Once Again

By paradisewallflower

Alison Vincent leads a normal, ordinary life in Atlanta. What many people don't know about the so-called 'it... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 7

4.2K 134 13
By paradisewallflower

(Ali's P.O.V)

Sitting in history, my last lesson of the day, I decide that I'm breaking up with Dereck at the end of school. I can't keep pretending that I don't like Dylan because honestly, I do. I really do.

What can I say to Dereck though? Maybe pretend I'm an undercover agent and say it wouldn't be safe for him? Yeah, because that's so believable, Ali - note the sarcasm.

Okay, how about I just tell him the truth? Tell him I like someone else? Honesty is always the best policy, right? Yes, I'm going to tell him the truth. If not for me, then I'll do it for Dylan.

*

After class was over I reluctantly make my way over to Dereck's locker. I have to be quick because Dylan said he's giving me a ride home. He's probably waiting for me outside because he knows what I'm about to do; I told him it would be best if he waited at a safe distance.

Approaching Dereck's locker, I see that he's speaking to some of his football friends. Jake and Alex are there too and a few other guys whose names I do not know. Okay, maybe this isn't the best time, I'll just turn around and tiptoe my way back to Dylan, hoping Dereck doesn't notice me.

"Ali," I hear him shout. Crap. Okay, okay, compose yourself Alison. This is it, this is where you tell him that you don't think you should be together anymore.

I turn around slowly and notice Dereck is already behind me. I look back at Jake and he gives me a nod of acknowledgement and then a cheeky smirk, Alex just stands there and smiles nervously.

Jake Zabinski is the kind of typical high school man-whore you see in movies. He's got the money, he's got the looks and he's always got a girl. Jake Zabinski, Alex Chandler, Elliot Waters and now Dylan are like royalty - if you will - at NAHS.

Everywhere they go they have girls swooning at their feet, only they don't really acknowledge most of them which makes the foolish girls want them even more... I know right?

Alex and Elliot are more like the softies of the group. They're both rich and super attractive, only, unlike Jake, they actually care about girls' feelings.

"Ali," Dereck snaps, bringing me back to reality, "Where were you at lunch?" he asks once again.

Jeeze, why do all the men in my life have to be so protective over me? I can take care of myself.

"Um, homework," I lie. He cocks his head to the side and arches a brow as if expecting me to tell him the truth. I close my eyes and sigh, here goes nothing.

"Dereck, I don't think we should see each other anymore," I mutter softly, trying to let him down easy. I look deep into his eyes and notice his expression change, his grey eyes darken like there is a storm brewing inside them. Double crap. He runs his hand through his thick brown hair and stares at me intently.

"Why?" he asks me.

"I just don't think we're right for each other," I answer, not being able to look at him now. Instead, I keep my gaze focused on my intertwined hands which have all of a sudden become abnormally interesting. I can't bring myself to look at his face.

"You found someone else didn't you?" he asks me. Without being able to speak I give him a sheepish nod. Bringing myself to finally look at his face, I notice his jaw tighten.

"Who is it?" he asks, now angrily. "It's that son of a bitch isn't it? Ethan Chase?"

I stand still, not even being able to nod anymore but he's already established that he's right. Suddenly he starts marching his way down the long corridor, heading towards the outside of the school, where Dylan is probably waiting for me. Triple crap.

I chase him down the hallway and shout his name. He ignores me and bursts through the front door. I spot Dylan. Oh no, what's Dereck going to do?

"You girlfriend stealing son of a bitch," Dereck shouts, and before Dylan can even turn around Dereck throws a punch at him. I see Dylan's face instantly turn from calm to angry as he turns to look at Dereck. I can't help but feel guilty. I don't want them to do this, I'm not worth the fight.

Running towards them I push Dylan away from Dereck and hold both his arms. He looks down at me and just like that, his angry face is replaced by a softer expression.

"Dylan please don't do this, I don't want to see you get hurt," I plead.

