Prithvi... [Vol 3]

By VermillionBlue

This is the continuation of the story that began with Prithvi.. (volume 1) - http://www.wattpad.com/story/543... More

Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82

Chapter 60

27.5K 1.2K 268
By VermillionBlue

Nandini woke up with a start, and for a few seconds, sleepily stared into the utter darkness, wondering what had woken her up.

Then she heard it…..a baby's loud wail

She sat up at once and the lit outline of the door told her that someone had put the light on in the corridor outside her room. She swung her legs to the floor and quickly opened the door of the bedroom.

There was no one outside but another sob came floating up from downstairs, causing her to hurry towards the flight of steps that descended into the living room of the house.

Halfway down the stairs, she saw Manju Sharma walking up and down the length of the lit up drawing room with a crying Arjun in her arms. She looked extremely tired but was murmuring soothingly and patting the infant's back, trying to pacify him. There was an empty feeding bottle and a small bowl on the table, giving testimony to the attempts that had been made to soothe Arjun.

When she was turning after a round, her bleary eyes fell on the girl walking up to her.

"Nandini! Oh I'm so sorry he woke you up."

"Please don't worry about it. What's – what's wrong with him," Nandini asked, concern etching tiny lines on her forehead.

"He just won't stop crying….I've tried everything," Manju said worriedly. "His mother has a headache and is also running a fever. She's in no condition to deal with him."

Nandini walked up to the elderly lady and held out her arms to the baby, "Can I try?"

With tired apprehension battling hope, Manju handed over the bawling infant, and then wearily sat down on a nearby chair.

Nandini kissed a tear-soaked plump cheek and cradled the baby against her warm body. She didn't know what she could do that his grandmother hadn't already tried but she had to give it a shot.

She swung around gently from side to side, walking with him and softly humming a absurd but cute lullaby that her father had invented for her benefit when she herself had been just a couple of months old.

Three minutes later Manju watched in wonder as the loud cries subsided into hiccupping sobs. Five minutes after that, Arjun was fast asleep in Nandini's arms, cuddled into the supple curve of her neck. Only after they had managed to settle him into the cradle did both breathe easily again.

Nandini smiled down tenderly at the sleeping baby, and then looked up to see the older woman watching her affectionately.

"You'll be a very good mother some day," Manju told her with a wise smile.

She turned beet red.

***************************

Suvek grinned to himself as he walked along the corridor, feeling unable to stop smiling despite the curious glances he was attracting from other students. 

After so long….after so so long….something was finally going his way….

He was beginning to hum to himself when he saw the two men who were deep in discussion just outside the aerospace department.

A faint trace of malicious enjoyment lightened his eyes, and he began walking towards them with a bounce in his step.

When he had reached the men, he cleared his throat. "Hello sir!"

Both males turned towards him.

Suvek bristled with anger on the inside as the preoccupation on Prithvi's face turned to mild disgust.

"Suvek," the professor nodded with a vague smile. "So how are the preparations for the big play going on? Your drama club has built up a lot of anticipation about it."

"Oh yes, and we're sure we'll live up to everyone's expectations. Even though we've had a huge setback," he said sombrely.

"A setback?"

"The lead actress has come down with malaria. So the understudy, Nandini….she'll be performing. And I'm suggesting some changes to the main story….to some scenes between the lead pair….to make it more….interesting."

The professor, who had lost interest in the conversation long ago, muttered, "Well….that's good - good. All the best for the play. Come along Prithvi. We'll continue our discussion in the cabin.

"I need a minute to talk to Suvek," Prithvi said briefly.

"Alright. But hurry up."

Prithvi nodded and then turned with icy eyes that held ample promise of violence, only to see Suvek rushing away from him as fast as possible without actually running, pushing through a crowd of first years in his urgency to get away.

*************************

In the unusually silent auditorium, Nandini stared in horror at the hyperventilating female in front of her and restrained the urge to pinch herself hard and wake up from the nightmare. She shouldn't have stepped out of the house today. She should have decided against attending college in the morning itself when she had woken up with a headache, a slightly sore throat, and mild exhaustion.

"She – she has - what?" she asked in a strangled whisper.

