Protection

bookwormprincess tarafından

Alayna Bordreaux was a testament to one of the bloodiest revolutions of all time- the French Revolution. She... Daha Fazla

Protection (Complete)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Note To My Readers
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Epilogue

Chapter Thirteen

900 23 3
bookwormprincess tarafından

"The elusive Madam'selle Bordreaux," Sterling said, flourishing showily, and kissing her small gloved hand. "Its a pleasure to finally meet you." He grinned rakishly at Alex. "You didn't quite describe her beauty to the right degree."

  "Good evening," she answered generously, her eyes glittering.

Alex clamped down on his teeth.

"Isn't she just lovely, Alex? You've been holding out on me, man!"

Alayna blushed.

"You flatter me, sir," she said.

"Ah, but flattery is insincere, as well as dangerous. And rest assured, I mean the things I say."

Alex felt that Sterling was laying it on a bit thick, but then again, Alayna seemed to enjoy his attentions. He wondered if she knew Sterling's true intentions- a bit of flirtacious debauchery. Surely she wasn't so naive as all that.

  "Allow me?" With a flash of his bright blue eyes, he offered her his arm. And so innocently, and seeming taken by the devilish smile, Alayna took it. How she glittered and sparkled and shined.

   A pang of envy stabbed at his stomach. She never looked at him like that.In fact, he didn't think he had ever seen her as happy.

   Alex snorted, and accredited her light to pride.

Vanity. It had to be vanity. She never got such attention like that from from him. He silently wagered to himself that if he paid such attention to her, she would warm up to him like a kitten to the milk maid- the way she had to Sterling. He guessed it was just his friend's personality. Women just flocked to him. Probably because he had a lot more charm, and tolerance for their bloody stupidities and frivolities. He had no use for their infernal poppycock.

   Though he seemed to tolerate Alayna's frivolities. The pup. Her insistence to take her old bed spread- and he smiled, following them.

  Every eye wandered after the three of them. Women spoke behind their fans, about the competition. Sterling Thompson was a coveted bachelor, and the sight of him taking to a strange French women angered every mother and eligible young lady.

  "Alex! Alex!"

He stopped, and looked for the source of noise.

There it came, walking quickly on tiny slippered feet, taffetta skirts rustling, silvery blonde curls bouncing.

   "Louisa, how nice to see you."

He cringed. Louisa.

"Its been ages since I saw you, dear." She smiled, her ice blue eyes gleaming.

"It has been quite a time, hasn't it?" He took her hand, pressing his lips to it.She giggled.

"Come, darling, walk with me for a moment," she pleaded, and took his arm. "There are so many things you must know about."

He nodded.

"I wish that Henry was here. He would so love a good long talk with you. But poor darling, he's home with Alise. She's six now, and they both have colds." She laughed in a loud, shrill voice. "I wager I should have stayed with them, but you know what a heartless beast I am. How have things been with you?"

  Her eyes searched his.

"Of late, Louisa, things have been mad," he sighed, and watched her expression change.

"We heard about your father- and every one is terribly sorry about it. But I suppose that isn't the source of the madness?" She was implying Alayna.

  "Not generally."

"Is it, your-er- cousin? Alayna, I believe I have heard her called?"

"Yes. She's my...distant cousin, by marriage- a drawn out and rather taxing story, I assure you. But yes, Alayna." He felt bad decieving Louisa, but he knew he had to be careful what he said. Even the walls had ears in London.

  "She reminds me of Julia," she said, at random. Seeing his pained look, she added, "I mean, in the manner she carries herself. So elegant and...bubbly at the same time."

  "I'm afraid bubbly isn't quite in her vocabulary."

"No? She seems so kind and friendly and sweet." Louisa crinkled up the ends of her eyes. "I didn't mean to upset you, about Julia. But her birthday was yesterday- and, well, I've just been thinking about her."

  He hadn't even thought about her. Yesterday? He visited the cemetery every year with roses- those precious roses- those rare roses in the dead of winter.

   "I've attempted to close it from my mind," he said stiffly, a lump forming in his throat.

"We miss her terribly. I can't believe its been so long."

They were silent.

 Louisa broke the silence first. "I would love if you might introduce your cousin to me, Alex. Bubbly or not," she joked, "she seems like a pretty character. I think Sterling is in love with her."

  "If I see you afterward, Lou, I vow to introduce you to her. She might be tired, listening to Sterling's babblings," they both laughed, "and this play. She's actually quite shy."

   "You really must be joking. She seems so warm and inviting!"

That time, he did snort.

"Believe me, Louisa, she's extremely difficult to live with."

Alayna smiled timidly as she watched Sterling search for the glove she had dropped. He really was a dear. He was kind and sensitive. She supposed it was the way he carried himself. Self-assured, that was, without being cocky and arrogant and rude.

    "Here you are, my lady," he said, eyes gleaming mischeviously, and pressed the glove into her hand.