He just continues to stare at me, brown eyes to hazel ones, but as soon as he looks back up at Dereck his expression becomes an angry one again.

"Why the hell can't you just find your own girl? One that doesn't already have an owner?" shouts Dereck.

An owner? Does he think I'm some kind of dog? I see Dylan's face become even redder as he tries to pull away from me.

"An owner?" Dylan spits, "she's not a freaking dog, Dereck. She's a human being."

We are now surrounded by an inquiring crowd which makes me feel uncomfortable. I hate being in situations like this and I can't help but think that it's all my fault.

"Dylan please, let's just go," I plead once again in an attempt to reason with him.

"You know what? You're not even worth it," Dylan hisses with enough venom in his voice to kill a whole herd of buffaloes.

"That's it, you run off with your little bitch," Dereck spits at him.

Before I can even move, Dylan is already charging at Dereck and he tackles him to the ground, throwing a hard punch in his face, and then another.

"Ethan Chase, Dereck Johnson, stop fighting this instant!" shouts Principal Bridgewater. Someone thank the heavens he's here to save the day.

He manages to pull Dylan off a now bleeding Dereck and keep them apart. Soon the crowd begins to disperse and Dylan gets swallowed up by the school building, along with the principal and Dereck.

I just stand there utterly shocked, not knowing what to say. Unable to move a muscle. Suddenly I feel someone's grip on my hand. I turn around in surprise and notice that it's Ava.

"Ali, are you okay?" she asks worriedly. I just stare at her blankly for a while and then answer.

"What are you still doing here?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"I was waiting for Elliot to finish practise," she explains.

"Oh, where is he now?" I ask.

"His mom came to pick him up, he had a doctors appointment," Ava informs me, "Come on, let's get you home Ali."

She takes my hand into her much softer one and leads me over to her car. I slide into the leather seat and let my mind float back to Dylan. How is he? Did he get into too much trouble? I rest my head on the seat and close my eyes in an attempt to block everything out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Dylan's P.O.V)

As I sit comfortably in the principal's office I let my mind wonder back to Ali. I feel so bad having just left her there. I wonder how she's getting home, I was meant to drive her but now I'm here, so obviously I can't. I decide to take out my phone and text her.

How are you getting home?

Before I could hit send I hear principal Bridgewater clear his throat. I look up and see him glaring at me with his hand out.

"Phone please," he states in a sharp tone.

"But-" and before I can speak he cuts me off.

"Now," he threatens in his I'm-not-to-be-messed-with tone. I reluctantly hand it over.

"Mr Chase, please do try to pay attention when I speak to you. You were causing an awful lot of trouble back there," he now speaks in his calmer voice.

"It wasn't just me," I snap and turn to glare at Dereck only to see that he's already scowling at me. The bastard.

*

Finally the principal lets me go, luckily without getting into too much trouble; only a weeks worth of detentions. Rushing through the hallways, past the blue metal lockers and to the front door of the school, I abruptly bump into someone very unexpected.

"Haley? W-what are you doing here?" I stutter.

Haley is my ex-girlfriend, she broke up with me about a year ago but then kept begging me to get back together because after the break-up, I was practically drowning in girls, and one other reason. She became extremely annoying and followed me everywhere like a lost puppy, hence the fact why I moved schools. Well, she was one of the reasons why.

I've lived in Atlanta since I had to leave Arizona a few years ago, and little did I know that Ali was also here. Weird right? It must be some kind of sign or something.

"Oh, so you do remember me," she speaks, trying but failing, to sound seductive. Whilst she runs her finger down my chest, I follow her gaze before hastily grabbing it and putting her hand back where it belongs, away from me.

"What's wrong baby? Don't wanna play?" she whispers in my ear. I scowl at her and take a step back.

"You didn't answer my question." I snap.

"I'm transferring here," she states simply, with an evil grin on her face.

"What?" I ask, just to make sure I heard her correctly. This can't be happening, what did I do wrong to deserve this? I know she's doing this to me on purpose.

