Memories of Azura

By CarnelianCrownedLady

When a simple popularity bulletin becomes a murder list, an ex Queen Bee becomes the heroin she never thought... More

Prologue
The Human
The Proposal
Sneaky Paparazzi's Discovery
Status Quo
Body Found
Interrogation
Undercover Under Cover
The murder List
Stabbed
The Infirmary
Crowned Heads
The Fortune Teller
His Siblings
Treasure in the Treasury
Things I shouldn't have Done
The Blood Vampires' Arrival
Troy of Druada
Beneath the Mandrakes
Lies
Crown Princess of Rosso
Surprises, Secrets and Threats
Absence of Leverage
Safe (Bloody/ Gory Scenes- Not for Children)
The Run
Fragments
Confessions of a Serial Killer
Unaccountable Evidences & Unknown Living Proofs
My Sacrifice

Waiting

313 17 5
By CarnelianCrownedLady

Chapter 15: Waiting

11:00 PM

I paced back and forth around the room impatiently waiting for his arrival.

You know the feeling when you’re looking for something and you don’t know where to look? Helpless; that’s how it felt. I just wanna jump outside the castle and ask around but I kept in mind what Caleb said when I asked when his brother is coming home. “Maybe late this evening,”

This is late evening. And I obviously am worried.

I shook off the thoughts of Reece, meeting the Psycho gypsy on his way home. I wonder what the reason behind his anger of Reece is.

A knock on the door brought me back into my senses as I hurriedly flew towards it. I clasped the cold silver knob, thanking God the he’s already home.

“Your highness, the Crown prince has not yet returned.” A servant informed. My heart constricted with fear and worry but I managed not to let them reach my face.

“Thank you Ebony. You’re now dismissed.” My voice cracked, making her look at me with eminent worry. I watched her disappear through the corridors as I decided to inform Caleb.

“Whoa!” He exclaimed the instant he swung the door open with my desperate blows called knocking. His shocked expression reminded me of what I was wearing- my new set of lacey underwear, a see-through robe and nothing else. I haven’t even thought of changing into one of Reece’s shirts and pajamas.

“He’s not home yet.” I have no idea why was I in the verge of freaking out. The truth is I already am freaking out since eight o’clock. I paced in front of his door.

“Will you calm down? Are you out of your mind, walking in the hallway with just that?” He regarded my clothes with disgust. I don’t care. I’m worried. I started biting my fingernails.

“Get in. I’m sure Clarissa’s clothes would fit you.” I got in, and he closed the door behind me.

“He’s not home yet.” I repeated, now with a cracking voice as I watched him open a closet and fish a pair of neatly folded night gown.

“I’m sure he’s on his way.” He sure isn’t as worried as I am. The night gown smells of old wood, mothballs and faint rose perfume. It smells like my grandmother. I meant that in a good way. I wonder if it’s made of thick cotton or just very thin and wool. It’s kind of warm, making me feel cozy as I draped its long length over my shoulders instead of wearing it. It somehow distracted me from worrying about Reece’s late arrival.

“You said he’ll be home late. This is late.” I finally voiced out the thoughts that has been haunting me three hours ago.

“What time exactly is late for you? Because late for me is past midnight.” He said as he pulled out a chair for me from behind a coffee table. I sat. The cold from the marble floor was slowly making itself recognized. I curled up in the chair, thinking about… I don’t know… Reece?

“Are you sure he’s on his way?” I asked, even though he just said he was.

“What in the skies of Azura are you worried about?” He asked, assessing my actions as unreasonable.

“Someone wants to hurt him.” I murmured.

“It’s normal to have issues outside the boarder, despite the fact that the Treaty of Peace still stands from 1720 to today. But I assure you Lucy, none of the kingdoms will ever dare to break that.” He said in a-matter-of- fact way.

“But it wasn’t from the other kingdoms!” I spat.

“Then who? And how did you become aware of these? Were you in any form threatened? Because I as your future brother in law will not let this pass.” He was serious, but I’m taking his last statement as a joke.

“I don’t know who exactly. I met him outside the boarders when I came with the Queen for her fortune telling.”

“A Dreamscape Nomad? What did he say to you?” He sounds utterly worried, not just for Reece, but for me as well. So they’re not Gypsies. They’re Dreamscape Nomads. What exactly are they?

