Pacifier

By simplysimpatico

Eleanor Harding moved to Llandudno with her mum after the divorce of her parents. Her mum was no role model s... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
•AUTHORS NOTE•
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 1

1K 18 8
By simplysimpatico

Sleeping was never usually a problem for me but the anxiety of the first day in a new school had kept my tired eyes wide open.

When my alarm rang at 6am I reluctantly got up and jumped into the shower. Not too long later was pulling on my chosen outfit and fixing the imperfections on my face.

Thank God this school didn't have a uniform policy. The itchy layers of fabric from my previous school still gave me nightmares till this day.

"You're up." My mother spoke, practically making me jump out of my skin.

The woman that stood before me was unrecognisable. Her usual tan skin was milk bottle white, her eyes that could once light up any room were dull and lifeless and her long brown hair was greased up and matted down to her head.

They say that's what happens when a once very love-filled marriage, shatters and breaks. But that was over a year ago.

"I take it I'm walking?" I bit my lip already knowing the answer.

She was in no position to drive, I could still smell the permanent stench of cigarettes and alcohol that has stuck to her ever since my father walked out.

Without another word, she nodded and left.

I was used to her being like this. There was nothing I could do to help her, I tried to get her to talk to her friends or even sit in the back garden but it was no use. She would just snap and leave.

Sighing, I grabbed my backpack and my phone with my earphones still dangling from them.

Llandudno wasn't overly warm, however I wasn't really expecting it to be considering it's a seaside town. Normally my walks to school would consist of building sites and adults in suits, here it was just the sea and warm faces.

I finally arrived at the heavily rusted gates guarding a moderately sized school building. Taking a deep breath, I turned off my music and entered the premises .

The letter that I had received prior to attending this school, stated that upon entering I must head straight to reception to grab a timetable. If only it was that easy.

"Hey, are you new?" A girl of medium height with short red hair smiled.

Interacting with others was not something I was necessarily good at.

"Yeah." I bit my lip, was it really that obvious?

Her smile grew bigger as she linked her arm with my own and took off in the direction of what I hoped was the reception.

"My name Harper by the way, I'm going to be a famous artist when I leave this place."

She looked like a Harper. Her shoulder length hair sat perfectly and she was really pulling off the whole grunge-indie outfit vibe. I myself was a fan of that style which was probably already noticeable through my choice of outfit today. You could never go wrong with black skinny jeans, a cropped t-shirt, white converse and a denim jacket.

However grunge and indie seemed to be catching on again lately.

"I'm Eleanor and I honestly don't know what I want to do when I leave school." I chuckled.

I had spent so much time picking up my mothers broken heart that I hadn't had a millisecond to think about my own future.

"I wouldn't worry about it, I wanted to be a brain surgeon last week but I got really grossed out when it came to looking at a real one in science!"

She made a disgusted face when she thought about it which did make me laugh.

"Well El, this is the reception." She beamed, "I better run along before I get another detention. It was lovely meeting you and if I don't see you before I'll find you at lunch."

With that, she hugged me and sprinted down the hall. I wasn't really a hugger but Harper certainly was.

I knocked on the reception door and nervously pushed it open to reveal a smallish room with three women sitting at desks.

One wearing a long floral skirt and a white cardigan jumped up and came over to me.

"How can I help you darling?" She smiled sweetly, giving me an almost cavity just by looking at her.

"I'm uh-new and I was told to come straight here and get a timetable."

Realisation covered her face, "of course you're Eleanor Harding!"

She span around to her desk and grabbed a booklet and a folder. The longer she took searching around for whatever she was looking for, the more nervous I got. Of course I would be late on my first day.

"This is everything you will need and don't be afraid to come in if you need help." Her eyes followed a boy who had just strolled through the entrance and was slowly making his way to form.

"You! McCann." She called, startling the poor guy.

"Yeah?" He answered, leaning against the door frame.

The woman smiled widely at me before shoving the files into my hand, "can you please show Miss Harding to her form class? You both have Mr Keating."

The boy nodded, "course."

I said a quick thank you to the receptionist before following 'McCann' down a long corridor.

"So you're new?" He smiled, walking backwards so that he could talk face to face.

"Yeah, I'm sorry you have to do this I'm probably making you even more late." I apologised.