"You heard me," she grins, taking a step closer in my direction. I just stand still, glaring icily at the girl in front of me.

"It'll be fun seeing you again everyday, babe." she smiles before pecking me on the cheek and parading off down the hallway. This isn't good. This so isn't good.

I run a hand through my thick brown hair in exasperation and try to relax, taking a deep breath I turn on my heels and head for the door on the hunt for Ali.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Ali's P.O.V)

"So what was going on between Ethan and Dereck?" Ava asks me once we're finally in my room.

I hesitate a little but decide to just tell her, of course leaving out the fact that Ethan is actually Dylan.

"I kind of broke up with Dereck," I say shyly and wait for Ava's reaction. She looks almost... relieved?

"Why do I have the feeling that you're actually relieved rather than upset?" I ask her; curiosity taking over me. She looks at me sympathetically and shrugs.

"I don't know Ali, I've just never liked him after what he did to you." she says. I look at her skeptically, there's something she isn't telling me but I decide not to push it.

"But what does Ethan have to do with all of this?" she asks me. Oh no, I was hoping she would have forgotten about him. What do I say? Do I tell her the truth? No, that could be dangerous. Think Ali, think.

"Dereck thinks that I broke up with him because of Ethan," I blurt, which isn't entirely a lie. I scan Ava's face for some sort of understanding on what she's thinking. I think she bought it. But then again, her next five words prove that looks can be deceiving.

"Why would he think that?" her raised brow displaying just how curious she is. Crap. Okay, make something up Ali.

"I don't know," I speak nonchalantly and let out an exaggerated sigh. Her face however, shows that she's not fully convinced. What is she, like a detective? Just give it up Ava.

"Anyway, enough about me. How's you and Elliot?" I ask, trying to change the subject. Her face instantly lights up at the sound of his name and I know I'm in the clear... for now.

Ava tells me all about her and Elliot's relationship and the amazing dates they've went on. It seems like she seriously likes him.

After watching a few episodes of Criminal Minds Ava's mom called, telling her it was time to go home and so, she did.

Finally, now that I'm alone, thoughts of Dylan come rushing back. Why hasn't he called me? Is he okay?

I decide to call him and just as the phone starts ringing, someone bursts through my door. Dylan. As soon as his eyes come to rest on me he gives me a small smile and sits beside me on my bed.

"Ali, I'm so sorry about today, I know I royally screwed up. How did you get home?"

"You should have listened to me Dylan, I told you to leave it and you ignored me," I say, trying to hide my disappointment in him. He really should have just let it go.

"I know, and I wanted to but when he called you a bitch.. I... I just snapped, I'm sorry Ali," he answers, in his soothing voice.

I feel my heart weaken at his words, he's so sweet and caring, I could just sit here and just listen to his voice throughout the whole of eternity. I know he shouldn't have hit Dereck, but then Dereck shouldn't have aggravated him in the first place. I can't possibly stay mad at Dylan anyway.

I lift my hand up to caress his soft face. He stares deeply into my green eyes and I back into his sandy brown ones. He closes into me and my heart starts racing as I think that he's about to kiss me. Much to my dismay, he gives me a chaste kiss on the forehead and not where I would have preferred. Why doesn't he just kiss me already?

He abruptly pulls back and I feel his eyes examining every inch of my face and I find myself doing the same back to him.

His soft gaze makes my heart melt a little and I can't help but feel happy right now. Happy that I have my best friend back. Happy that he's okay. Happy that I don't have to live without him anymore.

"You're so beautiful," he whispers to me, making my cheeks turn a bright shade of pink.

I can't believe I've been able to live without him for so long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Dylan's P.O.V)

Staring intently into Ali's bewitching blue eyes I instantly get lost in them. She's the most perfect girl I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

"You're so beautiful," I whisper and notice her cheeks turn pink. She's also thinking about something which makes me curious.

"What are you thinking?" I ask her softly.

