Beast Behind the Mask

Da Human-girl

He's Ruthless. He's Dark. He's Dangerous. He's Possessive. He's the Alpha... Altro

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 13

24.7K 593 108
Da Human-girl

Hey Guys! Sorry for the late update. I have my mid-semester exams going on.

------------------------------

CHAPTER 13

I stared at my Mom. And stared. And stared some more. I couldn't believe it.

"You're leaving?" My voice no more than a croak.

My Mom was standing in front of me, wringing her hands together, worrying her bottom lip with her teeth, her brows drawn together, a contrite look on her face. 

"Listen, honey," she came closer, stroking my hair as I sat on the bed looking up at her, "We go every year. You know how important it is to me. But if you're anxious or uncomfortable, just say the word and I'll cancel it"

I knew. My Mom didn't live with the pack so she never got to do the usual werewolf stuff, like going for a run, hunting, a full moon pack run. So every year when Mom came to visit, she would always go to their yearly road trip. Where all the werewolves that wanted to go would gather and travel to large forests and jungles, picturesque, beautiful places filled with waterfalls and streams where they would be in touch with their baser instincts. Each year Mom always came with a picture of a different place, as or more breath-taking as the last one. Now, again it was time for her expedition. And she was leaving. On the day with my date with Hunter and his sister.

"It's ok Mom." I sighed, "Don't worry, I'll be fine."

"You're sure?" She still looked worried.

"Yes!" I enunciated as I hugged her. I smiled, "I'll be all right."

I saw as little by little the wrinkles of distress left her face until she beamed at me. My heart squeezed. I loved her so much. Many kids didn't realize it but parents sacrificed a lot for their children. I knew, I had witnessed it first hand. It was small concessions, like not going out with her friends every Friday night, instead staying home and taking care of me, never pushing me past my limits to socialize, always being there for me, never going to live with her pack, her only family since my Mom's parents had kicked her out once she became pregnant with me and my 'dad' was nowhere in the picture, but the pack had taken her in with open arms and for that I will always be utterly grateful to them. 

"I love you Mom." I grinned teasingly, "Go have fun. You have my permission."

She laughed as she hugged me, "Ok. I'll call you whenever we get network, don't worry about Hunter, he's your mate. You'll be just fine with him. And Do. Not. Forget. To. Eat." She warned as I stood up. She gave this exhortation every time she left.

"I won't."

"Ok." she smiled as we reached the door to my room, "Take care of yourself. I love you."

"I love you too." I hugged her one more time before she left the room. 

I closed the door and looked around the room. I exhaled slowly. Time to start preparing. It was already 4 PM. Before leaving my bed this morning, with a kiss that still made my toes curl and my pulse quicken, Hunter had told me to get ready by 7:30 and 'dress formal'. I walked in my closet and looked around. What should I wear. I sighed. I should really take more interest in shopping. I searched for what felt like an eternity until I found a black strapless dress that Mom had given me on my 18th birthday, which I had never worn. I took out black stilettos, black leggings and a little black jacket, the same material as the dress, with a silver zip lining the sides just as it was lining the back of my dress. I looked at the time. It was already 4:30. I hurried into the bathroom to shower and shave.

I looked at myself. The dress fitted perfectly. All my curves were on display. The dress narrowing at my waist then flaring out to hug my bottom. My legs, clad in black leggings and stilettos, looked longer. I didn't know much about makeup. Only evening out the winged liner to look the same on both eyes had taken at least half an hour. I had put on a little blush and cherry red lipstick and curled my hair. The only jewelry I was wearing were the diamond studs in my ears. I smiled to myself. I looked pretty. I sprinkled a little perfume and just as I turned around, there was a knock on the door then in walked Hunter. The breath I was about to take froze in my lungs, he looked...Spectacular, devilishly handsome, jJaw-dropping. All these words paled  in comparison. Just like me he was wearing an all black suit, black shirt, coat, slacks. His hair neatly pulled back parted from the side, a light stubble dusting his square jaw. I realized while I was taking him in he was doing the same.

