Thorns of a Rose #1 (Howl's M...

By lilmisswriter17

🌹 Book 1 Howl's Moving Castle trilogy 🌹 It has been almost a year since Howl and Sophie first met and since... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Red Rose, White Rose
Chapter 3: A Wonderful, Yet Slightly Disappointing Surprise
Chapter 4: Truths, Lies, and Broken Promises
Chapter 5: Trust - Or Lack Thereof
Chapter 6: The Mask Unveiled
Chapter 7: Decisions Made in Waiting
Chapter 8: Things Could Always Be Worse
Chapter 9: The Dark Side of a Broken Wizard
Chapter 10: Illumination
Chapter 11: Clockwork
Chapter 12: Saved by the Apprentice
Chapter 13: All According to Plan
Chapter 14: Unconditional Love
Chapter 15: Until Death Do Us Part
Chapter 16: Sun and Moon
Chapter 17: Consequence
Chapter 18: Pause
Chapter 19: Surprises Around Every Corner
Chapter 20: Sunder
Chapter 21: Blessings and Curses and Worse to Come
Author's Note & Book Covers

Chapter 2: A Persistent Problem

3.5K 154 66
By lilmisswriter17

Sophie locked the doors to the flower shop and turned the open sign to close. She had kept the shop open longer than her normal hours, even though there were only a couple customers that followed after Justin. Truthfully, she was afraid of going home; or rather afraid of what she would tell Howl.

Then again, she only needed to worry about that if he was even home. With how things had been lately, Sophie wasn't sure of anything he did. Howl was so vague when he mentioned anything of his current missions, and he never under any circumstances let her know where he was going. Though he claimed it was for her protection that she be in the dark about his locations, it still left her anxious every minute he was gone.

Over time she learned to trust that Howl's instincts would bring him home, yet that sliver of doubt wormed its way into the back of her mind on occasion. Sometimes - most times, actually - she didn't want to trust him. She just wanted to know.

Sophie held the white rose, her mind revolving around Prince Justin's words from earlier. She couldn't tell Howl that he proposed. Again. She hadn't told him about the four other times, and this would be no different. Time and time again, Sophie turned him down in the name of her love for Howl. If he relied on her constant trust when he was gone, he could also rely on her trust that she would always be faithful to him.

It was best he stayed oblivious to Justin's proposals.

Sophie walked through the courtyard that led home. While the war raged on last year, Howl chose her childhood home as their surrogate for the castle to stay safe from Suliman's battlement. Though they were forced to separate the castle for a time, and even enjoyed some time as a castle in the sky, Sophie missed the familiarity of her hometown. Howl knew it would make her happy once more, so they returned.

She opened the front door and walked up the shrt staircase to the living room. It was a spacious area, enough to fit a living and dining area. The kitchen was off to the side behind a swing door, and when Sophie looked beyond the half wall, she saw that it had been a disgusting mess since she left from her lunch break.

Sophie grumbled softly. She distinctly remembered telling Markl to clean up before he practiced magic.

He had become quite the apprentice to his master. The novice boy loved wearing his cloak to transform into an older man more than any other spell he knew. It was his specialty, and he liked that people took him more seriously when he appeared older. That didn't stop him from trying out other magic, however, especially for a magician as eager and enthusiastic as him.

The white and tan dog, who spent most of his days sleeping and lounging around, noticed Sophie and immediately toppled off the couch. He jogged to her with his tail wagging back and forth against the floor.

"Heen, how's my favorite doggie?" Heen wheezed as he rolled onto his side, begging for Sophie to rub his stomach. He had been so obedient and kind since he decided to leave Madame Suliman. Despite him being simply a dog, he knew a lot more than some humans - like how horrible of a sorceress Madame Suliman really was.

She'd been the King's Royal Sorceress for decades, training young and bright magicians like Howl the ways of magic and keeping watch over Ingary with her overpowering abilities. While that seemed all wonderful for a time, Sophie had witnessed enough of her control over those same magicians in the war. Nothing she had ever done was for the greater good of the country - it was always for her own selfish desires.

Sophie wondered how Justin could allow her residency in the Royal Palace, since his heart was much more compassionate than hers. It was fortunate that Heen got out, but she wished Justin's brother, King Roland, would eventually see her cruelties.

