The Lastborn: A Middle Earth...

由 GerithorDunedain

Sauron, the greatest evil Middle Earth has ever seen, has arisen once more in Mordor, the land where shadows... 更多

Trailer
Cast of Characters
Chapter 1: The Ranger
Chapter 2: The Darkness in the Forest
Chapter 4: Evil Tidings
Chapter 5: Blood and Burning
Chapter 6: The Guardian
Chapter 7: Shadow Rises
Chapter 8: Wights and Trolls
Chapter 9: A Brave Rescue
Chapter 10: Hunted
Chapter 11: Flight or Fight
Chapter 12: The Warrior
Chapter 13: Safe at Last
Chapter 14: Reunion
Chapter 15: The Heroes Go Forth
Part 1 Epilogue
Intermission and Thanks
Part 2: Prologue
Chapter 16: A Revelation... And a Dragon
Chapter 17: The Wrath of the Dragon
Chapter 18: And So It Begins
Chapter 19: A Memory
Chapter 20: Foreseen
Chapter 21: Desperation and a Plan
Chapter 22: True Wisdom
Chapter 23: The Ambush
Chapter 24: The Cave
Chapter 25: Charadrius
Chapter 26: A Shadow in Angmar
Chapter 27: An Unexpected Ally
Chapter 28: Warg Attack
Chapter 29: Reunion
Chapter 30: Into Carn Dum
Chapter 31: The End of All
Chapter 32: The Ceremony
Chapter 33: Parting of Ways
Epilogue
End Credits
Sequel
Attention
A Strange Request
1k Votes!
The Lastborn Soundtrack
Undergoing Editing
COMPLETE Soundtrack
Big News

Chapter 3: Home

852 70 43
由 GerithorDunedain

No further signs of the enemy manifested themselves, but Aragorn and Gerithor watched their surroundings constantly thereafter. They went swiftly, running all night and into the next day, and near midday came upon a small stream. There they filled their water flasks and moved on again, not daring to stop for fear of their mysterious enemy catching up to them.

The sun was setting in the west when they reached Esteldin. The small camp was situated in the outer ruins of Fornost that the Rangers might keep watch over the city, making sure no evil indwelt it. An old aqueduct towered over the encampment, and the scattered remains of old buildings dotted the landscape. Esteldin itself was comprised of a few permanent tents centered around one repaired building, which was used for an armory; but other houses had been patched up nearby to hold the families of the Rangers. Fornost loomed darkly in the distance, its massive sun-bleached walls casting dark shadows over the camp.

As they approached, two other rangers strode forward to meet them. The first was tall and muscular with the broad shoulders of a warrior. His dark hair was flecked with grey and his noble countenance had begun to show signs of age, but his resemblance to Gerithor was still strong. The second was much younger; light brown hair fell to his shoulders, and a short goatee framed his eager smile. His blue eyes twinkled as he ran to Gerithor.

"You're back!" He cried, giving his friend an embrace.

Gerithor returned it and grinned back. "I'm finally finished with the trials. I suppose that makes me a ranger!"

"True! Though remember, I was a ranger first!" His friend replied, crossing his arms smugly.

"You couldn't even grow a beard until last month, Eldahir," Gerithor reminded him with a smirk.

"Facial hair doesn't signify manhood," the blond Ranger said, wearing a slightly indignant look.

"Oh, I suppose in your mind being able to cook a good stew is somehow the key to being a man," Gerithor returned, sending a playful punch to the other's shoulder. Eldahir was Gerithor's senior by a year and had completed the trials before him, whereupon he jestingly lorded it over Gerithor, claiming to be wiser and more mature.

"My potato stew is second to none and you know it!" Eldahir replied with a laugh.

"Still doesn't make you more of a man though, does it?" Gerithor retorted, tugging at his friend's beard teasingly.

"Hey now, I just styled that!" He protested, stroking his goatee protectively in an unsuccessful attempt to fix the damage Gerithor had done.

Before Gerithor could continue their verbal sparring, however, the older man approached him. A small smile played across his face as he embraced Gerithor in turn. "Welcome home, son. I'm proud of you." He pulled back, regarding Gerithor with stern brown eyes, a feature of his that Gerithor had not inherited; his own were the soft sea-grey of his mother.

"Aragorn has told me of the hunt," continued Gerimond; "it seems that you handled yourself well." He put his hands on Gerithor's shoulders, smiling broadly. "Congratulations." Then, growing more serious, he drew out a brooch, a blue gem surrounded by a silver lion's head, the family emblem of one who had passed the trials, and fastened it to his son's cloak.

Gerithor gazed at it with unhindered pride. His father wore that same brooch on his own cloak, beside the white star that only the elite of the Dunedain bore. Gerimond also looked for a moment, and then broke the silence.

"Your mother will want to hear all about it." He smiled again, putting an arm around his son, and led him in the direction of the camp.

Aragorn watched the exchange gladly, for a time forgetting what had happened the night before. He respected his uncle Gerimond immensely, though Gerimond was older than him by only a little and their relationship was more one of brothers than father and son. After Arathorn's death, Gerimond had comforted young Aragorn, helping him through his grief and into his path as a Ranger, and Aragorn was proud to see him bringing his own son up in the same way. With a smile he watched the two depart, and turned to seek out the other Rangers.

