The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

By dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... More

Prologue
The Boy Without a Fairy
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Farewells
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Death Mountain
Dodongo's Cavern
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Darkest Hour
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Epona
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Prelude of Light
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Before the Storm

657 23 26
By dragonrand100

Chapter 53
Before the Storm

A storm was imminent. Billowing clouds draped the sky like a black curtain, plunging the realm into perpetual darkness. The air felt tense, as though the very land was holding its breath in anticipation of what was about to unfold.

Zelda had to stop herself from biting her lip. She hated storms. It wasn't that she was afraid of them, but rather that they reminded her of that terrible night nearly eight years ago when her family had died. If she shut her eyes, Zelda could still hear the cries of Hylian soldiers, the screams of men, women, and children—all butchered like animals in a slaughterhouse. She remembered the ominous bells that heralded the town's impending doom and the crackling flames that hungrily devoured the ransacked city.

"No," she thought. "Don't think about that." There was still hope for her after all of this was done. She took comfort in that, knowing that even if she failed, there was still another left in her line. She would not be the last of House Nohansen.

She breathed deeply, feeling her heart flutter within her chest. She reminded herself that she needed to remain focused and calm. How could one do that when her decisions over the next few hours and days might determine her realm's fate? It wasn't only Hyrule at stake; the fate of the other nine Kingdoms hung in the balance.

"Are you not well, your majesty? You look pale. Shall I send for Lady Impa?" one of her attendants asked. She was a young, dark-haired Hylian, not much older than Zelda.

"I am quite alright," Zelda said. "Thank you."

The woman didn't seem convinced but kept quiet. Both attendants sensed Zelda's fretful mood and went about their work silently.

To settle her uneasy nerves, she tried focusing on the mirror rather than the lonely melancholy her thoughts produced.

The dress Zelda wore was breathtakingly beautiful. The Mithiran seamstresses had outdone themselves. It was white and immaculate. The pink bodice and dress itself were adorned with golden embroidery and glittering gemstones untarnished by war or age. Such a dress had its time and place, but right now, the sight of something so elaborate nearly made Zelda ill.

How could she wear something like this? Even her attendants weren't wearing anything so immaculate. The soldiers, Kakariko's villagers, and the Gerudo mostly wore used garments crisscrossed with stitches from excessive use. The garments she'd adopted for her disguise were in a similar state: torn, faded, and stained with the blood of lives she was forced to take. Zelda hated killing, even if it was in self-defence or duty made it necessary.

Her thoughts drifted towards the bundle of cloth lying on a table beside the bed and the mask within it. After wearing it so often in the last seven years, she'd longed to be rid of it. Now, ironically, she wanted to put it back on, to slip away into the shadows, away from all this attention. Wearing that mask, she had tasted a freedom she would never again know in the life of the court with all its trappings and regalia. She was quickly distracted when one of her attendants handed her a pair of long, white gloves.

Zelda pulled them on and felt the heavy weight of the pauldrons on her shoulders. They felt extremely uncomfortable after her light Sheikan garb.

As much as she hated wearing it, the lavish royal regalia was necessary. Perhaps she had used her disguise for far too long; Zelda wanted her people to see that she was still their princess and to prove that Ganondorf hadn't defeated or killed her, as many claimed. She wanted them to know that she hadn't abandoned them all these years, nor would she.

All she had to do was end this war.

So close, yet so far.

There was a major chasm between Zelda and her goal, a chasm far too wide to cross and so deep that she couldn't see the bottom. But she knew she had to cross it, for it was more than just Hyrule that depended on her doing so.

She should have been happy. The Sages were free; they'd returned with her shortly after escaping the Temple of Time. Now that the barrier had fallen, and in the days since, nearly all had been prepared for the final assault on Ganondorf's tower. In that time, she had been certain the fallen Gerudo king would attack, but in the four days since liberating the Sages, Zelda hadn't heard a whisper of his whereabouts.

Indeed, upon returning to camp, she'd expected to hear news of an impending skirmish. Save for several small sorties, there had been little movement from Ganondorf's army. Each sortie had been repelled, the Blin retreating for the safety of the fallen city, where Ganondorf's followers just watched. Watched and waited.

Ganondorf's forces did destroy the bridge at the city's Southern gate, meaning the Gorons would have to carry several enormous portable bridges and slide them across the narrowest points of the river to let the army cross. That was simple enough in theory, except there were sure to be mages standing on the wall. Archers might not threaten a Goron, but a mage was a different story.

Zelda's eyes settled on the crown, which sat propped upon a cushion on the table beside the mirror.

She stared at it pensively for a moment; it wasn't the same crown worn by the queens of old. The original crown was most likely destroyed, lost during the sacking of Hyrule Castle. However, the two tiaras were similar, both intricately carved to resemble a laurel wreath with a ruby as its centerpiece. Zelda lifted the crown off the pillow, admiring it for a moment. She placed it on her head, nearly wincing as the sharp points of the leaves dug into her skin.

A crown was never meant to be comfortable, she thought. She remembered her father telling her that once.

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown." She remembered that lesson well- a king or queen should never grow complacent. If only her father had been able to heed his own advice. Then again, that might not have been enough to save him in the end.

Before she could praise her attendants, the tent flap stirred, and a breeze whistled through the tent's confines. Link entered, a boy no older than ten trailing at his side. The younger lad was looking at him with total awe, then he caught Zelda's gaze and knelt hastily. He was one of the Pages that Impa had assigned to her.

"Thank you," Zelda said to the youth, gesturing for him to rise. He scrambled up, tripped over his own feet and nearly toppled out of tent flap.

"I'd forgotten just how many questions children can ask in one breath," Navi quipped, her voice light but laced with relief. "Well... almost forgotten."

Link's cheeks flushed at the playful jab, a small smile tugging at the edges of his mouth. It hurt to see how ragged he looked. A green eye patch covered his right eye and, along with the scars across his face, it gave him the look of someone much older. He'd seen far more than most men would in their lifetime.

"Zelda, you look amazing," he stammered, sounding genuinely surprised as he took in the sight of her dress.

"Thank you," she replied, smiling. "I hope the boy didn't keep you too long."

"Not at all," Link said, his voice a touch too quiet. "It feels strange to be the centre of so much attention. I'm not quite sure I'm used to it."

Zelda chuckled, the sound tinged with melancholy. "I know what you mean."

"He wouldn't stop with the questions," Navi piped up, "and that was before the Zora joke."