Sophie turned to the permanently glowing fire as he reached for another log, dropping it atop the ash pile to keep himself from turning to smoke. Calcifer's vibrant, orange flame was a consistent warmth in their home, and he lit the room with passion, grace, and some comical remarks here and there. They had had too many close calls in the past, especially during the night when no one was awake to replenish his firewood, so giving him access to the logs was much safer.

He beamed when she entered the room. "Hey, Sophie. How was the shop today?"

"You know, the usual." Sophie walked toward the cupboard after placing the white rose on the dining table, Heen following her every step. "Mr. Garrison came by again."

Calcifer sighed. "What'd he do this time?"

"Forgot her birthday. I honestly don't know how hard it is. After being married for fifty years, you'd think he'd remember."

"I even know her birthday."

Sophie laughed. "Well, hopefully this apology bouquet will do the trick. I suggested he give her Forget-Me-Nots. They seemed the most appropriate."

She pulled three plates from the cupboard to prepare the dinner table. Though she wanted to begin setting the table, she rather stared at the remaining stack. There was a slight tension of push and pull inside of her, wondering if she should make another place setting in the hopes that he would be home tonight.

"Calcifer." Sophie whispered, her eyes lowered to the ground floor. "Has Howl returned from his trip yet?"

"I haven't seen him since sunrise." Calcifer said, jogging his memory. "Yesterday."

Sophie rolled her eyes and closed the cupboard. "Wow, big shocker."

"What was that?"

"Nothing." Sophie replied quickly. She set the three place settings. As she set down the last plate, she noticed the white rose still lying on the table. She creased her eyebrows as she stared, then finally picked it up. "Prince Justin came this morning."

Calcifer raised his fiery eyebrows. "Really?"

"He proposed." Sophie laughed, though it was the kind of a laugh that forced itself. "Again."

Calcifer joined in. "He's persistent, I'll give him that."

Sophie walked toward him and sat on the violet couch. Not too long after, Heen accompanied her, his tail whipping back and forth. She twirled the flower between her fingers before hanging her head down. As much as she liked Justin, he never stole her heart. She wanted him to understand, yet he still never accepted her answer.

He always tried persuading her to change her mind, like he was completely convinced they were meant to be.

As much as she admired his optimism, and while she greatly valued their friendship, Sophie wondered what might happen if she continued rejecting him.

"I don't think he'll ever let it go that I love Howl."

"You can't say that." Calcifer said, a spark cracking on the firewood. "As much as Justin loves you, he respects your decision."

"But doesn't he see how much this hurts me?" Sophie said, looking up with wide eyes. "Doesn't he see that he continually puts me in this uncomfortable situation?"

Calcifer rested his burning hands on the molten log, his mind in a deep thought. "I don't think he means to make you uncomfortable, I think he's just hopeful. And if you love Howl as much as you've told him, I think eventually Prince Justin will understand."

Sophie nodded slightly. "Maybe." She took one last look at the rose, the natural petals perfectly rounded around each other. The thorns were smaller than a pin and didn't pinch at all. Nevertheless, she stood up, walked to the nearby trash bin, and tossed the rose inside.

. ❀ 。• * ₊ ° 。❀ ° 。

After Sophie cleaned the kitchen, she started dinner. Calcifer had become more submissive when Sophie wanted to cook, especially since he claimed she gave him more food than when Howl cooked - and it tasted better, too.

She placed the pan over Calcifer and cut a portion of the butter stick, letting it sizzle and melt away. Heen was once again at her feet, staring at the salmon filets with wide eyes and a slobbering tongue. The second she placed the filets in the pan, eager footsteps dashed down the stairs.

"I hear sizzling!" Markl rushed over the pan and sniffed excessively. Sophie patted his auburn hair, enjoying his excitement for dinner. When he opened his eyes and saw the fish, however, he quarantined his nose with both hands and fell to the ground with a heavy, desperate cry.

"Are you trying to kill me, Sophie?" She rolled her eyes as she flipped the filets over. Markl was very overdramatic - much like his teacher at times - especially when it came to Sophie's cooking. She had hoped Markl would at least try something new. He was so picky with his diet that it seemed like he only ate cereal, bread, and chocolate.

"You're eating real food, Markl. Not those chain products Howl lets you bring home."

"No fair." Markl crossed his arms and legs. "I'm not eating that."