Beside her, Nishi intoned in a steady murmur, "Don't panic! Don't panic!"

"Malaria!" Daya moaned. "She has managed to get malaria three days before the show!"

Nandini swallowed convulsively, trying with every fibre to avoid thinking about the obvious implication of this development and praying that Daya had some other alternative lined up.

Daya didn't oblige.

With a frenzied glitter in her eyes, she approached Nandini and grabbed her by the shoulders. "You'll have to perform in her place!"

Nandini closed her eyes, breathed deeply and willed herself to snap out of the frightening dream.

This was not happening…..no, this was definitely not happening…..

"Don't you close your eyes on me at this time!" Daya shrieked, causing Nandini to snap open her eyes in renewed terror. "You have to do it! I don't care how!"

Daya's tensed assistants seemed to think it best to maintain a safe distance from their leader. But alarmed at the hysterical behaviour, Vrinda and Nishi began trying to detach her claws from their friend's shoulders. The panic-stricken outburst, however, forced Nandini to have a blessed moment of unconcern for herself.

Daya looked like she was on the verge of a breakdown. She wouldn't be able to handle anything less than immediate agreement to all her wishes. Any conflicts would have to be resolved later.

With immense effort, Nandini compelled herself to calm down. Hinting to her friends with a discreet gesture that they could stop trying to manhandle the director, she forced a smile onto her parched lips.

 "Daya, its ok….I can do it…don't worry!" she said gently, with as much sincerity as she could summon at the moment.

Daya looked at her for a few moments, still breathing hard. Then very slowly, something of the panic in her eyes diminished.

"You'll do it? Really? No stage fright?" she asked in an anxious but much calmer tone. 

Nandini fidgeted uncomfortably. "I'm still terrified of course, but I – I promise…I'll do it," she said reassuringly, her pale face set.

"No, you won't."

Startled by the wintry announcement, Nandini spun around to see an inexplicably angry looking Prithvi standing a few feet away from the group. She looked at him with surprise, trying to make sense of his attitude and waiting for some sort of an explanation. But he simply looked back at her with irritation writ all over his fair features.

Of course, there was Suvek's presence in the drama, which would be enough to rile him. And it was characteristic – unwise, but characteristic - of him to think that he could make decisions for her and she would accept them without a murmur.

But how could he have announced that decision in front of people who knew nothing about their relationship…..

People who were now looking from her flushed face to his….wondering…..slowly drawing obvious conclusions….  

And suddenly, her own anger sparked into life.

Just what he think he was doing….walking up to them and announcing a decision on her behalf in front of a whole bunch of people without even talking to her first.

"What?!" Daya yelped. "What do you mean she won't do it?"

Prithvi turned to her and coolly stated, "You heard me. I said she won't be taking up the role of the lead. You'll have to find someone else."

Before Daya could respond, Nandini stepped up to him.

Meeting his gaze steadily, she stiffly said, "Daya, I need to talk to Prithvi. I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Talk! Talk about what?" Daya asked fretfully. "You told me you'll do it! You can't back out now!"

Nandini turned to her. "Just give me 10 minutes….I won't go back on my word," she said calmingly, ignoring the black look being directed towards her.

Then she looked back at Prithvi. "Would you mind accompanying me outside, your highness?" she hissed under her breath.  

Infuriation flashed in his eyes, but he turned silently and strode towards the outside with Nandini following in frosty silence.

************************

She didn't wait once they were out of the room full of staring college mates.

"What was that all about?" Nandini demanded of a rigid back.

Prithvi turned around….and his dark expression told her with confidence that this was not going to end well….

"I don't want you to take part in the show," he said tersely.

"Mind telling me why?" she asked exasperatedly.

"That #$@%* is planning to make the best of this opportunity!" he growled, calling Suvek a word that made Nandini wince. "He's going to make changes to the story, and do who knows what else to -" he stopped mid-sentence and breathed deeply, clearing trying to control his temper. "Go back and tell Daya you are not going to take up the role of the lead."

"I can't do that…I've already given my word," she said in small voice.

"You'll just have to go back on it," he said impatiently.

