The Helpers: An International...

By SENsBooks

More

The Helpers: An International Tale of Espionage and Corruption

63 4 0
By SENsBooks

BRIEF SYNOPSIS

___________

American journalist, Jenny Osborne, will not let fear stop her from getting a story. She accepts her first big assignment abroad to report on the war that is causing political and social turbulence between the government and rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). But after she and her photojournalist, John Spencer, arrive in Kinshasa, they soon discover that things are not as they seem. 

Monsieur Lance Lemmand, a veteran French Intelligence Officer in DRC suspects the hand of "The Helpers" in the current political unrest. He enlists his protégé, the brilliant and handsome Pierre-Jean Philippe, to help him investigate. When Kai, a local schoolgirl, who is hiding a deep, dark secret, decides to take action, she seeks out Jenny for help. Kai gives Jenny damaging information that could bring down "The Helpers." Can Jenny's fulfill her duty to Kai and fight her feelings for Pierre, while trying to achieve her greater goal? 

"The Helpers" find out that Jenny has obtained damaging information about them and will stop at nothing to prevent Jenny from exposing them. Jenny finds herself on the run, caught in a web of intrigue, espionage and assassinations, spanning from Congo to Europe, and as far reaching as the United States. Her only hope is Lance and Pierre. But will they find her before it is too late? Or will "The Helpers" silence them once and for all. 

_________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 1

_______

“I knew this job wasn't going to be easy,” thought Capt. Pierre-Jean Philippe as he looked at his floor full of scattered papers. He had been stationed in Congo for the past two years, working as the French Military Intelligence attaché. He sat down and started sifting through the large pile of papers. The papers contained information on people who were believed to be working for the rebels. They were organized according to the level of importance and the date the information had been received. He picked up one of the papers and read a few lines.

“Damn this war!” he shouted. He had never seen anything like it. There was deep ethnic hatred in the population that made reconciliation almost impossible. Matters were made worse by elements within the government that didn’t go along with the central command and ultimately made their own decisions.

He went to the kitchen, grabbed a beer, and gulped down almost half the bottle. He thought about the latest information he had on some so-called political parties. People were being massacred in the countryside without the government batting an eye because the very people who ordered the killing worked for the government. Morale among the troops was down. The only way to bring the situation under control was to negotiate with the rebels and discard the bad elements in the government.

“Enough of this nonsense,” thought Pierre. It was time he got to the bottom of this.

Pierre stood by the window, lit a cigarette, and stared at the beautiful grounds, in a setting of green grass and lush trees that surrounded the compound of his house. He really liked his quiet residence. It was an ideal place for his covert operations. He inhaled deeply and felt the frustration ease. The smoke started to swirl, evoking images of his past and the events that had brought him here.

Pierre had attended Pantheon-Sorbonne in Paris, where he had studied political science and graduated with honors. In his early twenties, he had moved to New York to study for his undergraduate degree at Columbia University, but when he decided to join the Foreign Intelligence, he moved back home.

After the military training, he was posted to Special Forces in various Francophone countries around the world. His dream finally came true when he was selected to study counter-intelligence. He’d been sent for training to a little farm in the north of France but, to this day, he couldn’t tell you the location, since he’d been drugged on his way to and from the place. His qualifications and language skills were good, so he easily landed jobs in various embassies abroad as a military attaché. Now, here he was stationed in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The phone attached to the radio transmitter rang and jolted Pierre out of his daydream. It rang once, twice—an emergency! He rushed to a room behind the kitchen. He glanced at the switchboard: the call was from Code Quarto, on the Island of Comoros. This was not a good sign. Pierre started to sweat profusely. He jumped to lock the door, flicked on the switch, latched a scrambler onto the mouthpiece, and grabbed a pad.

“Yes, A1, come in,” he said as he took a pen. He listened intently to the caller, then quickly started to write down some notes—all the time perspiring.

After what seemed like an eternity, he asked, “Is this for certain, A1?”

“Yes, monsieur,” came the reply.

“Thank you.”

He put the set down and stared at the transmitter in disbelief. Sweat turned to rivulets of perspiration as he considered the implications of what he had just learned.

“Goddamn it! Why didn’t anyone notify me earlier?” he shouted out loud as he placed a call to his boss.

“Boss, we need to meet immediately. I just received a call from Code Quarto.”

“I will meet you in the office in an hour,” his boss responded.

He looked at the paper of code that was still in his hand. Years of reading coded messages had made him an expert at decoding information. He took a match from his pocket and burned the paper. It turned into dust.

This new information was disturbing. A few days ago, he’d heard a rumor of plans to get rid of the Congolese President if he signed a peace agreement with the rebels. Subsequent investigation had revealed that the culprits were extremists who had no contacts whatsoever with either the government or the rebels.

He got up slowly and made his way to the living room. He picked up all the scattered papers in a daze and deposited them in the safe. He was drenched and his clothes were sticking to his back as he headed to the bathroom and jumped in the shower. He dried himself still thinking about the message. He put on a pair of baggy khaki pants and a jean shirt with a white T-shirt underneath and then combed his hair. Pierre didn't like cologne; all he used was aftershave.

He looked at his reflection in the mirror and saw a man with black hair, cut almost military style. At thirty-two years of age, Pierre was in excellent shape. He was six feet two inches tall and very handsome, but he did not seem to be aware of it, which made him even more appealing. He had never been a ladies’ man, and his job was not conducive to a relationship, so he shied away from committed relationships. One last look in the mirror convinced him that he was ready. He looked around the room before he picked up his briefcase and headed toward the front door.