Link groaned, shooting Navi a mock glare. "Did you have to bring that up?" He met Zelda's gaze with a silent apology. "It's nothing."

"Zora joke?" Zelda parried, her curiosity piqued as Link blushed. "Well, let's hear it. I could use a little levity about now."

"Honest, it's nothing," Link stammered, standing a little straighter, the formality stiff against the backdrop of Navi's obvious amusement. 

"I'll be the judge of that," Zelda told him her voice firm yet playful 

Link and Navi exchanged glances, a silent debate on who should answer first. Finally, Navi took the plunge. 

"What do Zora use to tune their instruments?" she chirped, watching Link groan and run a hand through his hair. 

Oh dear. Triforce of Wisdom or not, it didn't take Zelda long to work out where this was going.

"Tuna of course," she answered, allowing herself a smile that reached her eyes. "Oh dear. That was quite awful. I must remember to  tell Ruto."

"Isn't one war enough?" Navi asked.

Link cleared his throat, breaking the spell. "You wanted to see me, my queen?" he asked formally,  sending a sidelong glance at Navi. 

Zelda felt a mixture of touch and pain at the formality. She wanted him to see her as a cousin and friend, not just a mentor and queen. "Link," she said softly, "you do not need to call me that. Please, just call me Zelda."

"Alright," he agreed with a hint of a smile. "If I may ask, where did you get the dress?"

"A gift from Prince Owain of Mithira," Zelda answered. Noting the confusion that furrowed Link's brow, she resisted the urge to explain the complex betrothal and the political intricacies of her marriage, realising it wasn't the time.

"Never mind," she said with a shake of her head. That's something I can explain later, and I have a lot to fill you in on. Here," she paused, her voice catching for a moment. "There's something I wanted to show you."

Sensing the solemn shift in her mood, Navi and Link waited silently as she turned her attention to a bundle on the table, revealing a mask wrapped within. Curiosity overcame Link, pulling him closer to get a better look at the object.

"What is that?" Link asked, glancing at the mask. He gasped, recognising the eerily familiar features of the face upon the wooden frame. 

"Is..." Link's voice trailed off, sounding slightly disturbed. "Is that...?"

"Sheik," Zelda whispered, her voice almost quavering as she held the mask, "She managed to escape Castletown but was wounded. Impa and I found her in the forest, near death..." Zelda swallowed, trying not to let her thoughts fall into the depths of those dark days. "It was her idea... Impa didn't like it, but..."

The room fell silent, the weight of loss, of Sheik's sacrifice, settling over them like a shroud.

"She died fulfilling her oath," Navi murmured, her wings drooping as she came to rest on Link's shoulder. 

Zelda swallowed the lump in her throat, her composure almost slipping. "She did."

"What do you plan to do?" Link asked quietly.

"We bury her with honour," Zelda said, voice steadily growing firm. "We will place her in the Royal Tomb, once this is over."

"Do you want me to do it?" Link asked, to which Zelda felt a rush of gratitude.

"Why don't we all go?" Navi suggested with a woefully halfhearted attempt at enthusiasm, which Zelda couldn't fault.

"Yes," Zelda agreed with a nod, placing the mask back in its chest, "But for now, we must focus on the task at hand."

Her words caused a shift in the atmosphere, a sense of both anticipation and dread.

"This is it, isn't it?" Link questioned, anticipating the impending discussion about their final assault on Ganondorf's Tower.

"Almost," Zelda replied, her voice steady. "I trust Nabooru has been keeping you busy these last few days?"

"If you count beating the crap out of me with her scimitar, then yeah, she has," Link responded dryly.

"You know she has to," Zelda admonished gently. "She grew up knowing Ganondorf, and she knows his fighting style better than anyone else."

Link's eye met hers, and a subtle tension lingered between them. Zelda could see the apprehension in his gaze, but there was also a determination that mirrored her own.

"Shall we then?" Zelda asked, holding herself a little taller. As she regarded Link, she took a moment to glance at Link's eye patch, feeling an unsettling chill. She recalled the vision in the Spirit Temple, where Link had only one eye. She pushed the thought away, vowing not to let it become a reality.

She must have stared too long because Link frowned ever so slightly.

"Are you..." he began, but Zelda cut him off.

"I'm fine..." she said, putting some strength into her words, even as she took a moment to compose herself. "Come, let's not keep the Sages waiting."

The weight of responsibility hung heavily on her shoulders as she stepped outside the tent, flanked by guards. The camp hummed with activity, and the soldiers acknowledged her presence with crisp salutes. Zelda knew that Toru or Impa had informed them, and any surprise they felt was expertly concealed.

Moving through the heart of the bustling camp, Zelda felt determination surging within her. She took a moment to appreciate the varied reactions among the soldiers and civilians as they saw her. Some cheered, their voices rising over the camp's ambience.

"The Red Lion!" they shouted.

"The Phoenix flies again!"

Zelda took her time, pausing to listen to those who spoke to her, committing their names to memory. Most were overjoyed to see her. Unfortunately, not everyone shared similar sentiments. More than once, she saw someone muttering, refusing to meet her gaze. One man, a runner by the looks of his uniform, spat in Zelda's direction. One of her guards stepped forward, and judging by his apparent affront, there was no doubt he intended to brain the runner.

"Don't," Zelda hissed, glancing sharply at her guard. The man gazed at her curiously and then quickly fell back in line.

"He shouldn't have been so disrespectful," Navi muttered.

"They have the right to be angry," Zelda whispered, walking in step with Link. "As far as they are concerned, I fled instead of remaining in Hyrule."

Link glanced at her questioningly. 'Surely they realize there was nothing you could do?' he asked, keeping his voice low. 'You could not help Hyrule by staying out in the open and getting killed.'

"They don't all see it that way,'"Zelda said, equally quiet.

They made their way through the camp's winding makeshift streets. As they reached one of the camp's larger pavilions, Zelda turned to see a crowd had amassed behind her. They were mostly Hylian, and they were all staring at her.

"I don't think you're getting out of this one," Navi said quietly.

To her dismay, Zelda realized Navi was right. Now that she'd appeared, many would be looking to her for guidance. She was, or rather would be, Hyrule's queen.

General Toru, Rauru, and Impa stepped out of the pavilion, greeting Zelda as they came to join her. Rauru took one look at the crowd, then glanced at Zelda, giving her a slight nod. He must have been using telepathy to communicate with Impa, for she too turned, gesturing so subtly towards the crowd that Zelda doubted anyone else would have noticed.

