She's On The Hunt - (Book 2 o...

By lilly-rain

Eva and Saxon are finally a mated couple but nothing is ever simple for them. Instead of settling down and do... More

Chapter 1 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 2 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 3 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 4 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 5 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 6 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 7 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 8 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 9 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 11 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 12 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 13 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 14 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 15 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 16 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 17 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 18 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 19 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 20 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 21 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 22 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 23 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 24 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 25 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 26 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 27 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 28 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 29 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 30 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 31 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 32 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 33 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 34 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 35 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 36 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 37 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 38 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 39 - She's On The Hunt
Chapter 40 - She's On The Hunt
Epilogue - She's On The Hunt

Chapter 10 - She's On The Hunt

248K 3.7K 332
By lilly-rain

~ ~ Chapter Ten ~ ~

I honestly never thought I’d live to see the day I will wish Brody and Saxon would fight again; them being all teamed up together is like pure agony for the rest of us – especially me! I don't think I’ve ever been yelled at as much in all my life as what I had been after I shot the stupid Alpha with the dart.

They didn’t even hear me say it was just a sleeping dart and went berserk, though I will admit it was mostly Brody but Saxon was standing there and just agreeing with him as he shot me filthy daggers, not even standing up for me one little bit. Then I finally screamed at them it was just a sleeping dart and they got it through their thick skulls, you should have seen their faces.

Priceless, especially since I told them they can both shove their sorries up somewhere where the sun doesn’t shine.

And to prove just how serious I was, I joined Dale and sat down alongside him where he offered me a small smile and asked if I was okay because of the ‘bullies’ yelling at me – which angered Saxon and he ordered me to move away from the ‘enemy’ wolf. Please, as if Dale is a threat, he is too nice and naive to be any kind of a threat and so I refused to ‘obey’ Saxon.

So now I'm playing twenty questions with Dale while we all wait for Mr. Alpha wolf to come round, Brody has been trying anything he can to wake the dude up but it was all useless and resulted in nothing. I found out they wanted him for questioning and I'm not allowed to say this part to Dale but Saxon doesn’t believe the guy is the actual Alpha but more like the third in command or something like that.

“Favourite colour?” Dale asked with a friendly smile and I heard Saxon scoff loudly.

“Purple and you?” I answered while shooting Saxon daggers for being annoying and rude. It’s not my fault I can make friends easily...when I want to that is.

“Dark blue,” Dale grinned and I nodded slowly while thinking of another question to ask.

“Favourite food?” I looked back up at him and waited for his reply which didn’t take too long.

“Spaghetti,” he grinned and rubbed his stomach for dramatic effect.

“Cool, I love nachos,” I chuckled as my mouth salivated at the thought of a big yummy bowl of home cooked nachos.

“I have the ingredients in my house; you can make some if you want?” Dale offered and I smiled at how nice he was. He sure was a change from the arrogant males I’ve been dealing with lately...not including Harper because I would say he is just as nice as what Dale is.

“Awesome, which house is yours?” I asked as I jumped to my feet and looked down at him.

“I don't think so Eva,” Saxon snapped and I looked over at him with a raised eyebrow while he glared back at me.

“Why not?” I questioned. Harper and Chris had gone and raided all the nearby houses before to find clothing for each of them since they wanted to be in human form while they waited around for the Alpha or non-Alpha to wake up. So obviously it was safe for me to go and make a feed.

“Because I said so,” Saxon grumbled before turning his back to me like a spoilt child.

“Ha,” I scoffed loudly, “Like that’s ever made a difference before.”

Chris secretly grinned over at me when Saxon was too busy staring at me with high annoyance, ‘You tell him Eve, don't let him boss you around.’

Rolling my eyes slightly because I think Chris only said that because he was hurt still from Saxon suddenly kicking him out of his pack and forcing him to be a loner until I came along and saved the day for him. I was like a female knight in shining armour for Chris that day – maybe that’s an over exaggeration but it’s still fun to think that.

My name's not Eve douch bag,’ I muttered back.

“I'm taking a stand from now on,” Saxon’s tone was firm and serious which caused me to raise an eyebrow at him with curiosity of where this was going but before I could ask, he told me, ‘You need to start listening to me as not only your mate but as your Alpha Eva. It’s embarrassing to have other packs see you ignore direct commands the way you do.’

My jaw dropped open; did he just seriously say that to me? I glanced around at the others to see if they had heard as well and Harper looked slightly disgusted by Saxons words, Chris was frowning and Vance just didn’t seem to care which was no surprise to me but it was Brody who made me smirk.

‘What is wrong with you?’ he snapped with a ticked off look on his face as he frowned at Saxon, ‘You can’t speak to my little sister like that!’

