The Lastborn: A Middle Earth...

By GerithorDunedain

Sauron, the greatest evil Middle Earth has ever seen, has arisen once more in Mordor, the land where shadows... More

Trailer
Cast of Characters
Chapter 1: The Ranger
Chapter 2: The Darkness in the Forest
Chapter 3: Home
Chapter 4: Evil Tidings
Chapter 5: Blood and Burning
Chapter 6: The Guardian
Chapter 7: Shadow Rises
Chapter 8: Wights and Trolls
Chapter 9: A Brave Rescue
Chapter 10: Hunted
Chapter 11: Flight or Fight
Chapter 12: The Warrior
Chapter 14: Reunion
Chapter 15: The Heroes Go Forth
Part 1 Epilogue
Intermission and Thanks
Part 2: Prologue
Chapter 16: A Revelation... And a Dragon
Chapter 17: The Wrath of the Dragon
Chapter 18: And So It Begins
Chapter 19: A Memory
Chapter 20: Foreseen
Chapter 21: Desperation and a Plan
Chapter 22: True Wisdom
Chapter 23: The Ambush
Chapter 24: The Cave
Chapter 25: Charadrius
Chapter 26: A Shadow in Angmar
Chapter 27: An Unexpected Ally
Chapter 28: Warg Attack
Chapter 29: Reunion
Chapter 30: Into Carn Dum
Chapter 31: The End of All
Chapter 32: The Ceremony
Chapter 33: Parting of Ways
Epilogue
End Credits
Sequel
Attention
A Strange Request
1k Votes!
The Lastborn Soundtrack
Undergoing Editing
COMPLETE Soundtrack
Big News

Chapter 13: Safe at Last

432 54 41
By GerithorDunedain

Gerithor stayed awake all night, keeping watch over their small camp. It was now a little before dawn. The forest was cloaked in fog, and it was dead silent. He looked out into the trees, trying to distract himself by watching small animals scamper about on the forest floor.

After a moment, he turned and looked at Sarina. She had slept soundly all night. He went over quietly and knelt down next to her, looking to make sure her burn was healing. It was still sore looking, but it was definitely better than it had been the previous night. He gently pulled the cloak up to cover her more and rose back to his feet. He moved over to Alif, who he had set a little closer to the fire to keep warm. The baby was awake and smiled at Gerithor. He picked him up and put a finger over his lips.
"Shhh, our friend is still sleeping. We wouldn't want to wake her." He pointed over to Sarina and tilted Alif so he could see her. Alif smiled bigger and looked knowingly at Gerithor, as if he understood.

He went a little ways from the camp, but still close enough to see it. It had been days now since had been able to be alone with his thoughts.

Just then Gerithor heard the sound of faint hoofbeats. His heart constricted in his chest, the feeling of fear returning to him. He ran back to camp and knelt down next to Sarina again. He shook her gently but with a sense of urgency.

She opened her eyes slowly, letting out a quiet yawn.

"It's morning already?" She asked, blinking the sleep away.

"Aye, but we have to move," Gerithor whispered. "There's a horseman in the woods."

Sarina immediately got up and threw Gerithor's cloak around herself. She followed Gerithor as he ran toward a small dip in the land. He laid down flat in the gully and she moved next to him. He put a finger to his lips and motioned for her to stay. He slowly crawled up the side of the gully and looked around. This part of the forest was less dense than the rest, so he was able to see for some distance. He heard the hoofbeats get nearer and nearer, and his heart began to beat faster. He slowly reached for an arrow, feeling the barbed feathers against his fingertips.
Suddenly, the horseman appeared from behind a tree.

He let out a sigh of relief as he recognized the rider. He smiled in delight and stood up.

"You maggot, I'm over here!" He said in a deep Orc voice. He laughed as the rider spun around on his horse, nearly falling off.

"Gerithor!" Eldahir said when he recognized him. He jumped from his horse and they embraced each other, laughing with joy.

"Why are you out here?" Gerithor said, looking at his friend.

"After the attack, I was sent to warn Rivendell. Having done that I went out looking for you! And here you are!" Eldahir clapped Gerithor on the back.

"Well you took your good old time, didn't you?" Gerithor looked his friend in mock seriousness.

"Hey now, I came as fast as I could," Eldahir said, pretending to be hurt. "Don't insult my integrity."

