The Harp Star Lesbian Story

By WeWillC

Alice and River share a moment by a campfire in Jackson Hole Wyoming as high school girls. Years later they m... More

Canis Minor
Home
River & Sky
A Good Thing

Perks

8.7K 406 18
By WeWillC

04: Perks

Bea approached River and her clients, she smiled at the carnage on the table. "Well, it looks like you have had a successful trip to Elk Run!" The young girls grinned with delight and their parents groaned both satisfied and in discomfort.

"An amazing meal, as always Bea. Thank you so much." River nodded in gratitude.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, I hope you'll come back and see us again."

River inadvertently glanced back toward the counter but didn't see Alice, "I'll be dreaming about that cinnamon roll Bea, I'm sure to be back. And these girls promised to come back out next summer to try their hand at rock climbing with me."

"Wonderful!"

As the group moved slowly from the table, River stepped closer to Bea. "I'll make sure the Summit takes care of the bill as always. Thank you."

"No problem. And this one is on the house, but you must promise to come back to see me about a proposal I have for you and Summit." River raised her eyebrow in curiosity. Bea smiled comforting her, "It's about Andy. No big deal."

"Oh. Okay. I'll come back today before you close, I have a couple of errands to run in town anyway."

Outside Sky whined and moved around the van poking his head out of the windows, his patience had run out. River opened the back door and when he came bounding out the girls squealed in laughter as he chased them around the van jumping for the bacon that was well within reach. Alice watched through the window and smiled softly at River who was trying to wrangle her dog and the two young girls into the van. Bea stepped up beside Alice and followed her gaze, "She'll be back later, to talk about Andy."

"Great Mom. I hope it works out." Alice looked around the restaurant. "Where is Andy?"

"He's still sitting in the storage room. I think he's playing solitaire."

Alice sighed deeply, "What's going on with him?"

"He's been going to the Veterans Hospital and his physical wounds are healing well, but he's suffering emotionally. It's not PTSD but he's mourning a life he once knew. He isn't coping well and he's having a hard time envisioning his future. I think he's depressed. So he lives a simple existence - day to day, moment to moment." Bea's voice was saturated with sorrow. "He's apathetic to almost everything. He just doesn't have the energy to care."
----

The Watsons spent a busy, but uneventful afternoon at Elk Run and they were closing in on 3:00 and the end of their day. Alice sighed in exhaustion all of a sudden realizing how long her day had been. She looked back into the kitchen and called Bea. "Mom, how about I take Andy home? Can you and Dad handle close?"

"Sure Sweetie. That's a good idea. Take Dad's truck. Keys are in it."

Alice smiled at the thought of leaving a car open with the keys inside. "This isn't New York." She murmured to herself.

Ed came hustling out from the back of the kitchen, "Al, wait."

"What's up, Dad?" Alice's Dad was never a good poker player. He was grinning now, excited. "There's a surprise for you at home, it's in the Squirrel's Nest.'"

"Okay, should I wait until you're home to look?" Alice found her father's excitement contagious.

"Nope! You have a look right away!" Ed seemed quite pleased with himself as he moved back into the kitchen.

Alice looked into the small storage room and office sizing up her older brother. "Andy, are you ready to go home?"

He barely glanced up in acknowledgement, "Sure."

Alice was disappointed at the response but found that she was sparked with determination. "Okay then, let's go." Alice paused for a moment blocking Andy's exit and looking him directly in his eyes, "I love you, Andy. I'm going to be telling you that a lot." He stared back noncommittal. "I'm not going to try to 'fix' you, but I'm your biggest 'fan' and I'm not going to let you forget it." Alice turned walking out and exiting the restaurant through the front, Andy following closely behind in silence. Alice called out to Ed and Bea who were cleaning in the kitchen, "See you at home!"

River and Sky pulled into Elk Run just as Alice and Andy were climbing into their truck. River glanced across the lot, it had been years since she saw either of the Watsons, and she had heard through the town grapevine that Andy was injured overseas. Now as she watched him climb into the truck she saw that he looked slight and weak. Her last memory of him was as a strapping, handsome athlete, a small-town hero. When he joined the Marines he became an even more important part of small-town folklore. When River saw that he was an amputee her heart shuddered with sorrow. River left Sky in her jeep and she walked toward the front door of Elk Run. She stopped just outside the front door and watched as Alice and Andy backed out and slowly began to pull away. River held eye contact with Alice through the open window of the truck. River's breath caught; she felt like a 16-year old girl again. She smiled softly and waved sorry she missed Alice and Andy.