You can do this, she seemed to say. This is your moment. None of us can do it for you.

Zelda offered both Sages a smile in return, took a deep breath, and then for the first time in many years, she turned to face her people. The last time she'd ever done this was beside her father, listening attentively as he addressed his subjects. Seeing her standing before them, those closest to Zelda fell into a hushed silence. Their neighbours followed suit, their attention drawn towards Zelda.

"I know that some of you feel that by fleeing Hyrule, I have broken the oaths my father made," she began, raising her voice and maintaining her strong composure. "I know there are those who believe I abandoned Hyrule to its fate, that I abandoned you, her people. As I stand here before you now, I ask you to stay your judgment," she paused, surveying the attentive crowd. "Rest assured that since the day I was exiled when Castletown fell, the people of Hyrule have not left my thoughts. Long has it been my desire to return and seek the same justice that we all desire. We have all suffered in this conflict. There isn't a family in Hyrule who hasn't lost someone in this war. Many of you still grieve for what has been done. We have all suffered, we have all known loss, and I share this sorrow with you." It was an effort to keep her voice from cracking on those words, and more of an effort not to yield to the burning sensation behind her eyes. Link watched her with a look of concern, and she pressed on. "I know that you're angry, and you have every right to be. Though we stand amidst the ruins of a broken kingdom, we stand as a people united. We stand as an alliance of unified kingdoms, of unified races, a unity the likes of which has not been witnessed in living memory. Together, we will end Ganondorf's tyranny, and bring to rest the bitter sorrows of our fallen. Together we will reforge Hyrule, just as we have always done, no matter the calamity we have faced. The banner of Hyrule's kings and Queens, the phoenix, stands as a testament to this. Despite the trials we face, Hyrule will rise again from the ashes."

Before anyone could object, Zelda unsheathed one of her daggers and ran its edge along the palm of her left hand. Blood welled from the cut. It stung, and she saw Link wince, no doubt recalling the last time she'd done something similar. Zelda held her bloody palm up for all to see. 'This is my blood oath to you. I will not rest until Hyrule is free from Ganondorf's treachery. Together we will end this war, and the phoenix will fly again!'

Zelda's heart was thundering loudly in her chest as she finished, and her mouth was dry from the nerves she had been struggling to hold back. At her final words, a chorus of cries rose up as her words became a chant repeated by the throng. "The Phoenix will fly again!"

Gorons, Zora, Hylian, and Gerudo echoed Zelda's words, and amidst the clamour, Zelda watched over them. Warriors and common folk, all shouting. Her people.

'I think you made quite an impression!' came Darunia's approving voice.

Zelda smiled. "It helps when you have a giant Goron at your back."

Darunia chuckled. 'You are too modest. This was your doing, not mine.'

For a moment, he looked as though he was considering giving Zelda a hearty pat on the back but thought better of it. Zelda's guards wouldn't appreciate it if their queen got knocked into the mud, and nor would she, for that matter.

Zelda turned her gaze back to the others gathered before her.

"General Toru," Zelda said, beckoning the man to her side. "See that everyone returns to their duties, and once you have, join me in the council tent. I must speak to the Sages, and you should also be privy to this discussion."

'As you wish,' Toru replied, bowing and then moving off to fulfil his task.

~ 0 ~

In Zelda's command tent, tension thickened amid the persistent hum of conversation and the scurrying of messengers and attendants. It wasn't the silent tension following an argument; rather, it resembled the rumbling prelude before a storm, the stillness in the air before the wind unleashed its fury.

Link sensed it, and he was sure Saria did too. Her lips were pursed, her expression worried. Glancing at Link, she mouthed, "Are you okay?" To this, he offered a nod and a reassuring smile. Seated on cushions heaped upon a chair, she had refused Darunia's offer of a seat on his shoulder.

The Sages were crowded around a large map on the table, Hylian officers in their finery stood nearby. Most officers mistook Saria for a runner, surprised to learn she was a Kokiri. Link shifted his attention to Darunia, flanked by two imposing Gorons, and Ruto with two Zora guards. Nabooru had Gerudo guards, studying the map with a pursed expression.

The map displayed Hyrule Field, figurines scattered around representing the Ten Kingdoms. A Hylian Crest marked the Zora River, and the Blin's boar sigil showed their position in Castletown. Ganondorf seemed surrounded.

A cold gust brought the scent of rain. Another messenger arrived, handing a letter to Zelda. As she read, her face darkened, and Link noticed the dark circles under her eyes.

"Damn that man!" Zelda hissed. "It seems my speech didn't impress everyone." She slammed the parchment down. "Lords and their damn games. Here we are trying to prevent the end of the world, and all they want is to squabble like children."

"More trouble?" Darunia asked.

"Lord Fenn is gone," Zelda said, frustrated. "He disagreed with my decision to ally with the Gerudo."

"Why would he leave now?" Ruto asked. "That's treason!"

"He did not approve, and he had well over a thousand men," Zelda explained. "Some stayed, but not many."

"Cowards," Nabooru scoffed. "Let them run. The Gerudo and Gorons will make up for their loss."

"I have no doubt," Zelda agreed. "Even with nine of the Ten Kingdoms, we need every soldier. Five mages were in his staff—a significant loss for us."

"We have ample strength to bring down Ganondorf," Darunia declared, lightly thumping the table with his fist. The wood shuddered under the impact, nearly toppling Zelda's tea onto a pile of parchment, much to one scribe's dismay.

Darunia withdrew his hand, grinning sheepishly. "Sorry." When Zelda waved him on, he continued, "With over ten thousand soldiers across the nine war camps, surely that's enough?"

Ten thousand? Link had trouble keeping a straight face. A hundred was a lot to him. As for ten thousand, it seemed unfathomable. Did Castletown even have that many people? He remembered the bustling streets and being overwhelmed by the sheer size of everything while weaving his way through throngs of people.

"Ten thousand would be more than sufficient if Blin were our only adversaries, but we well know that's not the case," Zelda said evenly. "We may have Ganondorf cornered, but aside from destroying Castletown's Southern Bridge and a few small raids, he hasn't shown himself. He's up to something, and I do not know what it is."

"No news is good news, right?" Darunia asked, looking around as if expecting everyone to agree. Nobody did.

"Knowledge is our strength," Zelda said with no hint of reproach. "Without it, we march into an unknown contest, and that could be a trap."

