Birth Row

Von lymanfish

Clara Gannett is rich, famous and beautiful. She also has an axe to grind. Leonard Watkins murdered four of h... Mehr

Birth Row
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Ten
Part Eleven
Part Thirteen

Part Twelve

158 0 0
Von lymanfish

The Warden approached Watkins and said, “Sir, it’s been three hours now since we began the incursion operations. The infiltration units for police and communication positions are reporting success. Utilities and the airports are next. We have confirmation that the military bases are loyal to us after your earlier site visits, Sir. I’m told we should have support armor entering the city shortly.”

Then the Warden added, “Quite frankly, Sir I’m optimistic.”

Watkins beamed with pleasure and said, “Excellent Warden, continue the operation and give me updates every half hour. I share your optimism.”

The Warden walked back into the Governor’s conference room that they had now filled with communications equipment to establish a command post. In the background, Holly was busy laying out food for the men.

Watkins pointed to Governor Tinley and said, “Princess, remove his gag.”

Then he said to the Governor, “Gov, no need to follow my commands anymore, act completely you from now on. I want to talk to you.”

As soon as Clara removed his gag Governor Tinley shouted out, “You’ve just kidnapped a sitting Governor. You’ll never get away with this!”

Clara watched Governor Tinley’s face fill with an anger she had never seen before as he yelled and struggled against the duct tape that bound him to his leather chair.

“Clara,” said the Governor, “You used to be someone I could trust, what happened to you?”

“She’s with me now Gov, that’s what happened,” interrupted Watkins.

Then he turned to Clara and said, “Princess, toss me the smokes.”

Clara removed a cigarette for herself then threw the pack across the room. Watkins deftly caught it and lit one. He stepped close to the Governor, dragged in deeply and blew the smoke in his face saying,

“And yes, we will get away with it.”

“We should have let you die a long time ago,” Retorted the Governor.

“That’s right,” said Watkins, “but you didn’t, instead you decided to play God, and now you have to deal with the consequences. All of you.” 

Clara stood at the far end of the Governor’s office watching with mild interest as the two men argued. She had been in this office many times in the past as an invited guest. That’s why it was so easy to gain entrance this time. The governor’s guards had been either turned or killed. The ones who turned would now do her beloved’s bidding. So it would be for everyone who lived in Lincoln, turn or die.

Her love had promised her to be rebirthed and join him as a young woman sharing his new kingdom. Life Renewal Technologies had a facility in Lincoln that was originally built to handle prisoners.

Renewed youth had disgusted her before, but now she looked forward to it. Age had brought wisdom, so she thought, but now she only wanted youth so she could be attractive to him. No one else mattered to her anymore except him. She would do anything to be his Princess.

“I’m glad to see you’re still wearing your prison uniform, Mr. Watkins. You’re going to need it, because you’re going back to a cell,” said the Governor. “Before long the National Guard will be here and then you’ll get a lesson in the real use of power. If you let me go now, I’ll intervene and we can avoid any large scale bloodshed. I know that somewhere inside you is a rational man. Let me talk to him. Let me reason with him.”

“Sorry Gov, that person died in prison ninety years ago. People like you wanted to punish people like me and you played God to do it. But the side effect you didn’t count on was creating a natural selection for criminals. You don’t realize it yet, but I’m the first of a new ruling class. Survival of the fittest is back with a vengeance, and you better be ready to be part of the winners, or become fertilizer.”

“You know this is going to end badly for you and your people, but you don’t care, do you?” The Governor said as he nodded toward the other people in the room.

“So what do you know, life isn’t fair,” replied Watkins. “I served 156 years in prison. Hardly seems worth the effort for killing those four shitbirds. Men who killed twice that got a hundred years less time because they didn’t kill rich people. I figure I’ve got a lot of killing to catch up on.”

Then Watkins waved his hand and said, “Bring our guest over to the window so he can see the show.”

With that command two of the guards lifted the governor’s chair and carried him to one of the large balcony windows then pushed him within inches of the glass.

