Lost

By WhisperingJ

HR: #10 (09/11/2018)#13 (08/22/18) #14 (08/21/2018)(09/08/2018) #18 (03/23/2017) "No!" Zayn shouted. He was p... More

Copyright notice/Author's note + readers' reviews
Prologue
Chapter 1: Golden eyed Punchbag
Chapter 2: Flying Out Of Control
Chapter 3: Alive and Alone
Chapter 4: Missing
Chapter 5: The Struggle Begins
Chapter 6: Dirty mouth; Dirty bruise
Chapter 7: Leave the Loved Ones
Chapter 8: "Tough Stuff"
Chapter 9: Instincts
Chapter 10: Painful Wound
Chapter 11: Guilt and Woodoo?
Your Support is Required
Chapter 12: Prayers Getting Answered
Chapter 13: Angry Hunger
Chapter 14: Mysteries
Chapter 15: Heavenly Delivery
Chapter 16: Opposites misunderstand?
Chapter 17: The Haunting Past
Chapter 18: Lessons with Landslides
Chapter 19: Clever Plans
Chapter 20: Sparking a fire
Chapter 21: Pain of the Past
Schedules and Shout-out!
Chapter 22: The Climb
Chapter 23: The Call
Chapter 24: Run!
Chapter 25: Attacked
Chapter 26: Hiding
Chapter 27: What Could Go Wrong?
Chapter 28: Rescued
Chapter 29: Worried
Chapter 30: Suspicions
Chapter 31: Impatient
Chapter 32: Messed up
Chapter 33: Close calls
Chapter 35: Relations Revealed
Chapter 36: False Alarm
Chapter 37:
Chapter 38: Plug the Plot Hole
Chapter 39: Lost Mates
Chapter 40: Feverish
Chapter 41: Heading for Heartbreak
Chapter 42: Unexpected Company
Chapter 43: Encounter
Chapter 44: Haunted Conscience
Chapter 45: The Never-ending Chase
Chapter 46
Chapter 47: Family Backup
Chapter 48: Jealousy
Chapter 49: Untangle and Tangle
Chapter 50: Beast Wars
Chapter 51: Peek a Past
Chapter 52: Perplexing Relations
Chapter 53: Mental Turmoil
Chapter 54: Old Nightmares Revisit
Chapter 55: What's the Catch?
Chapter 56: The Frustrating "Talk"
Chapter 57: The Painful Apology
Chapter 58 : Uneasy Intrusions
Chapter 59: Wrong Perception?
Chapter 60: Draconian
Chapter 61: Disengagement
Chapter 62: Restraint
Chapter 63: Surprise! Surprise!
Chapter 64: Mad Protective
Chapter 65: Impulsive
Chapter 66: Head-Strong
Chapter 67: Overwhelmed
Chapter 68: Falling Apart
Chapter 69: Hard Choices
Chapter 70: Poking Emotions
Chapter 71: "Tricked"
Chapter 72: Car Chase
Chapter 73: On the Loose
Chapter 74: Shots Fired!
Chapter 75: Bee Mine, Please?
Chapter 76: High School Rivalry
Chapter 77: "I Want You!"
Chapter 78: "Cornered"
Chapter 79: "Ambushed"
Chapter 80: "Kidnapped"
Chapter 81: "A Glimpse Inside My Head"
Chapter 82 : "Snatched"
Chapter 83: "After-shook"
Chapter 84: "Authority Visits"
Chapter 85: "Interrogations"
Chapter 86 : "Forgiveness"
Chapter 87: "Wounds of Regret"
Chapter 88: So? . . . We meet again
Chapter 89: Rationality Who?
Chapter 90: "Heartbreaking Realities"
Chapter 91: "The Guardian of the Zamarud - I"
Chapter 92: "The Guardian of the Zamarud - II"
Chapter 93: "Striking out Secrets"
Chapter 94: "Unpleasant Alternatives - I"
Chapter 95: "Unpleasant Alternatives - II"
Chapter 96: "Tying the Knot -I"
Chapter 97: Tying the Knot - II
Chapter 98: "Played?"
Chapter 99: "The Mysterious Arethas"
Chapter 100: "Almost Blind"
Chapter 101: "Finalizing the Fix"
Chapter: "The Final Word"
Book II

Chapter 34: The Game's On Now

1.5K 187 982
By WhisperingJ

Comment as you read ^^ . And remember to vote :). Enjoy the chapter (unedited, it is :P)

Zayn's P.O.V.

"Sir, I . . ." The nurse gulped.