“He said something about seeing Reece at the ball and he’s not going to hurt him if Reece gives him … what he wants.” I stuttered and winced in disgust with the thought of his breath on my face and his hands on my waist.

“Good Lord, he wants you.” Caleb’s brows furrowed in eminent anger. “This man. Does he have long hair and tanned skin?” He seemed to already know the answer. I nodded.

“Do you remember the crazy bitch I told you about? The one obsessed with Reece.” He asked. Why is she even involved in this? I hated remembering but either way, I nodded.

“She left her Dreamscape lover to follow Reece to the outside world. He became even more furious about Reece when news came that the bitch was dead. Everyone thought Reece did it but then it was proved to be suicide. The same guy, who threatened you, is her lover.” He said.

“So this is some kind of Vengeance themed threat?” I wanted to sound like I didn’t care. Thoughts of me, getting hurt- I can handle. Thoughts of Reece, getting hurt- no can do. Not him.

“He’s just one man, Lucy. Two great curtain walls separate us from them. Three even if we’ll include the inner curtain wall. We have one hundred castle guards scattered in the outer bailey, fifty in the inner bailey and seven hundred archers lined in the walkway and positioned on each merlon. Not to mention a thousand roaming the citadel and the boarders. No one has ever sneaked inside the castle. You. Are. Safe.” He sounded so passionate talking about his ‘Azurian Armada’ whatever.

“Inside the castle, I am. But what about Reece? He’s traveling outside the boarders; alone.”

“He’s not alone. Crown heads never travel alone. He brought guards with him. He’ll be in the citadel by now” He messed up my hair like some kid being told that her mother’s going to be home soon.

“Go back to your room.”

*

“What in the skies of Azura is taking that guy so long?” I smiled at the thought of Caleb’s expression as I paced back and forth in my room; a smile that instantly faded away when I looked at the clock.

12:15 AM

I’ve combed my hair eighteen times, tried to sleep for four times, as I kept on opening and slamming the door close for countless times.

He may be on the outer bailey by now.

He may be on the inner gatehouse by now.

He may be on the inner bailey by now.

He may be entering the keep by now.

He may be walking in the hallway by now.

He may be standing outside the door by now.

With that thought, I ran to the door and opened it for the hundredth time since eight o’clock; seeing nothing. I sighed again.

But before I could slam it close, I saw him. Him and his perfect everything, standing before me.

“Reece!” I squealed, throwing myself to him. “You’re back!”

“Hey, I see you’re still awake.” He said as I broke off the hug to check if his limbs are still complete.

“I’ve been waiting all night for you.” I asked as I caressed his face.

“You were?” He was surprised, touched, impressed even.

“Yes. What took you so long?” I asked.

“This.” He fished something from his pocket. It looked like something between a thin compact mirror and huge locket.

“A sorority whistle?” I was sure it wasn’t a compact or a locket.

“No, but it is a whistle; a cry whistle. I bought this from a wondering merchant on my way home from the Red Castle of the North.” He said as he stared at me, studying the platinum tear patterns.

“Cry whistle?”

“Blow on it if you need me and I will come at once wherever I am.” He said.

“Ohhh, thank you.” I almost swooned but I ignored my rapid beating heart. I’ve been waiting all night to tell him the truth. I won’t be distracted.

I watched him remove his crown and placed it in a blue silken cushion inside a black velvet box, just like mine. I watched him remove his cape and hang it in the closet hanger. I watched him unbutton his top and stopped in midway to look at me. He noticed my stare.

“Baby, is something bothering you?” He asked as he sat beside me in the bed, our feet dangling on the white furry carpet. His face was etched with worry.

I shook my head in contrast to what I was about to say. I held his hand that rested on my knee and started the speech that I’ve been practicing since dinner. “I need to tell you something.”

He looked at me as I continued. “I saw you take Kendra’s soul. I know you already know that but what you don’t know is; she was murdered just like Kenji and Barbie. And Nicole and Poppy and Sybil too. They were all murdered by the same person who’s after me. I know you know them. I know you were taking their souls.” He opened his mouth to answer but I continued. I will spill it out right here, right now and there’s no stopping me.

“What I wanted to say is that I never truly loved you.” His eyes widened in shock and utter hurt but I carried on.

