The Djinni & The Dropout

Galing kay CocoNichole

*Former Title: Grenadine Dreams* When college dropout Naya Burton is tempted with the chance to wish all of h... Higit pa

1. The Hangover
2. The Source of Smoke
3. The Djinni and the Dropout
4. The Monkey Demon
5. The Collector
6. The Lie
7. The Nickname
8. The Servant
9. The Awakening
10. Heat
11. Responsibility
12. Grenadine Dreams
13. Hookah Therapy
14. The Aquarium
15. Banana Pancakes
16. Circles
17. The First Day
18. Girl Talk
20. The Guitar
21. The Sleepover
22. Sinbad
23. Djinniyah
24. Roadtrip
25. Pizza and Passengers
26. The Magus
27. The Elephant
28. The Reverend
29. Moving On
30. Cake
31. A Fire Inside
32. Playing with Fire
33. Firesword
34. The Gourd
35. Ashes
36. The Orphan
37. Changelings and Challenges
38. What Could Be
39. Together Again
40. Second Chances
41. Sizzling
42. Finding Naim
43. The Departure
44. Taming Fire
45. The Red Dress
46. The Garden
47. The Goodbye Party
48. The Library
49. Sila
50. The Backup Plan
51. Deserted
52. Auras
53. The Mirage
54. Ghoulish
55. The Oasis
56. Sex Magic
57. The Challenger
58. Bargaining Power
59. The Magus and the Artist
60. Truth Be Told
61. Little Marid
62. The Escape
63. Quiet Fire
64. Gatekeeper
65. 1001 Days
66. Nastarajan
67. Demonology
68. Ghost Empire
69. 1001 Nights
70. The Shinigami
71. Blue Fingers
72. Firekin
73. Guilty Pleasures
74. The Whirlpool
75. Electric Kiss
76. Beautiful Hell
77. Friendship is Magic
78. Broken Bonds
79. Hunger
80. Elevator to Hell
81. Icebreaker
82. The Color of Power, The Shape of . . .
83. The Rising Sun

19. Monkey Business

3.7K 396 90
Galing kay CocoNichole

19. Monkey Business

{Naya}

We were on the way to pick up Uri when I threatened Ritsu with bodily harm if he ever spoke a word about my conversation with Portia.

The little monkey sighed, "You do realize that I'm your servant, don't you, Mistress?"

I stole a glance at him before flipping on my turning signal.

"Yeah, but it's like you and Uri have this secret language sometimes. Who knows how chummy you two get when I'm not around?"

Ritsu snorted. "Uriel and I are not 'chummy' as you assume. But yes, sometimes we have conversations about things that only our kind can understand."

Whatever those things were, I didn't want to know. I had enough on my plate already.

"By the way," I said, recalling what happened at Portia's apartment, "what was up with Usher? Do you have any idea why he was growling at you?"

Ritsu's eyebrows perked up. "Do you mean the feline?"

"Yeah. He was fine until he saw you."

"You mean she."

I shook my head slowly. "I'm pretty sure Usher is a boy. I've given him enough baths that –"

"And I'm sure that you believe her to be a cat as well."

I gave Ritsu a wild look. He stated matter-of-factly, "Your friend Portia has a djinni for a pet. She doesn't know it, obviously."

"Ritsu . . . that's impossible."

"It's actually more common than you think. Not all djinn who free themselves from bondage earn a human form. Many take on the alternative form – cats."

I had to force myself to breathe. "So you're telling me that Usher is a djinni that escaped his master and disguised himself as my best friend's cat?"

Ritsu nodded. "By the looks of it, she's been in that form for quite some time. Thousands of years probably. Portia is most certainly not the only owner she's had."

I corrected myself. "Right. Usher is really a she . . . . But why did she growl at you and Uri? Wouldn't she be happy to see someone from her own world?"

"Free djinn do their best to avoid magi, demons, and other djinn. Otherwise they attract attention to themselves and risk being captured again. You see, even when a djinni is free, they aren't really free. They are merely hiding."

By now we were in the parking lot of the culinary school. I turned off the car and leaned back in my seat, trying to process everything Ritsu said.

Then I asked, "I'm a djinni too, though. Why hasn't Usher reacted negatively to me?"

Ritsu lowered his head. "She pities you."

I closed my eyes. It made sense. Usher knew me as a human. When she met Uri, she must have realized what happened between us.

I opened my eyes. If Usher knew, why didn't she help me?

"Naya!"

The passenger door swooshed open and Uri appeared. He grabbed Ritsu, tossed him into the back seat and leaned over to give me a hug. I returned a half-hearted pat and said, "Well, how was your first day?"

Uri sat back in his seat and held up a tupperware container.

"I made paella."

***

While the paella was heating up in the microwave, Uri asked me, "How is Portia doing?"

I smiled. "She misses me mooching off of her."

"I'd feel the same if I were her. You're pretty good company."

Then Uri did something that made me yelp.

He touched my ass.

I spun around and started to attack his chest with limp, frantic slaps.

"What the hell are you doing!"

Uri gaped at him with wide, terrified eyes. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I thought it was okay!"

I shoved him against the fridge. "You think just because I let you kiss me on the cheek that you can feel me up whenever you want?"

Uri cowered and surrendered his hands. He pleaded, "Naya, please calm down. I did not mean to be disrespectful. I merely thought it was a sign of friendly affection."

Ritsu started giggling.

I barked, "What the hell gave you that idea?"

Uri swallowed and cowered a little more. "My teacher."

I stood up straight and backed away until I bumped into the sink. Uri came to full height and explained, "During our assignment, she came over and did the same thing. I didn't know what to make of it. I wasn't sure if she was just being cordial or –"

I held up my hand. "Stop. Listen to me, Uri. It is never considered cordial if a figure of authority touches you like that. It means they're sick. Did she do anything else?"

Uri looked down in shame. "I think she meant to imply that she would reward me with high marks as long as I agreed to the behavior."

"Ugh. I'm going to barf in my mouth . . . . What did you say to her?"

Uri shrugged. "I thanked her."

This whole djinni-training ordeal is not getting any easier.

My hand came up and rested on my forehead. "We can't enroll you into another school. Do you know how long it took me to set all of that up?"

Uri crossed the kitchen and took both of my hands in his.

"No, I won't run away from this. You found the best school for me to attend. So I'll deal with my teacher. I can think of some ways to deny her without causing offense."

I met Uri's eyes. "Are you sure?"

He nodded. "I just need a little help, uh, practicing out some scenarios."

I gently tugged my hands out of Uri's and said, "Fine. But touch my ass again, and see what happens."

Based on the brief glint in his eye, I could tell that part of him actually considered taking the risk.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

69.5K 3.9K 88
Laurel is lonely. Things haven't been easy since she was forced to swiftly change jobs and move to a whole new city and start her life over. She is s...
242K 9.6K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
933 83 11
" I wish I had never met you" Hello 👋 🤗 I am a Genie, not a djinn a actual Genie, true I guess you could say I have djinn genes but I prefer to be...
1.3K 385 35
This story is about two fairies who where twins but got separated after a war took place in fairy land and where sent away to protect them and now t...