The Middle Child

By electric_forest

Having an older brother Dylan (who's annoying), older sister Clarissa (who's a drama queen), younger brother... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue (Chapter 31)

Chapter 18

2.7K 69 55
By electric_forest

{Song in video: Good Charlotte - Predictable}

It was finally the day my parents were going out of town. They kept pacing around the house, making sure that they had everything. "Why are you guys going out of town again?" Jared asked, looking confused. I rolled my eyes. I swear this kid never paid attention to anything except maybe video games.

"Because your dad is going to a rewards ceremony for his job," my mom replied.

"Yes and hopefully I'll be first place this time," my dad said, looking hopeful.

"We'll see." She smiled and kissed his cheek. She turned back to us. "Okay, if there's an emergency then call us of course and call your aunt and uncle if it's something major. Their phone numbers are listed on the paper on the kitchen counter."

"We know, mom, we know," Clarissa said. She might as well have said 'just get out of here' since that was what I got from her tone of voice.

"And absolutely no parties," my dad said, giving us a stern look. I knew I wasn't going to throw any parties since I'm not a party person. Heck, I never actually been to a real party. Family gatherings don't really count us parties, at least not in the teenage world. I don't really have any desire to go to a party, let alone have one.

"Don't worry, we won't," I assured him and smiled.

"Mommy, daddy, I'll miss you this much!" Madeline exclaimed, spread her arms out and grinning.

"Aw sweetie," my mom said picking her up. "We'll miss you too. We promise to call every few hours." She gave her a kiss on her forehead and put her back down. "We have to go now. I love you kids!" She blew us a kiss and went out the door.

"Goodbye kids, we love you," my dad said, smiling as he walked out the door.

"Finally, I thought they'd never leave," Clarissa muttered.

"Tell me about it," Dylan said.

I gave them a confused look. "Did you guys just agree on something?" I asked, tilting my head.

"I guess we just did." He smirked and hugging Clarissa.

"Ew gross! Get off of me!" Clarissa exclaimed.

"I get to do whatever I want," Jared said and gave us an evil grin.

"No you don't," Dylan said. "If you try anything funny then I'll spread rumors about you so that when you come to high school next year your reputation will be ruined."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't be so mean Dylan. I'm sure he's joking," I said, opening a bag of Lays chips and eating it.

"Maybe I am and maybe I'm not," Jared said.

"I wanna play with dollies! Someone play with me!" Madeline exclaimed. Clarissa walked off while talking on the phone.

"I'm uh busy with something," Dylan said. "Go play with Jared or something." He walked away.

"Gross I'm not playing with dolls," Jared said. "That's for losers."

Madeline furrowed her eyebrows. "You're a loser!" she cried out and kicked his leg.

"Ow!" He winced and hopped on one leg. "How can a little girl kick like that? Pure evil!"

Before things could get worse, I said, "Hey guys let's cool it." I turned to Madeline. "I'll be glad to play dolls with you. People who don't play with dolls are losers."

Madeline grinned. "Yay!"

"But please do not kick or hit anybody. That's not a nice thing to do." I gave her a stern look.

She looked ashamed. "Okay." She turned to Jared. "I'm sorry for kicking you."

"Apology not accepted!" Jared exclaimed, glaring at her. I grabbed him by the ear and yanked it. "Ow! Okay, okay I'm sorry! Yeesh." After I let go, he shot me a glare and rubbed his ear.

"For your punishment, you have to play dolls with me and Madeline," I said.

Madeline gave him an evil grin. If it were on anyone else it would have been terrifying, but since it was on a 5 year old it was freakin' adorable.

"Aw come on!" Jared whined. "I said I was sorry!"

"I know. Now come on." Me and Madeline walked to her room and Jared slowly followed us with a sulky look on his face.

"Is Seth coming?" Madeline asked, eyes beaming with happiness.

My face lit up for a moment but then went back down. "I'm sorry but he can't come. Mom and dad said no friends are allowed over here while they're out of town," I said.

"Is someone sad because their boyfriend can't come over?" Jared taunted.

"Shut it Jared." I gave him a stern look and he quickly looked away. With Jared, he usually didn't get into too much trouble because all you had to do was to give him "the look" and he would listen. I can't believe it still worked to this very day. The only people who could do "the look" was me, mom, and dad. Dylan and Clarissa couldn't do it. They tried so many times but failed.