   "Thank you so much," she whispered. Then they turned and watched the play.

The love scene was tender. It stirred familiar feelings in her chest...sensations she hadn't felt in such a very long time.

   That desperation. The need to live.

"Such fine work, yes?"

There he was, at her side. He smiled gently, his hand brushing her shoulder carefully, properly. He smiled down at her like a green young boy in love.

   "The writer has...immense talent. And emotion," she replied.

"Would you care to meet him?"

"Meet him? Who is he?"

"A fellow named Reginald Harland."

 Alex cleared his throat.

"Oh, lighten up, man. I'm trying to open your cousin up to fine society."

She smiled.

Alex huffed. "Fine society can wait until the end of the play, Sterling. Besides, I believe she's had enough fine society this evening."

  His biting tone made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. He even treated his friends in that manner?

  She could only imagine the way he treated his enemies.

You are one of his enemies, you stupid fool.

"...enjoys my conversation, don't you?" Sterling asked.

"I find it quite refreshing from dull parlor ramblings," she said primly.

"Refreshing conversation is meant for Vauxhall, if you would appease me by silencing yourselves," Alex snapped.

  What was the matter with him? He was always a bit on the rough side, but he was being pathetically rude. He embarrassed her!

   She looked down, and began to feign a search.

"Oh, dear."

"Have you lost something else?" Sterling was at her side again. If she could get him to leave for a moment, she could ask Alex if someone had poured bitter tonic in his tea. His impertinence was unbearable.

   "I'm afraid so," she sighed, hoping to sound kittenish. "I believe I dropped my fan in the coridoor."

 "Allow me to retrieve it."

He rose and strode out before she could answer. When the door to the box clicked, she snapped towards Alex in her seat.

   "I would be much obliged if you would tell me what your issue is. You've been a swine this entire evening-"

   "You sent the poor man on a hunt for your bloody fan."

"That has nothing to do with this. What? Are you fearful I shall play his heart strings?"

  "Your fan is in your lap."

"Stop with the fan! That doesn't matter! You've been horrid this whole evening, Alex, and its rather embar-"

 She stopped when she heard gunfire.

Alex stared at her.

 "What happened? Wh-"

"Stay here," he growled.

Her heart thundered.

"Don't leave me in here!" she cried.

Her blood roared through her temples like white capped waves. She felt sick to her stomach and she knew she would be sick if he left her alone.

  Alex observed her trembling.

"Alex, please don't leave me in here." And she began to cry. He knew that she was really afraid then.

   He was torn between his reason and his emotion. She snapped at him one moment and was vexingly independent, then the next, she began to weep with fear and she needed him. She changed her mind every moment and it drove him crazy.

   Before he knew it, there she was, buried in his arms, crying her eyes out. He felt her tears seep through his clothing, and dampen the skin on his chest. She shook violently.

  Oh...why did she have to do that to him? Someone could be hurt. He could be helping someone in need, but then she had to cry and throw herself at him.

   "I'm so afraid," she cried.

And she looked up at him, her lashes wet and spikey. It was then that he became aware of how close she was to him. He felt her heart rate rise. He felt it pounding against her chest, and the entire world fell away. All the colors he had ever known faded into black, except the color of her eyes. Everything fuzzed except that face. Without thinking, Alex tilted his head. And she lifted her face up.

   A lone tear ran down her cheek. He could smell her perfume, and her hair and he saw a small, faint scar on her cheek, over her cheekbone, and he saw the speckles of blue in her eyes. He felt the fabric of her dress. His senses were heightened- all because of her.

   His heart began to pound, and he felt the way he had with Julia. Young and fresh and incredibly bewildered by a woman.

   Her sharp inhale made him smile.

Her lips were soft underneath his, and silky in their manner of movement. She was gentle and unsure. But she was aware of what she was doing. He knew that, as he wrapped his arm closer around her waist, and as she drew tighter.

Her arms betrayed her, and amorously curled up around his neck.

Alex pulled his arms around her closer, farther into his warm embrace. Oh, she knew she was wicked, but she didn't care. It was lovely to be kissed. The entire universe slid sideways. The sounds around them became louder, but Alayna was distracted by the beating of her heart. Faster and faster. Like her chest would snap in two. Fear thrilled down her spine and her legs, but she didn't care. She didn't care about anything.

    He shoved her away violently.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

1.3M 27.9K 59
[COMPLETED] _____________________________________________ "You're worth more than a fucking deal, Amara." __________________________________________...
63 19 9
When a rich girl tries to escape from her controlling family and soon to be husband, she goes undercover as an average girl to not draw any eyes. But...
1.2M 96.3K 49
In Belcourt, they rear weapons no man can contend with: women. Sasha was never meant to be in the Court of Flowers, one of the most sought-after cour...
12.2K 320 34
'Don't Mess with the Dress...' *** For twelve years, Arianne d'Artagnan has been in the midst of the English Civil War and after disaster struck, she...