Once outside, he could hear guns going off in the distance. Pierre had heard about the conflict, corruption, and craziness in Congo before he arrived, but nothing had prepared him for the chaos of Kinshasa. There was a war still going on between different factions of the government and the rebels. The city itself was full of people, soldiers mixed with civilians. Nobody seemed to understand completely what the war was about, except for the fact that the rebels belonged to the minority group and they were closing in.

Unlike other expatriates who lived in the Gombe area, the political and business district of Kinshasa, Pierre lived alone, outside the city center of Kinshasa. He wasn't particularly fond of the city and the large crowds, and sometimes the temperature could be hot and unbearable, but he enjoyed the culture, music and local food. Still, he preferred his privacy and needed it for a good reason. If his colleagues were aware of his activities, their lives would be jeopardized. He locked the door and turned on the alarm system, which he had installed the moment he rented the house. The system was sufficient to ward off ordinary burglars, but it wasn't much of a deterrent to professionals.

His garage was only about twenty paces from his house. Pierre looked around carefully to make sure everything was in order before he opened the garage. He cursed the idiot who had built the house for not having been a little sharper; a lot of things could happen while a man walked that distance. The car he had acquired was a white Peugeot that was over three years old. He liked it because it was inconspicuous, and he loved the sound of its engine. He got in the car, deposited his briefcase on the passenger seat, and started the engine. He felt the surge of power at the sound of screeching tires as he took off.

He joined the traffic on the main road heading to his office as he mulled over the repercussions of the disturbing information he had just received. A hand-held surface-to-air missile had been acquired a week ago in South Africa and transported to Congo without anybody noticing anything. It had been shipped to Kinshasa, although it was not on the list of incoming ammunition. Pierre glanced outside his right window. Visibility was much better and he could see the Congo River clearly in the distance. Thank God it was April and the rainy season was mostly over. Pierre hated to drive in the rain.

When he finally arrived at his office at the French Embassy, the Congolese security guard quickly opened the gate to let him in. Pierre was so preoccupied that he barely noticed the man, who waved in greeting. He pressed the intercom and announced himself. A buzzer went off and Pierre punched some numbers on the red phone that was mounted on the wall before another door opened. His mind was working overtime as he walked hurriedly toward his office. He checked his watch to make sure he was not late. It was almost seven o’clock in the evening, the time he was supposed to meet his boss. His secretary, Piquet, greeted him cheerfully, but Pierre barely noticed her and instead asked her sternly if his boss had shown up.

“No, monsieur, he hasn't called in,” she answered meekly.

“That’s all for now, Piquet,” he said before he closed his office door firmly behind him.

Piquet’s phone rang and she quickly picked it up. “Hello?” she inquired.

“You can go home now Piquet. I know you are tired,” Pierre said. He wanted to ensure privacy during his forthcoming conversation with his boss.

“Thank you, monsieur. I will direct all communication to your office.” She put away the files and checked the telephones and computers before she left.

Pierre tried to keep his cool as he waited for his boss. He started to pour himself a drink from a bottle he kept in his desk for emergencies, but decided against it. He needed to be alert. He reached across his desk, turned on the switch for all the cameras in the Embassy, and monitored the movements for a while. Most of the staff had already left, which suited Pierre just fine. Once they were gone and his boss arrived, he would switch on the motion detectors, a routine procedure when using the office after hours.

Pierre’s boss, Monsieur Lance Lemand, was the head of French Intelligence in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Lance was in his mid-fifties but he still had a full head of dark brown hair with some gray at the temples. He was an inch taller than Pierre and was still in good shape, having been in the French military for most of his life before joining Foreign Intelligence over two decades ago. Pierre liked and admired his boss. In the beginning, he’d been intimidated by the man, but over the last year they had become friendly.

Lance was very intelligent and knowledgeable; he also knew the inner workings of the African continent better than anyone Pierre had ever met. Pierre had learned a lot from his boss, and he knew that he could rely on Lance to provide insight into the current situation. He was agitated and shaken as he anticipated his boss’ reaction to the news. Pierre knew Lance’s short temper—he would fly off the handle when he learned what was happening in the country under his watch.

Pierre sat in his office wondering why he was in the Congo in the first place—a country that was known for having some of the most unending, brutal wars on the continent. Now there was a missile practically at his doorstep. He considered the domestic and international repercussions. He wondered if his education at Columbia and the Sorbonne had prepared him for this. His thoughts were interrupted by Lance’s arrival. There was a buzz on the telephone.

Pierre pressed the button after checking the screen to make sure it was the man himself. Satisfied, he got up and quickly opened the door.

CHAPTER 2

_______

Lance greeted Pierre with a grunt and proceeded to the inner office. He headed straight to the table where the bourbon was and poured himself a nice shot.

“I hope you have a good reason to bring me out here at this hour, young man!” he grumbled as he poured the glass’ contents down his throat.

Pierre closed the door behind him. “Please have a seat, boss. We have a situation.”

Lance sat down uneasily and looked straight at Pierre, waiting for an explanation. He had a lot of respect for the younger man. “What’s up, son? It’s not like you to be this tense.”

Pierre sat down, then stood up and started pacing back and forth, still agitated.

“Some important information has come to my attention; that’s why I called you.” He tried to pour another drink for Lance, but the older man waved his hand to stop him.

“Come to the point, Pierre. I know you didn’t call me in here for a simple discussion.”

“Very well, boss,” Pierre answered and recounted all the information he had gathered so far, ending with the missile that had been shipped from South Africa to Kinshasa.

Lance jumped up from his chair as if somebody had punched him. “Did you say a missile?” he asked sharply.

“Yes. A hand-held, surface-to-air missile,” he said, and then added, “with a launcher.”

