My B(a)etter Half

By SeptemberThirty

An AlDub one shot story. (It's my first try, pardon me if it's longer than the usual short stories. 'Hope you... More

My B(a)etter Half

1.5K 52 9
By SeptemberThirty

Alden cannot exactly remember when it hit him, but one thing is certain: he has not felt this way before. Ever.

What started out as a joke that fateful day in July has now become real. Too real. So much so that, in the past several weeks, he often would find himself deviating from the script and out of character at the mere mention of her name or upon a glimpse of her face onscreen in many of their Kalyeserye episodes.

Maine Mendoza, the newest showbiz royalty who first earned prominence because of her viral Dubsmash videos before joining Eat Bulaga, has taken over his thoughts -- heck, perhaps even his life.

She didn't have to do much. Just by merely cracking a smile or twitching her nose, Maine can send Alden's mind spinning and his spine tingling.

His voice would soften whenever he speaks of her, there's a different glimmer in his eyes and a seemingly added spring to his every step whenever they're together, and a hint of longing on his face whenever they're apart.

Hindi na aktingan 'to, uy.

Alden Richards -- the "Pambansang Bae," the showbiz heartthrob, no doubt, is in love.

* * * * *

It was Alden's best birthday yet -- his 24th.

After Eat Bulaga dedicated more than half of Saturday's show for his celebration filled with surprises, he had separate get togethers with his fans in Nuvali and high school friends in Tagaytay.

Alden couldn't think of a better way to cap off his special day. He was on high spirits, reenergized, happy.

But scrolling through his Twitter feed slightly dampened his mood and made him worried. Just a couple of hundred meters more before he reaches home, Alden made a U-turn and took the exit to head to Quezon City.

A little over an hour later, Alden was already pacing back and forth by his car in front of Maine's condo building.

This is where she stayed whenever her work schedule would not permit her to go home to Bulacan.

He found it odd that Maine was here instead of being in Sta. Maria, knowing that she didn't have work for that Sunday.

Alden was lost in thought when he felt a tap on his shoulder. It was Dean, Maine's youngest brother.

"Kuya, anong ginagawa mo dito? Lampas 2AM na," Dean asked.

"Sorry nagising kita, ha? Si Maine kasi, eh. 'Yung Tweets niya. Hindi ako mapakali nu'ng nabasa ko," Alden answered.

"Ewan ko du'n. After ng Bulaga, nag-iba ang mood, eh. Pero okay naman siya nu'ng kasama niya barkada niya kanina. Pero pag-uwi niya, ayun, nagmumukmok. 'Di na makausap hanggang makatulog," Dean said.

Something is definitely up, Alden thought. And he's dying to find out.

"Dean..."

"Nagsabi na ako sa guard," Dean quipped, giving Alden a knowing look. "Hindi ko na ni-lock 'yung main door. Punta muna ako coffee shop. Akyat ka na. Baka sakaling mawala ang topak niya."

Alden patted Dean on the back as he crossed the street to go to the coffeeshop.

Not even five minutes later, he tiptoed his way in, carefully closing the front door behind him. There on the sofa, curled up like a little child, was Maine.

Even in a room where the only illumination is coming from the TV showing an old slapstick comedy movie on cable, Alden can see the weariness on her tear-stained face.

Yet he still found her so beautiful. Even in her unconscious, vulnerable state, Maine still took his breath away.

He knelt down beside her and softly shook her.

"Maine... Maine, wake up," Alden said in an almost-whisper. He shook her again.

Maine slowly opened her eyes, adjusting them from the TV's glare and quickly sat up, surprised, when she realized who was in front of her.

"Syokoy! What? How? Why?" Maine asked, while switching on the lamp on the side table.

"I just want to tell you I appreciated everything you did. 'Yung pagkanta mo, 'yung cake. Lahat. You made my birthday very very special," Alden answered as he sat next to Maine.

"Puwede namang sa Facetime or text na lang, eh," Maine said as she stretched her arms, almost hitting him. "Pero kilala kita, eh. Hindi 'yan ang talagang dahilan no?"

Alden tugged on his shirt collar and fiddled with his rosary bracelet. He does this whenever he feels anxious.

"Huy! Ano na? Bakit ka nga nandito? You should be at home, resting," Maine, giving Alden a playful punch to the shoulder, said.

"Pauwi na ako, then I saw your Tweets. Ewan ko kung bakit, but I got worried. Parang may pinaghuhugutan ka. I just felt I needed to be where you are, kaya tinawagan ko si Dean," Alden explained.

"Wala 'yun. Parang 'di mo ako kilala," Maine said as she stood up. She was able to take a couple of steps towards the bedroom when Alden grabbed her arm to stop her.

"'Yun na nga, eh. Kilala kita. I know you enough to know that you're not okay. Mga bashers na naman ba? Pag-usapan natin," Alden begged, turning Maine so she could face him.

