Inferno Legacy: Loyalty of th...

By InfernoFrost

The enemy is weakened, leaving just enough time for Cody to learn about life in the pass, as well as its hist... More

Synopsis of "Inferno Legacy: Valor"
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Halfway Author's Note
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 29

490 48 5
By InfernoFrost

                Cody cried out in alarm as the scarlet assailant struck at Talon with the speed of a viper. The gryphon screeched, and a second later Cody felt himself get torn roughly from his perch on Talon's back by a hard paw. The unseated rider twisted around instinctively to face the attacker and gasped in surprise as the view hit him like a tidal wave.

The foe before him was a dark, stormy purple color. It's incredibly long, lean body was angled away from him, ready to defend its crimson ally, the narrow, pointed head turned almost perfectly on Cody so that the slit-pupiled eye could keep watch of him and plan its next attack. It stretched its wings upward to either intimidate Cody or protect the tall, cadaverous woman seated on a dark leather saddle on its back.

Cody took a moment to study the woman. Though her face and hair were hidden in a rusty, weathered helmet, he could tell much about her. She was obviously immensely weakened, perhaps by months of rough travel, though she handled the blade in her hand with obvious experience. A second later, however, Cody didn't have any more time to look.

The purple dragon (a male, Cody slowly pieced together) lunged at him suddenly, twisting in the air to offer his rider an opportunity. As the woman's short sword swept towards his neck—albeit with better speed and strength than he was expecting—Cody easily dodged. Using a trick that only a dragon rider could have learned, Cody used the swift upstroke of the dragon's wing to propel himself upward and around to the creature's hindquarters. He sympathized with the warriors, but, loyal to his duty, threw the rider from the saddle and drove his own sword deep into the dragon's flank.

The dragon roared in pain and twisted swiftly around to meet Cody, who slashed a line across its jaw before leaping from its back. He was suddenly assaulted by the rider, though he easily defended against her weak attacks. He paused to glance at talon. The red dragon was very young and Talon was doing well with it, so Cody resumed his fight with the others.

The purple dragon struck with surprising ferocity, considering its injuries. The woman swiftly mounted again and the pair charged at him again. This time the dragon refused to underestimate him and swiftly pinned Cody to the ground. Its jaw opened and it hissed in Cody's face. Even through his helmet he could smell the vile stench of melted carrion on the beast's breath. It bled heavily from the scratch just below its eye, the dark liquid splashing against Cody's chest and seeping through his armor to coat his skin with the warm, sticky blood.

A murderous roar sounded just above, loud enough to make the purple dragon wince in pain.

Inferno fell through the trees, ripping entire trunks to pieces with the force of his landing. Off to the side, Cody saw mournful and her gryphon race to help Cody's gryphon fight the red dragon. He had just enough time to theorize that they were alone because they didn't have time to reach the others. He hoped that someone would notice their absence.

Finally Inferno was fully within view, his long, muscular body trembling with rage and his eyes blazing like sheets of deadly frost. He stretched his wings out wide and blew smoke in the purple dragon's face.

"Inferno!?" The woman gasped loudly in an unrecognizable, strained voice, nearly falling out of her saddle. Her dragon jerked back suddenly, as if Cody were a puddle of acid.

Cody stood slowly and backed away from the purple dragon, and noticed that the red had also stopped and retreated behind the purple, perhaps to get a view of Inferno, who seemed uncomfortable after being fully prepared to kill all of them. They were all frozen for several long moments, silent as death. The purple dragon crouched low to the ground and whimpered, an evident reaction to something in his rider's thoughts.

Then suddenly the rider ripped her helmet off, revealing a gaunt face full of emotion and long blond hair streaked with purple. Her pale blue eyes were focused on Cody, as if seeing him for the first time. Cody felt his whole body freeze in such an extreme mix of terror and joy that he feared he would never be able to move again.

Then Pippi dismounted slowly, shoving her sword jerkily back into a sheath at her waist. "Cody?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper of breath.

In response Cody pulled his helmet off and stood carefully, leaning against Inferno's foreleg for support. Pippi seemed to register that it was truly him and her eyes grew even wider in her shock, and Cody knew that he mirrored her expression perfectly. Before he had time to react, the elf threw herself at him in a fierce embrace.

