Destined

Bởi AlexisMAskew

(Book One of the Elemental Series)Bella has only known a terrible life living with her Aunt and Uncle. She lo... Xem Thêm

Chapter One: Letters in the Wind
Chapter Two: Shadows in the Dark
Chapter Three: Answers for the Lost
Chapter Four: Elementum Academy
Chapter Five: F.E.A.R.
Chapter Six: Sleep like Death
Chapter Seven: Search for Answers
Chapter Eight: Lockdown
Chapter Nine: The Perfect Target
Chapter Ten: The Mark
Chapter Eleven: This Is Only The Beginning
Chapter Twelve: The Transfer
Chapter Thirteen: The Attack
Chapter Fourteen: Silence
Chapter Sixteen: The Waters Below
Chapter Seventeen: Puzzle Peices
Chapter Eighteen: The Cloth
Chapter Nineteen: All Along
Chapter Twenty: In The End

Chapter Fifteen: From A Distance

2.9K 196 4
Bởi AlexisMAskew

Dreamless sleep is starting to become a regular thing as the days pass. It is strange, I realize when I begin to think about it, how the attacker- Levi- seemed so determined to stop me for knowing so much, and now, he has given up. Was it because he failed? Lost interest? Or does he know that Tommy and I have finally discovered his identity? The next week drags on, bringing test, quizzes, more homework, and magic. I am able to concentrate better, and have managed to actually use Water and not the wrong element.

The week comes to a close, bringing Saturday. Tommy and I have not told Sophia of our discovery, and I am slowly distancing myself for Levi, so he won't suspect anything. It's hard when he is always addressing me, making jokes, and being Levi. I keep my answers short, try not to laugh or pay much attention to his remarks. I rarely address him unless he addresses me first. But all the distance can't ease the betrayal that has wrapped around me and threatened to suffocate me if I think of it too much. Levi, I've probably though for the thousandth time that week, my friend, the attacker. How is this possible?

I've been watching him when he isn't looking, trying to see any glimpse of the heartless member of F.E.A.R. that attacked me, and Cora, and the others. Or a glimpse of maybe the burn I left on his arm. He is always wearing long sleeves, and there are no signs that I can see. I have questioned, every night, whether I am mistaken, that he is not the attacker, that I am seeing things that aren't there. But there is just so much evidence.

Before breakfast on Saturday morning, I sit in the girls dorm as it clears out. The teachers are no longer escorting students to The Hall, realizing it is little use. I sit alone as the last girl leaves, and a few minutes later I follow behind. I slowly descend the staircase, my mind wondering. I am on the fifth floor when I notice someone leaving the corridor on the floor below, and I recognize his blond hair from above immediately; Levi. I stop dead in my tracks and watch, as he makes his way down the stairs. I feel like a stalker at the moment, but if it confirms my suspicions, then that's what I will do, stalk. He seems casual as he turns the corner to the other flight, and I silently kept my pace steady, just enough to keep him in my sight, but me out of his.

I am by the corridor Levi had exited when I feel someone approach me from behind. Still on edge from the week before, I spin around, changeling my power and thinking of wind. For some reason it's always Air that comes to mind at first. I'm not sure why, fire is the element that I am the best at wielding, but the first element I think of is Air. A gust of wind sends the boy behind me flying backwards. I recognize him once he is pinned to the stone wall.

"Ouch!" Tommy says, glaring at me from the wall.

I drop my hand and the hold on him disappears with the motion. I haven't a single idea where the sudden burst of power came from. I settle with that it is just my anxiety.

"What the hell were you thinking? Sneaking up on me?" I demand my heart still racing,

Tommy only laughs, and I suppress the urge to do so as well. I am trying to be angry at him for sneaking up on me, or at least trying to look angry.

"So, are we stalking people now?" He asks, glancing over the edge of the staircase were Levi had already disappeared from sight.

I look over as well, letting my blonde hair fall and hide my face, which I am sure is red. There is nothing to look at but staircases, and vines, and the floor far below.

"I had an opportunity so I took it." I explain. "It's not like we're getting much info from watching him eat bacon."