He chuckled lightly before slinging a lanky arm over my shoulder.

"Nah don't worry, El isn't it?"

I was a bit weirded out by the sudden contact and him knowing my name, but I put that one down to the fact that it was plastered all over the file that was just handed to me.

"Yeah, and you are?"

Before he could answer the door to room 201 was swung open and I was tugged inside.

"Ryan you are bloody late again! And now you are terrorising the new student."

Mr Keating was defiantly no peach. His black slacks were coming apart at the seams and his glasses were crooked.

"Sorry sir."

Quiet laughter erupted around the class and the people around Ryan were nudging him whilst smirking. I for one did not understand what the laughter was about.

"Now everyone this is Eleanor Harding, she's new so make her feel welcome since you are all so nice." He rolled his eyes.

My eyes scanned the room for an empty seat and thankfully I spotted one beside a blonde haired girl.

"Hey, I'm Ade." She smiled, reminding me of Harper.

"Hi." My smile was slightly more awkward but thankfully she didn't say anything.

People began to talk whilst I scanned my timetable and got even more confused. The girl beside me dragged her chair closer to mine.

"Where's you first en?"

I located the first class which was English Literature in room 7.

"Sweet you basically have the same timetable as me apart from history, I'm more of a geography kinda lass."

I felt a lot more relieved knowing that I knew at least one person.

The bell rang and I stumbled behind Ade. Apparently the English literature rooms were in another building which was slightly confusing considering I was only ever used to being in one at all times.

I got a seat beside Ade and watched the door as the rest of the class charged in.

I was a little shocked to see the Ryan kid come in because in form I heard whispers that he usually bunked classes to do something.

"You came into class with Van didn't you!" Ade whispered as the room went quiet.

"Nope, I came into class with that Ryan guy." I yawned.

A smile formed on her face as she tried to hold in a laugh. "Ryan is Van, he prefers to be called Van but all the teachers around here call him Ryan to piss him off."

Just when I thought I couldn't get anymore confused.

Thankfully the teacher came in and started doing her thing. She spoke about Shakespeare and poetry right up until the bell went off.

I was sort of getting used to the place until it came to lunch time. Ade had disappeared and I couldn't see a glimpse of Harper's vibrant red hair.

Just as I was about to grab my lunch and hide in the bathroom for an hour, a guy with a lot of hair held back with what looked like a bandana sort of thing came running up to me.

"You're Eleanor right?" I nodded. "Thank Jesus! I'm Larry, Harper sent me on a mission to find you."

He seemed a little out of breath.

"Are you okay?" I chucked when he had to physically pause to control his breathing.

"Uh huh, sorry it's just my smokers lungs. Nasty habit I can't seem to kick." He sighed but stuck a smile on his face straight after.

Eventually he stood up straight and grabbed my hand, taking me to an unknown destination. That being a circular table with a group of people around it, I recognised Harper and Ade but that was about it.

"Thank God ya found her, I got your class mixed up and waited outside English Lit for fifteen minutes." Harper chuckled.

She shuffled down and made a space between herself and Ade who had now tied her long blonde hair up into a messy pony tail.

Mindless chatter went on until Ade spoke up.

"You all are so rude, introduce yourselves." She chuckled.

I already knew Ade and Harper so all eyes were on the four guys sitting opposite us.

"I'm Larry, you already met me. I'm pretty much talentless but I can roll a mean ciggie!"

"Well I'm Benji, I've got cool hair and I can play the bass." He shrugged

"They all call me Bondy but my actual name is Johnny Bond. Known for being a complete and utter ladies man as well as playing the guitar."

"Guess that leaves me, I'm Bob and my hair is sicker than Benji's. I'm also ace at the drums."

They were all musical which was pretty cool.

Before I could introduce myself another person joined the table.

"Lads I jus booked us a class gi- Oh hey El." He smiled excitedly

"That's Van, the one who you came into form with this morning. He won't cut his hair so don't even attempt to ask, he likes tea and he is musical as well I guess," Larry shrugged.

"I think 'is hair is sicker than Bobs." I smirked receiving a sad 'hey' from the drummer.

"Oi I like her, can we keep 'er? She's nice unlike you pricks." He laughed.

"Cheeky." Bondy chuckled.

