone was sitting around the fire. People were shouting Greer's name and I took the opportunity to slide back to my tent. I put my purse into my pack and cell into my pocket. I took out a bottle of water and headed back to the fire. I had just sat down when I felt someone pulling my hair out of my sweater. “Are you ready for our walk?” he whispered into my ear. Shivers ran up my spine. It was scary how he whispered it. 

      “I guess so,” I said as I stood up and darted a help me look at Echo.

      “Wait up, you two, and I'll join you,” Greer shouted.

      I froze and Echo saved the day. “We all should go for a hike; it's a great idea,” she chimed.

      Dale, Vance, and a few others also joined us. I walked beside Jaydon so that this would count as our walk. Greer was a couple of steps behind with a few pals of his. Echo and the guys were behind them.

      “You know, I was surprised to hear the news last night; what made you decide to leave?” Jaydon asked.

      I shrugged. “I always planned on it, I was going two years ago, but I put it off until now. Greer knew about it back them.”

      “So how long are you going to be in BC?” he asked.

      “I don't think I'm coming back anytime soon. I've got a job and I plan on going to college out there.”

      Greer grabbed my arm and growled in my ear. “What the hell is this about, Raine?”

      I jumped and pulled my arm away. He was squeezing it hard. “What, my moving?”

      “When were you going to tell me?”

      I looked around and blushed. “Quiet down,” I whispered.

      “Screw them, Raine,” he growled, “You can't just leave; we’re suppose get back together!”

      “When were you going to tell me that? Jeez, Greer, can't we try to be friends first? The couple thing didn't work for us; you’re too much like you brother,” I whispered, and then began walking away. 

      “What! You thought you would leave without saying goodbye?” He was suddenly standing in front of me. He grabbed my arm again and grumbled, “How can you leave without saying goodbye? We have a history; you don't walk away from that. We need to work on us, why the hell do you think I'm here?”

      “We both walked away a long time ago; there’s nothing to work on.” I was red with embarrassment, my face was burning and I wanted to go home. “Let go, Greer,” I growled.

      He pulled me in close and kissed me. “I don't want you to go,” he said against my lips.

      I took a step back and snapped, “It's not about what you want.” 

      Echo rushed over and stepped between us. “Let's go now, Raine,” she snarled. It was creepy, she always chimed and smiled. Her growls were funny to me, but this was actually scary.                       I nodded and

pulled my arm out of his grip again and we both headed towards the guys.

      “How is your wrist?” she asked. I shrugged. “What happened there? Greer grabbed you twice!” I nodded. “He kissed you!” I nodded again. I didn't need a replay but couldn't say a word. “Talk to me, Raine,” she grumbled.

      “Not now, Echo!” I snapped. I had to watch where I was going, I was so embarrassed that tears were forming and making it hard to see. There were at least twelve people who’d seen everything.

      Echo grabbed my arm and stopped me. “Look, it's just us! Now talk to me, what the hell happened back there?”

      “If one more person grabs me, I'll leave tonight.” I stared at her hand and then glared in her eyes. “Let go, Echo, I mean it,” I growled.

      She let go of my arm and frowned. “Raine, we're best friends and you’re hurt. Talk to me.”

      I gave in, we are best friends, how could I not? “He said he wants to get back together with me and I told him no.” I wiped away the tears. “Am I pathetic or what?” I chuckled, “He's mad that I didn't tell him I was leaving and wanted to know when we were going to say goodbye.” I shrugged. “I don't know, Echo, I'm a little embarrassed and sore. I think he and Jaydon are having a contest or something.”

      She looked over her shoulder. “Let's get the hell out of here, before I kill them!”

      “You can't kill people with dirty looks and snarls, Echo; it's just not possible.”  

      We headed back to camp and packed up the rest of our things. “This is crazy,” I grumbled.

      “When was the last time you two were together?” Dale asked.

      “We went on a date a couple of weeks ago; we had talked on the phone up until last week. Why?”

      “You do know that he's dating others; Lynn, for one.”

      “Well it's not like we did anything and that's why I haven't gone on another date with him or even talked to him since last week. He told me he was ending it with the others and I told him not to; I'm not about to get hurt again.” I hugged him. “Thanks for the warning,” I giggled. 

      “Was this Greer always so aggressive?” Vance asked.

      “No, he was upset to begin with. I told him in the parking lot that we had no room for him in our tent. He knew Dale was staying in here but didn't like the idea of you.”

      “Did he believe that you would let him in, just like that?” Echo asked while snapping her fingers. 

      “I don’t know. It's sad when you think about it. He’s as full of himself as Jaydon; it's not one of their better family traits.”

      “Hey, there's no one at your house and it's the weekend…let's camp there.”

      “Anything’s better than here. Besides, Charles won't be home until late, if he comes home at all. Lately, it's been once every couple of weeks.”

