Imagining Frost

By katrocks247

"Imagine If the sky was shades of purple instead of blue. Imagine If the trees were so tall that they disappe... More

All Rights Reserved
Authors Note! (Hey there) ;)
Prologue~The Boy With The Blue Hair
(2) Birthday Forebodings
(3) Message From The Other Side
(4) Blue Streamers
(5) The Chase
(6) One Messed Up Ouija Board
(7) Deep Within The Woods
(8) The Perfect Costume
(9) Beginning To Frost
(10) A Chilling Discovery
(11) Ice Patch
(12) Black Ice
(13) Thin Ice
(14) Hypothermia
(15) Hailstone

(1) Blue To The Rescue

127K 4.6K 1.9K
By katrocks247

~And if you have to leave, I wish you would just leave. ~Your presence still lingers here and it won't leave me alone ~When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears.

*********

“So I can come in?” the boy asked Heather again, as if he didn’t believe her words.

She held the door open wider, motioning for him to follow, “Yes you can come in, silly! I already said you could!”

The strange boy Heather had found by the wood stepped into the house gracefully. His electric blue hair moved off of his forehead, into a combed back manner. Heather’s eyes widened and she let out a giggle, at that small movement. His slightly slanted eyes grazed over the modern house, slightly in awe.

He returned his gaze to hers, his hands politely clasped behind his back, “Are you’re… parent’s home?”

She nodded, excited to have tea with her new friend. “Mom is in the kitchen, baking—“

The boy motioned for her to be quiet with a finger, “Whisper,” he said gently.

“Why?”

“Heather?” her Mum questioned from the kitchen, “is that you dear?” Her heels clicked down the hallway, until she arrived before them. She wiped her hands on her apron and smiled, “Who were you talking to?”

“Him Mommy, I brought a...friend to play,” she replied, motioning to the boy at her side, who was studying Heather's Mother as though she were a foreign object. Heather realized at that moment that she never asked the boy his name.

The Mom laughed and squatted down to Heather’s level. “I see, and does this boy have a name?” she asked, looking at Heather and not the beautiful boy. Heather felt rather cross that her Mother was ignoring her friend and her gaze slipped sideways to look at him. Her Mother followed her child's gaze, looking at the empty space beside her.

The boy shifted uncomfortably under the two gazes. “My name is not important," he murmered.

“Heather?” the woman asked, fixing her dress, “what is his name?” she repeated.

“Weren’t you listening to him?” Heather retorted, angry that her Mother still ignored him.

“No, I guess I wasn’t.”

 “Well, he said his name isn’t important.”

The Mother stood up, adjusting her apron once again, “Oh ok, you two have fun. I will make some goodies for the both of you! Would you like some hot chocolate?”

The boy’s face brightened and he nodded slightly to Heather, but he remained silent.

Heather grabbed his hand, “Yes please, we will go play now!”  

Her Mother gave Heather a tight smile that didn't reach her eyes as her gaze grazed over where Heather had pronounced the invisible boy to be. She kept her face blank, only to express her worry when her child ran up the stairs, giggling with her new friend as if they were racing up the stairs.

*****************************************************************************

~Two weeks later-

“No, no! You don’t eat them!” Heather scolded the blue haired boy, taking the crayon out of his mouth. At first he looked angry that he couldn’t chew it. She noted that the boy is always hungry, and eats everything in their fridge, especially the chocolate milk which just so happened to be Heather’s personal favorite.

Although she still did not know his name, she called him ‘Blue’ because of his strange hair. After dinner on the first day she had brought him home, he had stayed until she had fallen asleep in her bed and when she had woken in the morning he was gone. She was very disappointed and had moped inside all day until her Mother had insisted she go outside. Imagine Heather's excitement when the boy had been waiting for her right by her swing.

Now, every once in a while Blue would show up when she was lonely, and play games with her. The last of her summer was spent playing hide and seek in the backyard, and letting him push her on the swing. Her life wasn’t lonely as she thought it would be, because he was always there.