He sprang back in surprise. Standing before him was a figure, clad in dark armor that was engraved with intricate elven lettering. Two ebony daggers hung at his side, curved and exotic in appearance. He stood several inches taller than Aragorn, and a hood and scarf obscured his face, so that all Aragorn could see were his piercing green eyes glaring at him. They didn't look quite human, somehow.

The moment of sizing one another up passed. "Mellon nin, did you need something?" Aragorn inquired cautiously. Something about the figure made him uneasy.

He stood still, staring the Ranger down without even blinking. The silence rolled deafeningly on for what felt like several minutes, though it was likely only a few seconds.

Finally, he shifted and spoke: "I am here to speak to you of your journey. I heard you ran into trouble on the way back." His voice was euphonious, deep yet almost beautiful; it did not match his intimidating appearance at all.

"Who are you?" Aragorn asked. He certainly didn't intend on telling this stranger about their encounter in the forest.

""I go by Caledorn," the stranger replied, lowering the scarf from his face and pulling back his hood. His hair was dark and his face strikingly handsome, and clean-shaven, but for a jagged scar running down the left side. Aragorn, however, immediately noticed the stranger's pointed ears.

"You're an elf," he breathed in surprise.

"How observant of you," Caledorn replied, his tone surprisingly sarcastic.

This elf is an enigma, thought Aragorn, growing increasingly doubtful as he studied the elf. He could not be from Rivendell, or Lorien; His hair was dark, like one of the Noldorin, but his armor was like nothing any elf he had seen wore. This is strange... first a man speaking Elvish, who seems to be working with the enemy, and now this mysterious elf appears. He could not help but be suspicious of this Caledorn, if that were even his true name.

"Why are you here?" he asked, looking intently at him.

"I come to bring news," Caledorn answered, "as well as speak of what you saw in the forest." He seemed to note the skeptical look on Aragorn's face. "I bring you two messages, one from Lord Elrond of Rivendell – there is a matter he would have you look into. However, we had best discuss that in a safer setting.

"The second message comes from Lady Arwen. She wishes to see you soon." He paused. "I can tell you do not believe me," he observed drily, looking at Aragorn with an almost mocking tilt of the head. "She told me to give you this." He extended a folded letter, which Aragorn accepted slowly.

It was Arwen's signature on the paper, that was clear enough. Aragorn did not see how he could have falsified it. While unusual in appearance and manner for an elf, Caledorn might be trusted after all – at least for now. He turned and motioned for the elf to follow him, making his way to Halbarad's tent.

Gerithor had all but forgotten about the incident that had taken place the previous night. Walking beside his father, laughing and discussing parts of the hunt, he was filled with the joy of returning home and approached their house with anticipation.

"Elena!" Gerimond called as he slowly opened the door. "We're home!"

Gerithor was immediately assailed with the scent of roast chicken, taking it in with a satisfied smile as he followed his father inside.

Gerithor's mother emerged from the kitchen, joy beaming from her face like the auburn hair that curled around it. Gerithor gathered her small figure happily into his arms, and she hugged him tightly. "I'm glad to see you, Mother."

His sister Rayna entered the room a moment later, a baby on her hip. Several years older than Gerithor, she had married a man from Breeland called Altar, who had died but a year later and left her with their young son Alif. Alif adored his young uncle, and the feeling was mutual.

Upon seeing Gerithor, the baby boy squealed in delight. Gerithor strode across to them with a grin spreading over his face, and kissed his sister on the cheek. "Rayna," he greeted her.

"You smell bad," she said laughingly, but returned the kiss and handed Alif into Gerithor's waiting arms.

"See, little fellow, your uncle Gerithor's back!" he said, tossing the baby high into the air and laughing at Alif's contagious giggles.

"Gerithor..." Rayna began disapprovingly. "I was just ready to put him to bed, and now you've made him all excited." But her stern tone was only a facade, and her face broke into a smile for her little brother once again. He had been gone so long, and they were all happy to see him.

"So you finished the trials!" Elena exclaimed.

"Aye, Mother, and it was quite a trial indeed!" answered Gerithor cheerfully, returning the babe to his cradle.

"Where is the deer you killed?" Rayna asked him.

Gerithor's smile faded. The memories of last night came flying back. His face sharpening into worry, he handed Alif off to his sister and strode back to the door.

"Where are you going?" his mother questioned, concern in her voice. He half-turned.

"I need to talk with Aragorn. I will be back by dinner time." With that he opened the door and slid out into the twilight, leaving his perplexed family behind.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

47.3K 1.9K 22
[ COMPLETED ] "You basically paired them! who do you think you are? Cupid?!" Gyuvin, a high school student, desperately tries to hide that he had fee...
4.1K 111 36
Come along on an adventure! Please no hate as this is my first story! Also this story is complete! P.S. this story def needs some heavy editing.
892K 41.2K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
68.3K 1.2K 12
What would happen if Magneto found out that Quicksilver is his son after the xmen apocalypse ?