Unchaining Alice

By littleLo

James Alcott has always had a talent for charming women right into his bed, a talent that he has enjoyed, alo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6 - Photo of Alice
Chapter 7 - Photo of James
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 - Photo of Sarah
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Epilogue

Chapter 5

53.5K 2.5K 208
By littleLo

Chapter Five

“It’s impromptu, I know,” Sarah said as she crossed the threshold without being invited inside. “But as soon as I informed my parents they immediately started planning. Invitations are being sent out this morning and I decided that I would personally deliver yours. It is the beginning of the season so hopefully our closest acquaintances won’t have prior engagements …” Sarah prattled on but James zoned her out.

James immediately wished that he had thought things through properly when agreeing to marry Sarah. This meaning that agreeing actually meant marrying her.

“James,” she said expectantly. His head snapped up and he saw that she had carried on walking while he just stood there like a shocked fool.

“What?”

“I said ‘Are your parents in the dining room?’” she repeated herself.

“Oh, yes,” he nodded. Just when his mother was happy with him, Sarah had to arrive. He couldn’t get the thought around his head – his engagement ball. People were to gather to celebrate his engagement. What had he done?

He followed Sarah as she strutted confidently down to the Ethridge dining room. Not bothering to knock, she entered the room without waiting for a footman to announce her.

“Sarah?” Emilia said, startled as James came into the room after his fiancée.

“Good morning, Lord Ethridge, Lady Ethridge.” Sarah was bright and happy because she’d finally won what she wanted. “I come bearing an invitation to a ball. My parents aren’t sparing any expense so be sure to dress appropriately,” Sarah added as a subtle scathing comment to Emilia. The two had never got on. James had tired of defending his mother as Emilia more often than not shot a comment right back.

“It’s nice they’re spending some money on you finally, dear, we wouldn’t want you to have to keep wearing things like that,” Emilia said calmly, nodding to Sarah’s gown. It was a fine gown regardless though the neckline left little to the imagination. “It seems they can’t afford to finish the dress.” Emilia eyed her bust with a small smile.

Sarah glared at Emilia. “It’s supposed to look like this, your Ladyship,” she pouted.

“Oh, oh I see what you’re doing there,” Emilia grinned, winking, before returning to her breakfast.

Sebastian and Henry muffled their laughs while Sarah’s cheeks reddened. James just rolled his eyes.

“The ball is tonight at seven sharp. The invitation is extended to each one of your children, just ensure the dress code is upheld. James,” Sarah said, demanding his attention. “Walk me out.”

He was glad to. He almost wanted to have another drink but the headache was not worth it. He made Sarah a promise. He was many things but a man who broke his word was not one of them. He placed a hand on the small of Sarah’s back and moved her out of the room.

“I don’t like your mother,” Sarah hissed.

“She doesn’t like you,” James countered.

“People are always talking about how lovely and kind and graceful she is, and she’s just an old witch around me,” she complained.

“Watch it,” James said sharply. Subtle banter he didn’t mind, but he would not accept insults. “Not only is she my mother, but she is a Countess and she deserves and demands your respect.”

Sarah’s green eyes widened. He’d never spoken to her so harshly before. Instead of retorting, she plastered a fake smile on her face. “She doesn’t have to like me. Once we’re married she’ll just have to live with it.” They’d reached the door so James opened it for her. She stood up on her toes and planted a kiss on his cheek. “See you tonight, James. My parents don’t know about our arrangement so I’d like to keep it that way.” With that she took her leave and disappeared down the stairs toward her carriage.

Sarah didn’t want her parents knowing she was marrying for a title and not for love. Whenever he was dining at the Smiths he always had to pretend. He hadn’t minded until now. Now it was real.

He decided not to go back into the dining room, instead electing to go to his own bedchamber and lie down. The more he thought about being tied to Sarah for the rest of his life made him know that he was going to stray. There was absolutely no way he could grow to love someone who thought his beautiful mother an ‘old witch’.

