Silence

By SouthernRose94

Amanda Stone; only 16 when her life was changed forever. Betrayed by her brother, she changes her life so tha... More

1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11

2

1.9K 136 9
By SouthernRose94

With a groan, I rolled out of bed at exactly 5:30 the next morning. My body was stiff and sore all over. Slowly, I shuffled to my bath room and gently removed my night clothes. My eyes landed on my mirror and I slowly took in every bruise on my body. Wolfe hit like a train, I thought as I turned the hot water on and stepped beneath it. School started in two hours, and while I didn't want to go, I knew I had too.

Just as I had finished getting dressed, I remembered. My brother was coming back today. I curled my fists up, itching to slam one in his face. Bobbie and I used to be close when we were younger. He told me once that he'd beat the stuffing out of anyone that dared make me cry. And I believed him.

For years, he kept that promise. If he found out someone made me cry, they'd receive the worst beating they ever had. But that night, he chose to take his best friend's side over mine. I knew he saw the blood, the bruises, and the tears on my dress. He could see how shattered I was but he still refused to hear the truth. My brother became dead to me that night. In his place remained someone I didn't care to know anymore.

"You better get moving if you plan on getting to school on time." My dad called up from the kitchen. Before I left my room, I looked in my mirror. My blood red tee shirt, dark blue jeans, black combat boots and black leather jacket made me look like wicked. I just ran my fingers through my hair before grabbing my helmet and wallet.

Just as my foot touched the last step, I froze. "Amanda, come say hello to your brother." Dad called out and I slowly turned to look in the kitchen. Our eyes met and I felt my face become a blank slate. Bobbie's smile faded quickly and I heard our father sigh. "I'm late for school." I say before walking to the door and slamming it shut behind me.

I could feel their eyes on me as I quickly climb on my bike and start it. "Amanda..." Dad started but I slammed my helmet on and tore out of the drive way. I had nothing to say to him. He had betrayed me when I needed him the most. By the time I reached the high school, I had calmed down.

And just like yesterday, everyone watched as I turned my bike off and walked into the building. Heading to my locker, I remove the text books and the only notebook. I didn't care for school, but it gave me something else to think about. The whispers swirled around me as I quickly made my way to first hour.

No one except for Mr. Darcy was in the room. I walked up to his desk and cleared my throat. He jumped and when he saw that it was me, he froze. I stared at him for a full minute before I spoke. "I apologize for yesterday Mr. Darcy."

He blinked several times in surprise and I quickly made my way to my seat. Giving him a half smile, I take my shades off and his eyes widened. Muttering a curse under my breath, I slide down in the chair. I had forgotten to cover the bruises up. But it wasn't anyone's business how I got them except for me.

The students slowly filtered in. And when they saw my face, their curiosity spiked. With a roll of my eyes, I started jotting down the notes. Jason, Ashley, and the rest of my old friends couldn't take their eyes off my face. I didn't want my ex-best friend to hate me. After all, it had been his brother who destroyed me.

Class ended and once again I was the first one out. When I reached Mrs. Johns room, I just went straight to my seat. Her eyes found mine and I could see that she was worried about me, but I just shook my head. She gave me a tight smile and passed out a booklet of problems we had to look up in the book and complete before Friday. Just as she was about to start explaining the chapter, the door opened and I froze.

Bobbie walked into the room and handed her a slip. His eyes found mine and he smiled, but I just glared at him. "Alright Mr. Stone, you can sit by your sister."

"No, he can't." I speak up, not realizing how cold my voice sounded. The entire class turned to look at me before looking back at my brother and Mrs. Johns. My jaw twitched and I was struggling to hold my anger in check. This wasn't the place to lose it.

"Alright. Bobbie, why don't you sit by Jake?" She pointed to an empty seat across the room. Bobbie eyed me but I refused to look his way. I listened to Mrs. Johns' voice, but to be honest, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what she said.

The hour drug by and I was seconds away from screaming when the bell rang. Shooting up out of my seat, I rush out of that small classroom. "Mandy, wait up." Bobbie called after me and I just pushed myself harder. My eyes went to my schedule. I had gym next with a Coach Thompson. That ought to be fun.

Quickly I made it to the gym and found my locker. It didn't take long for me to dress out and make my way outside to the track. My eyes slowly looked around and took everything in. The football team was practicing and my class was standing on the track, waiting. The coach walked out with a clipboard and started calling roll.

"Stone?"

"Present." I call out and his eyes snap to mine. "I was wondering if you were gonna show today." His face was blank, but I could see a sparkle in his eyes. I just shrug. "Alright, I want everyone to give me ten laps around the field and then everyone will be either break off into teams for dodge ball or keep walking."

His voice was loud and it carried. I started stretching and joined the others at the starting line. He blew his whistle and I was gone. Besides the gym, running gave me a way to escape. Even though when I was done, I was still facing the same problems, but I had a calmer mind. On my third lap, I blocked everyone out. The rest of the class was walking or jogging, but not me. The events of the past two days fueled my emotions and I pushed my body hard.

By my tenth lap, I was breathing hard and had just a hint of sweat on my forehead. I snickered when I noticed that I was the first done. With a shake of my head, I look towards the bleachers. I needed to blow more of this steam off and just running around a track wasn't helping. With a shrug, I keep my stride as I run up the steps and back down.

I was so lost in keeping my feet pumping through the burn that had exploded in my lower legs, that I didn't hear Coach Thompson blow his whistle. "Stone!" His voice boomed across the field and I slowed down. That's when I noticed that I was breathing very rapidly and I could taste blood in my mouth. If he hadn't have stopped me, I would have passed out. And it wouldn't have been the first time.