Lance’s face turned red, and it was his turn to start pacing in the small office. “How could this have happened under our noses? Never mind … Pierre, you might as well turn off those gadgets of yours. We don’t want this conversation recorded. I need to think.” He was pointing to the machine that controlled all the listening devices that had been placed within the Embassy. Pierre turned off all the switches.

Lance sat down and reached for his cigar. He was seriously disturbed by this new information. “Son, go and get us some coffee from the kitchen, will you? This is going to be a long night,” he said quietly.

Pierre was out the door almost before his boss had finished the sentence. He came back in a few minutes with two mugs of coffee and sat down opposite Lance, who was lighting his cigar.

“Boss, I have been thinking about this,” Pierre began. “The person or people who bought the missile must be well-entrenched in Congo and powerful enough to bribe a high-powered official in order to pass the order through without any control. I have a feeling this has to do with stopping the upcoming peace talks.”

The young man is right, thought Lance as he continued puffing on his cigar. There were radical groups that were working relentlessly to try and prevent the peace talks. The possibilities were immense. He continued to sip his coffee and puff on his cigar as he immersed himself in deep thought. He looked at Pierre. If they failed to solve this problem, the young man’s career would be finished. Lance himself was almost at the end of his career and could only lose credibility, which he had lost once before, so he didn’t care.

He shook his head, trying not to think of failure.

“We will have to be very careful here, young man. If they catch on, whoever they are, our investigation will be halted; even worse, we may lose our lives,” Lance said before he got up again and started pacing rapidly. “Do we have a mole in the Ministry of Defense?” he asked.

The question came so abruptly that it caught Pierre off guard.

“Ah yes, we have a Captain who is an artillery specialist. He studied in France.”

The old man put his cigar in the ashtray and continued pacing, though much more slowly. “How high is he in the military?” he asked grimly.

“He is the second to the Captain in charge of long-range artillery and very bright, I may add. He is the one who provided us with the information about the threats on the President. I trust him, boss.”

Lance stopped and looked at Pierre. “Yes, I think I remember him—Antoine something.”

“You have a good memory, monsieur. His name is Antoine Giza, a very good man.”

Lance continued pacing. “Who do we have in the CDR party?”

Pierre gulped his coffee down and lit another cigarette before replying. “We have two.”

Lance suddenly stopped and sat down opposite Pierre, looking him straight in the eye. “I started this gig as a fall guy, something people from your generation will never understand,” he started, then changed his mind and reached for the bourbon instead of the coffee. “This situation may get nasty if we don’t control it immediately. Trust me on this.”

“I understand the full implications, boss,” Pierre answered quietly.

“Good. Why don’t you call this Antoine and ask him to meet you. Don’t forget to use a scrambler. I will wait here until you get back. Now hurry!”

“All right, boss.” Pierre said, getting up. He connected a device to the phone line before he quickly dialed the number.

“AG, is that you?’ Pierre asked. “It’s PJ here. Can we meet at point zero in about ten minutes? It’s a matter of extreme urgency!” He hung up quickly and picked up his keys. “Boss, you are familiar with—”

Lance interrupted him and waved his hand, motioning him to leave. Pierre got the message and quickly made his exit.

CHAPTER 3

_______

Pierre smiled and greeted Edmond, the Congolese security guard, indicating he’d be right back. No need to show how tense he was really feeling.

“À tout à I’heure, Edmond,” Pierre said to the security guard, indicating he’d be right back. “Don’t lock me out now,” he joked.

“Working late tonight, Monsieur Philippe?” questioned the guard with a smile.

Pierre nodded, automatically pasted a grin on his face, and revved up the engine. Act normal. Try to act normal. But he felt the tension tighten his muscles. This was what he dreaded, what he figured every agent dreaded most: uncertainty.

The ride was smooth as there was no traffic. It was almost eight o’clock and as he drove uphill to point zero he could see that the lights had been turned on in most of the buildings. Pierre rolled down the window and breathed deeply to try to relieve the tension headache that had suddenly started. After the rain, the evening breeze was refreshing but his head continued to ache as he struggled with questions. He needed to activate all his resources to get to the bottom of what was happening.

He arrived at point zero, parked his car, and extinguished all the lights. He sat back and smoked a cigarette while waiting. His thoughts turned to Antoine. The Congolese man was smart and had trained at a superior military facility in France. He wondered why he had chosen to come back to Congo. If Pierre had been in Antoine’s shoes, would he have come back? He doubted it. Too bad such a smart man was born into this kind of situation. All the same, if all went well and peace was achieved, the man had a bright future here in Congo.

A soft knock on his window startled him and he glanced quickly sideways; he saw Antoine and smiled, waving to him to go around to the passenger side. He reached over and opened the door. Antoine struggled to fit his two-hundred-pound frame into the front seat of the car.

“Hello, Antoine. How are you?” inquired Pierre as he felt Antoine’s firm handshake.

“Fine for now, Pierre, but I don’t know for how long. You have never called me at home before. What’s up?”

Pierre retrieved another cigarette and took his time lighting it. “Are you alone?” he asked.

“Of course. Why?”

“No bodyguards?” Pierre asked again.

“Only the driver and we don’t have to worry about him.”

Pierre paused and puffed on his cigarette. “Tell me, Antoine, when your people order arms, who processes and receives the items?”

Antoine Giza turned to look at Pierre. “It’s normally the Secretary of Defense. But then again, one of his assistants could always represent him, although I have never known it to happen.” He paused. “I have a friend in the receiving department of the armory. I could find out,” he answered, suddenly sounding worried.