"Right," Darunia grunted, sounding almost embarrassed. "I hadn't thought of it that way."

"Impa, do you have any ideas?" Zelda asked without pause.

Impa shook her head. "No," she said gravely. "I am afraid not. Most of our spies are either dead or missing."

"Whatever it is, we will deal with it," Darunia growled.

"I wish I could share your optimism, Darunia," Zelda said with a soft sigh. "As it is, we have underestimated Ganondorf in the past, and I do not want any surprises." She turned to Toru. "General, double the watch on our perimeter. I want word immediately if the sentries see anything. If a mouse so much as sneezes, I want to know about it. In the meantime, I will send word to our allies. If Ganondorf's army begins their march, sound the alarm. I want to be ready to march and break camp at a moment's notice."

"As you command, your Majesty," Toru said, bowing and then slipping between Darunia's two guards. Several messengers quickly followed after him as Zelda sent them off to deliver their messages.

That left Link, the Sages, and their guards remaining inside the tent. Zelda glanced at them before speaking, "Each of you knows what is expected of us," she said, her voice suddenly grave. "When the path to Ganondorf's castle is clear, it will fall on us to help defeat Ganondorf."

"Your Majesty, there's one more thing," Rauru said, seated across from Impa in his intricate gold and brown robes. "We learned from the incident in the Gerudo Fortress. Ganondorf cannot be killed by ordinary means."

"He can be killed by the Master Sword, right?" Link asked abruptly. "I mean..." Rauru couldn't be suggesting that Ganondorf couldn't be killed at all. "He can be... he has to be."

Link looked around at the other Sages, hoping that someone would affirm what he'd said. In the back of his mind, Courage affirmed Link's fears.

"It's been done before. The Master Sword might kill him, but he will inevitably be reborn," Courage said, its voice sounding oddly heavy and grave. "It is inevitable."

Rauru gazed at Link remorsefully, his moustache twitching. "We must be prepared for the worst, Link. That way, it cannot take us by surprise."

"That's awfully pessimistic, don't you think?" Ruto asked.

"I agree with the fish. This is pessimistic," Darunia grumbled.

Ruto scowled but held her tongue.

"I would not call it pessimism," Rauru explained evenly.

"What are you proposing, Rauru?" Zelda questioned, holding her hand up to silence any further comment.

"We may need to create a seal and then bind him within the Sacred Realm," Rauru answered. "As I was able to discover while I was in the Sacred Realm, there are regions therein that were sealed off and isolated for the exact purpose of imprisoning the Ancients."

"There are prisons in the Sacred Realm?" Link asked, taken aback.

Nobody noticed his question; all their attention was on Rauru.

Nabooru was frowning, unfolding her arms, her expression dark. "Hang on," she said slowly. "Didn't the Sheikah try something similar? As I recall, that didn't end well." She stared at Impa and clarified with, "Meaning no offence, Lady Impa."

"None taken," Impa replied.

"This idea, I do not like it," Darunia growled, looking deeply troubled.

Link didn't like what Nabooru was implying. He gazed between the Sages, suddenly feeling very ill.

"If we cannot remove the Triforce of Power from his possession... we may have no choice," Rauru said.

"As the Seventh Sage, the decision is mine," Zelda said, her voice firm but calm. "If all goes according to plan, then we will not need to worry about creating this seal."

If all goes according to plan. Link found those words far from comforting. It was an effort not to shiver.

Rauru cleared his throat. "Some scholars believe that the one who possesses the Triforce of Power is essentially immortal."

"Why can't Link's Triforce piece do that?" Navi asked dryly. "I mean, it would have made things so much easier."

"Navi!" Link scolded her, not in the least bit amused.

"Being immortal doesn't mean you cannot be killed," Saria said, ignoring Navi, who was busy trading glares with Link. "The Kokiri are immortal after all, but..." she trailed off, her confidence slipping as she recalled something rather morbid. "That doesn't mean we cannot be harmed."

Zelda met Saria's eyes, her expression sorrowful. "I know, Saria," she said gently.

"That is true," Rauru agreed solemnly. "However, it is possible the Triforce of Power can resurrect Ganondorf. It has already done so once before."

"So, we just need to get the Triforce of Power off of him?" Link asked hopefully.

"That, I fear, may be far easier said than done," Rauru told him. "Most scholars do not believe it's possible unless the piece leaves on its own accord to seek out a new host."

"Tell me at least that it's possible, Rauru," Zelda said.

"There is no record of that ever happening," Rauru said. "But, nor have there been recordings of the Triforce splitting, at least... not any that I'm aware of. It may be possible that combining both the Courage and Wisdom shards may cause the shard of Power to leave him briefly so it can reunite with its counterparts. This would allow whoever touches it to make their wish, but that is only conjecture."

"I will need something a little more concrete than conjecture, Rauru," Zelda said firmly. "Are you certain the seal will work if we use it or are you not?"

"It is our best option. There is, however, one small flaw..."

Whatever reassurance Link gained was quickly lost by Rauru's latter admission.

"Why don't I like the sound of this?" Nabooru asked. She looked as displeased as Link felt. Link tried to reach out to Courage, hoping to touch the spirit's mind. Perhaps it had some answers. He could vaguely sense the spirit, and it responded to his tenuous touch.

"Without the Sages to safeguard it, the seal will weaken with time," Rauru explained.

"Some plan," Ruto murmured. "Are you sure you aren't losing your mind, Rauru? This would be a most inopportune time to go senile."

"I'm not there yet," Rauru said, annoyed.

"He's right," Link said, surprising himself and everyone else. As all eyes turned to stare, Link drew a breath. "That must have been what caused the Great Flood, the one the Gerudo spoke of. Something must have broken the seal."

Courage knew this was true, but how, Link couldn't have said. In that brief contact, images flashed through Link's mind. Memories, but not his own. Water. A land drowning beneath a roaring sea, white-capped foam dashing against the rocks of a dying world. Courage had witnessed this distant future, of this, Link was certain.

"It was but one eventuality," Courage explained. "One of many, and I have borne witness to them all. I have seen worlds burn in a cataclysm of fire, drowned and consumed by ancient sorcery most foul. The seal will fail, but that doesn't mean we will. The future is a page waiting to be written and we, not Ganon or the Sheikah, shall be its scribes."

Nobody else heard that voice, and so when Link gazed back at them, Courage's words still ringing in his mind, he saw the question in their eyes. Zelda and Rauru were the only ones who weren't surprised by his momentary lapse in concentration or his claim to know more than he possibly could.

