Thorns of a Rose #1 (Howl's M...

By lilmisswriter17

šŸŒ¹ Book 1 Howl's Moving Castle trilogy šŸŒ¹ It has been almost a year since Howl and Sophie first met and since... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Red Rose, White Rose
Chapter 2: A Persistent Problem
Chapter 3: A Wonderful, Yet Slightly Disappointing Surprise
Chapter 5: Trust - Or Lack Thereof
Chapter 6: The Mask Unveiled
Chapter 7: Decisions Made in Waiting
Chapter 8: Things Could Always Be Worse
Chapter 9: The Dark Side of a Broken Wizard
Chapter 10: Illumination
Chapter 11: Clockwork
Chapter 12: Saved by the Apprentice
Chapter 13: All According to Plan
Chapter 14: Unconditional Love
Chapter 15: Until Death Do Us Part
Chapter 16: Sun and Moon
Chapter 17: Consequence
Chapter 18: Pause
Chapter 19: Surprises Around Every Corner
Chapter 20: Sunder
Chapter 21: Blessings and Curses and Worse to Come
Author's Note & Book Covers

Chapter 4: Truths, Lies, and Broken Promises

2.8K 131 46
By lilmisswriter17

Sophie twirled the spoon of sugar in her coffee mug longer than she needed. She rested her chin in her palm and sighed loudly, though her sister was completely oblivious to Sophie's boredom.

About a month after Lettie announced her engagement to Prince Justin, Sophie decided to tackle the maid of honor's duties and take the bride-to-be out for a day of wedding shopping. They had gone to three bridal shops before Lettie decided on the wedding gown she wanted. It was like magic watching her sister fall in love with the dress - yet Sophie's mind was still lost in her own world.

They stopped at a local diner for a late lunch before continuing with the flower arrangements, and Lettie had been elaborating on how Justin proposed to her for the last fifteen minutes. She smiled wide and used her hands for dramatic gestures.

"...and he took me to the rose garden behind the Royal Kingsbury Palace and there was an entire dining table set up in the gazebo! Oh, Sophie, you should have been there. It was so romantic."

"Sounds very romantic." Sophie said with a subtle roll of her eyes as she took a sip of her coffee.

"Oh, I can't believe this day has come," Lettie said, cupping her cheeks as she stared out the window from the booth. "It's like all my dreams are coming true. The day we met, I knew there was this connection between us."

Sophie took another sip and sighed, staring at the hot coffee mug. "I wish I had known you two were dating and didn't find out my sister was getting married until she was already engaged."

Lettie dropped her grin, her face completely emotionless. She stared at her folded hands, coughing softly before speaking. "Well, I hate to say it, Sophie, but we haven't been that close since you moved in with your boyfriend, whom I still haven't met yet."

Sophie burned her tongue on the coffee, pulling the mug away from her lips quickly. She set the drink down and watched as her sister refused to make eye contact. Sophie had forgotten about all the things she missed because of her relationship with Howl. She missed the bakery's tenth anniversary celebration because Howl said he was leaving the next morning and she wanted to spend more time with him; she missed their family reunion because Markl had turned the house literally upside down and she had to help him and Howl reverse the spell.

Sophie couldn't remember the last time she asked Lettie to spend the day together and just be sisters. She couldn't even remember the last time she saw their baby sister, Martha, and every day that passed was a lost opportunity to be with them.

Disregarding Lettie's last visit to the castle, Sophie hadn't seen her except for a few pop-ins to the flower shop, which – as time went by – grew less and less frequent. Sophie hadn't realized how much she had taken advantage of her sister's time, nor how much time she wasted not being with her family.

"I never realized, Lettie." Sophie whispered. "I don't know what to say. I feel so ashamed."

Lettie grasped her hand and tightened her grip. "I didn't mean to say that, Sophie."

"But it's true. I haven't been there for you in such a long time. I can't remember the last time we did any real sisterly things together. We barely see each other anymore, and it's all my fault."

"No, Sophie. Don't think like that. You're not the only one who's been busy with a boyfriend." Lettie giggled as her cheeks lightened a rosy red. "I guess we've both just been blindsided by love."