Cody squeezed his eyes shut and hugged her back just as fiercely, overwhelmed at the sudden appearance of a friend, when he had resigned himself to the fact that he would probably never see anyone he had known before again. After several moments, which seemed all too brief, she pulled reluctantly away. Cody suddenly remembered what had happened.

"You're...a dragon rider?"

Pipi seemed to remember for the first time as well as she glanced awkwardly at the purple dragon. "Um, yes, this is Thunder. And the red dragon over there is Rose, companion of Rebecca. You met Rebecca before, at the human town."

In response, a young girl about 12 years old with a freckled face and russet hair stepped out from behind a tree. Though it hadn't been that long ago that Cody had seen her, he noticed that she looked very different, no doubt the effects of being a dragon rider. She was quite a bit taller, her face taking more of the angularity of a grown woman's. Last he had seen her hair was dark brown, but now it was somewhat lighter and took on a reddish color instead, starting to evolve to be more like her dragon's scales. Instead of 12, she appeared overall to be a woman of 14 years or so, though as a rider she would never look any older. Beside her was a short but incredibly beefy wyvern, rusty brown in color.

"Oh and that's Dust Rust, his rider is a dwarf named Heddok," Pippi said.

"But what are you all doing here?" Cody asked in amazement. "Why would three dragons and their riders be wandering aimlessly so far from where you should be?"

"Where we should be..." Pippi said mournfully, looking off into the sky in silence, seemingly forgetting that he had asked a question until the sound of Inferno scratching the ground brought her attention back. "It's not just six of us...we can take you to our camp if you like, as I tell our story?"

"Mournful is leaving to bring the others of our patrol. They should all be here in a while," Inferno told Cody.

Cody pretended to ignore him, but sent a flicker of acknowledging thought to him as he nodded for Pippi to lead the way.

The elf eagerly took the lead, the others following after Inferno, as she began the story. "It was a while ago, I don't evil recall how long, but a short while after you left that the queen's second-in-command, Fril, if you recall, had a dragon hatch for her. Our people rejoiced at the first elven rider in centuries, and finally there was a rider from each race. But as time went on we saw less and less of Greenscales. That is Fril and Venom, as her dragon was named. Within a week every time she came to us it was with Micah, to bring dozens of us to the Cave of Hordes to see if a dragon would hatch for us. Rebecca snuck up there by herself when she was told she was too young to go, and so had Rose hatch for her.

"Rebecca kept Rose a secret. Not intentionally, but she didn't see the need to announce her birth to the world. Then Whitescales, that is Autumn and Micah, found out. None but the four know exactly what happened, but it is believed that Whitescales was full of rage that a new rider was kept secret. Redscales was taken away and no one saw them for a much longer time. Since then, in my visit to the Cave, Thunder hatched for me and we trained many hours every day with Whitescales, never seeing any of the others. Then Rebecca came to our cave, bloodied and bruised from head to toe.

"'You need to help Rose,' Rebecca begged us. 'Micah and Autumn imprisoned us, and she is still bound in chains with Argos.'

"We rushed immediately to Argos and Heyrone's cave to find the she was right. Rose was chained to the wall, equally as abused as Rebecca. Argos was slightly different, however, as he appeared to be immensely sick, and Heyrone too. They would not even wake to our prodding, though they were alive. We knew then what Whitescales had done, though we never understood why. Needless to say we freed Rose and the four of us fled the cave. But alas, we'd nowhere to go but our own cave, where Micah quickly found us. We were all beaten for helping Rose, and Rose especially for escaping, and we were all chained to the wall beside Argos. Fril and Venom were empathetic, but more so clever. They pretended to be loyal followers to Whitescales' cause, whatever it was, until they were cared for a bit more loosely. Any of their free time not spent caring for us, was spent creating a band of people that were obviously against the new rule.

"On the day we left, Fril snuck off to free us as Venom gathered together our band of renegades, in which Dust Rust and Heddok were included, the second rider-dragon pair to escape Whitescale's notice for a time. We took off faster than anyone would have thought possible, desperate to escape. Fril and Venom managed to keep the dictators at bay just long enough for us to reach the forest opposite the lake, where Whitescales didn't have the resources necessary to track us down and destroy us. We've been on the run ever since."