"Jared you can play with this," Madeline said, handing him a big green lizard toy.

"What the hell is that?" Jared asked, scrunching his face while lifting it by its tail. He acted like it was a real lizard.

"Language Jared!" I said, giving him a look.

"That's Ralph, the evil lizard that destroyed the town," Madeline replied.

"I don't want to be no evil lizard," Jared said.

"For Pete's sake Jared it's just a lizard!" I said.

"Fine." He rolled his eyes.

For the rest of the afternoon, we played with dolls and stuffed animals. Madeline and Jared argued quite a bit so by the time it was close to dinner time, I was exhausted. Dealing with those two took a lot of work.

"Is anyone getting hungry?" I asked.

"Yes!" Jared blurted out. I knew he just wanted to get out of playing dolls any longer but I didn't say anything about it.

"I want food!" Madeline exclaimed, twirling around with one of her Barbies.

"Okay, let's go downstairs and see what we can eat," I said. We walked downstairs and went into the kitchen. I noticed Dylan taking out a lot of plastic red cups and snacks and drinks.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm throwing a party duh," Dylan said, rolling his eyes.

My eyes widened and mouth dropped. "Didn't you hear mom and dad? We're not supposed to throw any parties!" What the hell is he thinking? I'm not going to get in trouble because of him!

"Relax sis. It's going to be fun, besides you can use some partying. You never went to a party, have you?" He snickered like it wasn't a big deal.

"No I haven't and I don't care to."

"You'll change your mind. I think you can use some experience."

"I think you need to cancel this party ASAP!"

"It's too late, I can't. I already let everyone know and canceling a party will destroy my reputation, including yours and Clarissa's. We can't have that happen, can we?"

"What reputation? You don't have any!"

"Exactly. I'll get a reputation after throwing this party. You'll have one too. It's a win-win situation."

Clarissa came into the kitchen and took out soufflés out of the oven. She put them on the counter and took out a few champagne bottles out of a drawer. Am I actually seeing this? I really hope I'm just hallucinating and not seeing this.

"What are you doing?!" I exclaimed to Clarissa.

"Having a few girls over, duh," Clarissa said, rolling her eyes.

"Wait, you're throwing a party too?!" Dylan exclaimed.

"Not technically a typical teenage party, but I'm having a few sophomore and junior girls over to teach them how to be popular. It's fancier than an actual party you're thinking of. It's going to be classy and elegant." She took a minute to register. "What do you mean 'too'?!"

"I'm throwing a party. You need to get your little queen bees and do that popular girl crap thing somewhere else."

"Are you kidding me?!" I exclaimed. "TWO parties?"

"You can throw your little trashy party somewhere else," Clarissa said icily, ignoring me. "They're going to arrive in less than an hour!"

"And you're having champagne?!"

"I can't cancel!" Dylan exclaimed. "I never threw a party and now I can be the cool guy."

"I can't cancel either! This event I'm hosting is extremely important!" Of course I'm going to keep getting ignored.

"Why don't you BOTH cancel? Then everyone wins, including me," I said.

They both turned to me. "I'm not canceling!" they exclaimed at the same time.

"What about Jared and Madeline?"

"They can stay in the basement," Dylan said casually.

"I'm not staying in the basement! I want to be part of this party too," Jared said with a pouty look on his face.

He sighed and put his hands on Jared's shoulders. "Jared, my little brother," he started to say. "You know I like you and all but I can't have you at this party because everyone will think I'm lame."

"Ugh, I can't do this right now," I said, stomping into my room. I didn't even know what to do so I decided to order pizza.

A few minutes later, I heard some people come into our house and Dylan greeting them. I went downstairs to make sure that everything was alright. I saw bottles of beer on the table. I marched over to him and said, "What are you going to do with this beer?"

"Drink it, duh," Dylan said, snickering and rolling his eyes.

"Get that out of here! Mom and dad will know something is up if all their beer is gone." I crossed my arms.

"I know that's why I told them to bring the beer." He pointed out a group of kids our age.

Pretty soon, our house was swarmed with teenagers. One half of the house had Clarissa, Addison, Yasmin, Melody, and wannabe popular girls. The rest were kids Dylan invited and they played loud rock music and were much louder than Clarissa and them.