And then..."You can't wear that." He all but growled. His silver eyes darkening.

I looked at him perplexed and more than a little hurt, "What? Why?"

One second he was across the room the next he was right in front of me. He took me by my waist and pulled me flush against himself, chest to chest. 

"Because you look too damn beautiful." He murmured, his lips touching my ear making a tingle shoot straight from my spine to my brain, making me feel lightheaded. "I don't want anyone looking at you and thinking what I'm thinking." He kissed just below my ear. My breathe quickened. My pulse spiked.  Little needled of awareness, and sparks of electricity coursing through my veins. I knew I shouldn't but..

"What are you thinking?" I whispered.

He growled and pulled back, even though I was wearing four inch heels he still towered over me. He looked at me, his eyes turning darker. He didn't say what was going through his mind. He showed me. He took my mouth and devoured me. His didn't ask. He invaded my mouth and tangled his tongue with mine. I sipped from his mouth as he pulled me harder against him. A little whimper escaped me as he tangled his hand in my hair, arched my back and his tongue delved deeper, caressing all the caverns in my mouth, stroking my tongue with his, he sucked my lower lip before letting go. I was breathing hard and I wasn't even surprised when his lungs seemed in no need of extra air. I realized my hands were in his hair. I looked at him.

"Ummm..Hunter" I whispered as I touched the corner of his mouth, "You have lipstick on your face."

His eyes took on their ever-present glint of condescending humor as he replied, "I know Kitten. You should also clean up."

At his remark I turned around and knew why. My lipstick was destroyed, most of it gone, while which was left wasn't actually on my lips but around it. I turned back around, "I've never had my lipstick ruined before." I whispered stepping closer. 

He pulled me in his arms again as he smirked down at me, "I know." 

He kissed me once more, this time softly before pulling away, "I'm waiting downstairs. When you're ready come down."

After rectifying my appearance I rushed downstairs. The usual hustle bustle of the pack was there. I looked around for Hunter, returning everyone's greetings. I felt the pull and went with it. He was standing outside next to his car. But he wasn't alone. My heart rate picked up as I recalled why we were really going out. His sister. It had temporarily slipped from my mind. The closer I got the more anxious I became until Hunter encircled my waist and pulled me closer to his side. 

"Cass, this is my mate Ariana Sullivan. Kitten, my sister, Cassidy Vega."

I took in her appearance. She was very beautiful. Up close I saw her eyes were aqua blue. she had a heart shaped face and a small button nose. Her lips were full, tinged a glossy pink. Her brown hair, in soft curls, fell just below her shoulder. She was wearing a knee-length floral sleeveless dress and pink flat pumps. 

She stuck out her hand. I simultaneously waved with a hi. Her eyes flared. Strike One.

"Cass, Ariana doesn't like to be touched." Hunter said as he tweaked his sister's nose.

"It's true." I said taking a step forward, "I can't stand it. It's nothing personal."

"Oh ok. Well nice to finally meet you Ariana." She said it like she had never seen me before, "I had heard a lot about my brother's mate, now I finally saw what all the fuss was about, you're beautiful." She smiled sweetly. Too sweetly. I was flabbergasted. What was happening? Was this her tactic? She was going to pretend to be nice in front of her brother? I didn't go out and make friends. So I had never encountered a social situation out of my comfort zone to learn how to tackle such cases. And this situation was way out of my league. 

"Umm..thanks." It came out more like a question.

After that Hunter ushered us in the car and her and I went for the passenger door handle at the same time. Oh God. Just as I was about to step back Hunter said, "Cass, why don't you sit in the back this time?"

If looks could kill. She glared as she went in the back. Hunter closed her door then helped me in. After everyone was in we took off. 

"Do you have any CDs?" I asked Hunter as I looked inside the dashboard.

"Of what?" 

I looked at him. "Of music."

"I don't listen to music." He replied off handedly.

I gasped, "You don't listen to music? Any kind of music?" 

He shook his head, "It's a waste of time."