Cody was silent for a long while, stealing a look at Rose and Rebecca and noticed for the first time the raised scars on Rebecca's face and the bare patches all across Rose's body where the scales had been torn off by abuse. Pippi and Thunder weren't without scars either, and Cody felt suddenly guilty for what he'd done to the purple dragon.

"So Fril and her dragon..."

"Are still in the clutches of Autumn and Micah," Pippi finished with a shudder. " I can't even bare to think of what has been done to Argos and Heyrone that they should be like that, and I don't think I could live with myself if I knew what had been done to Greenscales. Whether they are killed, or given the same drug as Bluescales, I dare not wonder."

"But what of you, Blackscales?" A sonorous voice echoed in Cody and Inferno's heads. "We dragons have been told that you battled the great Fire's Bane, as we've since called Micah. We all thought you dead, or at least long gone into the realm of Semiones."

Cody recognized Thunder as the one who spoke and answered aloud," Inferno and I teleported us all to the land beyond the lake, though it appeared that we had gone to Semiones, at least enough to satisfy Whitescales, we hoped. Our friend Mournful helped to care for Inferno somewhat until we happened across her people-"

"Mournful's people? Who are they?" Pippi asked in sudden surprise.

"They fancy themselves the Dreamkeepers of the Mountain Pass, a race of people as ancient as dragon's themselves," Inferno answered in his deep, resonant voice. "We have since joined them, and they have brought me back to my full health and have assisted in training us dragons and riders by the ancient ways, immensely unlike that of Bluescales's training."

Pippi's eyes were alight with hope Cody noticed worriedly, just before she asked, "Do you think they would offer us shelter and the same care and training? We have been on the run for what feels like years, and I daresay none of us will last a week longer if we are forced to remain out here."

"They are a very cautious people," Cody said regretfully, refusing to meet her gaze. "It took a long while for us to earn their trust, and I daresay we still haven't fully earned it."

Pippi paused in her step just before a short but thick band of trees to look at Thunder, and a flicker of concern crossed her features. With a sigh she led the way past the trees and announced, "This is our company of refugees."

Cody looked out in surprise at the thousands of men, women, and children of every race camped together in the tiny clearing, many smaller collections of friends and families scattered deeply in the forest for a mile or more. Just as surprising was the presence of dozens of wargs and wargals, the legendary mounts of loyal warriors who served dragon riders. As Cody looked he saw three of the giant wolves pulling a cart full of supplies across the camp, the poor creatures even more gaunt and morose-looking than the dragons and riders. Everyone in the camp looked no more than walking skeletons, less animated than skeletars for their appearance. A few of the wargs were currently being ridden, the few scouts the camp could spare in defense of the company.

"What terrible things this...Fire's Bane has done to these people. Our people, his people...a true and grave tragedy," Inferno told Cody solemnly.

"Why are there so many wolf-riders?" Cody asked in surprise.

Pippi looked at him curiously for a moment before the answer seemed to come suddenly to her. "Of course, you were gone...it was only three days after you left that Whitescales began forcing warriors into Semiones to capture the wolves, thanks to Autumn's memory of their territory. They slaughtered the leader and brought all of the wolves to Mrana Akano Furista. Those who found their riders...it would be a lie to say that they regretted it happened, but those that haven't are horribly bitter at the loss of their home, and it is of course a terrible memory to the others. And there are hundreds of wolf-riders under Whitescales' rule, forced to swear allegiance. And, of course, the magic that bonds wolves to dragons is binding. These are the few that escaped notice or fled as soon as they found their companions. A week after we left we still got a few last-minute arrivals."

A moment later, a loud shriek from above announced the presence of the rest of the patrol. Three gryphons passed overhead, and the whole camp was thrown into chaos. The wolves that were pulling the cart bolted for the cover of the trees, dashing their precious load against a tree trunk and destroying all that they carried. Young children and grown men alike screamed in terror as the great beasts passed overhead and swooped around the clearing. By the time they landed, there was nothing left in the camp but a stray cat that had been trampled by countless frenzied feet in the chaos and a few scattered dishes and strips of clothing or shelter. Thunder gave a low hiss, the draconic equivalent of a sigh, as he went evidently to go restore order to the frightened refugees.

