All This Time

By setphaserstostunning

Christmas Break spent in the Netherlands sounds like the perfect way for Charlotte Wright to relax with her b... More

Who's Who
1 ⦿ in which i tell the truth
2 ⦿ in which i receive a proposal
3 ⦿ in which i make an enemy
4 ⦿ in which i meet the grinch
5 ⦿ in which i meet the it-girl
6 ⦿ in which i feel like a second-class citizen
7 ⦿ in which i meet the fockers
8 ⦿ in which i meet the green-eyed monster
9 ⦿ in which i play the girlfriend
10 ⦿ in which i make a deal with the devil
11 ⦿ in which i befriend the brother
12 ⦿ in which i fall
13 ⦿ in which i cannot take it back
14 ⦿ in which i make amends
15 ⦿ in which i become enchanted
16 ⦿ in which we kiss (again)
17 ⦿ in which i admit it
18 ⦿ in which i spend christmas eve
20 ⦿ in which i dream of an unknown future
21 ⦿ in which i share a smile
22 ⦿ in which i have an almost
23 ⦿ in which we talk
24 ⦿ in which i win the argument
25 ⦿ in which i give chase
26 ⦿ in which i get caught
27 ⦿ in which he passes the first labor
28 ⦿ in which i almost have the last word
29 ⦿ in which i mess up
30 ⦿ in which domesticity doesn't suit us
31 ⦿ in which the shoe is on the other foot
32 ⦿ in which we make progress
33 ⦿ in which i'm shattered
34 ⦿ in which i seek truth
35 ⦿ in which i bury the hatchet
36 ⦿ in which i wait
37 ⦿ in which i open a door
38 ⦿ in which i close a door
39 ⦿ in which i go home
40 ⦿ in which i listen
41 ⦿ in which i learn
42 ⦿ in which i become
43 ⦿ in which i'm happy (part 1)
44 ⦿ in which i'm happy (part 2)
CHRISTMAS BONUS #1
CHRISTMAS BONUS #2 (Part 1)
CHRISTMAS BONUS #2 (Part 2)
NEW YEARS BONUS #1 (Part 1)
NEW YEARS BONUS #1 (Part 2)
DELETED SCENE: Wolf's POV from Chapter 3
DELETED SCENE: Wolf's POV from Chapter 19 (Part 1)
DELETED SCENE: Wolf's POV from Chapter 19 (Part 2)

19 ⦿ in which it's over before it begins

169K 7.4K 1.3K
By setphaserstostunning

December 24, 2010 7:00 p.m.

My bold statement coaxes a laugh from the people closest to me, and even Marcus looks mildly impressed. "You're candid," he remarks, leaning back in his seat with a grudging expression on his face. He chuckles, prompting more laughter from some of the other stooges sitting by his side. "You've got spunk."

Graeme's face is a thundercloud. She wrings her napkin so violently that Xander looks at her with concern, before finally draping it over her lap.

"Thanks." I settle back in my chair, not sure if Marcus meant it as a compliment or not. Maybe he genuinely likes me. Maybe he just likes getting under Graeme's skin. Or maybe he just thinks I'm a worthy adversary. Everyone else here, his own kids included, seems to handle him by either ignoring him as far as possible or shamelessly sucking up to every joke and story he tells.

The rest of dinner goes off without a hitch, and soon we're all stuffed with wine, roasted squash, rack of lamb, lobster bisque, asparagus, braised carrots, pecan pie, and a handful of other delicacies that I can't even remember. The table, laden down with platters of food, looked like something from Harry Potter's Great Hall. Not for the first time, I wonder how many servants the family has. It's either a small army or a very, very determined house elf.

Graeme excuses herself shortly after dessert is served, and waves Xander off when he tries to follow her. At his befuddled frown, I mouth what's wrong?

He shrugs, returning his attention to his pie. My lips purse; is this because of what Marcus had said to me? Even so, I wish she wouldn't take it out on Xander.

Wolf's fingers are still playing havoc with my senses, intermittently dancing over my skin, or seeking out my hand every time I put my fork down. Now, however, he rises, dropping his napkin next to his plate. "I'm going to go check on Graeme," he announces, even though it's only Rhona, Xander, and me who even notice she left.

Xander, unaccustomed to being adrift, takes Wolf's seat after the plates have all been cleared away by the nimble, almost invisible presence of the footmen.

The men all retire to Marcus' study for port and a cigar while Rhona offers the women coffee in the lounge. Soon, it's just him and me left.