She was white as a sheet and looked close to tears. Asim stepped inside. By sheer luck, he was still unaware of Zayn's presence inside the room. Zayn was fortunately positioned such that the door stood as a shield between them when Asim opened it. With the disturbing reality he dreaded standing dangerously close behind his back, Asim had his suspicious eyes firmly fixed on the two girls in front of him.

"Well?" Asim asked, folding his arms over chest.

"Sir, I - I tried to --"

Zayn held his breath as the nurse stuttered. She looked past Asim at Zayn. Shaking his head infinitesimally, Zayn warned her against revealing his presence.

"Tried to what?" Asim questioned the nurse again.

Claire was silent. Zayn knew the wheels in her head were turning, trying to figure a way out of this mess.

"I --"

"She tried to stop me!" Claire spoke up, her voice sharp and accusing.

Everyone turned their attention to her. Zayn eyed the small space between him and Asim. If only he would take a step forward, Zayn could slip behind his back and save himself the unnecessary confrontation.

"Seriously," Claire continued. "I think she's up to something!"

"Ma'am?" The nurse's eyes popped out. She looked absolutely frightened of being scapegoated. "No - sir, I--"

"What? You what?" Claire snapped at the nurse. "Do you deny standing out there the whole time he was gone?"

"No, I don't but --"

"So you are saying that you didn't stop me from entering the room?"

"I did, but I --"

"I'm telling you Asim, this lady here is up to something!" Claire turned her attention back to a bewildered looking Asim. "I was only coming in to see Salma and she won't let me. I don't know what she's up to but she's been up to something. She --"

"No," Asim spoke up, cutting her short. "No, she's not."

Claire paled. Zayn swallowed uncomfortably.

"I mean, she was here on my request," Asim continued calmly. "I instructed her not to let anyone enter in my absence. I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

"Oh." Claire blinked. "I - well, I'm sorry." Claire patted and smiled at the nurse, who gave her a forced smile. The nurse foolishly looked past Asim's shoulder at Zayn and he bit back a wince, dreading Asim to follow her gaze. If only he would take a step forward.

"Am I excused, Sir?" The nurse asked.

While Asim turned his attention towards her, Claire dared a look at Zayn. He silently tried to communicate, asking her to make Asim move away from him. Averting her eyes, Claire gave a small nod and started stepping towards the chairs.

"Do you - Do you mind if I . . ?" Claire asked Asim, pointing towards Salma.

"Um, I guess," Asim shrugged. "Nurse, could you please stay with --"

A sudden commotion cut him off. Next thing Zayn knew, Claire was on the floor and the nurse crouched next to her. Asim was standing by awkwardly, wanting to help but held back by the same rules from approaching Claire that kept Bee from approaching him.

"Are you okay?" The nurse asked.

"Yeah," Claire winced, "I just hit the floor a bit hard but I'm fine."

For a second, Zayn almost forgot about staying hidden and stepped out to help her. Claire noticed and looked at him sharply. She jerked her head towards the door, then winced again dramatically keeping their attention. It took Zayn a second or two to realize his way ahead was clear of Asim's back. Without wasting an instant, he slipped out of the room.

"Help me up, please," he heard Claire as he rushed down the corridor.

Keeping his head down, Zayn headed straight for the elevators. As he passed an old couple on wheelchairs, he caught sight of the crazy group of fangirls that attacked him and Niall earlier. Zayn cursed and whipped around sharply when one of them looked in his direction. On a sudden inspiration, he crouched beside the old man in the wheelchair.

"Hey gramps," Zayn smiled, "Can I help you?"

"What?" The bewildered man wheezed. "No, the nurses are --"

"Your leg looks bad," he continued, "So what do the doctors say?"

"The doctors?" The old man blinked.

"No, not the doctors, I said donkey riders," Zayn smiled at him sarcastically.

Seriously!

Zayn shook his head when the old man exchanged confused glances with his wife. The infuriating group of girls were still rooted near the elevators, eyeing him suspiciously. To make matters worse, the old couple kept questioning him, and a pair of nurses were headed their way.

"Kid, what are you doing?" The old woman asked.

"Avoiding demons," Zayn muttered to himself, ducking lower to hide behind her chair. "Good thing you aren't one."

"What son? You have to speak louder! My ears are bad." The old woman almost yelled, making Zayn wince, "Did you say Ailing Lemons?!"

Zayn resisted the urge to facepalm as he continued to spy on the girls.

"Sir, what are you doing?" A new voice asked. Zayn looked up to see the two nurses eyeing him weirdly.