When her Mother had announced that school would be starting the very next day, on Heathers Birthday, she insisted that Blue would accompany her. Secretly, she was feeling rather scared and didn't want to go alone. Maybe, just maybe, if Blue came, he would protect her from the nasty, larger girls she had met on her visits.

To her delight he had said yes, but only if he could eat her ham and cheese sandwich.

On Heather first day of school and her eighth Birthday, the day had started out perfect, her Mummy and Daddy had woken her up with presents and pancakes and Heather had shared hers with Blue as her Mother had forgotten to make a plate for him. She had gotten a brand new school bag that was filled with her very own stationary, and some beautiful colored pens and pencils. Heather couldn't wait to use them. 

Her Daddy had been the one to drop her off at school, after she had insisted that her Mom pack an extra lunch for Blue. After her request her Mother had done something that suprised Heather. She knelt down and took Heathers hands.

"Heather, dear," she began, "don't you think that it might be best if you leave Blue at home for the day? School would be boring for him, he could wait up in your bedroom until you come home, I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

Heather looked at her Mother, shaking her head firmly. "Blue is coming with me. He wants to come with me, Mommy. He wants to protect me from the big girls."

Her Mother had sighed and stood up, packing a quick second lunch before taking Heathers hand and leading her out to the car.

They were now at school, playing together in a corner during lunchtime, avoiding the other children. Heather was patiently trying to teach Blue how to use her brand new stationary, but she could help feeling annoyed as Blue mauled her new green crayon. 

Blue made a face of disgust, spitting out the crayon, “What a strange taste. I do not understand why you use these repulsive devices, if you cannot eat them!”

She took a deep breathe and took the chewed crayon away from him, putting a pink one in his hand, “You color with them, and they aren’t food! It’s called a crayon.”

“Cray-on,’ Blue pronounced it slowly, emphasizing each part. “And exactly should I do with this Cray-on?” he asked curiously, watching her with his chlorine eyes. Heather fascinated the boy to no end.

Heather smiled shyly, “You color, like this,” she told him, guiding his cool hand along the paper with the crayon. Together they colored in the fish. Heather added a small eye on its head, and waves of water around it.

“See, now there’s a fish!”

“How fascinating,” he spoke in awe, touching the wax surface of the colored paper. “And this…this is pa-pir?”

“No…that’s paper. Pa-per,” she pronounced. He tried to say it again but it came out wrong. He  threw up his hands in frustration as they started to glow.

 "Nazgul pushdug sha" he cursed. Heather quickly pulled his hands down and covered them before he could do anything that would get Heather into trouble.

"I told you not to do that here!" Heather hissed at Blue. His mouth formed an 'O'. 

“Hey Feather,” a high pitched voice sneered, only belonging to Sarah Hemington. She took the crayon out of Heather’s hand, and threw it across the table.“What are you coloring? Hmm?”

Heather cringed at her nickname, and then looked nervously at the paper, “A fish,” she replied quietly.

Sarah picked up the paper, and held it above her head, “Fish are gross, just like you!”

“Are not!” Heather jumped out of her seat, reaching up to grab the paper. She was shorter than most kids in her class, especially Sarah, who was the tallest. “Give it back!” Her head whirled around to Blue, who was sitting quietly in his chair, observing Sarah with narrowed eyes.

“Hey everyone! Feather has an imaginary friend!” Sarah shouted, gaining the attention of the whole class.

All the kids surround them, laughing at the scene. Heather stopped jumping, feeling tears prick at her eyes, “He’s real!” She pointed at Blue, realizing he was now standing right next to her, glaring heatedly at the bully. “Don’t you see him?”

Sarah continued to laugh, holding the paper. “Weirdo! Weirdo! Weirdo!” she chanted, allowing everyone else to join. The other girl who had bullied her, Jenna started in, by pulling at Heathers blond hair. The teacher stood up from her chair, telling the kids to go back to their seats. Two boys started to fight, and so the teacher brought all of her attention to them, and not Sarah and Heather.

