The Middle Child

By electric_forest

Having an older brother Dylan (who's annoying), older sister Clarissa (who's a drama queen), younger brother... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue (Chapter 31)

Chapter 13

2.9K 83 47
By electric_forest

{Character in picture: Katie Findlay as Melody Price (before and after)}

{Song in video: Everclear - The New Disease}

"Sweetie I would like you to spend more time with Melody," my mom said to me. "I've noticed you two didn't really talk or hang out with each other much."

"She's busy hanging out with Clarissa and her clique," I said, feeling slightly annoyed. She's completely changed! I don't even know how to talk to her.

"I know she's changed quite a bit but please don't let that to get to you too much. Maybe you can invite her to do something this afternoon."

"I already have plans with Seth and my friends."

"Invite Melody along, who knows maybe she'll start hanging out with you and your friends more."

Seth, Amy, and Alexis watched us argue. I could tell they were feeling awkward and uncomfortable.

I sighed. There was no way to argue out of that one. "Fine." I texted Melody if she wanted to hang out with me, Seth, and my friends. A few seconds later she replied, K sure :) I was on the way to the mall anyways. Let's do that!

"What did she reply with?" my mom asked while peeking over my phone. "I guess you all are going to the mall then."

My eyes widened and my mouth dropped. "But we were planning to go roller skating," I said.

"You all can go roller skating any time. Spend some time with your cousin. Besides, I don't think your friends will mine. I know Alexis loves shopping, maybe that will rub off on you." With that, she went to the kitchen.

I scoffed under my breath. "It'll be okay Ky," Alexis said, giving me a sympathetic look. "We don't mind, we'll have fun no matter what we're doing, as long as we're together."

"I guess," I mumbled. I didn't mind hanging out with Melody and had nothing against her but I was looking forward to roller skating with Seth, Amy, and Alexis.

"Off to the mall we go," Seth said, putting his arm around me and smiling.

"So who's driving?" Amy asked.

"Well my dad has the car and Clarissa has the other car," I said.

"I rode with you here Amy," Alexis said.

"I guess I'm driving," Amy said. We went outside to go in Amy's car. She played "The New Disease" by Everclear and I grinned. She knew that was one of my favorite songs and she was trying to cheer me up.

When we got to the mall and got out of the car, Amy said, "So where are we meeting her?"

"Um...let me check..." I said. I checked my phone since I haven't in a while and saw another text from Melody. "She's at American Eagle."

"Coolio." We walked toward American Eagle; me and Seth holding hands.

When we got there, my mouth dropped when I noticed Addison was with Melody. "Oh hey Kyler!" Melody greeted and smiled. "I hope you don't mind that Addison is here. We had previous plans but we agreed the more, the merrier."

I faked a grin. "Hey no problem," I said, struggling to hold back a snarky comment. I knew it wasn't Melody's fault that me and Addison didn't get along, especially now that I'm dating Seth, but I really wished I knew what I was getting myself into. Seth must have noticed that I was a little uncomfortable because his grip on my hand tightened.

"Hey Kyler!" Addison grinned and gave me a hug, which was awkward since I was still holding Seth's hand, so I patted her back. She turned to Seth and flipped her hair. "Hey Seth." She winked at him and had a flirty tone in her voice.

I rolled my eyes. Just bear with it. It's not like Seth wants her back.

"Hey," Seth said to her flatly. He looked a little uncomfortable himself. Me, Amy, and Alexis exchanged glances.

"Well let's get to shopping!" Melody exclaimed giddily. I noticed her and Addison wearing dresses and high heels. Who the hell shops in high heels?

We walked out of American Eagle. "There's Hollister, let's go there!" Addison exclaimed, mainly to Melody. "Who knows maybe that cute worker is there." She glanced at Seth and looked back at Melody.

"Sounds great to me." We walked over to Hollister. It wasn't one of my favorite stores but I'm alright going in there. The clothes there weren't really my style and it was usually expensive anyways.

"Like with me I get one hundred dollars every few weeks for doing chores and what not. Instead of me buying ten jeans for ten dollars at Walmart, which don't last that long, I buy two jeans from Hollister which are about fifty dollars each, but it lasts a lot longer." I rolled my eyes at what Addison said. I still don't think jeans should cost fifty dollars no matter how long it lasts.

