Light Upon Light

By dreamygurl

Junaina Ali. Muslim by name, anything but by actions. Living a life with everything she could possibly want... More

#1 The Transfer
#2 The Journey
#3 The Confrontation
#4 The Lively Breakfast
#5 The Eventful Day
#6 The Fitrah
#7 The First Day
#8 The Family Council
#9 The Rollercoaster Ride Of Emotions
#10 The Moment
#11 The Secret
#12 The Parents
#13 The Conversation
#15 The Salah
#16 The Visit
#17 The Weird Day
#18 The Omnipresent Person
#19 The Sara Di Wedding Special
#20 Ramadan Ashiana Style
#21 The Moments of Joy
#22 The Past Tense
#23 The Conspiracy Theory
#24 The Beginning of Chaos
#25 The Resolution
#26 The Drama Queens
#27 The First Ship
#28 The Absha Engagement
#29 The Girl Talk
#30 The Intervention
#31 The Bittersweet Eid
#32 The Mess
#33 The Build up to Drama
#34 The Ultimate Humiliation
#35 The Aftermath
#36 The Plans, Chats and Evasions
#37 The Day of Confessions
#38 The Twist
#39 The Day of Annoying Encounters
#40 The Day of Mixed Emotions
#41 The Reality Check
#42 The Good News and The Bad News
#43 The Coffee Table Conference
#44 The Kindness
#45 The Qadr of Allah
#46 Pre Absha Nikkah
#47 The Absha Wedding
#48 The Feelings Talk
#49 The Shiqra Wedding Special
#50 The Adieu
Part 2
#51 Six Years Later
#52 What A Cute Family!
#53 Old Ends and New Beginnings
#54 Duniyadari
#55 Heart to Heart with Dadi
#56 Honest Talk
#57 Marriage?
#58 Sajwa Begins
#59 Perfect Two
#60 Introductions
#61 Strange Feelings
#62 Give the Heart a Break!
#63 Surprise Surprise!
#64 It's the Future Calling
#65 Trip to the Past
#66 Yes or No?
#67 Blessed
#68 Of Small Babies and Big Babies and Baes
#68 Strange Familiarities
Epilogue

#14 The Maternal Family

1.9K 204 51
By dreamygurl

Assalamualaikum dear readers.

This one's a bit late and most definitely fillerish... it is still and update though. Have fun reading.

***

#14 The Maternal Family

It has been nearly a month since I've come to Salimabad and I have yet to visit Dar-e-Rahma, Mom's home.

I had called Nani soon after I reached Ashiana and talked to Khalid Mama and Arifa Mami and my cousins Sara Di, Safa and Sana. They had a lot of questions and I had no answers. It was an almost one sided conversation. And that was it.

I never called after that or visited.

I'm actually kind of surprised that Mom didn't mention it, not that we had a great chat to start with.

Dadi had got on my case though. Apparently Nani has been calling her regularly and asking about me and making special mentions of me going to stay there. And I had no excuse. Weekend's here and I don't have much to do, Samar was going to his Masjid Youth Group meeting and Di planned on visiting her friend Iqra.

Initially, I was going to join Di to Baithun Noor to spend some quality time with Sidra and get to know her sister. Then Dadi said I had to go visit Nani and stay overnight. I tried resisting and then she pulled on her stern face. Her eyes were narrowed and lips pursed and if it was possible she sat up a tad bit straighter. For a woman of her age, Dadi had no problems with her posture.

"Junaina maintaining family ties is an important aspect of being a Muslim. If you won't go then I'll simply not talk to you for the next two days."

And that did for me.

I mean, I could tolerate my mother's family. It is not like they're bad or anything. But I don't want Dadi to avoid me. That would suck big time.

It was a wonder how she was immune to the puppy dog eyes though. Dad could never ever resist it. How else could I have gotten away with all my exploits?

"Fine Dadi. I'll go. But do I really have to stay? Can't I come back after dinner?" I begged.

Dadi sighed.

"It is just one night beta. I'll send Dawud to you first thing in the morning." She said.