"He's smelling morons," The old man replied matter of factly.

Great!

"Yeah," Zayn made a face, standing up. "Just that."

Before anyone could make head of tail of what just happened, he rushed towards the opposite side. The girls seemed to have glued their feet to the space in front of the elevators, so Zayn decided to use the stairs. A floor below, he saw the nurse up ahead. She was leaning against the reception desk with her head resting in her hands.

Fishing out a few hundred dollar bills, he slipped them into her coat pocket as he walked by.

"Lost your job, did you?" Zayn asked in the passing.

"No, I was just . . ."

Zayn turned around to see her taking the bills out of her pocket, staring at them wide eyed. Her eyes snapped from the bills to him. Zayn winked, before giving her his back, earning a smile from her.

***

Stepping onto the crowded main hall, Zayn felt a mix of emotions. He was relieved none of them were caught, glad that he finally saw Bee, but extremely frustrated that he did not get enough time with her. The fact that he actually felt her respond only made it worse. If only he had had a few minutes more, maybe he could have --

Zayn stopped dead in his tracks. His blood started boiling as he took in his tall frame, green eyes and trademark brown curls - which seemed to have grown longer than Zayn remembered. Upon recognizing Zayn, his neutral expressions also underwent an instantaneous distortion. The pure disgust they felt for each other was perfectly mirrored on their faces and returned with passion. As if on instinct, William advanced towards Zayn, looking murderous.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" he snarled.

Zayn stood his ground.

"I can ask the same." He smirked. "But then again, I'm not bothered by the unimportant, smelly beings of this planet."

"Quit the drama, Harris!" William fumed, "You think I don't know your games?!"

"So unimportant," Zayn hummed. "You're in my way, Stools."

"You will always find me in your way!" William seethed, "So I suggest you quit playing with people's lives or I --"

"I don't think I can. What can I say," Zayn shrugged, giving him a lazy smile. "I just love winning!"

There was sudden movement and though Zayn ducked to avoid the incoming punch, he still got a knock just next to his ear. Angered, Zayn's knee-jerk reaction was literally kneeing him in the stomach. With his curls going wild, William staggered back a few steps. The crowd around the two gasped and soon there were too many hands restraining Zayn from aiming a kick at the green eyed bag of filth.

"I know what you're up to!" William growled, fighting against the people holding him back. "You will never be able to play her for a fool!"

"Save it!" Zayn spat at him. "I can see how hard it is for you to accept being such a loser!"

William lunged at Zayn but the guys held him back, desperately calling for security.

"Trust me, I'll make sure you rot behind bars after I help them do a bit of background check!" he threatened.

Zayn shrugged away from the guys that were holding him back. It was annoying and he did not want to miss a chance to punch a nice bruise onto Sterling's face.

"Talk to me when I find a damn to give," Zayn rolled his eyes, breathing heavily.

"I'm warning you, you snake!" Sterling pushed himself free, "If you won't --"

"You don't get to --"

A sharp feminine voice cut in, effectively shutting them up.

"What the hell were you doing back there?!" Zayn felt someone jerk his arm. He turned around to see Claire glaring at him.

How convenient! He rolled his eyes.

"Had I been a second too late, you would have --"

"Not now, Claire!" Zayn cut her off.

"Not now?" She repeated increduloulsy. "Not now? Are you kidding me?!"

Huffing in annoyance, Zayn started walking away Claire followed. However, the fuming devil blocked their path.

"We are not done yet, Harris!" William hissed, his eyes shifting to Claire for moment. "You've found yourself a few new worshipers. Now stay away from her or I swear I'll make your life a living hell!"

"Get out of my way!" Zayn cried disgusted, before turning his attention to the crowd. "Where the hell is the damn security? Sedate this psycho!"

Sterling made move towards Zayn again but before any of them could reach the other, someone stepped in and shoved Sterling away roughly.

"He's mine tonight!" Claire seethed, getting in his shocked face. Zayn grabbed her arm and hastily pulled her back to him.

"If anything is left of this jerk after I'm through with him, you can have him," she continued, yanking her arm free of Zayn's grip, "but right now, back the hell off!"

Roughly grabbing Zayn by his shirt, she shoved past William. Zayn did not protest when she dragged him out like a naughty little boy. It was little annoying but he was amused by how cute she looked when fuming. Trying not to laugh, he put his arm around her shoulders.

"Have I ever been more proud of you?" Zayn chuckled.

"Get away from me!" Claire pushed him away, to which, Zayn replied with a hearty laughter.

