Beach Boys

By Jjmintyfresh

One drab rainy day in the state of Washington, not to be mistaken for D.C., a girl named Avery arrives home i... More

Beach Boys
Life In Color
People Like Us

Sweater Weather

50 4 0
By Jjmintyfresh

5sos acoustic M&G in four days. 1D concert in six days. Help me. Please. ANXIETY!  Lol, here is another chapter. It's silly and light-hearted so enjoy the cuteness.

Comment

Vote

~Jjmintyfresh

Sweater Weather

Avery’s P.O.V.

I pulled on my blue hoodie as I slowly closed the door of the house where my roommates where still sleeping. It was seven o’clock now, and I didn’t want to wake anyone as I left to see Zayn. Without a car, I decided to walk along the beach.

The sand cushioned my every step as I placed my hands in my pockets from the cold morning. The beach was silent except for the crashing of the waves on the sand. Everything looked so calm and beautiful, nature’s pretty cool like that.

I blinked once or twice to make sure I was seeing things properly. Are those people out there? I squinted. Is that Calum?!

Calum and another boy were surfing, riding the waves so gracefully. I could hear his laugh from the beach. Suddenly, the wave broke and Calum came tumbling down. I raced towards the water.

“Cal?!”

I saw his head break the surface and he waved over to me. I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Hey Ave, whatcha doing?” He asked, as he emerged from the water with his friend in tow.

“Going to a bookstore to meet a friend. What are you doing out here so early, the lifeguards aren’t even here yet!”

“It’s easier to concentrate without little kids to bump into. Oh Avery, this is my friend Luke.”

Luke had sun-kissed hair and skin. His goofy smile gave away his personality instantly.

“Hey.” He smiled.

“I’m sorry for interrupting you guys, I just saw Cal go down and got nervous.” I mumbled.

“Avery, that’s part of surfing. Don’t you know that?” Calum asked.

“Well, er no. I’ve never surfed before.”

“Oh that’s right. Luke, she is visiting from No Sun Land.”

“...you mean Washington.”

“Oh yea! That’s it.” Calum smiled dorkily.

I sighed, “Well, now that I know you’re both okay. I’ve got to keep going if I’m going to make it on time.”

“You said bookstore? Let us take you, we’re done for this morning anyways.” Luke offered.

“That’d be great, thanks.”

~ ∞ ~

“Do you guys really need to strip in front of me? Seriously?” I asked as I shielded my eyes. We were standing in front of Luke’s blue Ford pickup truck, as the boys threw their surf equipment in the back.

“I’m not driving in a wet suit, and besides you’re the only one here.” Luke shrugged and Calum shrugged with him.

“It’s not like you mind anyways.” Calum noted.

I sighed, defeated, “You done yet?”

“Mhmm.”

We all piled into the car, but there were only two seats in the truck.

“Avery, you’ll have to share your seat with Cal.”

Calum wiggled his eyebrows and laughed.

“I’ve got the world’s boniest butt, I should be the one laughing at you.” I smirked.

“Bring it on!”

Luke and I laughed at Calum’s eagerness, and I sat on his lap for the ride. He wrapped his arms around my waist as a makeshift seatbelt.

“This your first time to California?” Luke asked as he drove away from the beach.

“Yep. I’m staying with Liam and Evan. It’s a long story, but let’s just say we didn’t know each other two days ago.”

“Ok...? Well, Calum and I come here with our two friends every summer. We have been since we were two.”

“Oh, you don’t live here?”

“Nope, we’re from Australia.”

“I was going to ask about the accents, but wasn’t sure if I should.” I laughed.

Only a few minutes later we were in front of the bookstore. It looked so different in the daylight.

“Thanks for the ride!” I shouted as my two new friends drove away.

“Bye!” The replied in unison and drove off laughing.

They’re so silly.

I stuck my hands back in my pockets as I walked towards the door of Tom’s Book Soup. Truth be told, I was kind of nervous. That butterfly feeling in my stomach didn’t feel like the movies, it felt more like it was burning my organs.

                    ~ ∞ ~

I opened the door and the cute bell noise rang as I entered. Always loved that.

“Hey Avery! Glad you could make it!” Zayn announced as he came over to envelop me in a hug.

I hugged him back, still so warm... er.

“Are you going to blush every time we hug?” Zayn teased.

“No! It’s cold outside, my cheeks turn pink when it’s cold.” I defended.

“Sure they do. You ready to go, or should I get you a scarf?”

“I’m fine!” I laughed.

I let Zayn lead the way as we headed down the deserted street. The sun was coming up as we strolled and I released my hands from my pockets and took in its warmth.