And so I dragged myself up to my room and packed my overnight bag. I also decided to carry my Physics homework with me. Sreejith Sir was going to quiz us on the new chapter and I didn't want to let him down. Especially since I loved his class. Some extra prep won't hurt.

Chacha was going in to work late, so he was going to drop me off at Dar-e-Rahma. It was right in the heart of town, an area populated by the upper middle class.

"Juni, they may pester you with questions. Actually they will pester you with questions. Don't go angry sherni Juni on them, just be calm and reasonable." Chachu advised on our way there.

I rolled my eyes in response. Of course they would conduct an interrogation. It was almost like a case of deja vú. I went through a similar situation back when I first landed in India. While the whole confrontation with Dadi went out without disturbing me, I was positive it would be the opposite with Nani.

My only savior there would be Nana. If he was home I'd be lucky. If not, I'll be on my own.

Soon enough we reached Dar-e-Rahma.

Though not as humongous and stately like Ashiana, it was a beautiful two storey house painted a nice rust colour with forest green roof and white windows. There was just a short walk from the gate to the main door.

The four walls of the house nestled a huge courtyard in the middle. It was the center of activity and liveliness. Nani had potted plants line all the four hallways which bounded it. A beautiful old world charm hung about the place.

My Mami Arifa looked out from the hallway upstairs on hearing us arrive. She was a petite lady and it was her beauty that was passed on to all of her three of her daughters.

She came down quickly and made me and Chachu sit at the table right in the middle of he courtyard. Nana's wicker chair was empty. He probably had a lecture at the community college.

"Ammi! Junaina is here!" Mami called out in the direction of the huge kitchen that took up most of the room downstairs.

The only other room even remotely close to being that big was Nana's study and library. It was my favorite room in Dar-e-Rahma.

Nani and Sara Di came rushing out of the kitchen to meet me. Sara Di was my Mamu's eldest daughter about the same age as Di. She had a big smile on her face as she saw me.

Chachu stood up to greet Nani and I did the same. Honestly I felt really awkward. I'm visiting after so many years and every time I visited India, I barely spent any time here. I'm not close to these people as I am to my family at Ashiana.

"So kind of you to drop her here Dawud. We've been anxious to meet her since she's arrived." Nani gushed.

"It wasn't a problem at all. Please allow me to leave, I have to get to work." Chachu said smiling.

"Please have some tea before you go!" Mami insisted.

"Oh no no! I've had a nice breakfast at home and I'm quite full. Do excuse me."

Chachu said his salaams and hugged me before leaving.

"Juni beta you have grown into quite a pretty girl!" Nani remarked after analysing me from top to toe.

I smiled in response.

If Dadi looked stately and royal then Nani was quite the opposite. She was short and chubby and cute with pink cheeks and snowy curls of hair tucked under her shawl. Her eyes twinkled as she smiled. If it weren't for the same amber eyes and pinky complexion, my Mom could not be called her daughter.

She took after her father, my Nana.

"Nana has got a lecture today? " I asked as Nani led me to the kitchen.

"Nah. He has gone with Khalid to fix Sara's wedding dates."

I was totally taken by surprise. I didn't know Sara Di was engaged and I said so. Sara Di blushed as she said, "It all happened way too quickly. They came to see me only yesterday and then this morning they accepted our proposal."

Mami and Nani smiled fondly at her as she blushed. Sara Di looked a lot like her mother but she had Mamu's amber colored eyes. Like Mami, she was thin and petite and dainty. In fact, I stood a couple of inches taller than her.

"What's the lucky guy's name? He seems to have quite an effect on you." I said smirking.

Nani and Mami laughed as Sara Di stuttered.

"Rizwan." She said, tucking a stray strand of hair away.

"Rizwan, huh" I said dragging out his name.

"Juni!"

Laughing, I pinched her pink cheeks. She pushed my hands away. Nani and Mami left us to talk as thy headed to the kitchen. Nani promised to cook all my favorite dishes. Nana and Mamu would be with us for lunch along with Safa and Sana. They had gone for an Islamic class nearby.

Sara Di took me upstairs to my Mom's old room which was right next to her parents room. I didn't want to stay in there though. As she couldn't put me with her in the room she shared with her sisters, she took me to the guest room in the opposite hallway.