"So what's going on with you and Wolf?" he asks, tapping his fingers against the polished wood table. "You guys seemed..." he trails offs.

"Friendly?" I suggest.

He shakes his head, looking unsure. "Like there's something going on between you."

"I'm not sure." The words slip out of me with terrifying frankness. "I barely know him. I don't want to be toyed with." The again is left unsaid. I chew my lip. "Would that bug you?"

"No, he's...he's a good guy." Xander clears his throat. "He's just not who I thought you would have liked."

"Someone more like Levi?" My lips twist into a knowing smile.

"He seems more your type," Xander agrees, but only after casting a glance to the door as if to make sure it's still closed.

"I thought so too. But..."

"But you like Wolf anyway, even if it doesn't make sense." He grins. "Trust me, I get it. Graeme isn't exactly my ideal choice for a girlfriend, either."

"Is she your girlfriend now?" I can't hold back my elated gasp. "Oh my god, Xand!"

"No!" His eyes widen comically. "Not yet. It's weird asking someone that at my age, you know?"

"Yeah, because you're soooo old," I say with a teasing smile.

"It's not like high school. You can't just be like, 'Wanna go out with me?', Charlotte."

"Why not?"

He settles his face in between his hands, elbows on the table. Facing away from me, I can't see his face, hidden from view. "It just doesn't work like that anymore. In high school, I'd text all night, be on the phone for hours with the girl, walk her to class, kiss her when all her friends were watching...it was so much simpler."

"It still is," I insist. "Just tell her you like her. That's all a girl really wants to hear."

"What am I supposed to say?" Xander sighs. "It sounds so high-school to tell her I want to be her boyfriend. Like, do I even say boyfriend? I'm not exactly a boy, anymore. Do people have boyfriends after college? Or are we lovers? Significant others?"

"You're overthinking it." I poke his shoulder. "Man up. And whatever you do, don't say 'lovers'. That just sounds creepy."

"Ugh. Maybe I need Dutch courage."

"It's not too late to take Marcus up on his offer of port," I remark, wrinkling my nose.

Xander snickers. "I thought my eyeballs would pop out of my head when he asked me to join them. I don't think I've been so terrified since my first day of work. Marcus doesn't usually talk to me much at the office, and I don't think he said more than a sentence to me while I've been here."

"Sounds like an intimidating boss."

"He's an intimidating man," Xander corrects. "In his world, there's only winners and losers."

"Isn't that true, though?" I don't think before I speak, but the words feel natural.

"No wonder he likes you." Xander shakes his head. "Come on, if we stay in here any longer, everyone's going to think I'm ravishing you on the table."

We leave the dining room still giggling at the idea of the two of us in a frantic coupling; it's kind of gross, if I have to think about it. He's like my brother.

"Oh, I want to show you something," I say as we start up the stairs. "I have to give Graeme and Wolf their presents."

"Stick it under the tree," Xander replies, trailing his hand over the banister as we walk side by side.

"That's not super personal," I counter. Plus I have no idea where their tree is. "Come on, it'll only take a second."

We head to my room, where I pull a package from my carry-on suitcase. It's wrapped in cheerful reindeer wrapping paper, which I carefully peel back so the tape doesn't rip the fragile paper. "Look."

He leans over my shoulder. "Charlotte, is that the picture I sent you?" He sounds a little taken aback.

Only partially visible thanks to the wrapping paper, is an expensive silver frame with a picture of Wolfram and Xander inside. Their arms are around each other and their free hands are raised in a toast. They're at some bar in New York, looking at-ease and carefree. Wolf looks more like the version of himself I've come to know in the past day than the man he was when we first met.

"That's so thoughtful." He shakes his head. "Only you would know what to get the guy who already has everything." Lower lip jutting out petulantly, he sighs, sitting on the edge of my bed. "I can't believe I got Graeme a stupid gift card when you got a guy you didn't even know a personal present."

I think of Graeme's gift, still lovingly wrapped and tucked into my drawer, thankfully the only one that Wolf didn't open. On impulse, I open the dresser drawer and pull it out. I had hoped to give it to her myself but...

"Xander, why don't you give her the earrings?"

He stares at the package I'm offering him. "You bought these," he says. "I can't use your gift."

"Just give me the gift card you were planning to give her and I'll say it's from me. The earrings will impress her more coming from you, and she won't care if I give her a gift card," I say, earnest. "Trust me, jewelry from a guy means way more than a gift card."

"I can't." But he looks like he's wavering. Then, "Are you sure?" His fingers wrap around the gift. "Thanks, Charlotte."