Pierre continued smoking his cigarette. “My friend, we had better find out who received the consignment that arrived today from Pretoria! I might as well tell you since we are in this together. A surface-to-air missile was purchased and brought right here to Kinshasa,” he said punching his forefinger on the dashboard.

Antoine’s eyes went wide open in disbelief. His mouth opened, but nothing came out.

Pierre flicked the cigarette out of the window. “Antoine, we must find the missile,” he said firmly.

“What you can do for us is to find out who handled the final paperwork or who received the arms here in Kinshasa,” Pierre finished, suddenly realizing the magnitude of the work involved.

Antoine appeared to have been digesting the information quietly. He cleared his throat. “Son of a bitch!” he cursed. Pierre, who had never heard Antoine curse before, turned to look at him.

“I will find out who received the shipment,” Antoine said firmly.

Pierre looked at him and smiled, trying to conceal his own anxiety. “Look, Antoine, I believe we will solve this. We are ahead of the game. We have an advantage because they don’t know that we know.” He paused and smiled trying to convince himself of what he had just said.

Antoine suddenly relaxed and smiled. “I will get the information you want tomorrow.”

“That is what I wanted to hear. You have my cell phone number and here is my home number,” Pierre said as he scribbled it down. “Better call me there. I don’t think I will be in the office tomorrow.” He handed Antoine a card on which he had scribbled his home number.

They shook hands and said goodbye. Antoine walked toward his Renault, which was parked in the shadows.

As Antoine drove off, Pierre sat there a little longer and waited; he always did this to give Antoine time to get away without arousing suspicion. He looked at his watch—it was almost nine o’clock. He thought about Lance, who was probably seething by now. He accelerated and arrived at the Embassy gate in ten minutes.

The security guard opened the gate, cheerful as ever. How could somebody be cheerful about opening gates? Pierre wondered as he pulled into his parking spot and rushed upstairs.

Lance opened the door and ushered him in without a word. “What took you so long, Pierre?” Lance grumbled before he sat heavily in his chair and lit his customary cigar.

“Sorry, boss. I didn’t realize the time.” Pierre said as he walked in and sat down behind the desk. He explained everything that he had discussed with Antoine. “AG will get the information for us tomorrow.”

“Good work.” Lance paused and continued puffing his cigar. “We may find out who received the weapon, but we still won’t know who ordered it. I made a call to South Africa. Well, according to Hendricks, who worked in Madagascar with me and is now stationed in Pretoria, an anonymous person bought the damn thing and included it in the military shipment. The bad news is that we don’t have any way of knowing who it was!”

“Goddamn it!’ Pierre cursed loudly. “Why don’t these so-called arms empires have a transparent way of doing business?” he asked, more to himself than to the old man.

Lance waved his cigar to calm Pierre down. “We have done more than you think, my boy. At least we now know the device came along with the rest of the arms,” he said as he reached for his glass. His face suddenly looked serious. “Look, son, don’t think of relaxing for one second. The game has just begun. What we have here is a group rich enough to purchase a missile and smart enough to know how to conceal its shipment.”

Pierre knew that Lance was right. If these people had that kind of determination, anything could happen. He stood up, walked to the window, and spoke without turning. “These people must have a very important target in mind in order to purchase a missile. The target is probably difficult to shoot with a regular gun.” He turned to look at Lance, waiting for an answer. None came immediately.

Lance slowly puffed his cigar. “Yes,” he finally responded, his eyes solemn and resolute. “I came to the same conclusion. I have a very bad feeling about this one. I really do. Due to the gravity of this situation, I will have to contact Paris immediately. You have until tomorrow night to do your investigation. Meanwhile, I will contact some people.”

Stubbing out his cigar in the ashtray, Lance stood up. “Those women contacts of yours. It wouldn’t hurt to see them tonight.” He picked up his coat and headed for the door.

CHAPTER 4

_______

Pierre sat down heavily in the chair and started contemplating his next move. His sources in the CDR party were two girls. One was the mistress of the CDR party’s Chairman and the other was the Chairman’s secretary. He was uncertain which one of them to contact; Nazarene, the secretary, or the beautiful Chantal, who was also Pierre’s lover.

Pierre picked up the phone and dialed the secretary. Nazarene always had reliable information, and she had an axe to grind, since she held the CDR party responsible for killing her brother. His views had been contrary to those of the party, and he had started getting popular in the political arena, so they eliminated him. She had changed her name and taken a position with the party to find out which of the members was responsible for her brother’s death. Pierre waited, but nobody answered the phone.

He dialed Chantal’s number and waited. He had first caught a glimpse of the beautiful girl through the window of a sleek BMW, when his car had stopped near hers at a traffic light. She was of mixed heritage, slender and seemed taller than average. The wind was blowing her dark curly hair, and he could see her stunning face. She was laughing at something, showing her white set of teeth. Pierre thought she was the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on. He decided to find out more about her.

It wasn’t long before he found out that she was the mistress of one of the most powerful men in Congo, Monsieur Bukana, who also happened to be the Chairman of the radical CDR party, but Pierre still made his move and shortly after, they started a love affair. Everything Pierre wanted to know about the man, he found out easily from Chantal.

One day when they were lying in bed, she confided to Pierre that when her mother died, Bukana had looked after her and paid her school fees, and later they had become lovers. She also told him that her mother was Congolese and her father was French, but she didn’t remember him. She just received a birthday card from him every year. Pierre felt a bit sorry for the girl but then again she was under the protection of Bukana. Thankfully the big man never found out about Pierre and Chantal because he was always busy campaigning.

“It’s time now for you to find out something for me, sweet Chantal,” Pierre said aloud before he started the car and drove toward the Embassy.