Tommy laughs again and this time I join in backing away from the edge, my shoulder brushing his. It feels like it has been so long since I laughed and this time it feels believable.

We start to descend the staircase, and I let my mind wander yet again. It is starting to become a regular thing. It isn't always wandering to questions or to Levi and how he can't possibly be the attacker, but to another person in particular.

You can't judge a book by it's cover. That certain person had said.

The familiar phrase echoes in my head. Often I would let my mind wander to Tommy. He seems to be on my mind a lot lately and no matter how hard I try, he still remains there. I'm not sure what my thoughts or feelings mean, I have never felt these feelings for someone, but I had read enough books to know it is more than just passing thoughts.

I glance over at him now. He is walking next to me, his eyes focused on the stone below. He seems to be in deep thought, just like me. I wonder what he is thinking about, and I am tempted to ask. Before any words form in my head, my feet are caught up on the vines that weave their way around the first floor steps. I haven't been paying attention, and I have tripped, The ground is suddenly getting close when I feel Tommy grab me around my waist at stop me from falling forward. I let out a sigh of relief as he pulls me back upright, but I am all aware of his strong arm around me.

"You okay?" He asks, eyeing me with concern.

"Yeah." I reply, my heart racing again.

"You're clumsy." He points out, smiling down at me.

"I wasn't playing attention." I say as an excuse, which is true.

I can't look away from his grey eyes at that moment. His intense gaze is still on me and I want to lean forward and rest my head against his shoulder and to forget about the attacks and Levi and everything, just for a small moment. As if he has just become aware of his hand still on my side, he quickly removes it and the moment breaks.

"Thanks for the rescue." I quickly say, trying to cut through the awkwardness that is suddenly between us.

"No problem." He replies, smiling over at me.

We don't say another word as we make our way into The Hall and sit in our usual place across from Levi and Sophia. They both eyes us suspiciously, which they have been doing the past 2 or 3 days Tommy and I had walked in together. I question what is going through their minds when a shadow is suddenly cast over me, and I look to my left to see Victoria standing over me, a smug smile on her face as always.

"Aw. It's the love birds. So adorable." She says, and we all watch her in confusion.

"Excuse me?" I say, trying to decipher what exactly she is thinking.

"Oh, come on, Bella. Don't play dumb. Everyone knows that you and Tommy are dating."

"What!?" Both Tommy and I exclaim in unison.

So that's what's going through Levi's and Sophia's mind.

Victoria rolls her eyes and takes a seat next to me, grabbing a piece of bacon off my plate. I restrain myself from snatching it back out of her hand.

"Seriously. You guys can drop the act." She says, a hint of envy in her tone.

It's my turn to roll my eyes.

"What act?" Tommy asks.

Victoria sighs dramatically, dropping the half eaten bacon back onto my plate.

"Come on, Victoria." Tommy continues, his tone flat. "If you're going to come up with a rumor to spread, at least make it a good one."

His words feel like someone has just driven a knife into my heart, and the moment that passed by us minutes ago, and what happened in the clinic, feels like a dream. Victoria stares at me intently, taking in my expression, and what I fear is true. She has seen the pain flash across my face.

"Oh, it's a good one." She replies, her smile mocking and cruel. She always seems to need someone to target, and with Cora gone, I am the next victim.

She stands and starts to make her way back to the other side of The Hall, as anger floods my thoughts and emotions. I haven't felt the need to be this angry in a long time, not since I left my Aunt's and Uncle's. Yes, I was angry at the attacker, for what he has done. But it all suddenly catches up to me. I want to run after her, to tell her what a horrible person she is for playing with people's emotions. For attacking Cora when she didn't deserve it, though I want to tell Levi the same thing.

Water.

The element Cora specializes in is in my head before I can stop it. Victoria sits in her seat at the same time all the liquid in her cup, and the others around her, sprays up into the air, falling around her and drenching her. But it doesn't brings me any satisfaction to see her shocked face as she tries to cover herself from the water. I want to do something else, to show her she is messing with the wrong person. I am aware of someone saying my name, but I don't know who.

Fire.

Another element comes to mind, and I am concentrating hard on the water around her, as if it is gasoline, ready to ignite.