"About how I was able to live without you for so long," she answers me in that angelic voice of hers.

I feel like I could just stay here with her forever. I want her to be officially mine, my girlfriend, but I don't know how she'd react if I asked her.

"What are you thinking?" It's now her turn to ask me. Should I tell her? Should I ask her to be my girlfriend?

"Same as you," I say. Stop being such a freaking coward, just ask her already.

No, it's too soon. I don't want to freak her out or anything. I want to take things slow, one step at a time. I know that if we rush into things it could get overwhelming so I'm just going to have to wait for the right time. Right now I just want to enjoy the moment.

Pulling Ali in close to me, I wrap my arms tightly around her warm body and inhale her heavenly scent of strawberries and vanilla. Damn it feels good to have her in my arms.

"You didn't tell me how you got home today," I mumble softly.

"Why are you so curious about that?" she asks me with a hint of amusement in her voice.

"Because I worry," I say truthfully, "I don't want you being out alone."

"You're so protective over me," she whispers with a light smile touching her lips.

"I know," I say simply, kissing her soft forehead once more.

The feel of the heat from her skin on my lips sends uncontrollable tingles throughout me; I wish I could just kiss her already, but like I said, one step at a time. I pull her in closer so our bodies are practically one and she snuggles into me. My eyelids become unexpectedly heavy and soon we both drift off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Ali's P.O.V)

I wake up to the sound of a phone buzzing. It isn't mine. I lazily open my eyes and notice that it's Dylan's, but he isn't here. Where is he? Should I see what it is? Maybe it's important. I scan the room to make sure no-one is around and quickly grab his phone.

I notice that it's a text but I don't recognise the number and he doesn't have it in his contacts. I open the text.

I enjoyed seeing you last night babe, maybe we can make it happen again ;)

What the- who did he meet last night? Suddenly a shot of jealously runs throughout me. I know I shouldn't be because we're not even together but I just thought... I don't know what I thought.

I throw his phone back onto my bed and glance at the clock. I should be getting ready for school. Sluggishly I get up off my bed and head into the bathroom. Dragging my lazy body over to the shower, I switch it on and let the warm cascading water envelope me.

Who is that text from? Did he meet a girl? I know I shouldn't be jealous but hell, he made me break up with my boyfriend, clearly there is something going on between us isn't there?

I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking things like I always do. Maybe I'm just his best friend and maybe that's all he'll ever see me as.

But maybe the text isn't even from a girl, maybe it was from a friend? Yeah, because boys really speak to each other like that.

Unless... is he gay? Is Dylan gay? No, of course not, if he was I would have known. Noah would have pointed that out already, maybe I should ask him since he's more um... experienced.

After spending about ten minutes over thinking things in the shower, I'm finally in my large closet looking for some presentable clothes to wear. I pick out a pair of black skinny jeans, a vest top with a picture of a dream catcher and throw a light blue denim shirt over it. I pair this up with my combat boots and decide to just leave my hair naturally wavy.

'Beep beep!'

I hear this noise coming from outside. I smile to myself and head for the door where Ava is unpatiently waiting in her camaro. I'll ask Dylan about the text as soon as I see him, let's see what he has to say.

---------------------------------

A/N: Don't forget to vote and comment, it only takes a second but it makes my entire day :) Thank you for making it this far into the story. I love each and every one of you x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 93 46
Ebony Michaels has always been under her brother's shadow. No one recognizes her, the only person they see is her brother Erix. Her life takes an u...
1.6K 31 24
Olivia's world gets turned upside-down when she has to move in with a family of strangers- her biological family, who has been looking for her for ov...
121K 4.3K 32
Aren't one sided crushes fun? NOT! 18 year old Melody Jenkins has spent the last 3 years of high school crushing on one guy, Jake Kensington, who see...
664 57 47
In high school, Riley Evans was the most popular girl in Atlanta. She had the popular jock boyfriend, was the captain of the cheer team, had a large...