      We took everything back to our vehicles. I never made any eye contact with anyone at all. I just looked at the ground and avoided all people. I drove alone; Vance followed behind with Echo and Dale. I pulled in and unpacked my gear into the garage right away. Once they all climbed out and I dropped my clothes into the laundry room, I asked Dale to give Vance a tour while I started my wash.

      “You are the only rich kid I know who does her own laundry,” Echo teased.

      “Think about it… I'm not rich, it's my parents that are and one day I'll be on my own. That's why Maria taught me how to take care of myself. She knew that I would leave home as soon as possible.”

      We headed into the living room and I sat on the couch while Echo rifled through the movies. The guys finally finished the tour and joined us.

      “Why is your room locked?” Dale asked.

      I shrugged. “I always lock it when I leave; people seem to snoop when I'm not around.”

      Echo rolled her eyes. “Let's go to your room, all of these movies are garbage.”

      “Good idea. Dale, would you mind getting the cooler?” I asked. He nodded and rushed out to my Jeep.

      We headed upstairs and I unlocked the door. Dale was already behind us with the cooler in hand. He was quick! I'm always amazed at his strength and speed. He plays football and baseball; he was the MVP three years in a row. He and Echo have been together for five years and they're the perfect couple. Guys hit on her and she doesn't care. She's always faithful and brushes it off like nothing.

      We walked in and Echo immediately went to my movies, I was glad that Vance wasn't making a big deal about my room. Normally, people can’t believe that I have my own living room in my bedroom. Both my brother and I do, and I think our parents did it so that we wouldn't be around while they entertained. I really loved it; downstairs can be so cold and lonely.  The guys flopped on my couch, so I headed into the bathroom and unwrapped my wrist.

      “Damn it!” I grumbled.

      Echo flew into the bathroom. “What's wrong?”

      I showed her my wrist. It was huge but not blue. “Can you wrap it for me?”

      Echo backed out with her hands in front of her, shaking her head. “No frigging way! I'm not hurting you! Forget it! I'm your friend not your enemy,” she whispered.

      I laughed. “It's already hurt, just re-wrap it.”

      She rushed out of the bathroom and I heard her talking to the guys. “I can't do it? I would hurt her too! You’re her best friend, you do it!” I chuckled at Dale, he was such a chicken.

      “Look, I can't do it; every time we touch we both get shocked. You know what that means,” Vance whispered it so quietly.

      “So what are you going to do about it?” Echo asked.

      “I don't know. She's not one of us, what would you do?”  

      “What can you do? You can't fight it and you know it, it's only going to get worse.” That was Dale, I was sure of it. I just didn't know what they were talking about.

      “I know, I can already feel it. Echo, you do it, I still have to figure things out,” Vance grumbled. I couldn't understand what Vance needed to figure out.

      “You’d better tell her what's going on, it will become painful soon. Believe me, we went through it,” Echo replied. They were talking in riddles and freaking me out a little.

      “It wouldn't have been so painful if you weren't so stubborn. Remember Jaydon,” Dale grumbled.

      Echo laughed and came back in. “Those guys are worse than me,” she chimed, “If I hurt you don't tell me. Okay? I couldn't handle it.”

      I nodded and watched her wrap me up without any pain. We headed back into my room. I planned on cornering her later and telling her what I overheard them whispering. I wanted to know what Vance meant by me not being one of them. So weird!

      I flopped on my bed and turned the TV on while Vance, Dale and Echo sat on my couch. Echo moved over and grumbled, “Get over here! I'm losing my best friend and now she won’t even sit with me?”

      I giggled and carefully joined them on the couch. Dale sat at the end then Echo, me, and Vance at the other end. I was trying so hard to not touch him and I have to admit, it's nice to know he was also getting shocked and it wasn't only me. I pressed the play button on the remote and cuddled in closer to Echo.

      “What movie did you pick?” I asked.

      “Dead in Three Days,” she giggled.

      I got up and closed the shades. It's the only way to watch scary movies, I thought while I sat back down and snuggled into my original spot. I don't know why, but every now and then, I would glance at Vance. Of all the stupid things, I really wanted to touch him. Funny, considering I was scared of being hurt. Maybe in some twisted way I liked it? No, that couldn't be it because I don't like pain. It was probably because I was attracted to him. He did have a great personality and he was really handsome.

      We were laughing at the movie. Some of it was so cheesy, we couldn't help but laugh.

When the movie ended, Echo jumped up and ran out of the room. “Washroom break!” she chimed just before she slammed the washroom door. Dale headed down the hall and I carefully got up and took the movie out.

      Vance got up and started walking towards me. “If you willingly touch me, you won’t get a shock; I promise,” he said in a soft tone.

      “You shuffled your feet while you were walking towards me, didn't you?” I giggled

      “Just try.” He stuck his hand out.

      I shook my head. “No thanks, I'm not masochistic.”

      “Please, Raine,” he whispered. 

      I gave in; it was the way he said please. It made me melt inside; I slowly reached out and closed my eyes. Nothing happened. “Whew!”  I said when I let go. “You have no idea how much I thought we were a couple of freaks.”