"Zayn!" She warned through her gritted teeth, "I'm going to kill you!"

Ignoring her, Zayn turned around to see William glaring at him. Still wanting to give him something to lose his sleep over, Zayn brought his hands up and stuck his tongue out. He made faces before pointing at him. The people around him laughed at the seemingly childish behavior, but Zayn knew Sterling got the message, loud and clear. His nostrils flared, and fists balled up. Satisfied, Zayn gave him his back and smiled.

He knew, the game was on!

Niall's P.O.V.

Niall had just made himself comfortable on the couch when the door burst open with such force that it banged against the wall. He sat up straight in alarm, the living daylights scared out of him. Had it not been for the loud voices that distracted him, he would have worried about the hinges.

Were they still arguing about his and Claire's kiss?

"You are making a big deal out of nothing!" Zayn protested loudly as he entered, looking extremely irritated.

"Out of nothing?!" Claire matched his volume, "I saw you! You almost got --"

"Enough Claire!" Zayn complained, exasperated. "Just stop, seriously! What I do is none of your business, anyway!"

"Guys, can you two, like, calm down a little?" Niall interfered when Claire stepped towards Zayn, her face flushed red in anger. "What happened?"

"He kissed her!" Claire screamed, pointing an accusing finger at Zayn. "He bloody kissed her!"

"I did not!" Zayn denied vehemently.

"I saw you with my own eyes!"

"Get a functional pair!" Zayn hurled back. "Next thing I know they'd see me flying pigs around!"

"Don't you dare deny --"

"You know what?" Zayn glared at her. "I won't! I did it! Yes, I kissed her! And I'll do it again. Problem?"

Niall's mouth hung open. Zayn kissed Salma? He likes her?

A deathly cold silence hung over the room. The two eyed each other with such brutal glares that Niall had to take a few steps away from them. He knew the day he accepted to come live here with Zayn that it would be tough to deal with, but had Niall known it would be this tough . . .

"Good," Zayn muttered quietly when Claire remained silent. Turning on his feet he stomped up the stairs to his room.

Niall let out a slow breath.

"That was intense," he said softly.

"Intense will be the kick I'll shove up his -"

The bang of Zayn's bedroom door drowned the rest of her words.

"Stop being a brat!" She yelled at him, before heading for her own room. Another bang told Niall Claire had slammed her door too.

"Oh well," Niall shrugged, "I'd better stay out of their way till they cool off."

His peace was soon blasted to pieces by another explosion from Zayn.

"I said get OUT!" He yelled, "What the hell are you doing in my room!"

***

Asim's P.O.V.

Asim came out of the room to see William pacing in front of the door, running a frantic hand through his hair. He looked deeply troubled. Asim's stomach twisted in knots. Was he going to ask to talk to Salma right now?

"Will?"

His hand froze in his curls as his eyes snapped to Asim.

"Asim, did anyone visit Salma?" William asked in a rushed tone.

"I - I don't think so," Asim said confused.

"You don't think so?" William raised a brow.

"She had a visitor when I left for prayers but the nurse --"

"So you left? You actually left her alone? Asim, what the hell were you thinking?" William scolded.

"Will, what's up? No, I did not leave her alone. A nurse stood guard when I was gone."

"And you came straight back, right?"

"No - I first left to grab a coffee --"

"What?!"

"Niall insisted. I couldn't refuse --"

"Asim, how can you be so foolish!"

"William, what the hell is going on?" Asim snapped, crossing his arms in irritation.

"Did the nurse confirm that no one entered Salma's room?" William asked instead.

Asim felt annoyed by the dodge but replied anyway.

"No, she didn't."

William's eyes snapped towards him.

"Because, I saw the person." Asim shrugged.

"Who?" William whispered as if scared to know the answer.

"Claire," Asim replied, frowning. "She wanted to enter and the nurse won't let her. Claire thought the nurse was up to something so they were like, arguing when I arrived."

"Just her?"

"Yes."

"Why would she want to visit Salma?" William muttered, more to himself than Asim as he chewed on his lip in contemplation

"Beats me," Asim shrugged.

"Did she -? Asim, were you inside when she was talking to her?" William asked, then mumbled to himself ". . . took pictures or something?"

Asim made a face.

"Will, I was there. And I'm not saying another word," Asim said as he opened his mouth again. "Not until you answer me."

"It's - nothing." William hesitated. "There is . . . something is off. There are security cameras in the room, right?"

"What?"

"Damn! Why didn't I think of that before?" William hissed.

