Beach Boys

Da Jjmintyfresh

One drab rainy day in the state of Washington, not to be mistaken for D.C., a girl named Avery arrives home i... Altro

Beach Boys
Sweater Weather
People Like Us

Life In Color

76 3 2
Da Jjmintyfresh

Hello and welcome to chapter two! I've been to the beach with my gal pals recently, so I've had extra inspiration :) I hope you enjoy this, cuz I enjoy writing it. By the way, Avery is so awkward, so so awkward. Aren't we all though? If you're a tumblr girl follow me @jjmintyfresh1d, I'll follow back. Okay I think that's all for now, oh and never take Chemistry over the summer... my brain feels like rice pudding or something unintelligent like that.

Comment

Vote

Love,

~Jjmintyfresh

Life In Color

Avery’s P.O.V.

I woke up with my eyes closed, unable to move them from all the makeup I had forgotten to take off the other day. Rubbing my eyes, I swung my legs out from the warm covers of the bed, and placed my feet on the surprisingly cool floor.

With a sigh I walked over to the conjoining bathroom and examined the damage. My hair was sticking out from all ends, my eyeliner had migrated everywhere making me look like a raccoon, and I was pretty sure I had morning breath.

As I began to comb my hair I thought back to the day before: soaring off to Los Angeles, becoming friends with Evan, getting thrown out of my so called apartment, realizing that I was hopelessly lost, finding Tom’s bookstore, meeting Zayn... I wonder if I’ll ever see him again. Wait, the book! Zayn said we could discuss the book when I’ve finished it. Quickly, I tried to calculate how long it would take to finish it. Fifty pages a day for five days will do it. But how long will it take me to read fifty pages? Two hours? Do I have that kind of time? I shook my head, trying to get this math out of my head. I’m on summer break for goodness sakes, why am I doing math?! I brushed my teeth and examined myself in the mirror one last time before getting dressed for the day.

I walked into the kitchen to find the amazing smell of fried eggs and bacon. Mmmmm. Turning to my left I was startled by the presence of a boy in an apron, cooking the food on the stovetop. His milk chocolate-colored hair was cut short, but had enough to push up in the front. The boy’s brown eyes gleamed with a sense of kindness, and he smiled warmly at me.

“How’d you sleep girl?” A girl’s voice, not belonging to the boy, sounded.

I turned my head to the right and found Evan sitting on top of the counter with plates and cups littered beside her.

“I don’t really remember,” I answered shyly.

Evan hopped off the counter and walked over to me to put her arm around my neck.

“Ain’t she just the cutest Liam?”

“She’s adorable Evan, I was worried for a moment that you picked up a hobo or something, but she seems very nice,” He said sarcastically, but smiled once again, flipping over some bacon.

“Told you!” Evan shouted, then turned her attention towards both Liam and me, “Avery, meet Liam.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Liam.”

“The pleasure is all mine.”

Evan rolled her eyes, “You two are too polite, goodness. This summer I’ll have to teach you guys how to be rowdy!”

Liam gave me a worried glance, and I shrugged, “She’s your girlfriend, shouldn’t you expect these sorts of things?”

“I never know what to expect.”

Evan leaned over to place a light kiss to Liam’s lips, “That’s right, I’m never boring.”

Now it was Liam’s turn to roll his eyes, “Come on girls, breakfast is ready.”

Once we were all settled around the island in the kitchen, with our amazing looking food might I add, Liam asked about what our plans were for the day.

“I say we go to the beach! It’s only footsteps away, and I can’t wait to take advantage of it!” Evan squealed.

“Sure, I haven’t been to the beach in the longest time, but whenever I go it’s too cold,” I admitted.

“Well, the water isn’t so warm, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it,” Liam informed.

“Ok, enough with the idle-chatter. Get in a bathing suit and some shorts, and lets go!” Evan ordered.

I blushed, “Evan, do you think I could borrow...”

“Where did you say you lived again?” She asked.

“Washington. Washington State not D.C...”

“Hopefully Cali will shed some light on the drab that is Washington State. Let me go get you a suit,” Evan commented as she sauntered over to what I assumed to be her room.

I was about to reply, but stopped myself. Just let her be.

I looked over to Liam for some advice, but he had his hands up in a ‘don’t involve me’ stature. With a sigh I followed Evan into her room.

After a lot of arguing, Evan got me into a simple navy blue bikini with white and yellow daisies. She also lent me some high-rise shorts to wear with the swimsuit, typical california wear I guess. I felt too exposed without my natural sweat though. Together, Liam, Evan and I assembled at the front door, sun-blocked down and our shades on the bridges of our noses.

“Let’s roll,” Liam began as he pushed his sunglasses up from the tip of his nose. Evan and I just scoffed at him as we made our way down to the beach.

            ~ ∞ ~

The warm sand beneath my toes was cooled by the crisp ocean breeze. The sun was shining and people were out and about. Beach umbrellas littered the sand, and girls in bikinis burned and tanned. Boys and girls were out in the water, some in shallow waters, others going far for the best wave.

Suddenly, Evan stopped in her tracts, a wide grin appeared on her face, “Anyone interested in yoga?”

Right in front of us, an elderly group was doing yoga so adorably. Evan, grabbed my hand and ran down the beach to meet them.

“Mind if we join in?” She brashly asked the instructor.

“Oh, of course.” The instructor smiled sweetly. I took a quick look at her, and she looked to be about my age.

“Ok everyone, breath into your downward dog.”

“OH YA, Woof!” Evan hollered as she stuck her ass in the air.

I tried so hard to hold in my laughter, as I followed the instructions.

“Deep breaths people.”

Evan panted comically.

I looked over at Liam who had stayed on the sand, he looked like he was going to burst out in laughter too.

“Ok, now lay on your backs and bicycle with me.”

