Too Young (The Jewel Project...

By Wimbug

[FREE STORY with paid bonus content] "Life is a series of choices, kiddo. You either choose to trust me or y... More

The Jewel Project
Preliminaries
Family Tree
Chapter 1.1 - Hunted
Chapter 1.2 - Hunted
Chapter 2.1- Living the Dream
Chapter 2.2 - Living the Dream
Chapter 3.1 - The Grants
Chapter 3.2 - The Grants
Chapter 4.1 - Christine
Chapter 4.2 - Christine
Chapter 5.1 - Study Camp
Chapter 5.2 - Study Camp
Chapter 6.1 - Sunglasses and Screwdrivers
Chapter 6.2 - Sunglasses and Screwdrivers
Chapter 7.1 - The Race
Chapter 7.2 - The Race
Chapter 8.1 - The Ruby
Chapter 8.2- The Ruby
Chapter 9.1 - New Recruits
Chapter 9.2 - New Recruits
Chapter 10.1 - Backup
Chapter 10.2 - Backup
Chapter 10.3 - Backup
Chapter 11.1 - Training
Chapter 11.2 - Training
Chapter 12.1 - The games People Play
Chapter 12.2 - The Games People Play
Chapter 13.1 - The Traitor
Chapter 13.2 - The traitor
Chapter 14.1 - Survival of the fittest
Chapter 14.2 - Survival of the fittest
Chapter 15.1 - The challenge
Chapter 15 - The Challenge - The deleted scenes
Chapter 15.2 - The challenge
Chapter 16 - Fake
Chapter 17.1 -The New Plan
Chapter 17.2 - The new plan
Chapter 18.2 - A sudden Attack
Chapter 19.1 - Jessie's Trial
Chapter 19.2 - Jessie's Trial
Chapter 20.1 - The calm before the storm
Chapter 20.2 - The calm before the storm
Chapter 21.1 - The night before
Chapter 21.2 - The night before
Chapter 22.1 - The explosion
Chapter 22.2 - The explosion
Chapter 23 - Intermission
Chapter 24.1 - Broken
Chapter 24.2 Broken
Chapter 25.1 The search
Chapter 25.2 - The search
Chapter 26.1 - Lost and Found
Chapter 26.2 - Lost and Found
Chapter 27.1 - Through the storm
Chapter 27.2 - Through the storm
Chapter 28.1 - Ghosts
Chapter 28.2 - Ghosts
Chapter 29.1 - Temple 101
Chapter 29.2 - Temple 101
Chapter 30 - Too Young
Now that we're done
Family Tree - Take 2
Just because...
Fun Facts
Too Young Playlist
News
Bonus #1
Bonus #2
Bonus #3
Bonus #4
Bonus #5

Chapter 18.1 - A sudden attack

2.7K 292 238
By Wimbug

Chapter eighteen

A sudden attack

"Are you sure about this?" Sam asked.

Kay sighed. "No, I'm not. But it's not like we can do more. You've translated your best, I did the same. Unless you let Jessie read the whole thing, this is as far as it goes."

"I'm not letting Jessie read it all. I only gave her fragments specifically so she wouldn't get the whole picture. I don't want all of this reaching Snitch Gravel in case she's a spy," Sam mumbled and turned the map in his hands.

"You still think she's a spy, then?"

Sam looked at Kay. Her voice had been wary. "You like her don't you?" He folded the map, trying to turn it into a minuscule square. "I like her, too. I think everyone does. Jimmy told me he hasn't found anything suspicious about her. She doesn't hide, skulk, wonder off alone or even ask for privacy. But we can't take any chances."

"Still, she's coming in with us," Kay said blankly.

"She won't be any danger inside the temple. She'll be cut off from the outside world. And if she tries anything, we'll ambush her."

"Are we ready to go?" Jimmy came towards them and threw a small plastic bag at Sam.

Sam raised his eyebrows. "Nails?"

"Yes, nails. Put them in your survival kit. You never know when you're going to need them." Jimmy gave one to Kay as well, and she put it in her backpack.

"Okay, but four nails?" Sam added them to his already crammed backpack. They had decided to leave camp outside and pack survival kits for everyone. It was a lot less to carry. At least it had been at first; until everyone started coming up with ideas as to what to add.