“Hello?” her voice almost startled him.

“Chantal, it’s me, Pierre, how are you?”

“I am fine, chéri. Why haven’t you called me lately?” Chantal hardly ever called Pierre by his name; Pierre always wondered if it was her way of avoiding getting caught by either of her two lovers.

Pierre had anticipated her reaction. “I called a few times and nobody answered. I figured you were out having a nice time with the old man.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, chéri, you know he gets too demanding sometimes, but don’t worry, I resisted his advances,” she lied smoothly.

Pierre knew better. “Say, Chantal, can we meet tonight at the usual place? I really have to see you.”

“Chéri, it’s too late! It’s almost ten o’clock.”

“Listen, Chantal, I might be leaving for Paris so I wanted to see you before .”

“I will be there; see you soon,” she said, and hung up.

Pierre knew Chantal’s weakness. She thought Paris was paradise; if she only knew! He shook his head and smiled as he dialed their usual hotel for a reservation.

Pierre set the Embassy alarms and left the office. His car was the only one left in the parking lot. He inserted the key in the door and entered the car as he thought about the work he had to do. If this thing blew up in his face, he would be walking the streets of Paris looking for a job. Not to mention that his current gig didn’t carry any recommendations. He laughed aloud and started the engine. He let it run while he mentally categorized his plans. After making up his mind, he slid out of the parking space and headed for the gate. He reached into his pocket for some Congolese franc notes, which he gave to the cheerful security guard.

“Merci, monsieur,” said the man as Pierre drove out.

It didn’t hurt at times like these to help someone. One good deed deserves another. That’s what Americans always say. He recalled his days at Columbia University in New York. He had decided to live in Harlem because he wanted a different experience and it was next to his school. At the time, he had shared an apartment with an Italian girl named Lisa, who was a lesbian, and a black guy named Marcus, who worked as a bartender in midtown.

As far as Pierre was concerned, he had the best of both worlds. He spent Saturdays with Lisa walking around Manhattan and the boroughs, going to places like Central Park, Soho, Battery Park, Coney Island, Long Island, and even Staten Island, while with Marcus, Pierre got to know all the nightspots and meet the ladies. The roommates sometimes threw all-night parties, and all kinds of people would attend, including boys from the neighborhood whom Pierre had befriended. His only rule was to stay in during the week and study, but weekends were another story. He smiled, remembering those days.

* * *

He decided to take a chance and pass by Nazarene’s apartment on his way to the hotel to meet Chantal. He arrived more quickly than he had expected and pulled into the parking lot. He was taking a risk as they had never met at her apartment before, but things were different now. He walked toward the building, which was a modern structure, and looked for her apartment. He pressed the bell and waited. The light came on and he heard a movement as someone came to the door. The outside light came on and the door opened.

“Pierre?’ Nazarene questioned as she let him in. “What are you doing here?”

“How are you, Naz? Why didn’t you answer your phone?” Nazarene was almost six feet tall and very beautiful, with a smooth ebony complexion. She was shapely and always well-dressed. Her elegant features reflected themselves in her apartment; Pierre looked around, very impressed.

“Oh, I had to go with my boss to a meeting and I just got back about five minutes ago. Pierre, don’t say that you were worried about me. I know you,” she stated.

He spread his hands in resignation. The girl was sharp. Their relationship was strictly business. Pierre paid cash for the information he got from her.

“Okay, Naz. Can I have something to drink, please?” he asked, getting up and opening the mouthpiece of the phone and checking around for bugs. Pierre had the habit of checking everything when he intended to talk seriously with somebody.

She came back with two beers, sat down, and looked at him with amusement. “Is this what you do? Barge into people’s apartments and open their phones? What were you checking for, anyway?” she asked, still smiling.

Pierre took his drink and swallowed. “Bugs. Never mind.”

She looked at him. “Pierre, this is the first time you have come here. It must be very important, so what can I do for you?”

“I will explain everything, but first I have to make a phone call,” he said, retrieving his cell phone from his jacket. He quickly dialed the hotel and mentioned his name. The manager told him that his party had already arrived. Pierre explained that he had had a puncture on the way but would be there in about thirty minutes. He asked the manager to please relay the information to his party.

Nazarene was laughing her head off. “Who could that be that you’re bullshitting about a puncture, Pierre?” she asked, but Pierre was serious when he answered her question.

“Come on, Naz. You wouldn't want our little arrangement to end up in the Gazette newspaper, would you?”

She sobered up quickly. “Sorry Pierre, I didn’t mean it like that,” she said apologetically.

Pierre decided to get to the point. “Naz, we have some problems. I hope you can help me.” He inched closer. “Has your boss been behaving strangely in the past few days?”

Nazarene’s eyes opened wide, and she nodded her head. “Now that you mention it, the whole group has been acting strangely lately and keeping me in the outer office to stop people from interrupting them,” she said, shaking her head trying to recall something. “Come to think of it, my boss had been anxious for the past few weeks until earlier today, but this afternoon he was very happy. I overheard him say that they have it now but I didn’t know what ‘it’ meant,” she finished finally.

Pierre got up and reached in his pocket, peeled several banknotes and deposited them on the table.

“Was that helpful?” she inquired anxiously.

“Yes, Naz, more than you will ever know. Just keep your ears extra open from now on,” he said and stepped out of the apartment.

Pierre’s mind was racing as he sat behind the wheel. What was Bukana happy about? He didn’t want to make any assumptions. He was annoyed with himself for not having had the foresight to deploy more operatives.

He started the car and headed for the hotel where Chantal was waiting for him. On arrival, he inquired about his reservations. The manager, who was familiar with him, directed him to a room where Chantal was waiting. He knocked and the door opened suddenly.