Once in his bedchamber, he went straight over to the basin and poured fresh water into the bowl. He soaked up the water with a clean towel and then wrung it out. He laid it over his head as he lay down on the bed hoping it would get rid of his headache.

His mind wandered back to little Jacqueline. He’d never thought about a woman this much before. Never. He honestly didn’t remember many faces. But hers was burned in his mind. If she gave him a chance, he could see himself falling for her. That was something he’d never thought he could do. Love seemed a little out of his reach. It was his luck though. He’d been to balls since he and his twin, Kitty had both turned seventeen, and on the day he finally conceded to marry Sarah he’d met a woman who stirred feelings in him that he didn’t even know he had.

Alice was grateful when the reverend arrived to help her on the Monday morning. She’d managed to sit all the young ones down with their breakfast, consisting of a bowl of porridge, before putting them all in the room that she had converted into a schoolroom.

The reverend taught lessons as she wasn’t able to read English as well as she was able to speak it. If they wanted to learn French then she was ideal.

With the children all learning how to read and write the alphabet, she was able to quickly have some breakfast herself. She didn’t quite like the English breakfast food but it was simple to make in large quantities so she couldn’t turn her nose up at it. She’d imagine it was something like the pastries her mother liked to make whenever they had the money to buy the ingredients. It was a treat for her and Jacques. What she would give for a croissant for breakfast, just once.

When she’d finished her breakfast and the children had moved onto arithmetic, she went upstairs to start cleaning the bedrooms and to check on the infants.

She couldn’t believe how many babies were left at the orphanage. It broke her heart each time she opened the door to see a new child left there with no-one to care for it. She smiled and cooed over each of the babies as she changed and fed them, giving each one a little attention by cuddling them and singing French lullabies. The babies didn’t have names, so she liked to give them something to be known by. The children often helped name them, picking something that had to do with the day they were found. One of the babies was found on Christmas night, so she was known as ‘Christina’. Another of the boys was found wrapped in a sheep skin blanket and the older children had called him ‘Bart’ as it sounded like ‘Baa’. Adoptive parents often picked their own names, but it was nice for them to have something to be known by in the meantime.

Once all the babies were settled, Alice got back to cleaning. She stripped the beds and replaced them with clean sheets and blankets. She piled the dirty sheets into a woven basket and carried them downstairs so that she could wash them.

She set the sheets aside and went to the kitchens to start readying the children’s lunch. She sliced bread and made sandwiches using mutton. She made twenty sandwiches and cut them in fours and placed the finished product on their individual plates. It was noon once she was finished so she called the children from the schoolroom and they all gleefully ran to their plates.     

“I’ve got parents coming in the afternoon,” Joseph said to her happily as they watched the children eat their lunch. “A couple who can’t have children themselves, they want a little baby of their own.”

Alice smiled happily. “That’s wonderful. Perhaps they’ll even be tempted by one of the older children too.” They didn’t have any children older than eight. She didn’t want them to get too much older as the likelihood of their adoption was slimmer. Once they were eighteen they had to move on. The boys found work as labourers in the country and they girls sometimes ended up on the street. Alice wouldn’t let that happen to any of the girls who she cared for. “If you don’t mind my asking, why ‘aven’t you and Annie adopted?” They’d been married a number of years and only had their young daughter Amy. She was a gorgeous child, but Alice knew they wanted a sister or brother for her.

“We will eventually, I think,” Joseph sighed. “But Annie’s set on conceiving herself for the time being. It’s hard as her elder sister, Kitty, is having her third and she’s been married for a year and a half less than us. She’s just feels like there’s something wrong with her. I keep telling her she’s perfect but she doesn’t believe me.” He chuckled as he spoke the last part.

“You’re a good ‘usband, Joseph,” Alice said softly. “I’m sure you will be blessed with another child soon enough. Little Amy will ‘ave a frère or soeur one day.” No matter how many times she said Amy’s name it still came out of her mouth sounding like ‘Ah-mee’. Her English, she was sure, would not improve beyond what it was now.  

Joseph just smiled hopefully. He was a good father too. He doted on Amy. If they were not careful, she would grow up spoiled.