Everyone returned to eating whilst Van reminded himself of what he was about to say.

"You booked us a class what?" Benji tried to re jog Vans memory by recounting his words.

"Yes! Lads I ave jus booked us a gig in an ace pub, I know it's not huge but it's bigger an what we're used to." He grinned

They played gigs. I probably should've already guessed that since they all seemed so musically talented, apart from Larry.

I tried my best to keep up with everyone's conversations, giving the occasional nod and short reply. From what I could tell, they had all known each other for years and I felt a little out of place coming into it all.

"You're not busy tonight, right?" Ade asked.

"Nah, I'm free."

A smile grew on her nude lipstick-covered lips, "perfect! Harper and I was gonna have a sleepover, jus the usual Netflix with a shit ton of food. You in?"

How could I turn that one down?

"I'm in." I grinned.

A bell rang signalling the end of lunch which was defiantly unfortunate. Thankfully the end of the day came by fast.

My induction day to a new school was over. Next week was my official start and I was grateful that I wasn't walking into it alone.

I put my earphones into my ears, allowing Naive by The Kooks to bless my eardrums as I strolled down the streets of Llandudno.

That was until someone tapped my shoulder and I turned around to find Van.

"Alright lass?" He grinned, shoving his hands into his leather jacket pockets.

"Yeah, and yourself?" I smiled, taking out my earphones and carefully putting them into my pocket.

"I'm good thanks, so where you off too?"

"Home jus, need to get ready to go to Ade's tonight."

He chuckled lightly.

"I'm surprised you 'avent got lost yet, where do you live?"

To be honest, I had kind of lost track of where I was. I blame my music playlists, they take my thoughts elsewhere.

"Abbey Road, across the street from some b&b I think?" I believed the building was called Abbey House but I really wasn't sure.

"No way, Abbey House right? That's mad, me mam and dad own at b&b. I live there too obviously." He rambled.

"Sweet, you can tell me if I'm lost or not." I laughed, looking around for something familiar.

A smile grew on his face.

"Your going the right way, jus follow me and you'll be fine." He offered his arm to which I gladly linked my own with.

He seemed nice, pretty charming and I'm not going to lie, he was attractive. Van was able to pull of the look and give off a vibe that reminded me of Oasis or even The Strokes. It was cool.

We spent the rest of the walk talking about Vans band. I was more than glad to watch him speak about it because you could see the passion in his eyes. He had worked hard for his music career and even though they were only preforming in small pubs, he loved it.

"You'll have to let me hear you all someday." I grinned as we approached my house.

His cheeks slightly reddened but I put it down to the fact that it was currently colder than the Antarctic. "I'd like that."

"Thanks for basically walking me home." I laughed, leaning up against the wooden gate infront of my house.

"Not a problem love, anytime."

"I better go and get ready, hate running late." I sighed.

"Okay, sure maybe I'll see you later. Bye El." I wasn't expecting him to hug me but he did, it was slightly awkward but defiantly not uncomfortable.

I flashed a quick smile before turning around and unlocking the front door. Van had already turned around and was heading across the road through the doors of Abbey House.

When I got into the hall I was met with the scent of intense smoke, alcohol and something else.

"Mum? I'm home." I yelled, peeping my head through the living room door.

My eyes searched around the room until I found my mum sitting in the corner with an unfamiliar face beside her.

"Who's that?" I raised a brow, staring out the man with messy stubble and heavily bloodshot eyes.

Her head snapped round to face me.

"This is Kyle and that's all you need to know."

It was then that my eyes clocked onto the objects in Kyle's hand, they scent then made sense.

"Please tell me that's not weed mam."

"What's it to you if it is?" Kyle narrowed his brows.

I looked at my mum in shock, she was not only allowing a drugie into our home but also allowing him to speak to me like shit.

"I'm staying at my friends tonight." I mumbled, glaring at my mother and storming up two flights of stairs to get into my attic room.

She hadn't opened her mouth and I was now past caring. The smoking and drinking was bad but drugs? That was a whole other level for her.

My phone lit up with a text from Harper who had thankful installed everyone's numbers into my phone.