“I was working with the police. Well not exactly the police. I’m working with an officer’s son. He was interested in the case and I was too. I wanted to bring justice to my friends’ deaths. Seeing what you did with Kendra, you were the only suspect I had in mind. I wanted to turn you in to using your own words.” His face now etched with disappointment. I wanted to undo everything I did.

“But…But then, we came into a suspect. Stacy. And you weren’t on the list anymore but you were there on each SOC. You are the only possible witness. We needed proof of anything, Reece, that’s why I was taping all our conversations.” I said, looking at his expressionless face. I was again in the verge of tears. I waited for his response.

Nothing.

“Reece… Reece, I’m sorry. Please, forgive me.” I clasped both his hands and pleaded.

Nothing.

“Reece say something.” I begged, but he pulled his hands away and stood up. “Aren’t you going to say anything? Anything?”

He looked back at me, his face void of all emotions but his eyes screaming with pain from disappointment. Good Lord, what did I do? He doesn’t deserve this. He turned his back and went straight to the bathroom.

The slamming of the bathroom door made my heart leap out of my mouth. He was furious, but he doesn’t throw it all on me. I stood up and started pacing again. I expected a burst of emotions from him. I expected to be yelled at. I even expected to be hit because I know in my heart I deserved it.

The sound of running water was the only thing I was hearing as I pressed my ear on the bathroom door. My subconscious scolded me for my ill acting manners, but then again, all I wanted was to hear anything from him. To prove to myself that he’s angry? I mentally slapped myself. Isn’t it obvious? I used him. I told him I didn’t love him… in his face. Who wouldn’t be angry with what I did?

I’m such a twat!

I kicked the tall bookshelf beside the bathroom door just to let out my overflowing irritation to myself. And before I knew it; it fell on top of me.

All I was hearing was the falling of hard bound books and few shattering of glass as I absorbed all the bumps and heavy pressure. I squinted and grimaced in pain, but the masochist inside me was nodding approvingly, smiling contentedly even. I deserve all this pain and somehow, I know, I needed this; a lot of this.

“What the fuck were you doing?” Reece screamed as lifted the shelf above me. A couple more encyclopedias fell over my head and a couple in my arms. I opened my eyes and he was dripping wet with only a thick white towel wrapped around his hips.

“I… I’m sorry.” That was all I could ever say after everything. His jaw was clenched, his lips were pressed, and his eyes were dark. He was clearly pissed. But there was something in his eyes and gentle touch that says he wasn’t pissed with me. He was worried; worried that I’d hurt myself.

He helped me plant my feet on the ground, avoiding the shattered glass. He sat me on the bed, checking if I had injuries. I didn’t care if had injuries. I just looked at how worried he was when he saw cuts from my legs and my upper arm.

After everything I’ve said and done, he still cares about me. My tears finally cascaded out of my eyes. His head turned quickly to my face when he heard my sobs. Bringing in a medicine kit from below the dresser he knelt down in front of me.

“They’ll be gone by tomorrow.” His voice used to be soft and gentle honey to my ears but this time it was plain and emotionless. He thinks I’m crying because I was hurt. Little did he know I was crying because I hurt him.

“I don’t deserve your kindness.” I sobbed. “I’m so sorry for being such a twat.” I sobbed even more.

“Don’t say that.” His voice was still soft but I’m sure was scolding me for the adjective I used for myself.

After he’s done applying ointments to my very few cuts, he stood up and got dressed. “I’ll have someone clean that up tomorrow.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be mad at me?” I murmured. He sat on the bed beside me and dimmed the lamp on his side. I waited for his answer but I didn’t receive any. His cold shoulder is killing me.

“Are you mad at me?” My voice was trembling. He noticed this so he nudged closer and stroked my hair. It felt like he only did it so I would stop asking and crying.

“Go to sleep.” 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 3.3K 19
Lucy Heartfillia who is just an average girl decides to go to a club with her best friend Levy. Who she meets at the club will rock her world. When s...
35 5 19
Prince of City Princess of Nature earth One is getting ready for his burial ceremony, one just started to live go the fullest. When love blooms, wil...
114K 5.1K 35
A girl locked away for several years, finally coming out of the darkness and realizing what she will soon be able to do. *Being edited*
4.4K 349 35
Girl. Framed for murder. Comes home 2 years later. Meets potential friends (or not). Revelations. Endings. Beginnings. :) Highest ranked: #20 in Mys...