“So, how are you liking California?” Zayn asked casually.

“Well, so far, it’s the people I’ve met that make me like it so much. I already have a great group of friends, and they seem genuine. You know, here, it’s not like the beach people you see in movies who are always social climbing and getting their way no matter what. People actually take an interest in who you are. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky.” I smiled, slightly embarrassed by my monologue.

Zayn smirked, “You are darn right, you’re very lucky to have met me.”

“That’s what you got from the entire thing?” I asked, rolling my eyes at his playful arrogance.

He shrugged and winked cheekily at me as I smacked him on the shoulder with my extended sweater sleeve.

“Hey!”

“You started it!”

“Liar.”

I gasped theatrically, but smiled again when he opened the door for me to the coffee shop.

We ordered our drinks (more like Zayn ordered for me because of my little knowledge of coffee), and sat by a window in the shop.

“Favorite character?” He asked as he took a sip of his steaming drink.

“Mmmm, Ridely or maybe Link.”

“Them? I thought you would go for Macon or Lena.”

“I love them too, but Ridley and Link are really interesting to watch. Their whole complications and things.”

“You have no idea.” He whispered under his breath.

“Come again?”

“Here, maybe you’ll understand.” Zayn miraculously pulled out a book from his jacket and laid it on the table.

“You got me the second?” I sighed, “You didn’t have to do that.”

He shrugged and took another small sip of his drink, reminding me to try mine.

Mmmm it’s really warm, kind of like him...wait er.

“Ok, now I know you’re not cold, so I think you’re actually blushing this time.” Zayn teased.

“I–” I tried to come up with an excuse, but failed to conjure anything.

“Thank you for the book, I can’t wait to start.” I smiled, trying to get off the subject of my repeating blushes.

“Glad you like it.” Zayn nodded.

                    ~ ∞ ~

After my lovely morning with Zayn, I waved goodbye as I headed back to Evan and Liam’s. I opened my phone to see five new messages...

-Woke up. You’re not here. Where are you? ~ Evan
-Ok, seriously where are you? ~ Evan
-I’VE LOOKED EVERYWHERE IN THIS HOUSE WHERE ARE YOU?! ~ Evan
-Oh, Luke got here and said he dropped you off at some book place. We’re cool. ~ Evan
-Isn’t Luke a cutie. You should totally love him. LUKE GET OFF MY PHONE, IDGIT! ~ Evan

I laughed to myself, but looked up too late to stop the collision. I ran right into this stranger’s chest.

“Oof.”

“Oh god, I’m so sorry I was–”

“Texting while driving?” He laughed.

I looked up. CUte BoY aLeRt.

“Sorry, sorry. I uh. um.”

“It’s alright, don’t sweat it. My name’s Ashton by the way.”

I took a good hard look at him. That is the cutest face I’ve ever seen. Those biceps do not match that face. Hot damn.

“You just going to stare or?” Ashton asked poking me in the rib.

“Er! Hi. I’m Avery. Nice to meet you, well run into you. I think. Wait.”

“You’re adorable.” He cooed, “Where you heading?”

“Oh um thanks. I’m going to my friends beach house. Maybe you know her, a lot of people seem to, her name is Evan.”

“I love Evan! That girl can throw a party. Can I walk with you, my friends usually loiter around there?”

“Of course!” I replied excitedly.

“Then lets get going!!” He exclaimed, linking arms with me goofily and skipped down the beach.

“Ashton! Big height difference, bad for skipping simultaneously!” I laughed as we stumbled on the sand.

“What? No! Screw height, we shall overcome!”

“MAYDAY!” I screamed as I tripped over a beer can in the sand and came toppling down, bring Ashton with me.

(A/N And like a mighty oak he fell. Lol what?)

We landed hard on the sand laughing.

“HAHA TIMBER!” Ashton blurted between a laugh.

“That was not graceful at all!” I giggled.

Ashton picked himself up from the sand, shaking it from his hair in the process, and reached out a hand to help me up.

“Thanks.”

He snickered, “You have sand in your hair.”

I swiped at it swiftly as Ashton put a hand to it and helped.

“Um, shall we get going now?” I asked a little embarrassed by his touch.

“Yea, sorry about that.”

“No problem.”

The waves crashed, and more people arrived at the scene. Evan’s house wasn’t too far away now, and I couldn’t wait to get there to take a shower. Sand in places sand should never be. I looked up to see Ashton admiring the sea, and I couldn’t help but admire him as he did.

 Uh oh.

Continue Reading