      “It's a complicated world, I'll tell you that,” he admitted.

      Vance began to look over my shoulder at the movies I had in hand.  He chose Seven Pounds the moment he saw the cover. I had seen it many times before but always loved it. I sighed as I put it in the player. “Will Smith is so... Oops. I was thinking out loud,” I said with a blush.

      Vance laughed. “It just means you’re comfortable, that's all.

      I nodded and headed back to the couch. Vance sat beside me and I didn't panic this time. Once Dale and Echo returned, I started the movie. Half-way through the movie, Vance took my hand and pulled me in close.

      “You see, you just have to accept it,” he whispered.

      His hand was warm and, for some reason, when he touched me, instead of shocking me, it would now tingle. It wasn’t pins and needles, but nice, almost…soothing. I blushed at the idea and tried to let go. He gave it a light squeeze before releasing my hand.

      The movie ended and I was getting stiff from sitting so much. I stood up and stretched. “Do you guys want to go for a walk?” I asked. Echo rolled her eyes and Dale mimicked her.

      Vance stood up. “I'll go with you, if you don't mind?”

      I shrugged. “I was hoping Echo would come alone, so she and I could talk.”

      “No way,” she laughed.

I really wanted to question her and she knew that, too, she had to have, because normally, she would have jumped at the idea of a walk. Vance and I headed out front and started down the street.

“Why did you choose BC?”  

      “I'm not happy out here and my Aunt is out there, she's like another mother to me.”

      “You’re leaving everything behind; do you really want to do that? What about your brother that you mentioned earlier?”

      “He's getting married next year and I hardly see him now. I practically live alone and it's been like this for years.”

      I figured since he was drilling me, I could drill him in return. He said confusing things earlier and it bothered me throughout the movies. If I didn't get answers soon, it would be an awkward trip whenever we took a break. I didn't want to be uncomfortable around him, not over something that could be a misunderstanding. “What did you mean when you said, I wasn't one of you? I mean Echo understood and she's not related to you guys.”

      “Well, you’re a hu...” He paused. “You’re shy, and having me wrap your hand…I didn't think you would like it. I didn't want to give you a shock over and over. Does that happen to you a lot?” he asked.

      “It’s never happened before. Like I said, I thought we were a couple of freaks.”

      He laughed and it was such a friendly laugh. We walked around the corner and headed to the park. It was so nice out and I couldn't understand why Echo and Dale didn't want to join us. Vance took my hand and gave it a light squeeze. “I do not understand why you decided to move away so suddenly. Echo said earlier that there was no warning; that you didn't mention anything and that you weren't even thinking about it before.”  

      “The day of my birthday, my housekeeper gave me some terrific advice. I knew then that I had to go and she gave me the confidence I needed.” I shrugged. “I think it's the lack of jobs in this area mixed with my family issues. I'm now nineteen, they have no legal ties to me and I'm really not happy here.” I didn't understand why, or even how, I was able to talk so openly.

      He nodded like he understood. “I've been out here for nearly two weeks and I have to admit, it's nice.”

      “It sounds like you’re thinking of staying,” I teased.

      “I don't know why I came out here to begin with. I had considered going to see my uncle in Florida, but I had a sudden need to see Dale again. I was seriously thinking of moving here,” he said with a light chuckle.

      I noticed that we were still holding hands. I let go and the moment I did, I regretted it right away. I felt the need to take it back and I fought it with all my might. We walked down the path and had just turned the corner when he took my hand back and gave it another light squeeze.

      I sighed in relief. “Thanks,” I whispered. What is wrong with me? I wondered.

      “No problem,” he replied with a light laugh. 

      I needed to get back home and be alone. This was just plain weird! I let go of his hand and started towards my house. “I think I've had enough,” I mumbled.

      “We should talk before we head back, Raine.”

      I shook my head. “No, I think heading back is best for me.”

      “Alright, maybe we can talk later? Just the two of us; I could explain what this is about.”

      “Maybe,” I mumbled. Oh, I so doubt it. There was no way I wanted to be alone with, or even around, him, anymore. I wasn't myself with him; it's just not like me to want to talk and touch a complete stranger. Now, all of a sudden, I can't seem to get enough of him? Too freaking weird!

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

3.8M 94.2K 64
IF YOU WANT A WELL WRITTEN GANG STORY: READ MY OTHER BOOK "RIDE OR DIE" This book is not well written, contains grammar errors, and overall super cli...
655 40 12
Maija Wessels, a high school junior, is confident, clever, and insightful. She hangs out at the beach with her besties, loves S'mores, and has a majo...
1.1M 39.1K 30
What if the Bible has it all wrong about the Anti-Christ? What if this person is female and what if she actually has a choice? Meet A.C. a.k.a An...
197K 5.7K 62
Hi Readers, Before you read this book, I just wanted to say that I am currently in the process of rewriting this story. Changes, whether they are bi...