"I can't believe Addison is here," Amy whispered to me and Alexis.

"I can't believe I'm here," I said and we laughed, including Seth.

Alexis gasped when she saw a pink and gray Hollister shirt. "What do you all think of this?" She asked. "Isn't this cute?"

"Yeah it totally is!" Addison said, jumping into our conversation. "What do you think Seth?"

Seth gave her a confused look and shrugged. "I don't know," he mumbled, looking bored.

"Aw come on Seth you used to love shopping with me!" She flipped her hair again. Jeez what's with preppy girls and them flipping their hair? Doesn't that give them a headache or something?

He ignored her comment and didn't say anything else, which I was relieved from. He turned to me. "Want to look at something else...away from them?" he asked.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. "Yeah sure," I replied. We walked over to the other side of Hollister. "Do you shop here?"

"Sometimes but not that often. I already have plenty of clothes anyways."

"Right?" I agreed with him. "I try to not go to the mall and if I do I usually go in the food court or F.Y.E. or something."

I heard Melody and Addison's voice coming closer, I turned around and saw them laughing and taking pictures of themselves with Addison's monopod, or God forbid calling it the selfie stick. After they were done, Addison quickly walked over to us, mainly Seth. "Hey Seth let's take some selfies!" she exclaimed and before Seth could react, she started taking pictures with him in it. He didn't look a least bit amused and I burst out laughing. After she took for what seemed about twenty pictures, she walked back to Melody.

"Well that was annoying," Seth said and laughed.

"That was so ridiculous," I said, laughing while rolling my eyes.

Amy and Alexis walked over to us. "I want a selfie stick," Alexis said, having a pouty look on her face.

"Then get one," Amy said.

"Okay I don't know about you guys but we're done here," Melody said. "Are you all still shopping around?"

"No," I said quickly.

She smiled. "Good now let's go to another store." We walked over to Charlotte Russe this time. I hated this store since nothing there was even close to my style, it was mainly girly.

Alexis' face lit up as we walked in the store. "This dress is so cute!" she gasped, holding up a floral print romper. She loved the store since it was basically her style.

"It'll look good on you," Melody said. "You should try it on."

Alexis grinned. "Okay I will." She went into the dressing room. Amy followed her in there and I sat on the couch with Seth. I normally would have followed them to the dressing room but I didn't want to leave Seth alone, especially since Addison is here.

"You can go looking around the store if you want," Seth said. "I'm fine just chilling here with my phone."

I gave him a look. "If you haven't noticed, I don't wear anything from here," I said and we burst out laughing.

"Oh yeah by the way, did Clarissa ever find out that we threw the water balloons at her?"

"Nope but she probably thinks it was Dylan, Jared, or both."

He chuckled. "Your family is awesome."

I gave him a weird look. Did he just say my family is awesome? "Come again?"

"I said your family is awesome."

I blinked. "How is my family awesome? Dylan is annoying as heck, Clarissa is a drama queen, Jared is a little annoying but following in Dylan's footsteps, and Madeline can be a handful sometimes."

"But being at your house is a lot of fun. You all prank each other all the time and have fun. I wish I had a bigger family but too bad I'm an only child."

"I guess I see a point there but you'll get in trouble a lot more often, even if you didn't do anything wrong. We all blame each other when one of us does something wrong."

He shrugged. "Still sounds fun."

"What sounds fun?" Addison said as she sat down on the couch, very close to Seth.

He scratched his head. "Uh nothing," he said, shifting away from her.

"Kyler, where do you get your clothes from?" Addison asked me suddenly.

I shrugged. "JcPenney, Hot Topic, Target...wherever I can find clothes I guess," I said.

"What about Forever 21 or Charlotte Russe?"

"Not my style."

Her eyes widened and she stared at me like I had two heads. "I can give you some fashion tips you know."

I shot her an annoyed look. "I don't need any tips."

"Oh I didn't mean it like that! I just wanted to help-"

"I don't need your "help." I made a quote sign with my hands.

"Is anybody hungry? I know I'm hungry," Seth quickly spoke up and changed the subject.

"I'm hungry too!" Amy exclaimed as her and Alexis walked out of the dressing room.