Heather stomped her foot, and grabbed Sarah’s arm, “I’m not a weirdo! He’s real and has blue hair! He brought a butterfly to life!” She motioned to his hair, afraid to touch it encase he disappeared. "Blue is my best friend, and he's nicer than you'll ever be!"

“Ok...? I don’t want to catch your weirdness!” Sarah pulled her arm out of Heathe's frantic grasp. How come she was the only one that could see Blue?

Before Heather could move back to her seat, Sarah roughly shoved Heather, throwing her off balance. Heather hit the tiled floor hard, letting out a painful yelp. She couldn’t help but burst into tears as she fell on elbow.

“Blue, help me!” Heather pleaded, clutching her bruised elbow.

Her blue haired friend knelt quickly by Heather, with worry in his eyes. "Heather, are you alright?!" 

"I'm fine," she sniffed, starting to get up on her feet with Blue's help. 

 “That’s what you get, Feather!” Sarah sang nastily, crossing her chubby arms over her chest.

Heather started to cry again, leaning her face into her friends strange clothing.

Craddling Heather's head against his chest, Blue’s face slowly went blank and his eyes lifted up to the bully as she continued to taunt. Sensing his sudden anger, Heather stepped back and watched as her friend's hair slowly materialized from an electric blue, to a vibrant red. It stood up at its end, defying gravity. And face turned into something completely different form the innocent boy and into a heartless, inhuman creature with sharp features and exotic eyes.

“You will pay, human,” he hissed, his eyes turning a bright white. Jagged, bright blue markings etched themselves onto his forehead, appearing out of his hairline as they snaked across his nose and under his glowing eyes . He put his hand up to Sarah, harsh words spitting out of his mouth.

" Sina onna mani re amin naia i' templa a' he langon ar' i' coia tuulo' he quenat" he chanted and as he did, Sarahs fingers found their way to her throat as she scrabbled at an invisible arm gasping for air,

“Can’t…breathe!” she cried, looking at Heather for help. Blue continued to chant, until Heather reached out to touch his arm.

 He instantly stopped, turned his head at her, and lowered his hand. Sarah was thrown backwards against the floor.  “I thought this was what you wanted?” he wondered, not quite understanding, "I thought you wanted my help?"

“We don’t hurt people,” she whispered, “and no matter how much we want to. We don't hurt people when they've hurt us first."

Blue turned to Sarah, clenched his jaw, and then returned his hard gaze to Heather’s. His beautiful face softened, and his hair turned back to its electric blue. He stared at her with his crystal blue eyes, obviously more confused than he had ever been.

“Heather!” Mrs. Tina, Heather’s Kindergarten teacher cried. She grabbed Heathers small arm, dragging her across the room, “we do not hit, or push anyone in this classroom! I’m going to call your Mother!"

Heather's full bottom lip wobbled and she began to cry. "But I didn't do anything! Blue did! He was just trying to protect me!"

“Who is Blue?” Mrs. Tina asked, looking around the classroom. "I don't remember having a student with that name."

Heather turned to point to where Blue no longer stood. Her eyes frantically moved along the room, “Blue?” she whispered, in need of her best friend. "Blue!" she cried out. She started to panick. Where was Blue?

Maybe he doesn't like me anymore, Heather suddenly thought to herself. When she realized that all of the other kids were pressed against the classroom away from her, Heather's little shoulders sagged in defeat.

The teacher sighed heavily, “Ok, let’s go Sweetheart,” Mrs. Tina said, and dejected, Heather let her drag her from the class room with a pout on her small face.

****************************************************************************

Her parents were not happy about this imaginary friend.

“He does not exist, Heather! You can’t blame him for your actions,” her Mom had said.

Heather smacked the table with her tiny fists, “He’s real!”

“You have to stop it with this ‘Blue’! No more, this is unacceptable. Tell him to go away, or else I will have to take something away from you, starting with Molly.”

“Molly?” Heather echoed.

“Yes, Molly will have to go if you continue this,” her Mum scolded, and left the room with a click of her heels.

Heather had cried and cried that day, that her Mum wouldn’t listen to her. Nobody listened to her. She knew he was real, he just had to be. How else did he pick up the crayon and draw, or watch movies with her?