A cold frisson of fury snaked around Nandini's spine, making it rigid.

"Would you do that yourself? Go back on your word that easily?"

His jaw clenched obstinately. "This is different," he dismissed.

"And why is that?" she asked angrily, unable to restrain her temper anymore. "Because your promise is unbreakable and my word has absolutely no value?"

"I didn't mean - "

"I think I know what you meant! Believe it or not, I do have some bit of intelligence….Suvek can try whatever he wants, but I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself," she said tartly. "I don't need you to stand guard over me all the time or threaten Suvek to stay away. Unless….of course….you don't trust me enough," she pondered, narrowing her beautiful eyes dangerously.

He stared at her, visibly thrown by the last sentence.  And then, something seemed to caution him that the talk had entered dangerous territory.

"Fine….do as you please. Just don't come running to me when things go wrong," he said grimly, and turning on his heel, began walking away 

"I won't," she called out, and then felt incensed that she hadn't come up with a more cutting response to that warning.

Go running to him?

She wouldn't go running to him if the hounds from hell were at her heels, leave alone Suvek.

***********************

Nandini tried to concentrate on reading the lines for the next scene but found it impossible. Her throat pain had become worse, the mild headache had become a horrible, continuous pounding in her temple and she was feeling weaker by the hour. She wanted to go home now.

She had been practicing with the team for hours now, and everything had gone off relatively smoothly. She was familiar with the dialogues and the scenes as she had been present in the hall for most of the earlier rehearsals. The only problem would have been her fear of performing in front of a crowd but her annoyance at Prithvi seemed to have dulled her fears for the first hour, and later, the security of knowing the script quite well had helped her do a reasonable job on the stage. At least, Daya had become a lot more relaxed in the past couple of hours.

But Nandini was aware of being the object of speculative glances and some whispered gossip since the scene with Prithvi earlier in the day.

And that wasn't the only think irking her.

"Nandini, want to practice that garden scene again?"

Stifling her irritation, she looked up at Suvek who was gazing down at her with impassioned eyes. He had been getting on her nerves all day with his constant suggestions and attempts to "improve" the romantic scenes by increasing physical proximity between them. She had somehow managed to forestall all his efforts, but her growing physical discomfort was making it increasingly difficult for her to tolerate his behaviour serenely.

"Sorry, but I was thinking of leaving for home," she said coolly.

"Oh…I was thinking of leaving myself. Do you want me to drop you off?" he asked eagerly.

"Its ok. I can go alone," Nandini said firmly and immediately turned and walked up to the chair on which she had kept her bag.

She had a bit of planning to do, considering that she wouldn't be spending the night at the Sharma residence. The keys to Vrindavan were in her bag, so that would not be an issue.

She seemed to be coming down with something, and there was no way she was going to risk transferring an infection to Arjun. Also, Manju aunty's daughter-in-law was already ill….another sick person would be a little too much for her to handle. She had already called up and informed them that she would be spending the night at her friend's house. She could have gone to Nishi or Vrinda's house but she didn't like the idea of troubling them and their families unnecessarily.

It was true that she had never had to face an illness alone. Her family was always around to mollycoddle her, but it would be okay. She had eaten a light snack in the college canteen an hour ago and was still feeling stuffed, and so didn't plan to eat anything else for the night.

She would go to the doctor in her locality, who usually had a stock of little pills for minor ailments, and then go to sleep in her own house. Tomorrow morning, she was sure she would be perfectly fine.

***********************

With Daya's instructions for the next day still running in her mind, Nandini slowly walked out of the entrance of the college. She felt a twinge of unease at the fast dwindling light of the evening. Perhaps it would have been better if she'd waited to leave with everyone else.

Nishi and Vrinda had offered to wait but she had convinced them to leave around 2 hours back. She had been too caught up with all the activity in the auditorium to worry about getting back home before dark.

But she wasn't used to being out of home this late in the evening, and now there was a long walk through that isolated path that led to the highway.

While passing the parking lot, Nandini cast a forlorn gaze at the few stationary bikes. If she hadn't had the fight with Prithvi, she may have been tempted to request him to stay back a little. But he was really annoyed with her, so there was no hope on that front…

"Looking for someone?"