"Hindi, no! Kebs ko sa haters," Maine retorted, trying not to make eye contact.

"I've read some of the Tweets and comments on Instagram. Masakit sa mata. They weren't directed at me, pero nasaktan ako. I get hurt when people insult you. It pains me whenever people say bad things about you," Alden said, cupping Maine's face with his hands. He can tell she's on the verge of crying. "Hindi ko kaya, Meng."

"I... I just don't get it. Where is all the hate coming from? Oo, hindi ako perpektong tao. Nobody is. But I try to be kind, always. I try to make people smile, kahit minsan sa sobrang pagod ko dahil sa trabaho hindi ko na makuhang makangiti," Maine uttered, her voice starting to crack. "Tisoy, haven't I done enough?"

Alden placed his forehead on hers, making him catch a whiff of her perfume. The same scent he smelled during their Akyat Ligaw episode.

"Meng, 'di ka nagkulang. Marami lang ang hindi makaintindi, dahil ayaw nilang umintindi. But they shouldn't matter. Mas marami ang nagmamahal sa'yo," Alden whispered as Maine wasn't able to hold it in any longer and tears started streaming down her face.

"Maine, not everyone will appreciate you. That's the sad truth," Alden said, taking Maine's hands in his and then lovingly gazed into her eyes. "But it's a good thing. You know why? Because it means you're special."

"Nag-iisa ka lang, Nicomaine Mendoza. Nag-iisa ka lang na pitsel at kawali ang pangregalo. Nag-iisa ka lang na kahit ano pang pagpapangit ang gawin, maganda pa rin. And you know what else? Alam mo ba kung saan ka pa nag-iisa?" Alden quizzed with his boyish smile, flashing his heart-melting dimple.

"Ano? Saan?" Maine asked, freeing one hand to wipe away her tears.

"Best Supporting Actress sa puso ko," Alden answered. He didn't give Maine the chance to react. He held her chin with his fingers and gently pressed his lips to hers.

"Loko ka, Tisoy! Bawal 'yan. Magagalit si Lola," Maine said when Alden pulled away, trying to make it sound like a joke. She playfully pushed him away, but Alden pulled her and trapped her in an embrace.

"Hindi na 'to Kalyeserye. We're not in front of the camera. Wala si Direk Pat, wala si Reeza. I love you," he whispered while stroking her hair. "I love the crazy, moody, isaw-loving you. I appreciate everything you do for me. At kahit paulit-ulit mo pang gusutin ang mukha mo, ikaw pa rin ang pinakamaganda sa mata ko."

"Talaga ba?" Maine, freeing herself from Alden's embrace, asked with a pout -- one of her many childlike expressions Alden found so endearing.

Alden did not answer. Instead, he kissed her again, this time more firmly, deeply, as if wanting to transfer his thoughts and feelings to her through her mouth.

"You don't have to say "I love you" back," Alden told Maine when they broke off their kiss, tracing the outline of her face with his finger. "No rush. It's enough for me to finally let it out."

"At tuwing malulungkot ka dahil sa mga hindi magagandang salita o gawain ng iba, tandaan mong may isang Richard na nasa tabi mo. Mahal kita, Nicomaine Dei Capili Mendoza. Hindi ako magsasawang sabihin at patunayan 'yun sa'yo."

* * * * *

Maine hardly had some shut eye when Alden left.

Half-awake on the sofa, she was in a daze, still trying to put all the pieces together.

Was all of that has happened a few hours earlier true?

Si Tisoy. Si Syokoy. Totoo ba 'yung sinabi niyang mahal niya ako o panaginip lang?

Maine's wandering thoughts were interrupted when Dean turned on the TV. As if on cue, there he was -- Alden, talking straight into the camera:

"Maine, isa lang ang masasabi ko sa'yo.
Kakampi mo ako.
Ikaw at ako.
Tayong dalawa."

That's all Maine needed to hear, apart from everything else Alden said earlier. She reached for her phone and sent him a message -- not minding the fact that he will only get to read it until after the show.

"Mahal din kita, Richard Reyes Faulkerson Jr. Hindi rin ako magsasawang sabihin at patunayan 'yun sa'yo."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.4K 2.4K 37
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐢'𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐣𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐤, 𝐝𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐬; 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢'𝐦 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐞�...
145K 6.6K 100
In the vast and perilous world of One Piece, where the seas are teeming with pirates, marines, and untold mysteries, a young man is given a second ch...
76.1K 2.2K 37
Francesca Astor came to Love Island to find her soulmate, and once she sets her eyes on him, she's never letting go. Rob Rausch x Fem!oc #1 robertrau...
354K 30.9K 89
Sequel to my MHA fanfiction: •.°NORMAL°.• (So go read that one first)