White muslin curtains were hung by the doors which billowed with the breeze. The top of the door frame was adorned by a strand of multicolored beads and drops. It was really pretty.

The room was not as big as mine in Ashiana, it was around half the size. It had an aura of comfort about it. Opposite to the doors was another set of doors opening out to a small balcony. The same white curtains were hung there and by the two windows.

A queen size four poster bed stood against a wall. I liked that there were plenty of cushions on it. The bedspread was a lovely mint color. Two small tables were against the wall on both sides of the bed. A small in built wardrobe was on the wall next to the doors. There was a desk and chair under one of the windows. On the wall opposite the bed hung a mirror and an antique half table stood under it. A small square stool was pushed under it.

The whole mint and white theme was cool to be honest. I loved it.

"Who did the decor for this room?" I asked.

"I did." Sara di said smiling.

"It's amazing Di. You should totally get into the profession!" I exclaimed.

Sara Di and I sat on the bed facing each other. I kicked off my shoes and tucked my legs in. Sara Di made herself comfortable too.

"Well, I actually gave an interview last week to your family's construction company..." She trailed off.

"And?" I prompted.

"I got the job. I'm supposed to join next week."

"Woah that's awesome Sara Di! I'm not bragging or anything but the Dubai office of Ali Constructions is totally cool. And I'm sure the office here is just as awesome!" I exclaimed.

I was really happy for her. But she looked a little off. I sensed a 'but' coming. If I guessed right then it is her in laws not allowing her to work. Desi people and their stupid notions of patriarchy.

"Well the wedding will probably take place in a month, and in sha Allah, I may go to Dubai with Rizwan. So what's the point in working for a month?"

I sighed. Why on earth do we girls have to fight so hard for our desires?

"You could just transfer to the Dubai office right? And then you'll have Samir as colleague and my Dad as boss" I said smiling.

Sarah Di smiled at the thought.

"Tell me Di, did they say no to your career..."

She sighed.

"They're not particularly pleased. Rizwan doesn't mind much. But his parents do... and I don't want to disappoint them." She said.

I was about to launch into a rant but I couldn't as my Nana and Mamu came to the room just then. Smiling I jumped off the bed and went to hug my Nana.

"Salaam Nana!"

"Wa alaikumasalaam beta! You've changed so much!" He exclaimed pulling back.

"Tell me something new Nana! You still look younger than Nani" I teased.

"Naughty child," Nana said pinching my cheeks.

"Don't let your Nani hear that Juni," Mamu said pulling me into a hug.

"I look forward to a long life Mamu. I'm too young to die!"

Everyone started laughing heartily.

My Nana was quite tall. He had broad shoulders and a small potbelly. I often teased him about it. He called it old age abs. Even though he was a well known Professor he had none of the sophisticated wise looks. He had lots of smile lines around his brown eyes and his mouth. He sported a French beard. Both his sleek combed back hair and beard were streaked white and grey.

Mamu on the other hand looked a lot like Nani minus the chubbiness. He had a medium height, a round jovial face and a great smile. He had Nani's curly hair and it was auburn, probably the color of Nani's hair before it became snowy.

"I'm guessing you're all laughing at my expense." Nani commented.

"Speak of the devil and here she comes," Nana said and laughed even more.

We couldn't stop ourselves from laughing. My Mamu's two other daughters Safa and Sana walked in just then.

"Tell us the joke too, we also want to laugh!"

Nani bristled angrily. But if you looked closer you could spot the amusement in her eyes. Nana and Nani were an adorable couple. They fought and constantly teased each other but at the end of the day they made up.

"Nothing girls. Just your Dada teasing Ammi again," Mamu said, staring at his parents with a smile.

"If this riot is over can we all go have lunch and possibly discuss important matters like Sara's wedding?" Nani asked.

Every one hustled out. Safa and Sana caught up with me along the way. Safa was 20 and doing her degree in Statistics at the Community College. Sana was 18 and waiting for her engineering entrance exam results. All three of them looked similar in appearance. While Sana was tall the other two were short. All three had Mami's sleek straight hair and her button nose. Sana and Sara Di were more alike in appearance than Safa. The latter shared some of her father's features.