I resisted the urge to tell him off for referring to me as his ‘little’ sister since he was sticking up for me but still; I'm like minutes younger than all of them. It doesn’t exactly make me little.

‘I can speak to my mate however I want,’ Saxon argued back instantly, rising up and getting all defensive which just proves he is in the wrong right now and that for once it isn’t me – which is a tad bit satisfying to know.

‘Not when she’s standing right here you can’t,’ I smirked smugly but on the inside I was pretty angry with the words he had chosen to use. I'm sure he could have said it in a much nicer way or asked me to play along when around other packs or something but to basically demand it of me in the way he just did...that’s really rude.

He knew what I am like when he first met me and to be honest, I think I have been playing fair and nicer lately but not anymore.

‘I am still all of yours Alpha,’ he growled as I walked over to stand beside Brody while Harper and Chris walked over and joined us. Vance naturally stood by Saxon’s side and the line between us all was obvious and they were outnumbered.

‘Not if we call mutiny,’ I muttered while folding my arms over my chest.

‘Only pirates do mutiny Eva,’ he snapped angrily and I shook my head slowly.

‘Nope, anyone can and we will.’

‘Don't you dare turn your back on me,’ he growled as his body started trembling which is something I haven’t seen him do for so long now and it shocked me a little at first but I got over it quickly.

‘I'm not, I'm just going to meet you back at home when you’ve finished what you’re doing...and maybe by then you will have changed your attitude,’ I growled back but in a much lighter tone than what he had just used on me.

‘And if I say sorry?’ he grunted through clenched teeth, his nostrils flaring as he took large deep breathes to try and calm himself down.

I smiled slightly, ‘I’d say I'm still pretty ticked right now.’

‘Fine!’ he growled loudly, his tone booming through my head and the others, ‘I don't need you anyway; you’re only slowing me down. Run back home to your daddy if you can make it that far without me and don't bother calling me for help because I won’t come!’

I winced at the harshness of his words and as much as that little voice at the back of my mind was yelling at me that he was only saying this to be spiteful and that he didn’t mean any of it but I couldn’t help but rise right back up at him.

‘Fine!’ I shouted back, my hands curled up into tight fists by my sides as I glared deep into his blackening eyes, ‘But it’s me who doesn’t need you! I was fine before you came along and don't worry Saxon – you’re the last person I would call for help...not that I need it anyway!’ and as a last little comment on my part no matter how immature it was, I added, ‘And I'm telling my dad what you just said, so you better watch it mister because he’s going to get you now!’ and with that I turned on my heel and stormed out.

‘Fine!’ he shouted again.

‘Fine!’ I screamed back at him, my anger wildly out of control as I ran through the open doorless exit and changed into my wolf mid stride, ripping the clothes off my back and welcoming the small sense of freedom I felt right now as I bolted for the trees.

Running through the trees while abusing and cursing Saxon inside my head about how much he hasn’t changed, how much of a pig he is, a gorilla, an idiot, a controlling freak and everything else I could think of to call him. A few quick minutes had passed before I vaguely heard the sounds of paws racing against the ground behind me, one sniff of the wind blowing up behind me told me it was my family but I had already guessed that.

‘Brody just let her blow it off,’ Harper mumbled quietly.

‘I was just going to ask if she’s okay,’ he snapped back defending himself.

‘She’s obviously not but Harpers right,’ Chris answered him.

‘It’s Eva, she’ll talk when she wants to,’ Harper spoke again and that was the end of their conversation as they ran a few paces behind me, giving me my space which I appreciated.

Deep down my wolf is telling me that Saxon and I will work this out but right now working it out with him is the last thing on my mind. That boy sure knows how to ruin things and get in under my skin, I'm so furious with him.

(Saxon’s POV)

My eyes were glued to the opening in the shed, staring at the last place I had seen and I couldn’t look away as my body trembled and my wolf fought for dominance to chase her down but I knew I couldn’t do that, after all it’s me she is running from right now.

‘That was unexpected,’ Vance muttered, clearly unsure of how to ‘comfort’ me but I didn’t care.

‘I did it on purpose,’ my own voice didn’t even sound like mine as I spoke to him and I could only hope Eva will forgive me by the time I get back home.

‘What?’ his shock was clear as day since I hadn’t told anyone about my plan when we were running here to save her.

Shaking my head a little as I looked away from the opening and glanced at the still unconscious wannabe Alpha, ‘It’s for the best,’ I mumbled and it really was. I knew the others would make sure she will get home safely but I'm still going to worry about her until I find out she made it.

This kidnapping proved just how dangerous it was to have her out here in the wilderness with me, I couldn’t even stop someone from snatching her from me and I was right there. I don't know what I would have done if this pack had severely harmed her, but the guilt was gnawing at the back of my mind because I'm her mate for crying out loud, I should have never let them get a hand on her in the first place.