"That's all I could spare. I'm using the rest for traps," Jimmy said.

"You're done with the traps. You and Steve finished yesterday. We're going in the temple, coming out and going home. We won't need more traps," Sam pointed out.

Jimmy rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right. If only it were that easy."

Sam started unfolding the map. Jimmy had a point. He doubted it would be that easy as well. By the time he managed to bring the piece of paper to its original state, the rest of the group had gathered before him.

"Alright, everyone, listen carefully. We only have one of these," he waved the map, trying to straighten it up. Maybe folding it in the first place hadn't been such a good idea. "So this time, you'll literally have to do everything I tell you to. One misstep could mean death. A horrible, sudden, mangling death. Your corpse might be beyond recognition."

"Alright, we get it, you don't have to get all graphic on us," Kyle said.

"I'm saying this especially for you and Tom. You throw yourselves in the way of danger without thinking. Fortunately, Jimmy and Jerry have good heads on their shoulders. And everyone else actually listens when I talk."

"You traitor! You should be on my side," Tom said.

"Not when you're—" Sam frowned. He thought he heard something moving behind him. The temple was behind him.

"When I'm what?" Tom asked.

Sam whipped around and jumped back. Eye Patch appeared from behind one of the snake statues and made a grab for the map Sam was holding. His fingers closed inches from it. More men scrambled over the wall on the side of the stairs. There weren't many of them and they didn't appear to have any weapons. They were probably there to take the map and run.

"Give me the map, brat, or we'll take our weapons out and shoot you." Eye Patch reached out his hand.

If Sam had ever doubted his theory, Eye Patch's affirmation confirmed it beyond any doubt. If they had any weapons, they would have taken them out, not talked about doing it.

Jessica rushed passed Sam and punched Eye Patch in the face so hard, he fell off his feet. "You scumbag! Where's Harry?"

Two of Eye Patch's men grabbed her. She broke free from one of them and punched him in the face as well. More men came to immobilize her. Jessie cursed furiously, struggling with her captors.

"Stop!" Eye Patch yelled, pointing at Kyle and Jimmy who had come only inches from them. "Or we'll kill her. Seriously." As he said this, his men surrounded Jessie, some of them taking out knifes.

Kyle and Jimmy froze on the spot, looking at Eye Patch malevolently. Sam took advantage of the short break to stuff the map in his backpack. He needed both hands to fight.

"You can take that out. You'll be exchanging it for this stupid little girl." Eye Patch wiped the blood off his face with his sleeve, but his bleeding nose filled it back up.

Jimmy snorted with laughter. "You actually think we'd give you the map in exchange for her? We barely know her."

Sam stared at him. What was he doing?

"Now, if you wanted this to work, you could trade her for me and then exchange me for the map," Jimmy continued casually.

"What?" Sam burst out. Then everything clicked into place. Jimmy's idea wasn't too bad. He could provide a distraction.

Eye Patch stared at him as though considering his options. The smile on his face let Sam know he would be accepting the offer.

"Fine then." Eye Patch snapped his fingers. His men moved out of the way, bringing Jessica into view again. She stared at Jimmy with wide eyes and shook her head as if begging him not to do it.

"You're not going to give yourself up for her!" Alice yelled.

Jimmy ignored her and reached out his hand. Eye Patch shoved Jessie aside, grabbed Jimmy wrist and pulled him towards him.

Sam assumed combat position, waiting for Jimmy to punch Eye Patch in the face. Instead, one of the cronies hit Jimmy behind the legs. He fell to his knees and Eye Patch seized the opportunity and twisted his arm behind his back. Jimmy groaned as Eye Patch put his knee on his back, forcing him to bend over.

"I'd suggest dropping your battle stances and giving me the map instead," Eye Patch said, pushing Jimmy wrist higher up his back, towards the back of his head.

Sam clenched his jaw. He wished he knew what Jimmy was planning. He couldn't tell if this was part of the plan or if Eye Patch had really managed to immobilize him. Jimmy's eyes were shut tightly and he seemed to be in pain. Sam looked at Jessie who was in a crouching position, waiting to pounce.

"I said I want that map. Now!" Eye Patch pushed Jimmy's elbow higher. A sickening cracking sound filled the air.