We caught up as we went downstairs and out into the courtyard. I was hoping we'd have lunch in the open air, instead we headed to the dining room. There was a long table in there and a mini chandelier hung over it. At the far end of the room a huge cabinet displayed fine china and crockery. This room had floral wallpapers. The windows were all left open allowing the breeze to waft in. I could see the rain clouds and all the signs of a storm coming. It was probably why we were having lunch indoors.

The table was already set with dishes and plates and silverware.

Nani had prepared fried rice and chicken and mint raita. There was also a salad made out of apples. Everything looked delicious. Soon enough we were all seated and started lunch.

"So Juni beta, how's school?"Nana asked.

"It's fine. I'm taking a little time to adjust to the desi culture," I said smirking.

"Are the boys troubling you?"

"I can put them in their place." I stated.

Nana and Mamu smiled while Nani looked at me incredulously. I was waiting for the million dollar question but it never came. After asking me about the people at Ashiana and my family the topic drifted off to the wedding. I was surprised to be honest. But maybe Dadi might have helped with this too.

I mentally said Alhamdulilah.

"So when did you fix the wedding?" Nani asked as Mami looked on anxiously.

"They wanted to keep it after Ramadan initially. Since we didn't want to prolong the engagement we asked if it could be held next month, that way Sunaida and Rumaisa could also join with their families if possible." Mamu said.

The mention of Mom piqued my interest. Would Mom actually come to India? Not possible. She had really hectic schedules which is why we never had proper family vacations. Dad may come. But not Mom.

"And what did you decide finally?" Mami asked.

"Rizwan spoke in favor of our proposal. Looks like he doesn't want to wait too long to take my daughter away," Mamu said with a smile.

Aww, how cute.

"Look look! Sara Di's face is redder than the achhaar!" Sana said.

Cue the laughter.

"Blushing so much already... we'd probably have to skip the makeup on your wedding. Jiju might call you tomato face," Safa added.

This was fun. Even though I didn't want to come here for fear of all the questions that would be asked. The whole wedding news made this enjoyable. Sneaky Dadi, she probably knew the whole thing and kept it from me.

"So the wedding is going to be on July 13th. Nikkah will take place here and then Walima at the Noor Auditorium." Nana announced.

"There's less than a month left!" I exclaimed.

And soon enough the ladies and gents were involved in wedding discussions. Sara Di, Safa, Sana and I started discussing clothes. Sana and Safa kept teasing their sister and I joined in. It was so much fun. She kept going all pink in the face whenever we mentioned Jiju. She looked adorable, I was sure she'd make the perfect bride.

Next morning when Dawud Chachu came to pick me, he congratulated Mamu and presented the family with gifts from Ashiana. Nani made me promise to come back soon. I wanted to anyway what with the wedding and all coming up.

In the car I kept nodding off and struggled to keep my eyes open.

"I'm guessing you had a good time," Chachu said smiling.

I stifled a yawn before replying.

"Yeah. We spent all night talking and I got barely two hours of sleep. I didn't even get time to study."

Chachu smiled.

"Just meet Ammi before going to sleep," He said.

"I was planning to sleep on her lap," I responded.

"Best place to sleep. I know," He said smiling.

So I ended doing just that. After telling Dadi all about the stay and Chachi and Phuppi too, I fell asleep in her lap.

***
So...

Stay tuned for more.

Love.

Ann.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57K 6.4K 72
Sakeena Ibrahim Abdulmaleek; Fierce, bold, challenging and brave. Never thought her life will turn out that way. At the age of fourteen, her life cha...
3.5K 700 39
So I heard everyone always gets that life changing moment that turns their life either into a magical fairy tale or they become a rat in the slumps...
4M 183K 32
''Marriage isn't easy especially when it's arranged and you hardly know the guy.'' 23-year-old Zara, a modest and virtuous Muslimah, has finally ac...
11.5K 799 32
Inaya Hussein is a happy go to 20-year-old studying medicine wanting to make her parents proud. Religion plays a huge part in her life. Her two best...