Nandini spun around on the spot in delighted surprise, and only just managed to avoid doing a dance of relief on seeing a rather grim looking young man.

"You waited!" she exclaimed happily. "It was so sweet of you to wait for so long! But what were you doing all this time?"

"You found your entertainment, I found mine," Prithvi shrugged casually.

The urge to dance died a little.

"Who was entertaining you?" she asked suspiciously.

"None of your business," he retorted, "Stop acting like a jealous hag and wait here….I'll get the bike."

"I'm not – forget it!" she snapped. "I'll go home by myself."

She turned and walked with great confidence until she had reached the main gate of the campus, where a guard was dozing in his chair. There she paused and stared apprehensively at the dimly lit road outside the gate.

She could do it….she could definitely walk alone all the way to the main road and then take a bus and go home.

But she just had to make sure that no dangers lay ahead.

Nandini peered into the night where the trees were mingling with each other, creating sinister patterns.

Was it her imagination or were there shadowy male figures huddled together in a group some way along the road. They seemed to be laughing and talking raucously….or was it just the crackle of the wind entwining between the branches. And even if there were some people there, wasn't it perfectly possible that they were just innocent college students having fun, not dangerous drunken men looking for a victim to assault….

Unbidden, lines of a gruesome story in tomorrow's newspapers floated before her eyes…   

Prithvi smirked as he approached the slender, immobile girl. He moved until he was right behind her, and then leaned forward and politely enquired in her ear, "Changed your mind?"

Nandini shrieked and turned around, and then, heatedly pushed him away from herself.

"Why did you scare me like that?" she demanded indignantly.

"Oh I can't take all the credit for scaring you," he said with humility. "You were doing a pretty good job of it right there inside that empty vessel of yours," he mocked, giving a gentle tap to the side of her head.

She looked at him resentfully, and then with great dignity said, "I'm only going with you because you waited so long for me."

"You are too kind," he answered sarcastically, as he strode away to the parking lot to bring his bike.

**********************

"Stop – stop – stop!"

Prithvi's bike came to a jarring halt by the side of the lamp post

"I need to meet this family before I go home. You can go ahead - don't wait for me, I'll walk the rest of the way," Nandini said quickly.

She definitely did not want him to know that she was feeling unwell. No point giving him a potentially good excuse to talk her out of going for the rehearsals when she was probably going to be perfectly well in the morning.  

"That's the local doctor's house….are you ill?" he frowned.

She hastily moved backwards before he could place his hand on her forehead and said, "No, I'm not ill. I – I just had a slight throat ache so I thought I'll ask the doctor to prescribe a painkiller."

He continued to look at her doubtfully, then said, "I'll wait here till you are done."

"Okay, thanks," Nandini mumbled, and left towards the house. She rang the bell a few times but no one answered the door. Giving up, she returned and sat back on the bike. She felt a moment's misgiving about being seen with him at this hour, but she was feeling too drained to walk the distance to her house.

"He's not there. Let's go," she said tiredly.

"To the home of the football, right?"

"Don't call Arjun that," she snapped, "And no, I need to go to Vrindavan to collect a few things first," she lied hesitantly. "Then I'll just walk over to Manju aunty's house."

She'd just have to scour the medicine box in her house for some tablets. That and a good night's rest….that was all she needed…..

**********************

Awakening from a restless nap, Nandini tried to sit up in bed and ran a hand across her perspiring forehead. Her skin was definitely too warm, her throat and head were throbbing with pain, and she was feeling sicker than before. This definitely wasn't something minor. She had been right to stay here tonight instead of becoming a burden on the Sharmas and passing on the flu to the baby, though she desperately wished her mother was around. She needed that comfort which only family could provide, and its absence was making her feel very lonely and wretched at the moment.

She groggily reached out for the little clock by her bedside and saw that it was nearly 10:30 PM.

It had been a bad idea to take a nap before looking for the medicines. But she had only intended to shut her eyes for a few minutes because she had been feeling so tired. Now she was thirsty and wanted water, for which she'd have to go downstairs to the kitchen. If she put on the light to do that, there was a small chance that someone would see the light in the supposedly empty house and come to verify that there were no intruders. But the kitchen was towards the back of the house and so was her room. So maybe no one would realise.