"Let's get food then," Melody said as she walked to us.

Great now I'm hungry. I suppose it's better than being at girly stores.

We went over to the food court and tried to decide what to eat. Since I ate lunch a little before I came to the mall, I decided I would get a big cinnamon roll from Cinnabon. "You know that's a lot of calories right?" Addison said to me, scrunching her face.

"Yes and I don't give a crap," I said, taking a huge bite of my cinnamon roll.

She scoffed in annoyance. "Have you two kissed yet?" she asked with a half-smirk.

Me and Seth were stunned by the question, our faces turning red. "Not yet," Seth admitted. "We've only been dating for a week though."

"Really? Oh." She tried to sound surprised but I knew it was fake. "Back when we dated, we had our first kiss on the second date."

"You kissed me first Addison." He gave her an annoyed look.

"Yeah but you kissed me back." She smirked.

"Just drop it Addison." He turned to me and held my hand. "Let's get out of here."

"Sure," I said with my mouth full of a bite of cinnamon roll. I picked up my box and then we walked outside.

Seth sighed. "I'm sorry about Addison," he said, scratching his head.

"You don't have to be sorry. You didn't do anything wrong."

"I know but I feel like it's still my fault that she's treating you like that."

"That's the way she is. She's never really liked me much anyways." I shrugged, taking another bite of my cinnamon roll. "Want some?"

"Sure." I gave him a few pieces of the cinnamon roll.

"There you two are!" Melody exclaimed, Addison, Alexis, and Amy following behind her. "What are you two doing out here?"

"The food court was too obnoxious," I said, giving Addison a look.

"Oh okay." She looked a little confused but shrugged. "How's that cinnamon roll? It looks delicious."

"It's amazing. Want a bite?"

"Sure." I gave her a piece of it. "Mmm it's so good!"

"They have the best cinnamon rolls ever," Amy said, eating a Thai chicken wrap from Tropical Smoothie. Alexis nodded in agreement.

After we were done eating, we went to Forever 21, yet another store I didn't shop at. Addison, Melody, and Alexis took the most time in this store since it was huge. "Ugh we've already been here for almost an hour," I groaned as I looked at the time on my phone.

Seth looked at me and chuckled. "We'll probably leave the store before too long," he said, holding my hand.

"How do you know that?"

"Because Alexis, Melody, and Addison just walked out of the dressing room." He pointed at them coming towards us.

"Oh."

"Sorry we took so long," Alexis said and winced. "I couldn't decide between this dress and that dress." She held up two dresses, one a light mint colored lace skater dress and the other a floral print suspender dress. "I've decided I'd get the lace dress though."

"She asked for my opinion and she still had a hard time making a decision," Amy grumbled. She looked tired.

"I'm getting these," Addison said, holding up a black cutout crop top and a pink mini skirt.

"Looks cute," Melody said. "Let's go buy our clothes." Her, Addison, and Alexis went to the register to pay.

Thankfully, after this Addison had to head home so her and Melody left since she rode with her.

"I survived!" I exclaimed, with my hands in the air.

"Hooray," Seth said and laughed. He put his arm around me and we all headed back to Amy's car.

Amy looked at the time. "Unfortunately, the skating rink is closed but we can just head back to Kyler's house," she said as she turned around and looked at us.

Alexis let out a sigh of relief. She didn't like going to the skating rink since she couldn't skate. She does go with us whenever we do go but only to hang out.

Amy drove us back to our house and we headed to my room to play video games and hang out.

**********

A/N: So when Kyler, her friends, and boyfriend got to the mall to hang out with Melody, unfortunately Addison was there. What do you think of Melody and Addison?

READ

VOTE

COMMENT

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 77 35
Chloe Johnson is 17 and has lived in the shadows since her freshman year in highschool. Her sister, Casey, and her brother, Matt, has made sure of th...
45.1K 918 22
As the twin sister of Stiles, she often finds herself being compared to him - but she is quite different from her brother. Unlike him, she is popular...
910 217 21
Bethany thought she would always have eyes for basketball-star Matt...until she meets someone who can even out charm him, his older brother. ...
870K 23.4K 77
She lives her life to the fullest as she is love by everyone in her home, where everyone supports and cheers for her. Some things also somewhat make...