"Oh stop it," Gerithor laughed and tousled his friend's hair. "Sarina, it's safe to come out!"
Sarina climbed cautiously up the gully, looking out at Gerithor and his friend. She seemed to think it was safe and carried Alif over to Gerithor.

"Woah, what happened while I was gone?" He said, looking at Sarina and Alif. He looked back at Gerithor and wiggled his eyebrows, wearing a roguish grin.

"That's my nephew, you remember him." Gerithor rolled his eyes. "And this is a friend I met on the road. Sarina, meet Eldahir, a braver ranger than I," he smiled kindly at his friend.

"It is my greatest pleasure to meet you," Eldahir flourished his mudstained cloak and bowed deeply. Gerithor rolled his eyes again and pulled his friend up playfully.

"Get up," he said, trying to maintain a serious face. Eldahir turned red and looked at Sarina sheepishly.

"The pleasure is all mine," she grinned and returned with a curtsy. Eldahir laughed and smiled at her.

"Well, now that introductions have been made I think we better be moving," Gerithor said, looking at his friends. "How far is Rivendell from here?"

"Not more than an hour on horseback," Eldahir said.

"Well that horse looks sturdy, but not big enough for three full grown adults and a baby," Gerithor said, smirking at his friend.

"That's why I've come," said Caledorn, emerging from the trees on a midnight black horse. Sarina stepped back in fear. Gerithor put a hand on her shoulder comfortingly, but realized that if he didn't know Caledorn he would have been frightened at his appearance as well.

"Don't worry, he's a friend of mine too." He had to admit, Caledorn didn't really look like he was on their side. His black armor made him look menacing, and the black cloth mask covering the lower part of his face didn't help. He wasn't surprised that the elf was able to remain undetected so long, he seemed to be good at that sort of thing.

"I am Caledorn, milady," he bowed slightly in his saddle. "We must make haste, evil creatures still roam the forests." He offered Sarina a hand up. She looked at Gerithor for a moment in apprehension, then hesitantly accepted and mounted up behind the dark clad elf. Gerithor handed her Alif, then jumped lightly up onto Eldahir's horse, and they set off eastward. They traveled for about an hour, and still there was no sign of the enemy. Gerithor hoped that they were safe, but he knew he would feel uneasy until they were behind friendly walls once more. Soon they reached a cliff, and Gerithor gasped when he saw what lie beyond it. Silver waterfalls rushed down to meet a river that wound lazily through an autumnal valley below. Tall ivory spires rose out from amongst the trees, sentinels watching over the land. A House sat in the middle of the valley, and even from this distance the ranger could sense that warmth and comfort awaited within. He knew immediately that it was Rivendell, the Last Homely House in the West, and his heart stirred with a longing to be there. He hoped they'd hurry.

It took them another hour to reach the bridge that led into Rivendell. A blond haired elf stood atop the gate, keeping watch. He saw the small group and quickly moved to open the gate. The two horses trotted into the courtyard, hooves clopping loudly on the white bricks. Two blond haired elves ran to take their horses, and the group dismounted.

Gerithor looked around with barely contained excitement. Rivendell. He remembered his cousin Aragorn telling him stories about the place, but the stories fell utterly short of reality. It was breathtakingly beautiful. He walked over to a tall statue of an Elven warrior, and looked at it for a moment. He had always wanted to visit the Elves, but he never thought he'd get to come here.

He was interrupted from his thoughts when a tall, dark-haired elf came into the courtyard, followed by two elves that looked like younger versions of him. He turned to Gerithor.
"Mae govannen, Gi nathlam hí." The elf said politely. Gerithor understood that this was a greeting, and responded in kind.

"Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo," he said respectfully and bowed.

"Your elvish is excellent, Dunedan," he smiled slightly and returned the bow. "I am Lord Elrond, and these are my sons, Elladan and Elrohir." As he pointed to each they both bowed. "You must be Gerithor. Your friend has spoken highly of you, and indeed, even if he hadn't it would say much of your character that you brought your nephew all this way when in such danger."

"I'm flattered, my lord, but I had help," he waved Sarina over. She smiled at Elrond and bowed. "Allow me to introduce Sarina, the one who saved my life and allowed me to make it here."

"Well met, Sarina. It is indeed fortunate that Gerithor found you, whether by accident or design." He looked at them both, then at Alif, who Sarina held in her arms. "And your nephew is safe and sound as well. Your father will be proud of you."

"Is my father still here?" Gerithor looked at Elrond with hope.