Nabooru's expression grew dark, and not waiting for Link's response, she turned a fierce gaze on Rauru. "Are you saying we're just buying ourselves time?" Her tone turned to outrage, and she practically shouted, "That's it? After everything we have done and been through! This is your idea of a plan! To create a seal that will eventually fail and undo everything? If that's the best we can do, why don't we just give Ganondorf Hyrule now? Better yet, all Ten Kingdoms as-"

"Nabooru, that's enough!" Zelda said, staring down her counterpart, her eyes like cold fire. Several guards peered into the tent to see if everything was alright, but a fleeting glance from Zelda sent them scurrying back to their posts.

Nabooru must have realised she was shouting because she glanced awkwardly at everyone else. "Sorry," she said quickly.

"Maybe it will fail," Link offered, "but there must be a way to make sure we're ready when it does. You can't always stop a disaster, but you can prepare for it."

Zelda inclined her head in approval, her eyes pensive.

"That is perhaps the smartest thing I've ever heard you say," Ruto commented, making Link flush a shade of crimson.

"Is there any way to get through to Ganondorf?" Saria asked. "Make him give up the Triforce of Power willingly so we can use it? Or see the wrong in what he has done, or maybe save him from the demon entirely."

Saria always tried seeing the good in everyone, even those who Link once regarded as his nemeses. Nobody was beyond redemption to Saria, and he admired that about her.

Nabooru looked at her, her expression suddenly unreadable.

"That is a very noble sentiment, Saria, but what you suggest is impossible," Impa said, her voice gentle and almost motherly. "It was my hope that we could, but getting the Triforce of Power from the demon now residing in Ganondorf will be difficult, even if we try to reason with its host."

"So the seal remains our best option?" Link asked. Hadn't Impa said that they could use the Triforce? Or had she reached a different conclusion after talking to Rauru?

"You cannot stop the cycle of rebirth, not even with the Triforce," Courage said. "Sealing him away will buy your descendants time."

"We will have time to discern how to make the seal more permanent, and given Rauru's discovery, I believe that is possible," Impa said. "Link is right. We can put a plan in place to stop him, should the seal fail."

"A splendid plan," Nabooru said dryly. "I'm sure our descendants will agree when Ganon decides to butcher them."

"Nabooru," Zelda warned. "You have made your point already. Do you honestly think that I have not considered the consequences of what we do? Do you think that I do not know what is at stake?" For a moment there was a fire in Zelda's voice, and everyone stared. Link was startled to see this side of her and realized he was gaping with his mouth ajar. He quickly shut it. Zelda didn't seem to notice, her eyes still fixed steadily on Nabooru. "I know what's at stake, Nabooru," she said more gently. "And I am well aware of the difficulties your people face. Do not think that I do not care because I do, and I will do everything I can to set right the wrongs that have been done to your people and mine."

"I..." Nabooru looked abashed for a moment, apparently aware of everyone's eyes settling on her. "Thank you, Zelda."

The briefest pause followed Zelda's near outburst.

"As I was saying," Rauru began when Zelda gestured for him to continue. "The responsibilities and role of each Sage can be given to another should the need arise. So long as that happens, the seal cannot be broken."

"You are certain?" Zelda asked. "If you're wrong, Rauru, our descendants may curse us for generations to come."

"It will work," Rauru answered confidently. His moustache twitched again as he met Zelda's eyes. "You have my word."

"Then, we all agree on this plan?" Zelda looked to each of the Sages, and they each voiced their consent.

Nabooru was last to speak. She drew a deep breath, her expression troubled. "I trust you, Zelda," she said. "If you believe this will work, then I support you. But, if this doesn't work, if something goes wrong..." she trailed off, then added, "There's been enough bloodshed as it is, and I do not want more spilled because we failed to do our duty."

"None of us want that," Zelda said.

Her stony countenance seemed to crack beneath her genuine sympathy.

"What about you, Link?" Zelda asked, and Link suddenly found himself the fixture of attention once again. "Do you agree?"

The question startled Link. In truth, he agreed with Nabooru, but if Zelda couldn't see an alternative and the Sages could not conjure one between them...

"What about going back in time?" Navi suddenly asked. "If I recall, the Ocarina of Time can do that... can't it?"

All eyes rested on her, and Link's thoughts turned towards the instrument in his pocket.

"It can," said Rauru, "in a manner of speaking."

"What do you mean by that?" Link asked, finally unsticking his tongue.

Rauru cleared his throat. "According to the records kept within the Temple of Light, the Ocarina will cause the fabric of reality to split. It is possible that has already happened in the past, and it may again happen if we should try to manipulate time's flow once more."

A lot of blank and confused stares followed these words.

Rauru seemed to realize this and added, "Essentially, time splits like a new branch growing upon a tree. Should we use the ocarina now, this realm would continue to exist with the curse running rampant and unchecked. However, we would be sent into another version of Hyrule, only earlier in time."

Rauru still received a lot of blank and confused looks. Only Zelda remained impassive while Impa tilted her head, but gave no indication she was as lost as everyone else.

"Definitely senile," Ruto muttered, to which nobody said anything.

Rauru noticed the blank faces staring at him and frowned. The silence became unbearably awkward.

"Did you understand a word of that?" Saria whispered to Link.

"No," Link whispered back. "Well, not much of it."

"What I believe Rauru is trying to say," Zelda began. "Is that unless we were to deal with Ganondorf first, that idea won't work. Am I correct?"

"That is correct, your Majesty," said Rauru.

"Then all that remains is getting to the tower," she said, "If everything goes according to plan, we will not join the battle until the final attack on Ganondorf's Tower."

"A pity," Darunia growled, sounding disappointed.

"Once there, we find Ganondorf," Zelda declared simply. "The Gerudo know the layout of the tower, so they will assist us." At this, Zelda traded glances with Nabooru who nodded. "Once there, it will fall on Link to incapacitate him."

"Only Link?" Darunia grumbled. "I wanted a piece of the coward!"

"You and me both, Darunia," Nabooru said.

Zelda sighed. "Darunia, we need you alive. I will not have you, nor any of you—" Link didn't miss her staring right at him as she said this—"Getting yourself killed in a reckless manner."

"You are no fun at all," Darunia complained, though there was a hint of mirth in his voice. "I understand, of course."

"I'm glad," Zelda said. "Is there anything else, Rauru?"

"That is all, your Majesty," said Rauru.