After a while of thinking about the boy, she decided to wonder outside, with her doll, Molly. She went into the garage to take the box of colorful chalk in the corner, tucked Molly under her arm and attempted to lift the heavy container with her left arm. She heaved with all of her might, but ended up dragging it to the driveway. She was just ready to give up when a larger hand than hers lifted it for her.

Her head tilted up to the helper. It was a blue eyed boy.

“I got it, Heather,” Blue told her, with a bright smile. The way he said her name sounded as if he was cautiously pronouncing it so that it was right. He then carried it to the center of the driveway, and then took something out of his pocket. It was a see-through snowflake that seemed to change color in the light. “It will bring you good luck, and is practically indestructible, meaning it will not break. It would make me very happy if you wore it,” he told her, un-clasping the chain. She allowed him to attach it around her neck, until it dangled over her small blue dress.

She held the snowflake in her small fist, admiring its sparkling and strange glass appearance. “It looks like...it looks like….”

“Ice,” he finished for her, “It’s made of ice. But it will never melt. I wanted to give it to you since I met you.  I hope you like it.”

Heather felt like bursting into tears again, and found herself hugging the boy afraid that he would leave her. He didn’t know what to do at first, and just stood there, “I love it,” she choked out. She started to cry and explain what her Mum had told her. As he listened to the story, his body stiffened.

“I won’t leave you,” he promised, and wiped at the tears on her face. His hands were cold, making Heather shiver.

“But she will take away my Doll!”

“No she won’t. I won’t let her,” Blue assured her, and took Heather’s hand in his. He walked her inside the house and up the stairs to her room. “Stay here,” he told her, making sure she stayed on the bed. He turned and hurried out of the room, closing the door quietly.

Heather’s curiosity got the best of her, and she found herself opening the door into the hallway. “Blue?” she whispered.

Her Mums heels echoed up the stairs, “Heather? What do you want for diner, baby? I  got that macaroni you like from the market! I hope you aren’t mad at me.”

Heather spotted Blue behind the laundry hamper at the top of the staircase. His blue hair stuck up at his end, as her Mum continued to ascend the stairs. She was close to the top, with Blue moved around the hamper, in front of the staircase. The woman was steps away, when Heather knew something was wrong. “Blue! What are you—“

The scene played out in slow motion. He reached out with one hand, to shove the woman away from the top of the stairs. Heather’s eyes widened, as her Mum fell backwards and tumbled down the steps. Heather screamed and ran from her room, to help, only to see her Father already at her side. His eyes stayed glued to her unconscious Mother, asking her if she is ok. Heather hurried to get the phone, and gave it to her Father. He dialed the ambulance quickly, shaking his wife’s shoulders.

Heather’s gaze moved up the staircase, to see Blue standing there with a grin on his face. She stormed up the stairs, and it quickly disappeared. “Go away!” she screamed, “I don’t want to see you ever again!”

She tore the necklace off of her neck, and threw it at him. He caught it easily in his hand, his face in complete shock of her words. His chlorine eyes drifted to the necklace, and he fisted it in his hand.“But—“

“I want you to leave, please,” she cried, tears falling from her face. “Y-you’re not real!” 

His hair turned a deep blue, until it practically turned black. His eyes became sad, as he realized she was being completely serious. “Then I will leave,” he told her, his voice sounding further away.

Just like that he faded away, with a burst of blue light.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.3K 2.5K 62
Book 2 of The Color Series [This book is the sequel to Chasing Blue. It cannot be read as a stand-alone. Since this part contains spoilers, it is adv...
124K 3.8K 72
Losing someone is never easy. Especially if it's your best friend. Being in love with that someone though, makes it even more complicated. * Harry an...
226 3 19
A forest like no other, run by a species of eternal wolves and a 14 year old girl named Louvel. Years ago when Louvel was first discovered in what us...
2.2K 229 26
Wildfire. A story made from the creatures of this world. Or at least they think. Her heart is as dark as her black fur, but now she's running from th...