Charlotte True

By Julia4Tune

Inspired by the non-fictional, historical lives of Sir Joseph Banks, Nicolas Baudin, Captain William Bligh, M... More

Acknowledgement
Chapter 1: The Brutal Goodbye
Chapter 2: A Hopeful Beginning
Chapter 3: The Art of Overcoming
Chapter 4: Skirmish
Chapter 5: A Plan, the Secret to Success
Chapter 6: An Unconventional Priest
Chapter 7: A House Divided
Chapter 8: The House Falls
Chapter 9: Prison
Chapter 10: Prison Visit
Chapter 11: Of Ships and Sails and Scuttled Dreams
Chapter 12: Captain Bennett
Chapter 13: Women of the Fortuna
Chapter 14: Shanks
Chapter 15: One for All
Chapter 16: Summoned
Chapter 17: The Good Doctor
Chapter 18: Seeds of Malcontent
Chapter 19: The Return of the Frenchman
Chapter 20: Mind Over Matter
Chapter 21: A Missionary Priest
Chapter 22: A Compromise
Chapter 23: Reunion
Chapter 24: On Board with Monsieur
Chapter 25: Play it Again Charlotte
Chapter 26: Land!
Chapter 27: Hugh MacAdam
Chapter 28: After the Attack
Chapter 29: Port Excursion
Chapter 30: French Arrest
Chapter 31: An Uninvited French Visit
Chapter 32: Weed Pulling
Chapter 33: Before the Dawn Comes the Darkest Hour
Chapter 34: Death
Chapter 35: A Letter to Charlotte
Chapter 37: Last Days of the Voyage
Chapter 38: Becoming Charlotte True

Chapter 36: An Open Letter from Lord Benjamin Watts

1.4K 142 8
By Julia4Tune

Dear Captain Bennett,

I have addressed this missal as an open letter to all who may be concerned with dealings whether existing or future, with the convict known as Miss Charlotte Caprice. Charlotte was a maid in my employ at Lamerton Hall in Lincolnshire, England. It was during her time as maid at Lamerton Hall that she was charged with the theft of my wife's ruby necklace. At the time of her arrest, both my wife and I became life threateningly unwell. In my own case, after suffering a heart attack, I am happy to say, I seem fully recovered. In the case of my dear wife, Lady Dorothea, I am heartbroken to say, she did not recover and was pronounced dead from suicide at Bedlam Asylum two days ago.

Lady Dorothea Watts has suffered her whole life from a melancholic manic disorder that became acute during the time of Charlotte Caprice's employ with us. I am ashamed, but morally obliged to now confess, that Charlotte Caprice was innocent of any crime and wrongly adjudged guilty of the theft of my wife's necklace. The truth is that my wife, in her illness, took an undeserved and heinous dislike for Charlotte Caprice and was obsessed with the desire to remove her from our house and our lives. To that end, my wife orchestrated the theft of the said necklace as well as responsibility for the theft to be landed at Miss Caprice's door. I repeat, Miss Charlotte Caprice is a completely innocent victim of a terrible illness that has since claimed the life of my beloved wife.

I now plan to have a legal appeal raised against Miss Caprice's conviction for theft. I understand that until such time as this appeal is successful, (which may take some time given the present state of judicial backlog), Miss Charlotte Caprice must remain as far as the law is concerned, a convict. But I would like the particular facts of her case and hence, the contents of this letter, known to as many persons as may be likely to have dealings with her. I do this in the hopes that their treatment of her may be favourable and if possible, that she be treated as her true character deserves – that of a free and educated woman of the highest and most morally outstanding reputation. This is a character reference which I personally give freely and by my own hand this eighteenth day of September in the year of our Lord, eighteen hundred and three.

Yours truly,

Lord Benjamin Watts

Lamerton Hall

18 September 1803

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

766 174 34
Eve Hammond, her best friends Lance Morgan and Alison Murphy, and her on and off-again boyfriend Amari Walker have spent the last four years enjoying...
4.1K 517 18
This is the sequel to "Charlotte True". It takes up the story of Charlotte Caprice, a young English convict woman, newly landed on the shores of the...
2 0 1
A young Leland O'Reilly grows up in a strict Catholic community in the town of Lived, Texas, and whilst being parented by an even more strict alcohol...
396K 22.7K 20
Charlotte Claridge lives a life dictated by her stepmother's whims. Sent to live with one family member after another, she finally arrives in Scotlan...