Seth came in through the door. "Hey," he said to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi," I said, frowning.

"Are you okay?"

"No. Dylan and Clarissa are throwing parties and we weren't supposed to while our parents are out of town." I took a deep breath and sighed. "Did you know there was going to be a party?"

"I just found out today. I assumed you all were in this together...I thought it was a Kennedy thing..."

"I tried telling them to cancel but of course they didn't listen."

"I'll help you keep these parties under control." He looked at Clarissa's side of the party. "What's going on over there? They're all dressed up and are eating some weird looking food."

"Clarissa is hosting some type of thing for some sophomore and junior girls, teaching them how to be popular and crap."

"Oh." He laughed.

I heard yelling coming from the living room. "I better go check that out."

"I'll come with you." We held hands and walked to the living room, squeezing past several dancing teenagers and make out couples.

It turned out that some guys were excited to see each other and were yelling giddily. I went up to Dylan. "Where's Jared and Madeline?" I asked.

"In the basement," Dylan replied. "I'm a bit busy so can you try having fun or something?" He looked annoyed.

I went to the basement and found Jared and Madeline in there. Jared was playing video games on the TV and Madeline was playing with her dolls. "Everything okay down here?" I asked.

"Yup," Jared said, not taking his eyes off the screen. "Dylan paid me 50 bucks to stay down here until the party ends so I'm good."

They both looked happy to be down here. "Well okay...I'm going to go back to make sure nothing gets broken or anything." I walked back up and went to the front of the house.

"Hey!" Amy exclaimed and grinned. "Awesome party." She bobbed her head against the music.

"Are you kidding?" I said, not knowing if she was joking or not. "Dylan and Clarissa are each throwing a party and I didn't know about it until an hour ago."

"So?" She laughed. "Just relax and drink a beer or something."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah! Every teenager throws a party when their parents are gone. It's nothing new."

"Is Alexis here?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I just know Dylan invited me." She looked around the house. "Well I'll see you around. I'm going to have some fun." She walked over to where Dylan was and poured a bottle of beer into a red plastic cup.

"I can't believe this!" I exclaimed, rubbing the temples around my forehead.

"It'll be okay, Ky," Seth said, squeezing my hand.

Cody walked up to us. "Hey have you guys seen Addison?" he asked, having a weird smile on his face. He already looked like he was drunk and it wasn't even half an hour into the party.

"She's on the other side of the house," I said.

"Okay cool." He waved and stumbled to the other side.

I saw Alexis open the door and walking toward us. "Hey," she said, giving me a worried look. "I was wondering if you would be okay. I only heard about this party because Cayden told me. I only came to check how you were doing."

"I'm going to use the bathroom," Seth said to me. We kissed and he walked away.

"Thank you so much Alexis," I said, giving her a hug. "Amy is here but she didn't help much. She told me to have a beer and relax basically."

She rolled her eyes. "Typical Amy."

"I know."

I saw Clarissa stomp over to Dylan. "Turn down the music will you!" she exclaimed.

"How about no?" Dylan said and had a smug look on his face.

"We can barely hear our music!"

"Not my problem." He walked away from her.

"Get back here, Dylan!" She followed him around and he rolled his eyes.

Me and Alexis went to the other side of the house. Yasmin and Melody were standing up, talking to the group of 20 sophomore and junior girls about fashion. The girls stared at me and Alexis in confusion, some glaring at us. "Who are they?" one of the girls snarkily asked.

"Don't mind them, they're not part of us," Yasmin said.

"Hey Kyler and Alexis!" Melody exclaimed, grinning at us.

"Hey..." I said awkwardly. "Well I see you guys are busy so we're just going to leave..."

All of a sudden, some guy came over to us as we were leaving the room. "Hey there's babes in here!" the guy yelled.

"Get the hell out Carlos!" Clarissa exclaimed as she walked back to the room.

"Whatever." He gave them an annoyed look and walked away.

"And what are you two doing? We're very busy here." She put her hands on her hips and looked impatient. "Ugh where's Addison?!"

"We're just leaving and I have no clue where Addison is," I muttered and we walked away. All of a sudden, my phone buzzed. I looked at my phone and saw a text from Seth that said: Meet me in the basement.