“Where have you been?” she asked impatiently in a sexy voice. “I have been bored as hell!”

Pierre gave her a quick kiss on the mouth and entered the room. He turned to look at her and, once again, he was struck by her beauty. Chantal was exotic-looking, the product of a Belgian father and a Congolese mother. She was dressed in a white shirt, tight black jeans and short pumps. With her tall, slender shape, she looked like she belonged in a magazine, but she was twenty-two years old, and in Pierre’s mind she still had a lot to learn.

“Chantal, didn’t you get my message?” She reluctantly nodded.

He picked up the phone and ordered a bottle of wine while watching Chantal. The girl was quite irresistible and he liked her a lot, and hated using her to get information, but he had no choice. What made it worse was that she liked him too.

The bottle arrived; Pierre popped it open, poured wine into two glasses, and offered one to Chantal. “Tell me, Chantal, how have you been?’ he asked, his eyes looking for any clues.

“I have been busy you know, with school, and the CDR keep using my apartment to have their meetings. Really, chéri, I don’t like it a bit,” she said slightly shaking her head.

They drank wine, made small talk, and kissed. Pierre’s thoughts kept returning to the missile. He was thinking of a way to ask her questions without spoiling the mood.

“Chantal, I will be going abroad soon,” He stated as he stroked her face. “I would have liked to take you with me to Paris, but what would Bukana say?” He kissed her fervently. “I am sure by now he has some big plans for you.”

Chantal was breathing faster. “Chéri, it is you that I want. I don’t plan to stay with him.”

By now, Pierre had opened her bra and was caressing her upper body. “Did he mention anything about his plans for the immediate future?” he asked as he kissed her. “You know, chérie, if he has big plans for you, we may have to find another way to get you to Paris,” he lied smoothly in between kisses. He was now discreetly pulling down her underwear.

“He said soon everything would be different and we would have everything we wanted,” she said between soft moans.

Pierre had his answer.

Chantal moaned harder as he finally entered her. They made serious passionate love, moving together with ease as they always did. Their breathing got heavier and they moved together faster and faster, until they finally slumped on one another, exhausted and spent. Their lovemaking was always like that; very passionate and demanding. She put her head on his chest and fell asleep.

Pierre looked at his watch; it was almost one in the morning. He hadn’t gotten a wink of sleep in the past sixteen hours, let alone a decent meal. He set his alarm for six o’clock. Tomorrow was going to be a very busy day, he thought, before he fell sound asleep.

CHAPTER 5

_______

Pierre was awakened by a ringing which he first thought was in his head before he realized what it was. “Damn the alarm!” he said as he pressed the silent button. Chantal was fast asleep beside him. He toyed with the idea of waking her up but discarded it. He got out of bed, dressed quietly, and started for the door, but stopped half way.

What if she didn’t have money for a taxi? He might as well leave her a note explaining his departure. He wrote a quick message to her saying he had gotten an emergency phone call and left some bills next to the note before he silently stepped out, closing the door quietly behind him.

The morning breeze was refreshing as he headed toward his car. A lot of questions lingered in Pierre’s mind as he drove out of the hotel parking lot. The hotel had a large compound surrounding it, which was very well kept. Some palm trees had been planted on the grounds, which gave the place a more exotic feel, and it was near the Congo River. He liked the hotel because of its location. It was secluded and not many people knew about it.

He contemplated his next move. Last night had brought more things to light and he had to find out what they meant. He knew one thing for sure; he had to use clandestine methods to obtain more information. He could not rely on the girls to deliver specific information, so he decided that he would tap the lines of all the radical suspects. He knew the right man for this kind of work, an ex-paratrooper of French origin who had done freelance mercenary work until a bullet tore his leg off. Since then, he had surfaced in Congo, married a local girl, and started a construction business. Inquiries had revealed that the man had outstanding warrants in France. This information had put him in Pierre’s pocket. He had to get in touch with Boudvin, the fugitive contractor, right away.

He headed to Boudvin’s house and parked on a street behind the house. Pierre knew that Boudvin was a wiretap specialist. He was also very smart. He smiled as he thought about Boudvin. The man had only one good leg, but he could move faster than most people. Pierre got out of the car and walked toward the little brick house in the middle of the block. On arrival, he heard voices inside the house, a good sign that Boudvin was already awake. He knocked hard on the door and waited. The door was opened by a beautiful teenage girl, with a surprised look on her face. She seemed young and innocent, but she was half-dressed, which meant she must have spent the night with Boudvin.

Pierre pushed by her without a word. “Boudvin! Come here!” he called out before taking a seat.

“Damn it! Who is calling me at this awful hour?” Boudvin asked, coming out of the bedroom in his pajamas. He stopped in his tracks when he saw who it was.

“I see you are still abusing young, innocent girls. What happened to your wife?” Pierre commented.

Boudvin smiled. “What do you expect? I’m semi- retired and in the prime of my life.”

Pierre’s face took on a stern look as he motioned Boudvin to take a seat. When Boudvin sat down, Pierre looked him straight in the eye. “Your little vacation is over,” he stated firmly, looking at the middle-aged mercenary. He gave a side look at the girl. “We have work to do. Privately.”

Boudvin nodded to the girl, who disappeared into the bedroom.

“I don’t care about your personal life, Boudvin, but one thing should be clear: If you ever fuck up with these young girls, and the parents come after you, I can’t help you,” Pierre said, looking toward the bedroom door.

Boudvin just nodded his head and shrugged. “I know, Pierre; my wife and I are separated. Anyway, you didn’t come here to lecture me about my domestic affairs. What is it that you want?” he demanded.