"Then I guess you'll go to bed hungry." Sophie smiled deviously. She knew eventually he would cave in. He was still at that age where she understood why he was picky about his foods, yet she preferred that he would expand his tastes. She was the only mother figure he'd ever had in his life, though their age difference hardly seemed capable of that. Nevertheless, she did the best she could to fill those shoes.

Markl humphed and turned his head away from her, only causing Sophie to let out a chuckle. He took his wand out from his cloak and waved it in a circle. Out of the corner of her eye, Sophie saw a rectangular box floating toward the little boy. She turned around and swiftly caught it with her free hand.

She smirked at him. "Nice try, but no cereal until you finish your actual dinner."

Markl groaned louder and tumbled around on the ground in an aggravated protest. He stomped his feet against the floor, but Sophie refused to let him win. She'd seen his tactics enough to know the only way for him to stop acting childish was to wait it out and let him surrender.

Sophie let the pan rest on Calcifer as she returned the cereal box to the pantry. When she came back, Markl was no longer the pouting child she had seen before. As if by magic, the tantrum-ridden child stood up with a tainted smile, completely opposite of his immature behavior moments earlier. Sophie held her breath when she noticed his wand poised in perfect spellcasting position.

Sophie froze. "What are you going to do now?"

"Howl taught me a new spell." Markl smiled deviously and turned his gaze to Calcifer. Heen covered his eyes with his paws and hid behind Sophie, preparing in advance for the upcoming onslaught.

"Don't do it, kid. I swear to Master Erikku if you so much as–" Before Calcifer could finish, Markl began twirling his wand toward the fireplace. In a split second, the fire demon spazzed out in an uncontrollable frenzy. His orange color had transitioned to a fiery red, and he no longer held authority over his own being. Sophie moved the pan out of the way as Calcifer grew long and skinny, reaching high into the chimney.

"Markl!" Sophie narrowed her eyes at him. "Stop this, right now."

"But this is the best part." Markl swung the wand up and down, causing Calcifer to return to his original form, back into a stretched-out version, and so on and so forth. Heen rushed under the couch to get out of the way, all while Markl laughed in a magical triumph.

"Sophie, get that wand!" Calcifer begged her. In a heated rage, she stormed over to him and snatched the wand from his tiny grip.

"No more messing with magic." She pointed the wand at him. "You can get this back when Howl comes home."

Markl pulled his lower lip out and sniffled, pretending to cry. "But that could be days. Weeks, even."

Sophie sighed. "I know." She placed the wand on the side of her belt and returned to Calcifer, now back to his normal self. His eyes rolled back and he seemed disoriented for a while. When he finally collected himself, Sophie returned to cooking.

After dinner was set, she went down the hall and knocked on a single door. "Dinner is ready if you'd like to come out now."

"Ooh, I'll be just a moment, dear." A few seconds later, a shriveled old lady opened the door. The Witch of the Wastes was much shorter than Sophie, so she had to crane her neck upward to meet her eyes.

Sophie held out her arm, but the little old lady ran like a hobbling penguin down the hall. Sophie chuckled as she watched her spunky attitude. She was actually a nice person without the intoxicating, evil thoughts.

"So, what's the grub for tonight?" The Witch rushed to the dining table and sniffed the plate in her usual seat. Heen pulled himself up to see over the dining table, but the Witch pulled and pushed him back, reveling in the delicacy. "You know me so well."

Sophie smirked. "Because we're so much alike."

"In more ways than that, dear." The Witch winked, causing Sophie to laugh nervously. She remembered the horrible things the Witch of the Wastes did in order to win over Howl's love, but they never affected him. Sophie was the only person Howl fell in love with, but the old lady would never let it go that she loved Howl first.

Before Sophie could take a seat, there was a knock on the door. Sophie blinked twice before turning to Calcifer.

He shook his head. "Don't look at me."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Wonder who it could be, then."

Sophie walked down the stairs and the second she opened the door, a young, blonde woman rushed in and hugged her, causing them both to fall onto the staircase.

"Sophie! Sophie! Sophie!" The girl squirmed and tightened her grip. Sophie tried getting up, but her little sister wouldn't let her go.

"Lettie, what is it?" Sophie said, her voice raspy from the suffocating embrace. "Can we at least stand up?"

"Oh, of course, Soph!" Lettie said, immediately getting off of her older sister and scratched the back of her neck. "Where are my manners? After all, this is your house."