"Bella!" Tommy's hand is suddenly on my shoulder, jerking me around so that I now facing him.

He looks puzzled, and I glance over at Levi and Sophia to see the same look.

"What?" I say, harshly.

He doesn't reply, but keeps his hand on my shoulder, the puzzlement fading to concern.

"Isabella Copper." A man's voice says from behind me.

Oh no.

I slowly turn around to see Professor Ward, standing at the end of my table. He must have been making his way from the staff table at the front of the hall, to the exit, and saw the event that had just unfolded. I catch a glimpse of Victoria running out of The Hall, drenched with water, and suppress a smile.

"Isabella. You know that using your powers against other students is against the rules." He points out.

I keep quiet, not sure what to say in response. Professor Ward is one of the cool teachers, maybe I'll somehow, by some miracle, get off the hook.

"I'm very disappointed in you. I expect to see you in my class Friday afternoon for detention." And with that he turns and starts to walk away.

"Bella? What was all that about?" Levi asks, and I turn to face him.

Another surge of anger washes over me, but I see reason and know that I have to get out of there, otherwise I might succeed in catching Levi on fire. Despite how huge The Hall is, I feel it closing in on me, and my thoughts are racing. I have no clue what is happening to me, I have never felt so panicked. I quickly stand, turning away from my friends and run to the door. I can hear them calling after me, but walls around me are getting closer and closer.

What is going on? Why had I lost control of my powers?

I long to run out the door bound by the thick vines. Months ago, back with the Hunter family, when I would become overwhelmed with emotions, I would walk the streets of Abbey Circle, and sit at the abandoned park, just like I did the day I had gotten my letter from Elementum Academy. But there is no escape to the outside world I long forward. I had only ever thought of this place as an escape, with friends and answers. Now, it feels more like a prison, and it is starting to drive me crazy.

That's why I lost control, I think, that's why I'm panicking.

I stop in the corridor that leads to the staircase, leaning up against the cold stone wall, closing my eyes and trying to slow my racing heart. I can't figure out where the overwhelming anger to Victoria had come from, nor the panicking. I have been on edge since I was attacked, but this is different, something I can't explain. I take a deep breath. At that moment, I wish Cora was here. I've missed my friend, the one person who I could talk to, the first person I had met that was like me, the closest friend I had ever had. But she isn't here, and there is only one person to blame because of that.

Footsteps break me out of my thoughts, and my eyes fly open and I straighten up, looking for the culprit. I relax when I see Tommy, walking down the corridor to me, his gray eyes glowing in the light if the Lumias.

"Are you alright?" He asks. I've lost count on how many times he has asked me that.

"I'm fine." I lie, crossing my arms over my chest and leaning back against the wall.

"What happened back there?" He questions.

"I don't know." I reply. "I just, lost control. I can't explain it."

"I'm sorry about what happened. You don't deserve to be targeted like that." He says.

I know he is referring to Victoria, but the sentence runs deeper than that.

"I just want to get out of here. To go beyond those doors and breath in fresh air, to feel and see the expanse of the world around me, instead of these walls." I stop myself from revealing any more of my thoughts. Only God knows what might slip out.

Though my eyes were shut, I can hear the amusement and mischievousness in Tommy's voice as he speaks. "I think I might be able to help with that."

I open my eyes and glance over at him. He is standing only inches from me, a smile playing on his face.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask.

"It's a surprise. Meet me here tonight at midnight, and I'll show you."

"What are you up to?" I question suspiciously.

He only smiles and winks at me, before turning and making his way back to The Hall.   

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

Elements Bởi Mar-Chan

Viễn tưởng

5.9K 296 32
How would you feel if you got lost in a storm and lost some of your memories. Well meet crystal she's a sweet girl who has special abilities like eve...
115 46 41
This book is the first of the series, most likely gonna be the only one but I'm not sure yet! THE ELEMENTS OF POWER! A group of people, only six, wh...
1.3K 110 30
(Book 1) Schools out, everyone is visiting their friends and family and are traveling to different places or are staying at home... But three childre...
181K 6.6K 33
Adrianna, a girl with the element water. She entered element academy to learn and control her element water, which is one of the four elements that a...