"Yeah Coach?" I call as I slowly jog towards him. I could feel their eyes on me, but I ignored them. He handed me a water bottle and just looked at me. "Class is over. Hit the showers." Nodding once, I take several sips of the cold water to clear my mouth of the metallic taste before dumping the rest on my face.

I was the first in the showers and the first out. The cold water rushing over my body seemed to wash away everything from this morning as I cleaned up. When I stepped out, I just ignored the girl's stares as I dried off and started dressing. When the towel dropped from my back, I heard several gasps. I couldn't tell if it was because of the scars that covered me or the huge black and purple bruises I had received from Wolfe at the gym.

Suddenly, my phone in my back pocket started buzzing. When I pulled it out and saw Dave's face on the screen, I smiled. "Hey Boss." I answered, not caring that the coach or anyone else saw me on talking on the phone. "Stone, listen. Wolfe scheduled a few fights for tonight and one of the opponents dropped out. You want in?"

I laughed as I entered the cafeteria. "Of course, Dave. What time tonight?"

"Your fight starts at 6." I thanked him and slipped my phone back in my pocket. I wouldn't be going up against Wolfe, but I didn't care. I hadn't had a good fight in weeks. I paid for my food and slowly looked around the crowded cafeteria. I spotted Bobbie sitting with Jason and Ashley. She smiled when she saw me and waved at me. I knew she wanted me to sit with them but I didn't want to.

Finally I spotted a table by a solid wall and I made my way to it. Sitting with my back pushed against the brick wall, I slowly start to each my lunch. My thoughts turned towards my fight. Over the past year and a half, I managed to save up quite a nice bundle from fighting at the gym at night. I almost had enough to buy a nice little apartment closer to the gym.

I didn't notice the guys walking towards me until they set their trays down at my table. Looking up, I recognized them from the gym. One was Wolfe's brother, but the others were regulars. "What happened to you?" Jason Wolfe asked and I looked at him. He hadn't been at the gym last night, but the others had been.

They grinned at me and I nodded at them. "A wolf and a stone wall had a little meeting yesterday." He looked at me confused. His friends snickered and I couldn't stop the smile that grew on my lips. "What do you mean?"

"Ask your brother how hard a stone hits, Wolfe." I said with a chuckle, before standing up. I had maybe five minutes of lunch left before I had to head to science. By that time, his friends were laughing hard and he glared at me before reaching for his phone.

With a sigh, I made it to my last class and picked a seat in the back. The classroom was empty and I laid my head on the top of the desk. This was my last year in this town, I promised myself. Once I graduated, I was leaving for college and never setting foot back inside the state.

I heard the humming before I heard him. Slowly I lifted my head and watched as a man in his mid-twenties walked in the room, his attention glued to the papers in his hands. He must have felt my eyes on him, because his head slowly lifted and our eyes met. "You must be Stone."

I nod and he smiles at me. I don't return it, but I couldn't help notice that it made him look younger. As I stared at him, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had met him before. Suddenly his eyes darken and before I could register it, he was standing beside me. "What happened?"

It took me a little bit to understand that he was asking about my bruises. "Listen, if things at home are out of hand, you need to tell someone." I laughed softly but it was forced. "Not that it's any of your business, but I got these from a sparring match yesterday at my gym." He looks in my eyes and slowly nods. As he turns to go back to his desk, my eyes catch the bottom half of a tattoo on his arm.

So that's why he looked familiar. Last year, we had a fight and I beat him. And then a few months ago, he bought the gym.

His class flew by faster than I thought. And I was glad that he didn't assign any work for the evening. After class, Mr. Williams tried to get my attention, but I hurried out. I was at my locker when my father called. "Hello."

"Amanda, you and your brother need to be home by five tonight. We're going out to eat at Mario's." My hand freezes on top of my science book. He had finally done it. He had proposed to his girlfriend and finally decided that it was time he introduced his kids. "...she's looking forward to meeting you and your brother."

I scoff and when he sighed, I knew he heard. "I can't. I have plans tonight."

"Cancel Amanda, you're coming."

"I can't. I promised I'd be there and I can't just break it this late. Take your son; I know he'd be happy to meet her." He fell silent and I hung up. My father had no clue what happened to me, and it confused him when I became cold and distant to Bobbie. I knew he couldn't understand how the last time he saw me I was his little girl and the next morning, I was someone entirely new.

I slammed the locker shut, causing a few students near me to jump at the sudden sound. Slowly I made my way outside and sighed softly when the sun hit my face. But my peace didn't last long. When I opened my eyes, I frowned when I saw Bobbie leaning against my bike. "Get off." I growl at him as I put my books in the back and locked it.

"Dad wants us to come straight home." He spoke as he slowly stepped back a little. I pull my helmet on and quickly cranked the engine. "I'm not going. He knows. Stay away from my bike." I spat at Bobbie before I backed out of my spot and with a roar, disappeared.

Zc6x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Broken By Britt

Teen Fiction

103 7 1
Theres this girl shes 15 years old, shes funny shes smart shes sweet and shes pretty, but shes got a dark side shes been hurt so many times its had s...
260 5 12
A story of Elena who was born out of wedlock from her single mother Danielle. Danielle has struggled to make sure Elena had the best life , Elena had...
51 1 19
Tiara life unravels as her eighteen birthday approaches. With everything around her changing and people to what will she do when she learns about Rah...