Calcifer hid his face from view as the sisters walked into the main area, and Markl transported his wand and other magical instruments instantaneously to his room. It pained Sophie to hide such an important part of her life from her own family, but it was a necessary lie.

As much as Sophie wanted to come forward with her and Howl's relationship, Lettie absolutely loathed witches, wizards, and anything having to do with magic.

For a long time, Lettie was very wary of magic, and Sophie didn't want to see her reaction if she knew her boyfriend was the wizard who supposedly ate women's hearts. They had dealt with magic and magicians in the past, and unfortunately she just never found it in her to accept them. In Lettie's mind, Markl was her boyfriend's son, the witch was his Grandma Irma, and Heen was just a normal dog.

And her boyfriend was a nice, normal, man whom Lettie just never happened to meet.

When Lettie saw Markl, he jumped over toward her, a wide smile on his face. "Aunt Lettie's here!"

"Hi Markl." Lettie embraced her as forcefully as she did Sophie, but Markl was too excited to care. "How have you been? Getting into trouble around here?"

"More than you can imagine." Sophie said, glaring a sarcastic grin at the boy. His cheeks reddened and his smile was filled with foolish guilt.

Lettie released him and they walked toward the dining table. Sophie set a place for her, even though Lettie said it was no trouble. Sophie didn't mind; she liked having more people at the table.

Dinner was much more invigorating with so many people. Lettie loved Markl - and being an aunt. It was easier to say he was her boyfriend's child than explaining Markl's history. She even encouraged him to try to fish, though he still wasn't a fan of it after. He only ate the vegetables because Sophie said he didn't have to eat the fish otherwise.

Lettie also loved talking with 'Grandma Irma.' She loved her attitude and audacity. They could gossip about anything and everything that went on in Ingary.

Heen tried jumping up to the table again, and Lettie thought it was so adorable. She gave him a few bites of the fish, causing Heen to stay by her side for the rest of the night. Everyone in the Pendragon home got along with her - all except for the Pendragon man who was still a curious enigma.

Lettie coughed before speaking. "So, where is Markl's father?" Sophie tightened her grip on the fork. If only she knew that answer. Even so, she wasn't allowed to tell Lettie or anyone. She wasn't even ready to tell her own sister the name of the man she'd been seeing for a year.

"Oh, he's away on business." Sophie said, her eyes lowering to her half-eaten plate.

"What kind of business?" Lettie asked, resting her chin in the palm of her hand. "You know, I don't know very much about this man."

Sophie chuckled softly. "Well, he likes to keep himself a mystery. Sometimes even from me." Before Lettie could rebuke, Sophie stopped her with something she knew would distract her sister. "So, what were you so energetic about when you first came in? You seemed very excited about something more than just paying me a visit."

As she was about to eat, Lettie giggled like a child unable to keep a new secret. "Well, the thing is... I'm getting married!"

Sophie dropped her fork and stared at her with wide eyes. "M-married?"

Lettie bit her lip, trying to contain her thrill, but her childish persona took over and she clapped rapidly. "Yes, married. I'm going to be a bride and then a wife! I don't want this to affect us, though, since you're the oldest and the oldest normally gets married first, but I love him and he loves me and I just had to–"

"You're getting married?" Sophie still hadn't processed everything in her mind. Lettie, her baby sister not even eighteen years yet, was getting married. To be honest, Sophie didn't know she was seeing anyone. Not seriously, anyway.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but I couldn't be happier, Soph." Lettie touched her hand, a soft smile on her face. "And I came over here to ask if you'll be my maid of honor."

Sophie stared at her. Her eyes watered slightly, so she turned away and blinked the tears right out. Maid of honor - Sophie assumed that when Lettie's time came to marry, she would choose one of her prettier friends to stand up next to her or even Martha, the youngest of the three. They had grown so distant since Howl entered her life, yet it warmed her heart to see that her sister still loved her enough to ask.

"Of course, Lettie." The two girls stood and embraced. She was happy for her sister, and the fact that she was getting married before her didn't bother Sophie in the slightest. It only resurfaced the thought of when Howl would want to settle down for good.

"Oh, so who is your future husband-to-be?" Sophie said, breaking from the hug. "Do I know him?"