From Harper the Artist
Sent at 16:08
'Hey! Heard you live across from Van, he accidentally messaged me instead of Larry. My mam can pick you up on our way to Ade's, I completely forgot that you might not know your way around yet! See you at 7pm xxxx'

I replied a quick 'thank you' before rushing around my room throwing my charger, deodorant, pyjamas and all the other necessities for a sleepover into a bag. I had also ensured to pack anther outfit which was suggested by Ade because sometimes they like to go out and do stuff.

After fixing myself up I ran over to my mattress and lifted it up, grabbing some money that I had saved from working and birthdays.

I was ready and at seven on the dot, I heard a horn beep from across the street.

I raced downstairs and didn't even bother to say goodbye, I was still pretty infuriated.

Harper was leaning up against her mothers car, frantically waving when she saw me come out the door.

She was talking to Larry who was standing outside the b&b probably away to see Van or something. Ade had told me that they were very close.

"Looking good El." He smirked as I threw my stuff into the back of the car.

"Right back at ya Larry."

I jumped into the back and got buckled in as Harper got settled back into the front.

"Alright ladies, lets hit the road en." Her mam beamed.

Harper looked very alike her mum. They both had shoulder length hair and deep brown eyes as well as the exact same smile.

"So your new round here Eleanor?" Harper's mum asked as we took a left turn.

"Yeah, my mam and I just properly moved in yesterday."

Thankfully she didn't ask why.

"Lovely, well you can call me Sarah and I promise you'll love it 'ere." She smiled warmly.

Soon enough we took a turn into a more country path and pulled up outside a huge cottage.

"Be safe girls and text me if you need anything." Harper's mum grinned as we took all of our stuff out of the car and headed into Ade's.

Her house was absolutely beautiful. The whitewashed walls were emphasised with window panes painted a poppy red and a black door placed front and centre. Flowers made a path to the entrance which was where an excited Ade stood.

"Alright girls!" She beamed, hugging us both and leading us inside.

We followed her into a huge living room which was surprisingly modern. Although the country beauty was kept which wooden furniture and fairy lights scattered around the room.

"My mam and dad are out this weekend so we have the place to ourselves. In other words, tonight we have no rules."

It was an understatement to say that I was excited. I hadn't had a proper sleepover since I was 12, after that my friendships had went downhill and I spent most nights alone.

Ade went into the kitchen and got all the essential food and drinks to go with all the movies that we had planned to watch.

However the movies got held back because Harper wanted to take photos of us all for her Instagram and art coursework.

Just as we were mid way through 'The Conjuring', Ade's phone buzzed scaring the shit out of us all.

"It's just Bondy, they're bored and heard we have a free. Do you's mind if they come round?"

Harper's eyes went wide.

"Right, but we are in our fluffy pyjamas and makeup-less faces. Not that we don't look hot but we will never hear the end of it from them."

She had a point.

"I'll tell them to come here in an hour, that gives us all enough time I hope." Ade chuckled, texting Bondy back and dragging us upstairs.

I decided to start with my makeup, applying foundation with a brush before setting it all with a powder. I quickly filled in my eyebrows before doing eyeshadow and winged eyeliner, completing the eye look with mascara. Finally I shoved on my favourite lipstick 'Whirl' from MAC, I guess you could say I was passionate about makeup.

Whilst Ade took at seat at her vanity table I quickly changed into a pair of dark black denim shorts, with a maroon cropped sweater and converse that matched the exact colour.

I've always been a pretty prepared person.

Finally I sprayed some dry shampoo in my hair and brush it out, leaving it down where it thankfully stayed decent.

"We are looking good lads!" Ade grinned.

I quickly sprayed one of my Victoria's Secret perfumes that my nan got me a few months back just before the doorbell rang.

Harper and I plopped down on a sofa in the living room whilst Ade opened the door allowing the five lads inside.

"Let's get this party started!"

This is my first CATB fanfic dedicated to the love of my life, Van McCann😇 I'm just going to apologise for my writing and if it doesn't make sense feel free to tell me, feedback is always great!

Goodnight my loves🏃🏻

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Fake love By :)

Fanfiction

115K 2.7K 42
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
342K 16.5K 77
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...
132K 3.6K 74
Stray Kids is on tour! Ella wins a prize at the concert that ends up turning her entire life upside down. She uncovers the dark secrets to K-Pop and...
645K 39.4K 104
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...