Alice considered stopping the truck and hopping out to speak with River. She wanted to touch base with her but Andy had been ready to go home for hours and she was tired and smelled like bacon. When River smiled and waved, Alice returned the greeting taking in River's eyes; hoping to see them again soon.

"Hi, River! Thank you so much for coming back over." Bea stepped into the young woman giving her a grateful hug. "Come sit down at the counter. Would you like something to eat or drink?"

"Oh, no thank you, Bea." River laughed lightly, "I've already had 3 meals today, pre-dawn, Elk Run, I ate again when I got home, and I'll probably eat a couple more times before I call it a day."

Bea's eyes widened in surprise and she laughed, "You eat like a lumberjack!"

River smiled and her eyes sparkled with life. "Yes, if I ever stop guiding I'm in big trouble." At that moment Bea knew that asking River to help out was exactly what Andy needed, she resolved to make it work out.

"River, I have a favor to ask of you. I know you're very busy and that your time is very valuable." Bea reached over and gently held River's hand between her own.

"What is it?" River's voice was laced with concern and her brow furrowed slightly.

"Well, Andy is back home. He was hurt pretty badly in an attack on his company. He had to have his arm surgically removed. He is an amputee and has been honorably discharged."

River nodded, "I saw him earlier. I'm so sorry. What can I do to help?"

"I was hoping you might work with him or maybe someone you know. The doctors feel like he needs to be active and engaged. We've read that there are some projects geared specifically toward wounded Vets that help them recover through adventure sports. You know, hiking, kayaking, and climbing. Right now Andy needs to regain some strength and confidence."

"Oh, I see." River considered the request rolling through her mind for possible solutions. "Of course I'll do anything I can. I really need to talk to Mom, Dad, and Jax. Between us, I think we have enough contacts and can make a plan for helping Andy. I want to make sure we get the guidance we need too. Many of those programs work with doctors to make a plan. We need to be safe."

"Oh thank you! Starting with a couple of walks through the woods would be fine for us, but I understand what you're saying." Bea's eyes teared with relief, "I wanted to offer you something in exchange ..."

"You don't have to do that, really. I'm happy to help and I'm sure Mom, Dad, and Jax will be happy to help as well."

"No, I insist! I thought maybe we could offer the Summit a monthly credit to use here at Elk Run for your clients, or we can prepare and deliver food out to the Summit for your Bed and Breakfast, or any combination."

"Wow, that's very gracious and totally unnecessary." River watched the older woman and she could see in her eyes the fierce pride and conviction that characterizes 'frontier women.' River continued, avoiding an argument before it started, "But a wonderful idea. Thank you. I'll talk to Mom and Dad, they can work out those details with you."

Bea audibly sighed with relief and pleasure. "Thank you, Sweetie. I'll have Alice speak to your parents. It was her idea and as good as she is in the kitchen, she's better at the business of Elk Run."

"Oh, that sounds good. Is Alice staying?" River was surprised, she was fairly certain that Jackson Hole wasn't where Alice wanted to be. Her throat tightened slightly at the possibility.

"We hope so." Bea smiled at the thought, "She came back to help with Andy and Elk Run. We feel a little guilty, it's an unintended perk of an extremely difficult situation. But we've missed her so much, her father and I would do almost anything to convince her to stay permanently."

"I see. Then, I'll have Mom and Dad contact Alice. I'll touch base with everyone at the Summit to see if we can find some good resources and information to help Andy. And maybe I'll take Andy out for a walk in a couple of days."

Bea nodded with relief and gratitude, "That sounds perfect."

"Bea, would you like to go on the walk too? A family outing? Or just Andy?"

Bea tilted her head in consideration, "Hmmmmm. I think if we all went out Andy might feel a little overwhelmed. I don't want him to shut down; he does that so easily these days. But maybe it's not best for it to be just you and him."

"Well, how about this? I'll bring Jax along too. Maybe Alice can come? We'll keep it social and light." River felt a little guilty knowing that seeing Alice was a perk for her. Bea stood up from the counter stool and pulled River into a tight embrace.

"Thank you." River returned the hug with ease, "Of course."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 113K 96
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
255K 6.5K 12
Ana is just your normal teenage wolf going to a school where two packs of wolves hate each other but what happens when the other pack gets a new memb...
428K 14.7K 35
Alex just wants to get through the last year of high school unnoticed and unbothered. And she almost does until she meets Bailey who continues to put...
81.2K 3K 37
(Sequel to She's a Criminal) 2 years have passed since Jordan had bailed Demi out of jail. In that time frame Demi has gone on tour with her best fri...