Lettie giggled again, covering her mouth with her hand before speaking. "Well... it's the Prince!"

"The Prince?" Sophie and Calcifer said in shock. Before Lettie could find the voice, Calcifer returned to hiding. She turned back to Sophie, who stared in awe at her sister. "You... you're marrying Prince Justin?"

"Yes." Lettie said, a bit confused. "Did I not tell you we were seeing each other?"

Sophie raised her eyebrows and shook her head. Not only were they getting married, but they had been a couple for some time now. Probably a few months.

Probably around the time when Justin's proposals to Sophie began.

"Oh, well, I guess it must have slipped my mind, hehe." Lettie scratched her neck and stared at the ground. "I'm sorry I never told you, I just assumed you knew, I guess. Good thing I said something before the newspapers printed the story." Lettie tried laughing it off again, but Sophie was still in shock.

Her first instinct was to tell her everything. All the times Justin came to her flower shop, bringing a beautiful, expensive ring and proposing in a creative, new way each time. How he told her Howl didn't deserve her and how that narcissistic wizard could never love her like he does.

How he wouldn't give up on Sophie until Howl vowed full commitment.

And now, on the same day as his most recent proposal, Justin was now engaged to her little sister. It seemed all too coincidental that he would marry her sister of all people, but Lettie said they had been in a relationship. They were a couple. Probably in love.

Then why did he continually try to win Sophie's heart?

She pushed the thought aside and held her sister's shoulders. "I'm so happy for you, Lettie. You two are going to be so happy together."

Lettie looked up at her, tears forming in her eyes. She lunged toward her in another dramatic embrace, almost knocking them both to the ground yet again.

"Thank you so much, Sophie. I just knew you'd love him as much as I do." Lettie backed away enough to look at her face to face and wink. "Well, hopefully not in the same way I do, I hope."

Sophie let out a nervous laugh. She wanted to question Prince Justin about this, but she would never get an opportunity. The Kingsbury Palace was heavily guarded and the royal family was extremely busy. She didn't want to intrude and find out more than she bargained for.

Who knew what kind of rabbit hole she might stumble upon?

"Well, I guess I'd better be off." Lettie said, making her way down the front steps. "It was so nice seeing you all, and I hope to see each of you at the wedding."

Markl and the Witch waved to her from the dinner table before picking up their plates and bringing them to the kitchen, Heen walking close behind with the desire of getting some scraps. Lettie gave her sister one final farewell hug before leaving. Sophie waved her off until she was out of the courtyard. Then, she released her emotions.

Sophie slammed the door shut and stormed up the staircase until she was in front of Calcifer. She paced back and forth, moving her hands in rapid motions as she talked to herself. Justin and Lettie - married. After he had proposed to her yet again.

Sophie scoffed. "So much for waiting for Howl to commit." She darted her eyes to the nearby trash can and narrowed her eyes. She rushed over to it and took the rose out. It was still alive, not one petal fallen, wrinkled, or aged.

Calcifer coughed. "Looks like we've got more problems than just Howl being gone all the time."

Sophie glared at him, her eyes piercing through his flames. "Shut up, Calcifer." She rushed over to him and he shriveled back in fear. She threw the rose on top of him before rushing up to her bedroom, never to be seen for the rest of the night.

The Witch of the Wastes stayed on the couch, watching Sophie's angry affair take place. As much as Calcifer tried burning the rose, it wouldn't deteriorate. The stem was a healthy green, and the petals were untouched. Eventually, it fell onto the round carpet, still perfectly alive.

The Witch picked it up. It wasn't even warm. "What a pretty flower."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.5K 581 11
You are a girl in your twenties who spent ten years being taught magic by Madam Suliman. Even though she also trained Howl, you two never met. You ar...
22.3K 623 17
Howl and Elizabeth were childhood friends. But things suddenly changes. γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ Ranks: #1 - howlsmovingcastle (05/02/2022) #1 - howlpendrag...
26.6K 750 15
" For a man without a Heart can not love " β‹†ο½‘οΎŸβ˜οΈŽο½‘β‹†ο½‘ ゚☾ οΎŸο½‘β‹† Howl x reader ᕦ(Γ²_Γ³Λ‡)α•€
3.2K 860 23
*Book One Of The Federation Series* Silvia Eastman was only five when her parents were murdered in front of her by a pack of infamous rogues. The emo...