Both their heads turned when a knock sounded at the front door.

“I’ll answer it,” Joseph said. “Watch the children.”

Alice poked her head around the door of the dining room so that she had a view of who was visiting. Were the parents early? She hadn’t even gotten the children to put on their Sunday best yet.

Joseph answered the door and before him stood and older gentleman. He wore a fine servant’s livery, so he had to work in one of the fine homes about London.

“Mr Carter, what a surprise,” Joseph remarked. He knew the man. Perhaps he was a member of Joseph’s congregation. She might know him if she attended the English church but her faith was one thing she absolutely would retain from her former life. 

“Good day, Reverend,” Mr Carter replied. “But unfortunately I do not call on you. I’m seeking Mademoiselle Jacqueline.”

Alice peered at the man curiously. What on earth did he want with her? His hair was grey, turning white, and his skin was weathered though he had a kindly grandfather appearance to him.

“Oh, of course,” Joseph nodded, turning to see Alice walking toward them.

“Bonjour, Monsieur Carter,” Alice said timidly. “I am Jacqueline.”

Mr Carter smiled as her, looking like he’d accomplished something. He held out a fancy looking envelope to her. She’d never received mail before so this was quite exciting for her. After she’d moved past her initial excitement she fretted that it could be something telling her that she would be being escorted back to France for execution. 

“This is a letter from Master James Alcott, ma’am. He said it was of the utmost importance that I deliver it to you directly,” he said formally. Alice realised he must work in James’ house. She wondered how fancy it was if the servant’s dressed so finely.  

She read over the envelope and saw James’ neat script writing her name, or rather her pseudonym. “Merci,” she said gratefully.

As Mr Carter turned to leave, he was stopped by Annie and Amy arriving at the orphanage. Annie looked effortlessly lovely as she always did. Her dress was plain and practical, yet her subtle curves made the navy dress look elegant. Her golden hair was pulled back into a simple bun and her pale face made her brown eyes look wide and expressive. Annie held toddler Amy on her hip and beamed as she saw Mr Carter. “Mr Carter!” Annie exclaimed, throwing her spare arm around the neck of the old man.

Mr Carter chuckled heartily. “Hello, Lady Annie,” he said warmly. “How are you? And how are you, little princess?” he said, pinching the cheeks of the giggling Amy.

“I’m actually quite shocked, Mr Carter, did you hear about James?” Annie replied, pulling a missive from her pocket. She looked up to Joseph and held it up. “James is engaged. Mama just sent this telling us to dress up for an engagement ball at Sarah’s parents’ house. Can you believe this?” She was angry.

What Alice didn’t understand was her sudden unease at the thought of James marrying when he had spent the night in her bed a matter of hours ago. Was he engaged then? She felt like a terrible person, she might’ve ruined an engagement! That poor woman.

Joseph furrowed his eyebrows and seized the letter from Annie’s hands and quickly read over it.

“Yes, James and Sarah are engaged. Word below stairs is that Miss Smith pushed James into it,” Mr Carter said in a low voice, as if he were breaking some sort of rule by speaking out. “Your mother and father are not impressed.”

“I’d wager,” Joseph scoffed.

Alice had never seen Joseph sound critical of anyone before.

“Is Sarah not a lady?” Alice guessed. What other reason would they have for dismissing her? She was obviously patient enough to put up with James.

Annie rolled her eyes. “She’s not a ‘lady’ technically but she is a debutante. We just don’t like her because of her attitude. She possesses a rather odious personality.”

Alice nodded along, pretending to know what ‘odious’ meant. She didn’t know the French word for that. But by Annie’s tone of voice she deduced that the word meant something horrible.

“She sounds … ‘orrible,” Alice agreed.

Joseph and Annie nodded along so she presumed she made the right choice in words. “Anyway, I just came to tell you to be home in time to dress. And Jacqueline, do you think you could look after Amy while we’re out? We shan’t be later than midnight, I promise,” Annie asked desperately.