Jimmy cursed furiously, turned over on the ground and kicked Eye Patch in the stomach. He stumbled back and fell over his companions. Sam didn't have to say anything. The group attacked as if they had one mind. None of them bothered with weapons.

*

Jessie dodged around Sam and grabbed Jimmy who sat on the ground, his left hand over his right shoulder.

"Come on!" She tugged his healthy arm, pulling him away from the fight.

"I still have one arm left. I can fight," Jimmy mumbled between his teeth. He had to keep the adrenaline pumping. It was the only thing that kept the pain away.

"Use your healthy arm to defend me while I check the damage." Jessie pushed his hand off his shoulder. She cupped his elbow and pushed it upwards.

"That hurts!" Jimmy wanted to pull away, but Jessie grabbed his belt and pulled him towards her.

"Don't move!"  She sunk two fingers into his shoulder. "Does it hurt when I do this?"

"Yes, it hurts like hell," Jimmy mumbled, looking over her head, trying to make out who was winning the fight.

"Good," she mumbled, prodding his shoulder.

He cringed. It somehow felt as if she was breaking his arm again. He had to concentrate not to pull away from her.

"It's not broken, only dislocated. Hold on to something." Jessie pushed his elbow upwards, using her other hand to position his shoulder.

Pain seared through Jimmy's arm. His muscles clenched and he almost fell off his feet. His only release was what he'd grabbed on to.

"I can't breathe," Jessie hardly managed to say.

Jimmy let her go instantly. "I'm sorry." He took a few steps away from her.

Jessie leaned against a tree, taking deep breaths. "I'm sorry. It was my first time doing this and I got a bit overexcited."

Jimmy's heart skipped a beat. "Your first time?" He moved his arm around. It still hurt a little, but it felt more like a bruise now. "Maybe that's information you should have shared before—"

"If I would've told you, you wouldn't have let me help you," Jessie replied and he had to admit that she had a point.

She walked to him, and prodded his shoulder again, seeming satisfied with the results. Jimmy watched Snitch Gravel's men scatter behind the walls of the temple. Only Eye Patch was coming in their direction. Jimmy pushed Jessie aside and got in front of her, ready to strike Eye Patch down as soon as he came close enough. Something was glistening in his hand, but it was too small to be a knife. Once he came close enough, Jimmy realized it was a syringe.

Eye Patch yelled and wanted to sink the syringe into Jimmy's shoulder, but Jimmy ducked under his outstretched arm. Eye Patch lunged forward and tripped over Jessie. He scrambled back to his feet and continued his mad dash towards the trees.

"Thanks for making it easier for me!" he called out before disappearing in the vegetation.

"What an idiot. Nice job with the tripping, Jessie..." Jimmy's eyes widened. He put his arm behind Jessie's back right before her legs gave way. Jimmy yanked the syringe out of her arm. Half of the brownish substance was still in the piston.

Her eyes were glazed. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead. "Why...?" She swallowed heavily. "Why didn't you...?"

"Jimmy, are you okay?" Jerry rushed towards him, the rest of the group on his tail.

Jimmy picked Jessie up and whipped around to face them. He reached out his arms towards Jerry. "Fix this."

"What happened to her?" Sam asked.

Jimmy nodded towards the syringe still clasped in his hand and turned his attention back to Jessie. Her eyes were closed. If it weren't for the raspy, uneven breath and the fever, she could have been sleeping.

"Follow me." Jerry strode to his tent.

Jimmy followed, clutching Jessie tightly. She had to get better. If she didn't, the guilt would kill him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

221 113 32
A story of surprises and twists Sarah!19 years old.Can see the future of other.she love to help people. Everyone think she's fine...but dee...
468 0 41
HINT: read the first two books in the series to understand the full story "The world as we know it is falling apart around us. That's why I'm holding...
82.1K 5.6K 30
Centuries after the Fall, the United States has been wiped away. The crumbling remains of the great American empire are home now only to savage, lawl...
27.9K 1.5K 36
#1 in LGBT 9/23/21, #1 in Horror 9/23/21, #2 in BxB 9/23/21, #1 in ZombieApocalypse 9/23/21 Killian's eyes flickered up to Jasper. In the afternoon...