Grumbling under breath, he ran away in the opposite direction before Asim could say something. Frowning, he shook his head at his cousin's crazed behavior and went inside.

***

Asim sank into the chair beside Salma's bed when his mum and Anne left to pray 'Ishaa. He sighed, stretching his legs out. He was still a bit weirded out by Claire and Niall's visit, and William's panicked questions about them.

"Strange, wasn't that, Sally?" he addressed his sleeping sister, rubbing his eyes tiredly. "I'm surprise you're still sleeping through it all."

He was met with silence.

"To be honest, no, I'm not that surprised." He smiled. "You sleep like the dead anyway. Who knows, you might as well not be in coma right now."

Asim laughed.

"Actually, that would be really funny." He sat a little straighter. "What if you're really fooling around, sleeping off your fill while we are bawling over nothing, driving ourselves crazy thinking our favorite pest is in a coma."

Salma's blank expressions and shut eyes drained all humor out of him. His smile vanished as he reached for her hand. He took it into his and gave it a squeeze. The doctors said it would help if they talked to her, told her previous stories and held her hand. As of now, nothing was working.

"Remember, I told you dad is coming tomorrow?" Asim said quietly. "I wish you would wake up before he arrives. I don't want him to blame me for all of this. You know how much he loves you. He'd . . . I don't know."

Suddenly overcome by guilt, Asim bit his lip and averted his gaze to the floor.

"I know I didn't say it before, but I'm really sorry," he apologized. "I wish I hadn't sent you to pick that bag. I wish it was me. None of this would have happened had I been less of an idiot. I'm sorry."

Asim's eyes pricked. He took in a deep, calming breath.

"I told Dean about this," he continued. "He said you'd probably call me dumbo but I think he's just being nice, to be honest. James is being more straight forward about it. He made it clear he doesn't like me. I don't blame him. I wouldn't like me either if I was him. I'd be angry too."

Asim watched his sister for a while, wondering how it would be if she suddenly wakes up. He imagined feeling her limp fingers move in his hand, her eyes flutter open and a smile spread on her pale face. He could not help thinking how she would stick her tongue out at him and make fun of him for everything he have been saying. He was so deep in his daydream that he almost felt her fingers move.

"But to be honest," he whispered, snapping out of it, "I'm not ready to face him or dad. Dad may not give me a hard time, but I'm seriously worried about James."

Asim was not sure if he imagined it or if he actually saw her lips move this time. Not wanting to raise his hopes too much, he pushed the idea to the back of his mind. These small signs of consciousness only increased his misery. They gave him hope, only to leave him hanging for longer.

"You got to get up before he arrives, sis," Asim pleaded. "I need my guard against that British bully. He'd kill me."

"Won't . . ."

Asim froze. His eyes snapped to her lips and stayed silent. Did he seriously saw her mouth won't? He swallowed, deciding to test if he was going crazy, or if she actually was coming around. Asim pushed on.

"James won't let me be," he spoke urgently, his voice hoarse. "He blames me for what happened and I agree. He said -"

Asim saw her eyes move under her eyelids.

"Sally?" He exclaimed, "Sally, can you hear me?"

Her lips moved soundlessly and he felt her fingers twitch. The machines around her bed started beeping.

"Oh snap!" Asim gasped, jumping out of his seat.

He yanked the door open and burst out. Anne was seated beside William. Their eyes snapped towards Asim, alarmed.

"Asim, is everything --"

"Get the doctor!" He all but yelled, "She's coming around, Anne!"

Author's Note:

She's waking up, yay? Or nay :P Oh and who guessed she'd wake up to make sure James doesn't hurt her baby brother ^^

Gif attached: Zayn challenging William (BOOM!)

Anyways, I got a week's break so I decided to utilize it and put out a few chapters :D I guess I was right when I said I might show up sooner than expected lol.

Vote, comment and Share ;)

Lots of Love,

J.

Glossary: 'Ishaa : Night prayers

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 8 5
Your eyes are connected and you feel yourself being pulled in closer to him. "Your eyes are so... beautiful." You barely have time to make sense of h...
159K 7.3K 34
He was sitting on bed in front of me in white shirwani. The look of utter adoration and devotion was completely visible in his ocean blue eyes. So mu...
3.4K 593 30
*A Ziall AU* Zayn has always loved his sister. She meant the world to him. Doniya Malik has been Zayn's goddess. Zayn had always looked up to his s...
60.5K 3.8K 57
"Why did you call me here?" zayn asked with a hope that maybe, maybe harry wanted to apologize to him. "My daughter is missing and I need your help...