Sophie laughed and rolled her eyes. "Yeah, love."

"That's such a pretty necklace, Sophie." Lettie said, pointing to her chest. "Where did you get it?"

"Oh, this?" Sophie held the blue stone between her fingers. "Um, he gave it to me as sort of a one-year anniversary gift."

"Wow, has it really been a year?" Sophie widened her eyes and looked up to Lettie, her eyes beaming at this point. One thing about Lettie was that she never let things go that easily, so her moving on from the last subject was quite out of character.

"Uh, yeah." Sophie said, blinking a few times before finding the correct words to say. She hadn't mentioned anything about Howl, not even his name for fear that Lettie would die of a heart attack.

"Wasn't that right around the time you were taken last year?" Lettie asked with a puzzling look. "When the war began?"

"Yeah, he um... we actually met right after that." Sophie lied. She knew Lettie wasn't fond of Howl because of his past - the way he used women and took advantage of their love for him - but Lettie didn't truly know him. She only knew rumors and stories, most of which Sophie discovered were very fictitious.

Lettie knew nothing about how he had grown since meeting her, since he felt true love – if that's what true love meant to Howl.

"C'mon, Sophie. You've got to give me something." Lettie pleaded. "I don't even know his name yet."

"Donald." Sophie blurted out without thinking. "His name is Donald."

Lettie blinked. "Oh, well that's a nice name. How did you meet?"

"At the bakery."

"Really?" Lettie leaned in. "It's not Donald Curtis, is it? He can be a player from what I've heard."

"That crazy pilot?" Sophie cringed at the thought. "Ugh, never. He already tried hitting on me once, anyway. At least that bounty hunter Porco Rosso put him in his place."

Lettie and Sophie shivered in disgust at the thought. "Well, at least he's not that Donald. So what's he like?"

"Hmm?"

"Your Donald. What do you like about him?"

"Oh." Sophie said, carefully placing her mug back on the table. "Well, he's very sweet. He really makes me feel special."

"It must be strange that he has a kid, though. You're kind of like Markl's mother, you know."

Sophie nodded. "And I love it. His par- um, his mother was never really around and so when we got together, Markl grew attached to me. I wouldn't have it any other way."

"That's so sweet, Sophie." Lettie smiled. "So what–"

"You know, today is your day. We should talk about your wedding." Sophie said. At that mention, Lettie lit up, her eyes sparkling as she went into full detail about how she planned the wedding to look like. Sophie smiled and nodded in response, everything her sister said going right over her head. The only thought running inside her mind was of how Lettie would react if she knew she was in love with the wizard Howl.

Ever since they were little, Sophie often lulled Lettie and Martha to sleep with scary stories of the witches and wizards that lived in the Wastes. She'd spent quite a bit of time with a particular wizard growing up, and usually recounted his old tales back to her timid little sisters. Sophie couldn't remember if she shared any stories about Howl, but somehow Lettie grew a strong hatred for the wizard who supposedly ate the hearts of young women - and eventually all of those with magical powers.

Sophie wanted to tell her that Howl wasn't the person she had always hated him to be, as well as the fact that the wizards she'd met were not all the same. However, that meant finding the courage to come clean about her relationship with him.

"Prince Justin is such a lovely man, Sophie. I can't wait for you to meet him."

Sophie sat up straight. "Actually, I have met him before."

"Really?" Lettie widened her eyes. "When?"

"Well, I saved his life once." Sophie creased her eyebrows in confusion. If he were marrying her sister, wouldn't he have mentioned his ties to her family? Or perhaps that was another secret Prince Justin intended to keep hidden. Yet it was strange he never mentioned anything to Lettie about their meeting.

"Did you really?" Lettie leaned in over the table, her chin resting in both palms the way she did during all of those stories Sophie told her in their childhood.

Sophie nodded. "It was when he went missing last year, during the war. He was trapped as a scarecrow, and well, I-"

"That couldn't have been you." Sophie looked up, her sister's eyes full of fear. "Didn't you hear? It's been in the newspapers since his return."