Pierre retrieved his cigarettes from his pocket. “Do you mind if I smoke?” he asked as he offered the pack to Boudvin.

“No problem; I will join you,” he said as he took one.

Pierre lit Boudvin’s cigarette and then his own. He inhaled deeply and blew out the smoke before starting to speak. “Boudvin, I have been saving your ass for some time, as you know,” he said as he puffed on his cigarette. “I have a special assignment for you and if you complete it successfully, I promise not to bother you again!” He paused to let the message sink in.

* * *

Boudvin was suddenly alert. His years of experience in dealing with officials told him that something big was unfolding; otherwise, such an offer would be unheard of. He looked at Pierre, trying to find any clues that would shed some light on the matter, but Pierre’s face was impassive. “I’m listening.”

* * *

Pierre took his time puffing on his cigarette. “Boudvin, I need your wire-tapping expertise,” he said. “I have a few people that I’m interested in, and since you know your way around phone systems, I don’t think it would be hard for you to tap their phones and route them to this number,” he said, handing him his home number. “This should be a piece of cake for someone with your experience. Think you can handle it?” he asked.

Boudvin was looking at Pierre blankly. “Yes, but I need some time to …” Boudvin started to say, but Pierre didn’t let him finish.

“Boudvin, I am dead serious. Get a uniform or whatever. This has to be done today—tomorrow at the latest. I need results as soon as possible.” He paused. “Here are the names of the individuals and their telephone numbers,” he said getting up.

“Monsieur Philippe, as you know, this kind of work demands some ah … oiling here and there, especially on such short notice,” Boudvin said with a smile.

Pierre dropped some money on the table. “This should do it, and stop fucking around with babies. It is not healthy, you old bastard,” he said slamming the door behind him.

CHAPTER 6

_______

Boudvin was relieved when Pierre left. He quickly pocketed the money and headed for his bedroom. The young attaché wasn’t bad, Boudvin thought. He had found out about the warrants on him in Paris but had ignored them for some time, threatening to collect later. That time was now, and considering the little work he had to do, it was worth it. He went to the bedroom and quickly dressed in his customary jeans as the girl watched. As he left, he told the girl that he would be back in a few hours.

The best way to tap the phones was to get into the building where the central terminal was located. He entered the battered truck where he kept his tools of trade—pliers, wires, microphones, and all kinds of equipment.

At least his job wasn’t to monitor the wiretap. All he needed to do was make sure the phone buzzed at both places. He checked; the names on the list were Bukana, the CDR Chairman; Ludovico, a CDR member; and Buimbo of the youth militia. He had to be very careful. These were high-ranking officials. Very well, his mission wasn’t going to be a bed of roses, but he would find a way. Maybe he should have asked for more money.

He had to get to the telephone company and find the central terminal for the phones. He started his truck and headed toward the city. It was about eight o’clock in the morning and there was a lot of traffic. His mind was working rapidly. The only way to enter the central terminal was by getting a key. He had to find a way to duplicate the original.

It wasn’t hard to find the telephone company, which was located behind the main post office. He decided to engage a porter in conversation.

“Hello, monsieur, how is work?” he asked with a smile.

The porter was pleasantly surprised to be called ‘Monsieur,’ so he happily engaged in a conversation with Boudvin. It wasn’t long before Boudvin found out what he wanted to know. There was only one controller in the central terminal that day. He was a young man in his early twenties whose weakness was girls. Maybe he could use the controller’s weakness in his favor. He also found out the controller’s name from the porter.

At about eleven o’clock, Boudvin decided to visit Divonne, a call girl he had befriended. Divonne was a gifted operator. She could pick any man’s pocket in a second, without batting an eye.

They exchanged greetings, and then Boudvin got right to the point. “Divonne, I have a job for you and as usual, I will pay for it.”

Divonne giggled. “Name it, Mr. Married man. Is this something to do with your wife?”

Boudvin seethed. Earlier he had had to deal with Pierre’s intrusion, and now this. Why was everyone prying into his personal life? Didn’t they have anything better to do? “I told you before and I will tell you again, my private life is none of your goddamn business!” he shouted.

Divonne was suddenly alert. She knew this man’s temper and didn’t feel like sampling it today. “Sorry, it’s just that I haven’t seen you for some time and I kind of miss you,” she said apologetically.

Boudvin looked at her for a second and smiled. “Okay, Divonne, apology accepted. The work I have for you shouldn’t be hard, considering your talent,” he said while lighting his cigarette.

Divonne became quiet listening to Boudvin. “There is a young man who works at the telephone exchange center. I want you to pick his keys for me. I will pay after the job is done.”

Divonne smiled. She had done this kind of work many times. Come to think of it, she had met Boudvin after picking his pocket. At the time, she was afraid that he would punish her, but he had simply laughed in admiration. “Anything for you, my dear. When do we start working?” she asked.

Boudvin checked his watch. The young man would probably leave for lunch at noon, so they had less than an hour to get there. “Divonne, go put on your best clothes. You need to meet him before lunchtime. Now get going,” he said urgently.

One thing he knew about these call girls: They had a talent of transforming themselves at a moment’s notice. Divonne was ready in ten minutes, and they got into Boudvin’s truck and drove as they rehearsed their plan. She would invite the telephone controller to lunch and pick his keys before leaving the restaurant, and then pretend to need the bathroom because of a stomachache. She would then leave by the back door and meet Boudvin in his truck, where he would take impressions of all the keys. She would then rejoin the unsuspecting controller.