She reached out to the switchboard and put on the small bulb in her room. She started to get out of bed, but slumped back again with a groan. Then with a miserable sigh, she managed to drag herself out of bed and unsteadily made her way out of the room.

Once in the kitchen, she filled the kettle and put it on the gas to boil. That would take a while, and she'd have to cool it down too. Meantime, she could get the medicines.

Still battling extreme exhaustion and mild dizziness, she had just stepped out of the kitchen to go to her grandfather's room to pick up the medicine box when a faint sound made her jerk to a halt.

It had come from upstairs.

She waited fearfully in absolute stillness for some moments but no other sound came to frighten her. She might have imagined it but she had to make sure….

She warily began climbing up the stairs, making as little noise as possible. She had just reached the fourth step when a dark outline loomed around the landing.

A sharp gasp of fright escaped Nandini. But before she could marshal the force to let out the bloodcurdling scream building up inside her, Prithvi sauntered down the stairs into the weak light coming from the kitchen.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he asked in disbelief, towering over her.

"You! What – how - what," she spluttered incoherently, trying to stop her mind from spinning and get back her breath even as her heart continued to hammer in crazy terror against her ribs.

"I saw a light inside, and thought someone had – well, so I broke in through the terrace door," he informed dismissively

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" she protested feebly, unable to find the stamina to yell at him for scaring her so badly.

"Stop cribbing and tell me - just what are you doing here at this hour?" he scowled down at her, descending one step.

Nervously, Nandini moved back. Her foot missed a step, and before she had registered what had happened, she had landed with a painful thump on the floor, twisting her ankle agonisingly. Hot tears flooded her eyes.

In the next instant, a pale Prithvi was on his knees beside her, and a strong arm cradled her comfortingly, offering indescribable solace.

"Are you okay?" he asked urgently.

Clutching her ankle, she started to nod, but then stopped. And worsening the indignity of her position, she began crying in earnest.

Prithvi lost a little more of the colour in his face and looked down at her foot. "Is your ankle hurting that badly?"

She shook her head tearfully. "Its not that….I – I'm not feeling well. My head and throat are paining so much….I think I have the flu….I didn't want Arjun to catch it. I thought I'll be fine by myself but I'm not….I'm feeling so sick….so awful…. I didn't know what to do…. I wish maa was here…but there was no one," she managed to choke out, even as some part of her cringed at how ridiculously pathetic she was sounding.

 How she wished he had not seen her in such a sorry state, talking like a silly, whiny 10-year-old. He was probably wishing he hadn't.

Feeling frustrated with herself, she roughly wiped the tears away. She wanted to say something – anything - to redeem herself, but her brain was feeling horribly sluggish and all she wanted to do was sleep and never wake up.  

She was still struggling to think when she realised that he was gathering her up warmly against himself.

"I'm here now," he said softly. "You'll feel better soon, I promise."

I feel better already, she wanted to admit, but the words gave up somewhere on the way to her lips. She became vaguely aware that he had swung her up into his arms and was walking up the stairs.

Then he was laying her down on her bed, adjusting the pillow and covering her up with a sheet.

She felt him place a very gentle kiss on her hot forehead.

"I'll be right back," he murmured, and then she found herself alone in the room. She dragged the sheet up to her chin and instantly dropped off to sleep.

**************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9K 713 23
Tale of Passion,love, loyalty and purity...... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Started : 9th October 2023 Ended : 28th December 2023 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ {Under Editing}
212K 13.7K 41
His Peaceful life turned chaotic the day she stepped into his life. She is hiding so many secrets which can be dangerous for his clan and He will nev...
482K 28.9K 26
This is the continuation of the story that began with Prithvi.. (volume 1) - http://www.wattpad.com/story/5433945-prithvi-vol-1 Note posted on 5 Octo...
20.4K 484 50
Indian love story ...... # Sweet Ordinary Girl #Royal Prince charming # Enemies to lovers Every girl in this country is dying to marry me. Huh...