Sophie shook her head. "No, what?"

"Madame Suliman and King Roland are out looking for that wizard, Howl." Lettie practically spat his name out like he didn't deserve her speaking it. "She said he turned Justin into a scarecrow and sentenced him to a life of misery."

Sophie sat back in shock. Madame Suliman knew more than anyone that Howl took part in saving Justin's life, using Heen as her spy dog to keep tabs on them. This was just typical of Suliman's schemes, hoping that she would be able to get Howl all to herself.

But what surprised Sophie more was that she never knew of this hunt for Howl. Lettie said the news had been in the papers for a year now, and Sophie knew she had read the news hundreds of times since then. How could she have missed it?

Lettie grabbed her hand. "Sophie, did you save my Justin from Howl?"

Sophie clenched her jaw. "I guess I did."

Tears filled Lettie's eyes. "Thank you. If it weren't for your bravery, I don't think I would be as happy as I am right now."

Sophie pursed her lips, faking a smile. "I'm glad."

They finished their meal and continued shopping, but Sophie had a feeling she wasn't quite finished with Justin yet.

Or Howl.

. ❀ 。• * ₊ ° 。❀ ° 。

Sophie threw the shopping bags on the floor and crossed her arms. "What do you mean you're leaving again?"

"I won't be gone long." Howl said frantically. He rummaged through the drawers, searched on top of the dressers, and inspected everywhere in their disorganized bedroom for something he needed on his next trip. "Just a couple of days."

"But why?" Sophie asked, her voice desperate for answers. "What is so important that you have to leave us again?"

"I'm not leaving you. There are just some responsibilities to other people I have to other people, as well." Howl found a crumpled up letter underneath his stack of crinkled shirts and snatched it. He pushed it into his pants pocket with sly fingers, as if he thought that could keep her from noticing. He held her shoulders, slowly dropping his hands to rub her arms. "You know I hate saying goodbye."

"Yet you do it all the time."

He sighed and tightened his grip slightly. "Sophie, please understand. I don't have a choice in the matter."

"Of course you have a choice!" Sophie pulled away from him. "Does being with your family mean anything to you?"

"Being with you means everything to me." Howl said, his voice stern and rigid. "That's why this is so hard."

"Well, it doesn't look too hard from where I'm standing. You look ready to go any second."

"Sophie, don't argue with me on this."

"Just tell me why and at least I'll feel more comfortable."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Let it go, Sophie."

"No!" Sophie pushed him back and he tripped onto the bed. She held angry fists at her side, tightening them harder and harder with each passing second. "I will not let it go. You obviously believe there is something more important than the relationship you have with your family. We miss you, Howl. I miss you. I never see you anymore."

"I've been home for a month."

"And you said that was the last time you would leave us again."

Howl sighed and covered his eyes, remembering the promise he made to them only a few weeks ago. Even he believed his own words until reality smacked him in the face again. This wasn't a typical mission of his, though, and he knew more than anyone the dire situation at stake. The more who were aware of this task, the more people he would be putting at risk.

It was best she didn't know.

"I'm sorry, Sophie. You just have to trust me."

"I don't know if I can anymore."

Howl blinked and lifted his chin to see her. "Sophie, what have I ever done to make you think so low of me?"

"You just don't get it, do you?" Sophie whispered and shook her head. "You may have important business to take care of, but you don't realize how much it takes over your personal life, the life you have with us. I don't want to sound like a clingy girlfriend, but when I never see you it hurts me more than you can imagine. You come and go as you please thinking that's normal, but it's not."

Sophie stood still, her fists clenched by her side. She and Howl rarely fought, and this was an argument she had waited too long to bring into the light.

Howl hung his head low, staring at his feet in shame. He knew Sophie needed him; he knew this home needed him. But other people needed him, too. And he was the only wizard who could complete this task.

Howl stood up slowly, hoping to catch a glimpse of Sophie's gaze. She turned her cheek to him, forcing herself not to cry. She wouldn't let him do this to her again and get away with breaking her heart once more.