Zelda nodded in agreement. "Alright."

"I should return to my people; I must speak to my generals," Ruto said.

"As shall I," Nabooru seconded. "I'll return to take second watch."

"I'll take the first," Darunia offered. They had agreed at least one of the Sages should remain with Zelda at all times.

"Very well," Zelda replied. "The rest of you can return to the village."

Ruto left, heading for the Zora's camp by the edge of the river. That left Rauru, Impa, and Saria to return to Kakariko, which wasn't far on foot.

As Nabooru left the tent, Zelda insisted she needed to stay and read some reports that had been sent to her. Just as she did, an attendant peered around the tent flap, and realizing they were finished, she rushed in to help Impa.

Link was of a mind to remain with Zelda; however, when their eyes met, she offered a faint smile and subtly gestured for him to go.

"I'll be fine," she told him. "You look dead on your feet. Why don't you drop by the Dancing Goron Inn for a bit? You could use a little respite, and you've earned it."

"My place is with you," Link protested, reluctance etched across his features.

"I'll be fine," Zelda assured him, her smile attempting to mask the weariness in her eyes. "Really. Must I order you to go, or shall I get Darunia to take you?"

Link relented with a nod, though a shadow of concern lingered. Even Courage, a spectral presence at the fringes of his awareness, seemed uneasy.

"Events have transpired differently than I recall," Courage told him. "I cannot say what will happen with absolute certainty, but of this, I can tell you- we are all in great peril, even now."

"Why?" Link asked, feeling a sudden spike of alarm.

"In every path I have traversed, something happens to Zelda," Courage warned him. "Even now, the enemy seeks her."

"That's not surprising."

"I'll see that he gets some rest," Impa said, her eyes not leaving Zelda, unaware of Link's lapse in concentration. "Link isn't the only one who could use some sleep."

"I will," Zelda promised, bidding them farewell. "Link, stop looking so worried. I'm as protected as I'm going to get, and I can find my way out of trouble. I've been doing it for eight years... with no shortage of help, of course." She glanced at Impa, the faintest trace of a grin on the elder Sheikah's face. "Really. I'll be fine."

"I'm not so sure," Courage added warily.

"I'll be back in a few hours," Link said. Zelda looked like she was about to object, then when she saw he was resolute, she set her jaw and nodded.

"If you're that insistent, I'll get someone to arrange your provisions."

Returning the gesture, Link made to leave. He glanced back over his shoulder once, to see Zelda speaking to an attendant, then when she cast him a glance and ushered him outside, he left.

With Saria, Rauru and Impa with him, Link came to a fork in the makeshift street leading to the different camp battalions. He kept looking back the way they came, unable to shake the cold sense of dread that chilled him.

"What is it?" Navi asked, noticing his concern.

"I'm not sure," Link said. His place was by Zelda's side, not in Kakariko. Something didn't feel right about the night, as though there was a foul smell in the air. Then he shook his head and said as lightly as he could muster, "Just me being paranoid, that's all."

"Zelda is well protected," said Impa, sensing Link's thoughts. "I would not have left if she wasn't. She has a guard of Hylian Knights to protect her, not to mention three of the Sages, and several sorcerers. I would trust them with my life."

Still uncertain, Link just hoped she was right. Courage's warning nagged at him.

"I'll warn you of any danger," Courage promised. "I can still sense Wisdom, if anything goes wrong, I will know."

Link led the way, leading the short distance from the camp to Kakariko.

If anything went wrong. There was a pleasant thought.

~ 0 ~

Upon arrival, Link decided to check on Epona before heading to the inn. The others promised to meet him at Impa's house.

Promising to return soon, Link headed towards the stable. Needlessly, he checked that Epona had sufficient food and that her water trough was full. Epona whickered, greeting him with a nudge.

Link gave Epona a few carrots, which she stared at for several moments before giving him an indignant look.

"What? You used to like them," he said, deciding to let the horse be fussy. He left Epona and rounded the steps of the inn, almost running into Ingo as he came out the front door.

"S'pose you're here to see Malon," he said gruffly, not bothering to step to one side. "She's inside. With Talon."

"Talon?" Link exclaimed, shocked. "What's he doing here?"

"Visiting his daughter, I suspect," said Ingo as though this was extremely obvious. Link made for the door, stepping around the man.

"I'm still talking to you," Ingo continued gruffly, making Link stop short and turn. Ingo looked like he was attempting to swallow something rather painful. "I just wanted to say, thank you for rescuing her. I didn't mean it when I said I'd hurt her. I mean, I know I did in the past, but I regretted it. It ain't been easy lately."

Link had almost forgotten the day he'd stolen Epona from the ranch.

"I was glad to be rid of the beast," Ingo continued. "Unruly thing she is. Kept trying to kick me and damn near knocked out the smithy trying to shoe her. Charged me a fortune for that he did."

Link frowned. Had Ingo just thanked him for something?

"I think the innkeeper's done something to him," Navi whispered so Ingo couldn't overhear.

Link hid a smile as he answered, "You're welcome."

"I made a promise to Malon's mother that I'd look after her. She was a good woman, despite being part Gerudo and all... well, uhh, best be off."

His hand twitching in what might have been a handshake, Ingo shuffled uncomfortably, gave Link an amiable nod, cleared his throat and trudged off, leaving a gobsmacked Link staring after him.

"What do you suppose he's been drinking?" Navi asked.

"I don't know," Link said, shaking his head. "But honestly, he can keep drinking it."

Navi chuckled, and they headed inside, lured by the merry sounds of music. The noise rose to a swell as Link opened the door and walked into the warm common room. Unlike the last time he'd been here, it was filled with people from all walks of life, not all of them Hylian.

A small troupe of musicians stood upon the dais, and space had been cleared in the room's centre where some patrons were dancing. Dishes lined the benches, but only a few people were picking at their food. A handful of serving staff hurried to and from the tables. The rest were busy listening to music or watching the dancing if they weren't joining in themselves. Master Evert, whom Link had never particularly liked, seemed in unusually high spirits. He was smiling and appeared unbothered by the fact that most of his staff weren't working. Or maybe he'd just given up trying to get them back to their chores.

Delicious dinner smells of gravy, peppers and meat made Link's stomach rumble. More than one person glanced in his direction, some pointed and appeared uncertain whether or not they wanted to approach him. His unshaven and scar-ridden appearance was probably not doing favours, and he doubted the eyepatch was helping matters either. Word of Zelda's guard, or squire as some preferred to call him, had spread.