"Yes, he is. He did not know you would be coming so soon however. Otherwise, I am sure he would have been the first to greet you. He's resting in his quarters. He was badly injured and is only just now returning to full health."

"Can I see him?" Gerithor asked pleadingly.

"Yes, in good time. We must show you to your quarters and get you settled in first. Elladan, take Gerithor to his quarters. Elrohir, show Lady Sarina to hers." The one who Gerithor assumed was Elladan walked over to him, although he couldn't be sure. They both had the same light brown hair, and their faces were almost identical. He later learned that Elladan had brown eyes and Elrohir had blue, but he didn't know that at the moment.

"Follow me." The elf led him towards a long building that stood to the side of what must've been the main hall.

"So you travelled all the way here with a child, and being hunted the whole way?" Elladan looked at Gerithor. Gerithor nodded. The elf was clearly impressed, and pressed Gerithor to tell him the details of the trip. By the time he finished, they were sitting in the room that had been assigned to him.

"That's quite a tale," Elladan said with a smile. "One for the songs I'd say."

"I have no doubt you have a few tales of your own," Gerithor said as he looked back at the elf with a grin.

"Yes I do, although none of them have the same desperate quality that yours carries." Elladan laughed lightly.

"Well I could've done without that part myself," Gerithor said and joined in laughing. They both laughed for a moment, then Elladan asked another question.

"That woman who travels with you, who is she?"

Gerithor was taken a little by surprise, and he didn't know exactly how to answer. "She's from Bree. I happened upon her on the road, and she offered me help. She saved my life. Her parents died when she was very young. Other than that I cannot say, for I do not know myself."

"You keep strange company. Especially since you don't even know them!" Elladan laughed a little again.

They talked for a long while, and soon lost track of what time it was.

===============================

Caledorn had slipped away from the group as soon as possible. He stood now in the garden, waiting for someone.

That someone soon arrived. She was an elf, with dark blond hair and green eyes that almost matched the color of Caledorn's. She was clad in green and carried two daggers at her side.

"Ariel, you've arrived," Caledorn looked at her without emotion. Ariel was an elf who traveled all over. She held no particular allegiance, but Caledorn had met her here in Rivendell and had tasked her with scouting Angmar's troop movements.

"Yes, and I have news." She fidgeted with one of her daggers nervously. For some reason everyone was nervous around Caledorn, especially when his face was covered. He decided in this situation fear was of no use to him, and pulled back his hood and lowered his mask, letting his dark hair blow softly in the wind. He admitted it felt good on this skin.
The elf named Ariel seemed slightly surprised by his appearance. Everyone did. She barely showed it though, and began her report.
"Arnakhor has left Angmar with an army several thousands strong. They're marching south to reclaim Fornost. I warned the Dunedain at Annuminas and they are moving to Fornost to defend it, but they alone won't be enough." She shifted a little and looked up expectantly at Caledorn.

He didn't immediately speak, but stood in thought for a moment. He finally spoke.
"Thank you milady. I think I have a plan now."
Ariel looked at him, waiting for him to explain. But he didn't. He just looked at her until she began to look very uncomfortable. He had to admit, she hid everything well. But he had an almost inhuman power of perception, and was able to read people almost to the point of knowing their thoughts before they said them.
He noticed a subtle change in her demeanor. She was getting more confident.

"What exactly is your plan?" She said with a hint of stubbornness in her voice.

"Why would I tell you?" He looked at her with piercing green eyes. Her lighter green ones squinted back in defiance.

"Because I'd like to know, that's why."
He liked this one, he decided. Very rarely could someone stand up to him, and it was refreshing when someone did.

"Very well," he said, acting like he was planning on telling her all along. Instead of continuing though, he stood in silence for a moment longer. Ariel looked at him and raised an eyebrow. Finally he spoke.

"We're going to cut the head off the snake."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.3K 1.9K 22
[ COMPLETED ] "You basically paired them! who do you think you are? Cupid?!" Gyuvin, a high school student, desperately tries to hide that he had fee...
27.3K 890 15
Percy Jackson Fan Fiction. I do not own any of the characters except Raven. Raven is an ordinary fangirl, one day her prayers are answered and she...
1.8K 100 10
As a carrier, Gulf Keenan Mendoza's live a very normal and peaceful life with his siblings but it quickly flipped 180 when he met Mew Sylvester Alcan...
68.3K 1.2K 12
What would happen if Magneto found out that Quicksilver is his son after the xmen apocalypse ?