He cupped one side of her face and kissed the cheek closest to him, sucking gently. She didn't move, didn't react to his affection. He moved his lips to her ear. "I'm sorry, Soph."

She closed her eyes tightly, and in an instant, he had vanished.

"Fine, have it your way." Sophie rushed out of the bedroom, storming down the staircase. Markl heard her fierce steps from his seat on the couch and hid under the blanket, Heen following close behind him. She rushed to the coat rack, shoulders propped back and arms swaying back and forth.

"Uh, are you okay Sophie?" Calcifer said, wondering if he should even ask. Howl had told them in advance about his departure, and the Pendragon household had already prepared for Sophie's possible outbursts.

"Oh, I'm fine." Sophie said, her voice harsh. "Perfectly fine. In fact, I have never been better."

Calcifer gulped. "Oh, well... that's good."

Sophie took her favorite hat – the light brown one with the little red ribbon wrapped around it – and forcefully placed it on her head. "I'm heading out, Calcifer. I don't know when I'll be back."

Calcifer blinked. "Heading out? Where are you going at this hour? It's almost dark."

"None of your business." She whipped her head back to face him. Markl covered himself under the blanket once more. As much as he loved Sophie, he was deathly afraid of her when she was angry.

And he was very aware that she would be like this when Master Howl told her he was leaving yet again.

"I'll be back later." And before Calcifer could respond, Sophie had slammed the door behind her. If Howl didn't have time to protect his name, then it was up to her.

. ❀ 。• * ₊ ° 。❀ ° 。

Sophie felt her spine tingle as she focused on the grand staircase leading to the Kingsbury Palace. It had been so long since she last walked up those stairs. At least this time she was younger and didn't have a heavy dog to carry up.

The guards recognized her presence and directed her to the grand entrance. The climb alone took a great deal of time to accomplish, and she breathed heavily by the time she reached the entrance. She wiped her forehead clean of the sweat that had stained her skin. Part of Sophie wanted to talk with Justin about why they tortured their guests with such a long, abusive climb, but that wasn't why she had come to see him.

It was one thing to ask her sister to marry him after countless proposals to herself, but it was another to accuse Howl of crimes he hadn't committed.

Sophie knew the horrible things Howl had done. All of them. He had admitted to every wrongdoing and had carried the guilt alone for so long. Sophie helped him heal from the wrongs he burdened himself with and helped him atone for them.

She knew Justin's scarecrow predicament was far from Howl's fault - and the seemingly perfect Prince knew that as well.

Justin was trying to get her focused on him, and now he had her full attention.

Sophie just couldn't get it out of her head why she had been blind to these accusations for so long. Lettie had said the newspapers have been broadcasting it since his return over a year ago. Sure, they had been a flying castle for a couple months before Sophie and Howl decided it was time to join society again, but that still wasn't enough for her to never have heard of an arrest warrant.

Maybe that was his reason for always leaving. Maybe he knew they were searching for him. And if Justin knew she was still in love with Howl, that they were living together, then he knew Howl's location.

Why wouldn't he have made his move to arrest Howl yet?

"Presenting, Miss Sophie Hatter of Market Chipping." One of the guards trumpeted her arrival as she walked down the luxurious hallway. Sophie got an eerie feeling being in the Palace. Its dark features and grim appearance didn't make it the safe haven most people believed it to be. A long, red carpet led her path to the throne room. She held her shoulders back and her head high as the guards opened the doors for her.

She took long, deep steps into the dark and dingy room until she reached a safe distance from the King of Ingary. He sat slumped in the center throne, no crown on his head but his war uniform pristinely proper - even with no presence of an approaching war. His attention was focused on everything but her.

"Um, your majesty?" Sophie said in an irritant tone. King Roland turned to her, but quickly lost interest.

"What is it you desire?" He pursed his lips as a maid brought a mirror to him. He fixed his hair and smiled at his reflection. Sophie wasn't very fond of the King. For the longest time, she thought Justin deserved the crown instead of his lazy, semi-aggressive older brother. He had always been childish while Justin appeared the more mature.