They arrived at the telephone company at about eleven forty-five, and Divonne approached the porter doing what she did best, swinging her hips left and right. Boudvin watched Divonne as she talked to the porter while pointing to the door of the central terminal. The porter quickly walked to the door and knocked. It wasn’t long before the door was opened by a young man. Boudvin saw the porter say something to the young man and point to Divonne.

* * *

She smiled and walked toward the controller. “Hello, my name is Divonne,” she said in her most seductive voice.

“I am Fabrice. Nice to meet you, Divonne,” the young man said breathlessly, looking at her up and down.

This is going to be easy, she thought. She was always amazed about how some men got hard just by looking at a woman’s curves.

“That’s a nice name, Fabrice. I just started working at the post office and don’t know many people. Would you like to have lunch? My treat,” she said, still smiling.

Fabrice couldn’t believe his luck—a Kinshasa beauty asking to treat him to lunch? “Sure, Mademoiselle Divonne, I will have my break in half an hour.”

“All right then, Fabrice, I will make reservations at Mama’s Kitchen. Do you know it?”

“It’s my favorite restaurant,” he said. At least it was today.

“Later, then,” she said and walked away swinging her hips seductively.

Fabrice closed the door, quickly trying to control the bulge that was building up between his legs.

Divonne walked behind the exchange control center to where Boudvin’s truck was parked.

“How did it go?” he asked anxiously.

She giggled. “Piece of cake. Make sure you park behind the restaurant. I have never seen an easier prey. That Fabrice kid is a horny bastard!”

Boudvin looked at his watch, smiled, and started driving toward the restaurant. They still had a few minutes to wait. “I have been thinking,” he said lighting his cigar. “Keys are normally heavy, so you might as well take a pair of these and switch them while pretending to do whatever. If worse comes to worst and he notices he has different keys, you could laugh it off and check your purse, pretending to be surprised.”

“You are very resourceful, Boudvin. This will make my job much easier. See you behind the restaurant,” she said, stepping out of the truck.

Within a moment she had disappeared around the corner, and Boudvin started the engine and drove slowly to the designated area behind Mama’s Kitchen. He reached under the seat, got his impression kit, and thoroughly oiled it as he waited. There was no room for mistakes.

Boudvin was starting to get impatient when a breathless Divonne opened the door and entered the truck. “What took you so long?” asked a relieved Boudvin, taking the keys from her.

“The guy is like a cassette player. He doesn’t shut up but the switch was perfect; I will tell you later. Please hurry up,” she said as Boudvin busied himself with taking impressions.

Luckily, there were only three keys, and he quickly finished his work and gave her back the keys. He reached inside his pocket and gave her a bundle of cash. “Thanks, Divonne, this is for you,” he said as he handed her the money. “Find out if anybody works the night shift and ask him about his work. I will call you later,” he said before dismissing her with a gesture.

Divonne stepped out of the truck and disappeared through the back door of the restaurant.

* * *

Boudvin started the engine and drove toward his home; he had some work to do. Monsieur Philippe had said the job was urgent. He cursed as he engaged the gears. He arrived at his house shortly after one o’clock. The work he was about to embark on was precise, and he didn’t need any unnecessary interruptions.

He entered his house and kissed the young girl before he sat down to eat. “Say, chérie, how about you go to visit your sister for the afternoon?” he asked, squeezing her hand.

“No problem. I will see you later.” She sounded sad for some reason.

Boudvin felt sorry for the little teenager, blind to the ways of this world. He shook his head and got up. “Get ready. I will serve myself,” he said, pushing her toward the bedroom.

He got a plate in the kitchen, filled it with the rice, meat, and vegetables the girl had prepared, and headed for the dining room. One thing he appreciated about the Congolese girls was their cooking. He opened a bottle of beer, sat down, and started eating slowly while thinking about his plan.

The girl surprised him when she came out of the bedroom; she was well-dressed and looked older with the makeup on. He gave her some francs and told her to take her time coming back. “Chérie, do you still have the spare key?” he asked.

She nodded then kissed him goodbye before she left the house.

Boudvin quickly cleaned the utensils and headed for the truck. He retrieved the imprints and took them to his house. Then he brought in the toolbox and closed all doors before he started. The work wasn’t easy since he had to use hard steel and a milling machine, which he kept in the garage. “These things were much easier in Europe,” he thought to himself.

First things first. He walked to where the phone was in the bedroom and dialed.

“Hello?’ Divonne answered in an anxious voice.

“Yes, Divonne, what did you find out?” he asked.

There was a pause on the other end. “Chéri, I have some bad news. There is a guard at the phone center who works all night,” she said, “but Fabrice said that they use the automatic exchange at night, whatever that means.”

Boudvin thought about the new complication. He would have to knock down the guard.

“Good girl. He didn’t suspect anything, did he?” he enquired.

“Oh, no, I told him I would meet him later. Is there anything else you wanted to know?”

Boudvin laughed out loud. “Yes. When are you going to give him a ride on the horse?”

She laughed. “He gets paid at the end of the month. That’s a week from now. I guess he can wait that long. It will be interesting, since I told him that I work for the post office.”

“I can’t wait to hear how you’ll get out of that one,” Boudvin said, laughing.

“I’ll let you know.” She was still laughing when she hung up the phone.

Divonne had always amazed him. It was all business for her. He laughed when he remembered the first time he had made love to her, only to wake up with no money and a note apologizing about the cash and promising to pay him later. She was a true genius, a girl that no man could get angry with. He put the phone down and proceeded with his preparations.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 109 17
6 0 2
Unearthing the Most Secret Crime Stories
2.8K 201 200
Real crime stories, paranormal stories, and conspiracy theories are discussed.