Link wasn't left to dwell on these thoughts for long, and the inn's infectious mood managed to lift his spirits even before he spotted what he was looking for.

Talon and Malon were seated at a table near the fireplace. Malon saw him and waved, smiling. He was glad to see that she looked happy again, no doubt overjoyed to see her father after so long.

That thought made Link hesitate. He wondered if it would be appropriate to interrupt Malon and Talon so soon after they were finally reunited.

How had Talon even gotten here?

Zelda said the army attracted a lot of people, many providing services essential to the army's survival. Deciding it was best not to disturb them, Link waved back and then slipped behind the crowd forming in the middle of the common room. He didn't get far; Malon had gotten up and was hurrying towards him, grinning broadly, gently shuffling through the throng. She looked far more like the young girl he remembered from years ago as she grabbed him by the hand.

"Link, you're back!" she said, sounding far more lively than the last time he'd seen her. "My father returned this afternoon. Come on. I'm sure he'll be eager to see you."

She almost dragged him back to where she'd been sitting. Talon got up when he saw Link, a broad grin brightening his otherwise tired face.

"Link, my boy!" he said jovially. "By the Goddesses, it's good to see you lad!"

Malon let go of Link and Talon give him a hearty, good-natured slap on the back. "Can't keep you out of trouble for a minute, eh?" Talon said, his cheer infectious. "What in the blazes did you do to yourself this time?"

Link realized Talon was staring at his eye, and for a moment, something seemed to puncture that bubble of happiness inside him. "It was a sparring accident," Link lied.

"Ouch." Talon winced, but something in his expression told Link he'd seen through the lie. "Here, let me get you a drink."

"No, no, it's fine," Link said hurriedly. He had no desire to get drunk again. At least not after last time. "Besides, I can't stay long."

"Goron Fire Ale spoil your appetite?" Talon asked. Link was mortified that Talon remembered, but he just chuckled. "Not to worry, I'm sure we can find something. Mulled cider perhaps?"

"Milk's fine," Link found himself saying.

That sure stopped Talon short. He looked surprised. "Milk? he asked incredulously. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Link said quickly, taking a seat.

Malon appeared close to laughing.

"Well, I'm not saying the stuff's bad... I made a livin' out of it after all, but uhh..." he stared at Link's one eye and saw the youth wasn't about to budge. "Well, in that case... each to their own."

Talon quickly caught the attention of a passing maid who took Link's order. She walked off, looking bewildered.

"I have to get something. I'll be right back," Malon announced. She hurriedly got up and vanished into the crowd of patrons. She soon returned, one hand held behind her.

"Here, I brought you something," she said. "I asked one of the carpenters in the village to make it. But, it's only small." She held out her hand, revealing an intricately carved horse figure. "It's not much-" Malon began.

"It's beautiful," Link breathed as he took hold of the horse, still warm from Malon's touch. Even the best woodcarver amongst the Kokiri would have been impressed by the details in the small piece. He could see the horse's eyes, the hooves, and even the lines in its mane and tail. There was even a tiny name carved into the saddle.

Epona.

"Thank you," Link said, turning the miniature horse over in his hands. "It's amazing."

Malon blushed. "You know," she said, eyeing him questioningly, "You never told me what you did to Epona's tail?"

"What do you mean?" Link asked innocently.

"You cropped it. A horse's tail isn't supposed to be an inch or two long," she said.

"It was an accident," Link insisted, thinking it wise not to mention he'd nearly gotten himself and Epona incinerated by a beamos. "Besides, I thought it looked good."

"It looks ridiculous," Malon said incredulously. "What possessed you to think it was a good idea?"

He shrugged.

At that moment, Link's milk arrived. He busied himself with downing it as fast as possible, not giving Malon any chance to speak.

Their food arrived next: a simple dish of chicken, potato, and other fresh vegetables with gravy heaped on top. Link fished a rupee out of his pocket, but Talon refused to let him pay. Further conversation was soon forgotten as everybody turned their attention towards the musicians.

As one song ended Link applauded with the rest of the audience.

"You know," Malon said, her eyes lingering on a minstrel who'd been playing earlier. "I always thought of becoming a minstrel... Imagine the places you'd see."

"Wouldn't you miss Lon Lon?" Link asked.

"A little," Malon admitted. "But after everything that's happened, I don't think things will just go back the way they were."

"No," Link agreed, a dull pain in his stomach. "Probably not."

"I'd have plenty of stories to tell. Everybody would be itching to tell the story of the Hero of Time." She was grinning mischievously, both hands resting against her chin.

Link went a shade of scarlet. He was glad it was noisy, and that their neighbours at the next table were busy sharing a joke.

"I'm sure," he mumbled, before adding more loudly. "I just hope you plan on giving me a more heroic title than fairy boy."

Malon snorted. "I could probably come up with a nice song or two with that name-"

"Don't." If the Gorons ever figured out that particular nickname... Link cringed at the thought.

"Alright then. I'll just have to think of something even less heroic than that..." she furrowed her brow in mock concentration. "Hmm... what to call you...."

"I'll pay you not to do that."

"Ohh... I like the sound of that..." Malon's smile broadened. "How about..." she paused. "A thousand rupees?"

How did this conversation ever go in this direction? Link thought, groaning inwardly. He saw Navi snickering silently and felt a flicker of betrayal.

"Deal," Link answered, deciding to play along with the jest.

Malon laughed. It was a beautiful sound. "You thought I was being serious, didn't you?" she asked.

For the briefest moment, surrounded by the joyous sounds of music and laughter, Link forgot the troubles that lay beyond the inn's door. He felt an odd sort of peace that seemed completely foreign. It was like a brief pause in the middle of a storm. A brief interlude in which all seems calm again, right before the howling winds return.

"You alright?" Malon asked, suddenly frowning. "You looked a little distracted for a moment."

"I... I'm fine," Link said, shaking himself out of his stupor. "Just tired that's all."

He thought he better leave before Impa sent someone to fetch him. It was dark outside now, the streets lit by the light of torches and lanterns, and Link still felt bone tired. He'd only get a few hours respite, and then he'd return to Zelda's side. Even as he considered this idea, Talon, who'd briefly gone to converse with another patron, returned and announced that he was going to get some sleep. With that, he left, leaving Link and Malon to enjoy each other's company.

The musicians began to play a lively song, their drums beating to the tune of a dulcimer. More instruments quickly joined in.