Alice nodded, smiling. “It would be my pleasure,” she replied. Alice liked Annie. She was incredibly sweet and kind woman who had taken the young fifteen year old under her wing and had fed and clothed her when no-one else cared.  

“Thank you, Jacqueline,” Annie said gratefully. “We’d better get home and fine a gown. Perhaps I’ll stop by Kitty’s and borrow something of hers … she always has something lovely to wear. I’ll see you tonight. It was lovely to see you, Mr Carter,” Annie chirped happily, placing a kiss on the old man’s wrinkled cheek. Annie turned away to return to their home that backed onto the church.

“I’d better return to Ethridge, too,” Mr Carter sighed. “The house does not function without me running it … don’t tell your mother-in-law I said that,” he said comically before he too turned away to return home.

“Goodbye, Mr Carter,” Joseph called after him.

Alice looked down at the envelope in her hands and ran her forefinger over the wax seal on the back.

“Why would James be sending you a letter?” Joseph asked her.

“I’ve no idea,” Alice replied honestly. She would have thought he would have made himself scarce after his drunken night on her bed.

“Go to your bedroom and read it, I’ll take care of the children,” he offered kindly.

She accepted his offer and walked down to the end of the hallway to her bedroom and closed the door behind her. Sitting down on her little bed, she broke the seal and pulled the letter from its confines. From between the pages, another piece of paper fell onto her lap. She picked it up and unfolded it. Alice gasped, practically fainting when she saw that it was a bank note valued at fifty pounds! Never had she seen so much money in her life! She was lucky to save a few pounds here and there, and that was a fortune for her.

Quickly, she opened the letter and read the words James had written.

Dear Jacqueline,

Please accept this money with my sincerest apologies.

It was completely inappropriate for me to come to you last night in my state but you showed how compassionate you are by helping me. You risked your reputation to help me and for that I am sorry.

This money is to help you. It will serve as a salary for you to hire someone to help you run the orphanage. Hire whomever you like – be it a cook or a housekeeper. Just allow yourself some time to relax. I can’t imagine that a matron would have much time to herself.

Know that my behaviour last night was completely out of character and I am not usually a drunken cad but nevertheless, I thank you for taking good care of me when you didn’t have to.

I reiterate, use this money to help you. You deserve relief.

Sincerely,

Your hopeful, future friend,

James Alcott. 

Alice frowned, setting the letter down on her lap. There were several words she did not understand but from what she could decipher, he was apologising to her by giving her a huge sum of money to hire another person to work at the orphanage.

She angrily set the note aside, feeling insulted. Did he think that all problems could be solved with money? Did he think that he could buy her? How typically aristocratic of him.

Alice was fuming. How stupid she was to even let him into her life, however little it was. Her parents and brother were laughing at her from heaven, she knew it. There was a reason that she was raised to hate them. They thought that money could buy them anything they wanted – including people.

Next chance she got she would return the money. Until then she would keep it safe. Fifty pounds was an outrageous amount of money. She decided on her pillow, stowing the note inside the pillowcase. If she ever saw James again, she would let him know how she felt about people using money to fix their dues. He clearly had no morals – he was engaged after all. No matter how horrid a fiancée she was, she was still a fiancée.    

 ---

So by the time I finished work the x-ray technician had gone home so I have to see if my wrist is broken tomorrow. But the doctor examined me and he reckons it's fractured - joy!

Anyways, broken bones or not, nothing holds me back :)

Hope you liked this chapter, vote and comment :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.2K 2.8K 31
you can see it on Amazon Kindle... In the heart of Victorian London lives a girl names Katherine Davis. She is the real life Cinderella yet she was d...
15.5K 840 21
In Regency England, young governess Violet is much to used to being on her own, with only her pupils at the Langley estate to keep her company. But w...
3.1K 132 20
"Stay away from me, don't talk to me except if it is about my son or about something very important. And lastly don't fall in love with me" he said "...
200K 9.2K 14
(COMPLETED) It's 1817 and there is nothing more a woman wants than to marry a rich man and live a life of comfort. But not Nancy Brooks. Having spe...