And since we all know how stubborn Eva is, we all know she wouldn’t have willingly gone home if I had told her how I was really feeling. She would have blown my concerns off and stayed put with me, refusing to leave. So I had to do what I had to do and that was making her angry enough with me for her to want to leave on her own accord. Though I did go a little over the top when I told her I wouldn’t come help her because I knew I would, I would do anything for that girl.

Vance seemed to think he understood where I was coming from, whether he actually did or not I don't know because he just simply nodded and said nothing.

‘We’re going to need some of our own pack to join us out here,’ I spoke while looking over at the far wall where we had the other wolves all lined up still. Tilting my head slightly to the side I wondered why none of them made a run for it while we were arguing; I would have used that distraction as a perfect chance to attack at least.

‘I’ll start asking around,’ Vance responded and fell silent as he went and stood guard next to the caged wolf.

My eyes landed on the dopey looking guy who Eva had been talking with, I wanted to rip his head off for being so friendly with her especially right in front of me. Who did he think he was talking to my mate?

His eyes met mine and he quickly glanced away but I could see he wanted to say something to me and I didn’t have to wait long as he grew a pair and spoke up.

“She didn’t deserve to be yelled at...again,” he mumbled, clearing his throat at the end as he glanced my way briefly and stared back at the floor. I watched as his fingers shifted together showing how nervous he was right now and it made me smirk a little, though my anger levels were still pretty high since I can’t calm down instantly.

“What would you know?” I spoke through clenched teeth as I glared at him before eyeing off the other wolves who all were looking somewhere else. If they weren’t so scared right now they might have woken up and realised Vance and I were extremely outnumbered, not that it made a difference back when they first took Eva.

“I-I....um, she...cares about you,” he stuttered as he struggled to form his words, “She never gave up even before I told her where she was.”

Smirking on the inside and shaking my head a little, it now made sense how she found out her location. When she said she was messing with her kidnappers I didn’t think she actually used one to find out what she wanted and it made my heart ache to know I won’t be seeing that little spitfire anytime soon.

Eva sure makes life more interesting.

“That’s because she knows I will always find her,” I mumbled before turning my back on them and walking back over to the caged wolf. When on earth is he going to ever wake up?

I didn’t say this to the others but this pack is really suspicious, there is something off about them, like there’s more than what meets the eye and I'm determined to find out what it was. Vance knows I'm thinking this but none of the Thorns do because they might have told Eva. I only told her my suspicions about the ‘Alpha’ and nothing else.

‘Okay, we’ve got roughly twenty heading out here soon but they’ll probably be a day or two,’ Vance glanced over at me as I kept my eyes on the caged wolf but I gave him a short nod. A day or two isn’t really that long but when you’re stuck in the one spot with only two of you against a small pack but with probably more who can arrive at any minute now, well than that day or two is a pretty long time.

We needed a game plan of some sort. Glancing back over at the others against the wall I guess I could offer them a choice of possibly joining me and becoming a loyal pack member or being chained up because I'm not having loose enemies sitting around to finally get the guts to strike back.

I also really needed something to distract my mind from Eva and my worry about her. It was going to be a few days before she at least made it back and anything can happen in that time.

‘Do you think any of them would be willing to join us?’ I asked Vance, giving a small nod in the wolves’ direction.

He frowned slightly, but looked over at them and I watched him eye each of them up and down carefully before shrugging after a few minutes, ‘Maybe, the one talking to Eva probably will. He doesn’t seem to really fit in along with the two others.’

I nodded my appreciation of his suggestion. I didn’t really want the one who was getting all cosy with my girl on my side but it would at least put him in his place and prove to him he can’t mess around with my girl in any way at all.

‘You thinking the ones who survived the ambushed in the woods will be back soon?’ Vance asked as he turned and glanced out the opening at the tree line in the short distance.

Nodding slowly, ‘Why wouldn’t they? This is their home apparently.’

‘So what’s your plan then?

I loved the fact he didn’t question or argue but just accepted what I say and follows it, that’s how a real pack member is meant to behave towards their Alpha but I hate to admit I miss having Chris as my second hand man, he knew me better than anyone except for Eva, she’s catching up fast.

‘Figure out the ones who will change pack and mean it and then chain up the rest. Maybe see how many darts we can find and knock them out so they can’t use their mind link anymore – who knowswhat messages they have already passed along by now.’ My eyes glanced over at the smallish gun Eva had used earlier on and it made my anger levels spike up again knowing she had been shot with that. What if it had been a proper gun?

‘What’s first then?’ Vance asked as he came and stood beside me.

‘You go find however many darts you can while I sort out the enemy from possible newbie’s,’ I smirked slightly; just because they agree to trade packs doesn’t mean it will be handed to them. They will have to prove they can keep up or at least have potential to be a part of my pack. We don't accept just anyone; though it will be easier than normal because this isn’t a normal circumstance.