Moments later four tanks rumbled down the street in front of the Capitol building. Sitting on top of each one were four men dressed in green prison jumpsuits. All of them carried automatic weapons.

Wide-eyed, the Governor turned in his chair as far as his bindings would allow and said to Watkins, “You’re going to use the military against the citizens?”

“Only the ones I don’t like.”

“You’re a monster.”

“That’s right, a real live Frankenstein,” Watkins said in a deadpan voice, “and you created me.”

“You won’t get away with it.”

“You said that before, Gov, except this time you don’t sound as convinced about it. Those tanks look pretty menacing down on the street, if you ask me. We have tanks and so much more thanks to Colonel Condon and his friends.”

“You’ll be tried as a war criminal once the federal military gets here.”

“First it was the National Guard, now it’s the federal military. Face it Gov, you’re out of options. We have the police, the National Guard Armory and the Air Force Reserve Base in Lincoln working for us now. I’ve already visited them and recruited the people I need. Being the Governor, or ex-Governor, now that I’m in charge, you had to know that there are nuclear weapons on the Air Force base. The federal boys won’t dare risk a nuclear war on U.S. soil. Like I said before, it’s survival of the fittest and my kind just jumped ahead of yours on the food chain.”

“Why are you doing this, what do you want?” asked the Governor.

“World domination,” Watkins calmly replied.

“From Nebraska?” replied the Governor.

“For now, I have everything I need right here in Lincoln. I’m a patient man. I have lots of time.”

“Even with nuclear weapons,” the Governor said, “you won’t win, and the Federals can’t let you win. You’re just dooming yourself and everyone else here to death.”

 “Winning?” laughed Watkins, “Who said anything about winning? No one wants trouble anymore. If I tell them that we want to negotiate a peace treaty and we won’t bother anyone outside of Nebraska then they’ll leave us alone. Oh, they’ll harass us with threatening messages and try to get spies into our ranks. But, they won’t risk nuclear war by attacking us.”

“You’re underestimating them, Mr. Watkins. And you’re risking the lives of thousands of people in the process.”

“Hardly,” replied Watkins, “Maybe fifty years ago the federals in Washington would’ve been itching for a fight, but not anymore. There are too many other things to worry about besides Lincoln, Nebraska. There are droughts inland, floods on the coast, toxic waste, rogue nuclear nations, homeless riots and The Oil Wars, not to mention that anyone with a 3-D printer and a twisted mind is making custom bombs.”

Watkins ended his speech with, “Everyone is worn down. Sure, the Federals have advanced military technology, but people are still people. Most of them just want a roof, a bed and a good meal. No one wants another war.”

The governor took a long pause, and then after a deep breath said, “We’ve obviously misjudged you Mr. Watkins. I can see now that your plan has merits. If you cut me loose I’ll help you negotiate with the Federals. I know them, I can help.”

“I’d like to trust you, Gov,” said Watkins, “I really would, but you’re too strong willed and I know you would turn on me at some point. It’s best to get the unpleasantness over with now.”

“Cut him loose,” Watkins added, “then take him out back and shoot him…and don’t get any blood on the chair, I like that chair.”

Governor Tinley struggled, but was no match for the riot squad. His screams dimmed as they dragged him farther away from the office.

Watkins called out, “Warden, set up a line to Washington, let’s get this process started.”

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

96.2K 3.3K 42
[READ Have Vengeance FIRST] "Long time no see." "Fuck you." ⎻⎻⎻⎻⎻⎻⎻⎻⎻⎻ After three years, Alyona finds herself back in New York after fleeing from th...
12.3K 658 37
The last thing US Marshal Jasper expects to find after a gunfight with a band of outlaws is a woman. She's dressed like a man, she swears like a man...
194 57 46
Clara Molino is far from a perfect warrior, and she makes that known, amongst her passionate lack of interest in being the chosen one. Grouchy and se...
734 3 14
Reeling from the betrayal from her wife Donella Valentini is determined to get answers from the mother of her child.She is determined to get her chil...