I was confused but went to the basement anyways. I opened the door and see Seth and Addison making out. My eyes widened and my mouth dropped.

They both stopped as soon as I walked in. "This isn't what it looks like Kyler," Seth said in a panicky tone. "Please-"

"Shut up and get the hell out!" I yelled.

Addison smirked. "See Kyler? Seth has always loved me," she said.

"No I do not!" Seth exclaimed. "Please Kyler you have to believe me-"

"Save it," I said, feeling my eyes well up with tears. No, no, I can't cry. Not here and not now. I'm not a crier. I slammed the door and quickly walked away.

"Kyler? What's wrong?" Alexis asked.

"Seth and Addison were making out in the basement!" I exclaimed.

"What?" Dylan said. Seth and Addison walked out of the basement.

"Kyler, there you are!" Seth said. "Please I need to talk to you-"

Dylan marched right up to him and punched him right in the nose. "That's what you get for cheating on my sister!" he yelled. "You're no longer welcomed here. Get the hell out of my house now!"

Seth put his hand on his bleeding nose.

Clarissa stomped up to us. "What's going on?! Keep your voices down!" she yelled.

"Seth and Addison made out in the basement," Dylan said, glaring at them.

She glared right at Addison. "You what?" She paused for a moment and went to the kitchen. A few seconds later, she poured an entire bag of flour all over Addison. "You just got flour-bombed, whore."

Addison gasped and looked mortified. After a few seconds, she smirked. "This dress was yours anyways," she said.

"I don't care. Now get out of here, no one hurts my sister like that!"

They both walked outside the door.

Clarissa gave me a sympathetic look. "Are you okay?" she asked me.

"I'll be fine," I said, sighing.

"I'm so sorry Kyler," Dylan said. "I had no idea Seth could be such a jerk. Believe me, I'm not hanging out with him ever again."

"It's okay guys, really." They both gave me a hug.

"This party is now over! The police are coming!" Dylan yelled, unplugging the music. Everyone groaned and either ran or stumbled out the door. The house was cleared out within minutes.

"You didn't have to bring your parties to an end," I said to Clarissa and Dylan.

"It's fine really," Dylan said. "You were right. We shouldn't have had the parties in the first place."

"Yeah totally," Clarissa said. "I really wish we listened to you earlier."

"It's fine," I said. The only ones left were Amy and Alexis.

"Well since they're still here, they can stay over and comfort you," Dylan said. "Me and Clarissa will clean the house."

I expected Clarissa to argue with Dylan how the mess was because of his party, but she didn't say anything. They went to the kitchen.

"It sucks that this is your first party experience," Amy said. "Trust me, it was not supposed to go like that."

"Yeah..." I said, not knowing what else to say.

"There's still some pizza left..." Alexis said.

"That sounds good I guess." They brought me a few pizza slices and we went upstairs. I checked on Jared and Madeline and saw that they were in their rooms. I went to my room. My phone kept buzzing several times. I saw the texts and missed calls from Seth: Please Kyler, please pick up the phone.

I promise you it's not what it looks like. Addison set us up. Please call or text back.

Kyler, I would never hurt you like that I swear. It was a misunderstanding, please let's talk about this. Either call, text, or talk to me face-to-face tomorrow.

I rolled my eyes and put my phone away, ignoring the texts.

"Is it Seth?" Alexis asked.

"Yup," I said.

"Forget him," Amy said. "Let's watch Wreck-It Ralph and forget about this." We turned on the TV and watched it.

**********

A/N: Sooo...a lot of things went down in this chapter. .-.

Also, this chapter is a lot longer than usual.

READ

VOTE

COMMENT

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Child of a King By Anne Mason

Mystery / Thriller

78.1K 2.4K 43
After a heartbreaking event, a family is forced to split up because of their ancestors' rivalry. The father hides in South America with their sons an...
870K 23.4K 77
She lives her life to the fullest as she is love by everyone in her home, where everyone supports and cheers for her. Some things also somewhat make...
6.3M 269K 40
Sierra Lancaster has had an agonizingly mediocre life. She grew up in a happy home, made loyal friends, graduated college, and is now pursuing her dr...
9.4K 1.1K 129
This story is my happy place; I do not plan on ever finishing it. It will go on and on like a soapie. Might break it up into volumes later. "Grab a b...