"Well, I–"

"I believe she is here to see me." King Roland and Sophie turned to Prince Justin. He rested his arm against the doorway Sophie entered through. The first thing she noticed was his smile - that dainty, blissful smile he always wore around her. He walked down the carpet until he reached Sophie, his eyes filled with much elation. As he stopped next to her, she narrowed her eyes.

"You would be correct." Sophie said harshly, crossing her arms.

The King whistled loudly, his attention now focused on them. "Damn, brother. What'd you do to piss her off?"

"How about we take a walk, shall we?" Justin gestured toward a door leading out to the gardens. Sophie would have rather talked in a more formal setting, but she wasn't in the mood to deal with the King's presence.

She groaned and followed Justin to the gardens. It was mostly how she remembered it from the time she and Howl were escaping from Madame Suliman, though she wasn't focused on the extravagant flowers and shrubberies then.

"So, what do I owe the pleasure of my future sister-in-law's visit?" Justin asked in a casual tone, which annoyed Sophie.

She crossed her arms as they walked. "Surprising news, I'll say, considering you had made your own proposal to me that very day. And several times before."

Justin laughed, staring off into the distance. "Oh Sophie. You wouldn't understand."

Sophie stopped, glaring her eyes at him. "Try me."

He turned to her and raised his eyebrows. "Trust me."

"Shocking - I don't."

"Why did you really come here, Sophie?" Justin continued walking again, leading her to a fountain surrounded by large shrubs and a few exotic trees, most of which she'd never seen before. The remnants of the sunset beautifully shone against the water, sunlight dancing off the pristine waterfall. "For some reason, I don't think you came here to talk about my engagement to your sister."

"You're right. I'm here to ask why there is a warrant for Howl's arrest."

Justin laughed heavily, the kind of laugh when hearing a child ask a question with the most obvious answer. "You're just coming to me with this now?"

Sophie clenched her fists with infuriation. "I only heard about it recently."

Justin slowly calmed down and relaxed his laughter, then rested on the edge of the fountain. "Really? Have you not read a newspaper in the last year?"

"That's not the point. The point is you're accusing Howl of turning you into a scarecrow when in reality, he helped save you."

Justin tapped his chin. "Actually, it was your kiss that saved me, not Howl. I wonder if you shared that with Lettie, too."

"He still accepted you and made you feel welcome when you had nowhere to go."

Justin stared up to the sky, sighing loudly. "I don't know. I can't remember much about how I turned into a scarecrow. I can only vaguely see Howl's face."

Sophie narrowed her eyes. "Liar."

He looked up at her, his smile wide. "Am I?"

"Call off the warrant."

His smile drifted into a soft smirk, shaking his head. Sophie kept her stance, making sure he knew she was serious. This side of him was completely different than the prince she'd known. She wondered if it was new or if she just hadn't noticed it before.

"I'll tell you what, Sophie." Justin stood up and walked toward her. She took a step back, but he was still mere inches from her, looking down into her eyes. "I'll take back my accusations against Howl, but it'll come at a cost."

She breathed in heavily. "What do you want?"

His blue eyes glowed in the fading sunlight, and darkened as the sun disappeared behind the hills. "I think you know what I've wanted for a while now."

Sophie sighed in disgust. "What game are you playing?"

"Now if I told you that, I wouldn't be holding all the cards." He leaned in close, whispering softly into her ear. "But I will say this - you're too far in to back out now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 30 12
this is Howls Moving Castle but Kerrigan is Sophie who'd a thought right? don't worry we will make one with (Y/N) as well but for now let Kerrigan ha...
71.2K 2.1K 16
Y/N grew up with her family in the country, living the life of a simple farm girl. But one day, her feet start to carry her away from her home and ar...
6.8K 216 34
My body trembled, but not from the cold. "You frighten me." His brow twitched, eyes darting around the features of my face. "Frighten, or excite?" Hi...
319K 12.6K 27
What if before Sophie there was another? A girl cursed to become a doll within 4 months if her curse was not broken. In order to break it she seeks o...