I neatly seal the picture frame again, rubbing my thumb over the tape to make sure it's secure. "I'm going to go give this to Wolf, okay?"

"Yeah. I'll give this to Graeme." He hugs me, quick and hard. "Thanks. Really."

"You're welcome."

We head to their bedrooms, parting ways with encouraging smiles when Xander has to go one way and I go another.

I'm just glad I have the directions right this time. The door is open, and I'm about to knock on the wall outside to let him know I'm there when I hear Graeme's plaintive voice. Freezing, I shrink back, hand dropping.

"Wolf, I can't believe you're into her!"

"Graeme..."

"Did you see the way Dad was fawning all over her? It was disgusting. She was flirting with him."

"She wasn't."

"And she has Humphries wrapped around her finger, too! Did you notice she gave him a present only when we were ALL there to witness Saint Charlotte dole out holiday joy?" She snorts, and my heart shrivels. Is that really what she thinks?

"And she just broke up with her boyfriend," Graeme continues, undeterred by Wolf's silence.

Speaking of, why is he silent? Shouldn't he be standing up for me? My hand starts to tremble and I brace the frame against my stomach for support.

"She's using you, Wolf. Just like Diana." Graeme's voice is low and poisonous. "She was dating Steven Albright before. She's friends with Xander. You think it's a coincidence that she surrounds herself with wealthy guys?"

He's still silent. My heart feels like he's single-handedly torn it out and flung it at a pack of ravenous wolves to gnaw on. C'mon, Wolf. Say something, say anything, I silently will. Please.

"She's exactly like Diana. She asked for both your number and Levi's in the car." I can hear her deep, steadying breath. "You're my brother. I'm just looking out for you. She's so transparent! She basically announced how single she was with her woe-is-me-I-got-cheated-on story."

"Enough." Finally he speaks, and his voice is strong. My evaporating confidence starts to bounce back. Maybe he's going to finally tell his sister that she has me all wrong, that she doesn't know what she's talking about. Maybe he's going to be the guy that I hope he really is.

"Don't tell me that she's got you wrapped around her finger, too." Graeme's voice is scathing. "Jesus, Wolf."

"Even if she is using me, she's going to be gone soon." Wolf's voice is steely.

What? No, that's not what you were supposed to say!

"She's made a few socially advantageous connections, yes, and she's attractive, but I'm not about to propose to her over a fling, Graeme. Besides, you were the one who asked me to be a little nicer to her."

"Only because I thought Xander would like me more if it looked like we were making an effort!" she hisses back, and I feel like what's left of my heart has been squeezed dry.

"Enough, Graeme. She's our guest and she's been nice to us so far," he says, voice tired like he just wants this conversation to be over. "Don't jump to conclusions."

"Wolf, why didn't you close the door? Ugh, the last thing I need is for..."

I should have taken this as my cue to move, to quickly slink away before they see me, but it's too late. Graeme has appeared in front of me. Her entire face pales, leaving two bright splotches of red in her cheeks. Her mouth opens, but no words come out.

"....Charlotte," she finally manages, hand trembling on the doorknob. She takes a step back, looking horrified.

For one wild moment, I want to fling Wolf's gift at her face. A savage part of me wants the sharp corners of the frame to graze her cheek, her eye, anywhere that will hurt half as much as what I just overheard. It's not rational or appropriate, but I don't think I have ever felt this kind of anger before. It's not the kind of anger that came when Steven cheated. It's not even the kind of anger that Graeme and Diana's snubs caused. This anger comes from hurt. From raw wounds. From betrayal.

I've been so stupid. I thought they were my friends. I thought Graeme was coming around, that maybe, just maybe she would grow to like me. I thought Wolf wasn't as horrible as his first impression implied. I thought we were having a good time.

Clearly, I was wrong.

I refuse to let the tears pricking my eyes to fall. Holding my chin high, I push past her, entering Wolf's room. Before, I had milled through his room with curiosity, because I wanted to peel back his prickly hedgehog skin, wanted to get to know him better. But now I gloss over it all. I don't even want to look.

Wolf has jerked to his feet, his eyes wide and shocked at my sudden appearance. His eyes flit to his sister, who's still hovering in the doorway with a look of panic, as if she'll have the answer to this. I can read the question in his face: How much did you hear?

"I just wanted to give you this." I extend the gift. My voice is cool, indifferent. I've adopted the mask he wore when we met.

He stares at it dumbly, not taking it. "Charlotte..."