I looked incredulously at Cassidy who just looked bored. I looked back at Hunter. My number one mission, introduce Hunter to music. 

We reached the restaurant and were seated in a special room with a round table that had three waiters already present, waiting for us. The place was extravagant to say the least. There was chandelier hanging from the ceiling and a kind of victorian feel to the whole restaurant, with vases and chalices decorating the corner tables. We weren't asked to order. The menu was already set. 

"So Ariana." Cassidy started, eagerly leaning closer with her elbows on the table, "Tell me about yourself."

"Well..I'm eighteen. I was born in California and I just finished high school. What about you?" I asked. I really didn't know what was going through her mind but I decided to just play along.

"Oh!" She chuckled, "I'm thirteen, I go to the private high school, The Preston High, I'm a cheerleader and...I love going out!" She finished just as the food arrived.

The dinner went unexpectedly well. Mostly Cassidy and I chatted about music, likes, dislikes, favorite places, Hunter took her to different place every year any time he was free, she had been to Greece, the whole of Europe including Paris, the place that I wanted to go to the most. I was really surprised to see the exchange between the siblings. For all of Hunter's roughness, he was very tender with his sister and the light hearted banter and the way she was looking at him showed me how his sister practically worshipped him. It was nice. I had never been in a gathering with people closer to my age before, so this was a new experience. 

After dessert, which included a mouth watering chocolate lava cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side, we were off. Once we reached the pack house Hunter helped me and Cassidy out, just as we were about to walk in, Hunter's phone rang. He looked at the screen and a dark scowl appeared on his face, he glared at the screen before cutting the call. He looked at me, his face impassive.

"Kitten you go on in your room. I might not be able to come to you tonight." He kissed my forehead. "I'll see you tomorrow."

He then turned to his sister, "Cass go on upstairs, and don't stay up late. You have school tomorrow." 

She nodded and kissed his cheek just before his phone started ringing again. Hunter cut the call once more before heading towards his house. 

I was just about to go when..

"You!" I turned around just in time to see Cassidy advancing towards me, her eyes spitting fire, "You cow. What the hell do you think you are doing?!"

"Wh-Wha...?" I sputtered. What was wrong with her?

 "If for even one second you think that you can take my brother away from me, you're dead wrong!"

What? I looked around, not many  people were outside, just two men and one lady who were involved in their own heated conversation and didn't seem to be paying attention to us.

"No matter what you do, your wile ways are not gonna work on him. He's my brother! And no matter what you think now, but he's going to dump you!" she pointed a finger at me, face red with anger, "I'll make sure of it."

With that she turned around and stomped inside. I was so shocked I couldn't even say anything. What just happened? After the dinner, how we talked, I thought she was warming up to me. I sighed as I made my way towards my room. I didn't know what I was going to do. She practically hated me. And she was a big part of Hunter. I knew I needed to find a way to make her see reason. She was just scared. Scared of losing the person she loved the most. I had my work cut out for me. I had to make her see that I was not going to come between her and her brother, she would be just as important to him as before. 

I entered my room and changed out of the dress in my usual oversized T-shirt and a pair of panties. After removing my make-up and brushing my teeth I lied down in bed. I wondered what that call was about. Hunter had had such a dark look on his face when he saw his phone screen. Maybe I'll ask him tomorrow. I turned on my side. I missed him already. Sleeping beside Hunter gives me a kind of peace I have never felt before. I closed my eyes, I really needed to start talking more with the pack members. I groaned. Too much socializing. 

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerΓ  anche

2.1M 93K 31
"You are mine, Natalya. I will show you over and over if I have to." ***** In a werewolf's life, you live your life around constant companionship but...
741K 18K 29
Follow Amelia and see how she finds love after being Banished by her own Alpha mate.
4.3M 53.1K 53
All Ariana every wanted was to find her mate and live happily ever after. Ever since she was a little pup she dreamt of finding him, but when the day...
759K 21.8K 40
Opposites attract. Everyone has heard this phrase at least once in their lives. Well, what if the person you're meant to be with is truly the opposit...