“Are we racing?” Evan asked sweetly.

“No, just relaxing.”

“Okay, gotcha.”

By the time the class was over, Liam and I couldn’t breath. However, we had to compose ourselves when Evan brought over the yoga instructor.

“Liam, Avery, this is Willow.” Evan introduced.

“I was just thanking Evan for making the class much more interesting. The elderly are always worried about their backs or hips. It’s exhausting.”

Willow had beautiful brown hair and ombré tips. Her smile was contagious and her flowy blue pants moved as she walked. I want pants like that.

“How about we go get a snack?” Liam offered.

Evan nodded her head, “Willow, you are more then welcome to join us!”

“Ok!”

“Willow, how old are you?” I asked, my curiosity getting the best of me.

“I’m nineteen.”

“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but what is a nineteen-year-old doing as a yoga instructor?” Evan questioned.

“I’ve lived here all my life, and I know a lot of the older people in the area, so I’m just giving back. But, actually I work in a coffee house not too far from here as a part-time job this summer.” Willow replied openly.

“Oh cool, sorry for prying though.” I blushed embarassed by my rashness.

“I don’t mind.” She grinned.

Soon, we ended up walking into the most crowded section of the beach. In the center of it all was a mini beach café, kind of like a snack shack, but with tables and chairs.

“Welcome, what can I get you?” The waitress asked us as we sat down. We started to give her our orders, but she seemed dazed.

Willow tapped her shoulder, “Are you okay?”

“Oh yea! I’m sorry. It’s just those girls over there, they make me so mad.” She admitted clenching her fists.

“Why?” I asked.

“They think they run the place and everyone in it. They are the type who throw money around like it’s normal to buy a three hundred dollar swimsuit.”

I cringed, “That’s a lot of money.”

She nodded, and suddenly a girl in a lifeguard outfit came sprinting towards us,

“Mikkela, one Mountain Dew please.”

“Gotcha, but look whose coming your way.”

The girl turned around and behind her were the girls Mikkela had pointed out just a second ago. Both girls were blonde, and one girl wore a blue bikini while the other wore a black fringed one.

“You’re so lucky to work with Josh, too bad he’s not interested in you.” The girl with the blue bikini smirked wickedly.

The other blonde girl with the black bikini nodded her head quickly and obediently.

“Don’t you have something better to do Camryn?”

“Yea, I do,” she smiled, “Hey Josh! Come on Jade, let’s go work our magic.” The girl in the black bikini pranced after her.

The lifeguard girl rolled her eyes, “Bitches, the both of them.”

“Don’t I know it Bri.” Mikkela agreed.

Mikkela handed Bri her drink, “Pick me up in an hour or two and we can go downtown, okay?”

“Sure!” Bri yelled as she ran back to her post.

“Sorry about that, now what can I get you?”

After ordering, we stayed and chatted with Mikkela.

“So if you don’t mind me asking, what’s with the bimbos?” Evan asked nonchalantly.

“Well, Brianna and I have had grudges against them since grade school when they made fun of us. We kind of have a silent war going on. Not many people believe me though, those girls are on the A-list around here.”

“A-list?” I asked.

“Sorry for her lack of vocabulary, she is visiting from gloom and doom town.” Evan apologized as I nudged her.

Mikkela laughed, “A-list means very popular.”

“Oh, sorry.” I blushed.

I casually turned my head over to Willow, when I saw that she was waving over to someone. More like someones.

Three boys in wetsuits came closer to where we were standing on the beach. One with short black hair, another with feathery golden brown, and the last with dark curls. All walking beautifully with their surfboards.

 The boy with the curls ran up to hug Willow, “How’s my favorite girl?”

“Harry, I’m just fine. You’re squeezing me too tight.” Willow gasped.

The boys laughed as Harry let go and ruffled her hair.

“Hey guys these are my new friends. Harry, Calum, Louis, meet Mikkela, Avery, Evan and Liam.” Willow introduced.

I smiled at the three goofy boys who smiled back, “Nice to meet you all.”

~ ∞ ~

By the time we finished up with our beach fun, we all decided to head back to the house, along with our new friends.

“So, I picked up Avery from Johnny Rockets, and took her to our lovely summer abode.” Evan concluded as she finished off the tale of my adventure.

Louis sat down on the couch, “You said she was with someone?”

“I’m right here you know!” I shouted.

“Yea, some mystery boy.” Evan winked.

“Oh come on Evan, don’t say it like that!” I cringed.

“Well maybe we know the kid?” Harry suggested.

“Yea Avery, what was his name?” Evan pestered.

“Uh, um, err, his name was Zayn?” I babbled, and ended up saying it like I was asking a question. I’m so awkward...

Calum bent his eyebrows in thought, “I don’t know anyone named Zayn.”

“Me either.” Harry chimed in, and inside I gave a sigh of relief.

~ ∞ ~

I laid down on my bed, reading lamp on, and magnified glasses at the bridge of my nose. Ready to master this book, and dial cute boy’s number.

“Seventeen moons, seventeen years,

Eyes where Dark or Light appears,

Gold for yes and green for no,

Seventeen the last to know.”

~Beautiful Creatures.

I snapped the book shut and wiped the tears from my eyes. I have to call Zayn right now. I have to talk to someone about this book. Hurriedly, I flipped to the first page of the book, and dialed the number.

“Hello?” A groggy voice sounded on the other line of the phone.

“Zayn? It’s Avery.”

There was a slight pause before he spoke again, “Hey Avery, I’m happy that you called, but at three in the morning?”

I glanced at my clock, “Err, I wasn’t keeping track of time. I finished the book.”

“The verdict?”

“Is there a second book?!”

He laughed, “Meet me at the book store at around nine?”

I smiled, “Deal.”

Continua a leggere