I don't want to hear it. The words are bile on my tongue, but I say, voice impeachably polite, "You've been so gracious to me while I was a guest in your home. Merry Christmas, Wolfram."

Since he still makes no move to take the gift, I reach out. His hand is warm in mine and the moment our skin makes contact, he clasps me with fervor. "Charlotte," he tries again.

I tug my hand free and when his just lingers in the air, looking forlorn, I put the gift into it. Then, I use both my hands to curl his fingers around it so he's forced to accept. "Merry Christmas." My voice rings with finality.

Turning to leave, I'm surprised to see Graeme is still standing there. She looks scared, like a little girl. She doesn't say anything, but she just keeps looking at me like she's waiting for me to do something. To forgive her? I mentally scoff. There's no way.

When she doesn't make a move to get out of my way, I realize what it is. She wants me to yell at her. She's bracing herself for my anger, for the inevitable catfight that her words have probably caused in the past with other nameless, faceless girls.

Part of me still wishes I had reacted with more anger. But as I look at Graeme's quivering lower lip and the stark, naked terror in her eyes, I feel my grief slip away as if it had never been there at all. She's scared that this will cost her Xander.

She doesn't apologize, which I sort of hate her for, and Wolf doesn't either. Even if they said it, I'm not sure I would believe them. Would they be sorry that they got caught? Or sorry that they said it?

The truth is, people who eavesdrop rarely hear good words spoken about them. And the frank exchange between a brother and sister can't really be held against them. Weren't Xander and I speaking this frankly just a few moments ago? The only difference is, no one heard us.

I walk towards her calmly. She flinches as I angle my body to slide past her. Neither one of them calls out after me.

But it's not over yet. Standing outside the door is Levi, his face drawn and pale. His eyes meet mine; mine are resigned, his are disappointed. He's heard every word, I realize. A flood of gratefulness washes over me - oh god, what if it had been Xander? I don't think I could have borne his shock and disbelief. He likes Graeme and he works with Wolf. But I know, as surely as I know that I won't forgive Wolf for this, that Xander won't be able to forgive either one of them either. I have to spare him the inevitable choosing of sides that will only result in his own heartache.

Levi doesn't seem to know what to say. I can sense him floundering, trying to find the right thing to say. Dejected, his shoulders slump.

His words come back to me with painful clarity: Don't give up on my brother.

I wonder if he remembers them, too.

Author's Note: And there we have it, folks! The very last chapter of the flashback. Starting next chap, we're back to the present and seeing how Wolf is going to dig himself out of the very large hole he's in. And it ain't gonna be pretty. ;) Well. Maybe it will. But Charlotte is gonna make him work for it. Haha.

Anyway, just a few things to get across here.

1. Yes, the flashback went on for several chapters so it seems like a really long time! But it's only been 2 days for Charlotte and Wolf. In 2 days, most people don't fall in love, make out, decide to go steady, etc. I'm striving for a semblance of realism here, so Wolflotte (thanks InkdIn!) is not going to be rainbows and sunshine immediately. Please bear that in mind!

2. Next chapter we're going BACK to the present. I repeat this just because there may be someone who gets confused about what's happening. But I hope you're all smarter than that and read those nifty little time&date stamps I include at the top of each flashback chapter. ;)

3. I would love some feedback on how you felt about this chapter.

Did you think everyone behaved in character the way you'd expect (more or less)?

Is Wolf redeemable from his latest faux pas?

To what extent, if any, do you think he and Graeme are culpable? (I mean, let's face it, we've probably all talked crap about someone behind their back and felt freer with our words because we weren't saying it to his/her face. Plus when you talk with a sibling or friend, you're less likely to censor yourself.)

4. Going onwards, is there anything in particular you guys would like to see? I have the story plotted out already but there's always a little wiggle room for scenes here and there if there's anything I feel could be added to the story.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR READING AND FOR BEING SO AWESOME *tears up* ❤❤❤

xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.4K 5K 52
Noelle loves Christmas. She is named for it after all. But this year is different. After a recent break-up ruins her tropical getaway with sophistica...
1.9M 51K 48
Nicola and Gabriel used to be best friends while growing up, but she had made the classic mistake of falling in love with him, which resulted in not...
2.6M 89.5K 45
**Highest Ranking : #1 in Chicklit** [ A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY ] Mabel Carter traveled half way across the country to attend college and get away...
241 1 15
Tecently divorced mother of two heads home for the holidays where she comes face to face with her high school sweetheart Keaton Brown. Can she resist...