"Will you dance with me, Link?"

The question caught him off guard, slapping him out of his sleepy stupor with the force of a hammer. "Uhh..." he managed. "I'm... I can't dance."

"I can teach you," Malon said, her face eager. "Come on!"

"No, really, I can't dance," Link insisted, stumbling over the words. "Right, Navi?"

Navi was staring at him mischievously. Was it just him, or was she smirking?

Thanks, Navi, he thought.

"Alright, just once."

He definitely wasn't getting out of this one.

~ 0 ~

Zelda admonished herself for desiring to remain in the camp, even though she believed it was her rightful place as Hyrule's Queen. The camp provided safety; over a dozen sorcerers in the Hylian war camp were responsible for the wards protecting the settlement. Additionally, the Sages had contributed their own wards, and Darunia was on watch nearby.

The tent flap rustled, and one of her attendants entered, carrying a silver tray with a pot of tea covered by a cloth to shield it from the rain.

"Thank you," Zelda said, offering a pleasant smile as the woman placed the tray on the table and removed the cloth.

The dark-haired Hylian attendant curtsied deeply and then hurried away. As she reached the tent flap, another figure approached – Toru, his tall form standing at the entrance clad in gleaming steel plate armour, illuminated by the enchanted flame of a nearby torch.

Zelda felt a chill run down her spine. If Toru was present himself, rather than sending a messenger, something must be awry. Hurriedly rising from the bed, she stood as the man entered.

To her surprise, Toru brushed past her attendant, almost knocking the woman over. The attendant stared at him in disbelief. Toru, known to most in the Hylian camp, was not typically so discourteous.

"Lord General, is something wrong?" Zelda inquired, taken aback by his lack of courtesy.

Toru glanced at her, rainwater dripping from his cloak and helm, his eyes void of warmth.

A sense of the impossible struck Zelda. Numb with fatigue, she detected shadow magic lingering at the edges of her senses, emanating from the Lord General. Stepping back, she inadvertently collided with the bed behind her.

It wasn't Toru; it was a phantom.

Impossible, Zelda thought. Surely, he would have been noticed.

Assassin. Zelda's shock and anger transformed into icy fear. She had anticipated this eventuality, fearing this moment often at night to the extent that sleep eluded her. It was the reason she always kept a knife under her pillow.

"Guards, to me!" she screamed.

"Don't bother, princess," the doppelganger said, smirking. "I've placed my own ward around your tent. They won't hear you."

Reacting instantly, Zelda cast aside her fear. Slipping her hand under a pillow, she gripped the hilt of a knife. The phantom stepped forward, its hand outstretched. The gem within the dagger's hilt shone as Zelda drew on the power stored within it, and she thrust  the blade across the phantom's gauntlet as it reached for her. Smoke rose from the impact and the specter hissed in pain.

Attempting to sidestep, Zelda, less nimble than as Sheik, was backhanded by the phantom, slashing her cheek and sending her crashing onto the fur-skin rug.

She sprang up, ignoring the blood trickling down her face. Dodging a blow aimed at her head, she slammed her dagger into the phantom's chest. Smoke rose from the cut across its breastplate, but the demon appeared unfazed.

Someone must have sensed the wards it cast, Zelda thought, facing the phantom's burning eyes.

The demon attacked again, drawing its own blade. Zelda tried to maneuver around it, aiming for the tent flap. A flash of metal caught her eye, and this time, she couldn't dodge the gauntlet that smashed into her face. Stumbling from the pain, she clambered to her feet, contemplating how quickly she could tear a hole in the tent.

Not quick enough, she realized.

"I would kill you now, but my master insists I am to take you alive," the demon said coldly. "I admit, you've put up more of a fight than I expected."

No, Zelda thought. She had come too far to let some doppelganger assassin undo everything she had worked so hard to achieve. Drawing on the power of her Triforce, Zelda managed to dull the pain, her cheek blazing as though on fire. Still dazed, she rolled onto her back as the phantom advanced.

It retrieved a white stone from its cloak, a portal stone, making Zelda's fear turn to pure terror.

No.

Knowing what would happen if she didn't escape, Zelda snatched up a second dagger and made a final beeline for the tent flap. The phantom grabbed at her.

Zelda twisted, avoiding the demon's hand and thrust her dagger into the demon's neck. To an ordinary assassin, this would have been fatal. The magic-infused weapon should have been enough to kill the phantom.

The demon cursed, and Zelda heard a faint hiss as smoke rose from its neck. Lines of light spread from the blade's point across the specter's neck. The phantom snarled, ripping the dagger free, and tossing it aside. For an instant, its eyes met hers before it turned to the tent flap. Guards stood there, horrified at the sight of General Toru attacking the queen.

Darunia shoved one man aside, holding his hammer in both hands. Two sorcerers charged in front of him, and they were fortunate Darunia had enough sense not to walk over them.

Before anyone could move, and before Zelda could escape, a ring of light surrounded her, and the world went white. The last thing she heard was a bellowing roar. She saw two mages jumping out of Darunia's way as he charged, and then...

Zelda found herself lying on a cold floor of black, hard stone.

Where am I?

Boots thudded against the stone floor, and someone approached beyond her vision. Forcing herself to look up, her blood froze.

Clad in black armour, a black cloak flowing behind him, adorned with intricate red embroidery, was Ganondorf. Surveying her critically, a glint of triumph in his amber eyes, he scowled upon noticing her injuries.

He turned his attention to Zelda's captor. "Idiot!" he snapped, his voice cold. "Does the phrase 'unharmed' mean anything to you? You are fortunate she didn't kill you, but perhaps I shall kill you should you fail to follow my order again."

Beside Zelda, the phantom kneeled. To her dismay, Ganondorf uttered a few words, and the wounds she'd caused closed.

"My dear Zelda," Ganondorf said with mock pleasantry, turning away from the phantom. "I must say, I am most impressed you have evaded me for so long. Such tenacity." An unpleasant, twisted smile crossed his features. "Well, now that you are here... welcome to my tower."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 94 18
The Hero of Time is needed once again! After battling Majora in an alternate Hyrule, Link awakens to find himself in a mysterious forest and his memo...
270 0 39
Zelda had just started to become close with her knight before her kingdom fell to Calamity Ganon. Now, years later, she's found someone that embodie...
668 2 43
Treated as an outcast amongst the mysterious Kokiri children, Link was always different from the others. It wasn't until the Great Deku Tree finally...
458K 15K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...