Cody and Inferno went out to meet the others, and soon noticed that even the ground patrol had been summoned. Goldscales, Omen, and Ashheart were all present with the king, Prowess, and Mournful, while others in the patrol continued to appear one by one. Thunder's work soon brought the humans, elves, dwarves and wolves to stand at the edge of the clearing as well, until the tension in the air tempted Cody and Inferno into bolting for the open sky. Yet they remained put as King Willful dismounted.

"So, would someone please explain to me why there are so many new arrivals in our territory?" The king asked no one in particular.

Inferno bowed his head low before answering, "It is evident that the same dragon and rider that has cursed my companions to leave his realm has also passed its influence unto these people. They have wandered a long while to escape its wrath, and never intended to alarm us, Your Majesty."

Willful focused his cold, eagle eyes on Inferno and asked, "What would you have me do with them?"

To this Pippi answered, "King of the Dreamkeeper people, we beg for food, and shelter from this dangerous realm." At the end of her request she gave a very low bow.

The king barely seemed to acknowledge that she existed as he stated, "We can't afford to house so many, let alone feed them. Instead you shall leave this territory and never return, else you want a quick and painless death. Or death at least, though it may not be so painless."

Out of nowhere the king was struck, and collapsed on the ground, clutching his jaw. His nostrils flared as he glared up at the offender.

Mournful.

In a split second everyone raced out of the clearing, besides Mournful, as King Willful roared in fury. His arms jerked outwards roughly and his hair raced down his spine, some of the strands melding into single follicles that lengthened. Within seconds the king had doubled in size as his body became coated in thick golden-brown feathers, his roar turning into a shrill screech. Mournful backed up a step as she hunched over, her salt-and-pepper hair spreading over her own body quickly. Her arms lengthened into legs with viciously sharp talons as wings sprouted suddenly from her back and a long, feathered tail folded out behind her. The king, a massive golden eagle, lunged for Mournful, the gryphon, his talons reaching for her throat.

Mournful dodged to the side with a flap of her wings, but Willful was just as quick and snagged her right wing with his vice-like beak. She gave a raptor's croaking cry before turning on the king and raking her own talons along his back. His shriek of agony raised the hair on Cody's arms.

King Willful twisted around and clipped her jaw with his wing, but she retaliated with a sudden bite to the base of his neck, ripping a dozen feathers out of the skin. His fury was practically palpable as it finally settled on the audience. He flew at Mournful and raked his talons across her chest, quickly staining her bright white fur and feathers red. He flew around and grabbed her back with his talons, tearing out ribbons of flesh and fur before she could react. With a final shriek she twisted around and grabbed his neck. Thus pinning him down, she drew her back paw forward and drew a deep gash in his chest with her claws, making blood pulse from the wound.

The king coughed up blood as he tried to cry out. A second later his feathers melted away to show the man again, his clothes torn to pieces and blood still pulsing out of his chest and the back of his neck. Mournful also shifted back into her human form, looking equally disheveled and in pain. Yet she continued to press on Willful's neck, staring into his horrified eyes.

"I have just as much right to the throne as you," she spat in his face. "You would turn all these people out, when we could easily give them shelter in the neighboring mountain, and we have dozens of warriors to assist in hunting for them?"

The king sneered, "Those filthy dragons and their riders have betrayed us. This is an army, come to kill us."

"I'm the first-born of our last king. I have more right to command than you, who are royalty by marriage to the second-eldest. We will bring these people to Blissful and she will decide. That is the best I can give to you."

"Prowess," the king choked past the blood in his throat.

Mournful jerked around in shock as the one she loved charged at her, regret buried deep beneath the burning rage and searing loyalty to his king, shining in his eyes. She had only enough time to hold up her arm as his sword came crashing down.

Before he could second-guess himself, Cody dove in front of the blow, trying desperately to raise his sword fast enough to deflect it.

AVlZ

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

556K 23.5K 56
Willow's had to fight to get to where she is now. She doesn't need anyone telling her what to do or how to do it. Her life is perfect the way it is...
242 19 8
The kingdom of Istamid is under the tyrannical rule of dragons, but there are still places where the dragons' presence isn't felt so strongly. One su...
78.2K 4.6K 53
(#12 in Necromancer)Cody has heard all the stories, read all the myths, and knows everything about his world, Semiones. Or does he? When he finds a...
122 21 12
In the millennia since the War for Heaven, all has been quiet that is until a new threat had emerged. The Drakes, a new powerful enemy that is even m...