‘On it,’ and with that he quickly turned and walked out in search of more darts while I stayed facing the wolves with narrow eyes as I tried to judge who can be a potential newbie and who will be knocked out for awhile.

“Listen up,” my voice echoed around the shed strong and firm and in a tone that meant business which gained all of their undivided attention immediately as they shifted nervously in their spots. This will be too easy. “I have a proposition for you all,” I let the words sink in for a few moments to get their minds thinking.

“Raise your hand if you’re willing to join the Redford pack...indefinitely.”

Their eyes widened and their jaws slacked as this sunk in and I watched them all exchanging uneasy looks between one another, wondering if this was some kind of set up or trick. All except for one and I growled internally as he raised his hand with no hesitations – Eva’s suck up.

My eyes darted to his and he gulped under my gaze while I sized him up for the hundredth time since arriving here, “Don't bother joining if you think it will get you closer to my mate,” I growled fiercely.

Immediately his head shook, “No, no, that’s not the reason...I actually don't like it here,” he gushed quickly in one breathe.

Keeping my face neutral I gave a short nod, “You get one chance; try to talk to, befriend, harass perve or even look in my mates’ direction and I’ll cast you out with two less limbs to which you joined with. Am I clear?” I growled again, making sure to get my point across about how serious I am on the subject of Eva.

He nodded rapidly and after a minute of staring at him and making him sweat and squirm a little I gave him a nod to move to the far side of the wall, which he did with no hesitations or looking back at his very soon to be old pack.

“What’s your name?” I called out to him without looking in his direction.

“Dale, Alpha Sir,” he responded which made me smirk on the inside a little. I’ve never been called ‘Sir’ before.

Another guy raised his hand practically seconds after Dale had and he now had my attention. Nodding for him to speak, he stood to his feet and kept his head bowed a little, “I will join as well,” he muttered but he didn't sound convincing enough.

“Don't bother joining just to turn us in, because it won't work,” I snarled dangerously, giving him a fair warning even though he didnt deserve one at all.

The guy snapped his head up and met my eyes for three seconds before looking away, he was angry I had just said that to him. He glanced over in Dale’s direction once before looking back to the floor, “Dale’s my brother, and I have to go where he does.”

Thinking about it for a moment, I wondered if this was the truth or not because they looked nothing alike but then again not all siblings can be freakishly similar like the Thorns are but seeing them all looking the same is normal to me now.

“Fine, one chance just like Dale – what’s your name then?”

“Jacob,” he muttered and went to join his brother, punching his arm as he reached him and muttering something about handing their lives over to be killed.

Vance walked back in shortly after and was getting annoyed by having no one turn down my generous offer and he kept silently complaining about wanting to shoot someone with the dart...he soon got his wish when after the third wolf to trade sides one denied my offer and Vance was on the ball, shooting him not even seconds after the word ‘no’ escaped his mouth.

Smirking a little as I shook my head gently in mild amusement at Vance’s antics because it’s not every day you see him excited about something in particular.

I knew there was something off about this pack because some didn’t want to join me but they wanted permission to just simply leave and be involved with neither pack. They didn’t get approved for that and Vance knocked those few out. No wolf voluntarily goes into rogue mode, especially not that lightly unless they have previously been a rogue before.

Which only made me more suspicious of who or what this pack really is, even Vance is feeling my suspicion one hundred percent now because before he was only taking my word on it.

We had just dealt with the last wolf when groaning sounded out from behind us and both Vance and I turned at the same time to see the wolf stirring. That was another suspicious thing too – all wolves transform back to human state if they are knocked unconscious like that. Don't ask me why but we just do. This one didn’t, he stayed in wolf form which goes along with the habit of a rogue.

They are the only ones who stay in wolf form constantly (except for rare circumstances like for us right now with our travelling) because their bodies are so use to being that way that it's natural for them.

Walking over towards the cage and squatting down alongside it so I could maintain eye level with the wolf for when he fully woke up, I was ready to play the waiting game since it wasn’t going to be too much longer until he was alert again.

‘Do you think he’s going to talk?’ Vance asked slowly as he stood back by the other knocked out wolves and watched.

Shrugging slightly, I seriously had no idea but I could only hope.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

915K 14.6K 40
Alexia wanted a mate, but what happens when her Mate doesn't want her. Every year, The Red-Moon pack would host a Party, for the unmated wolves. Litt...
711K 23.5K 35
After a nightmarish attack, Ludovica loses her entire family. Ever since then, she exterminates all rogue wolves who dare trespass into her lands wit...
12.8K 617 64
"I, Alpha Dylan Langley, Alpha of the waterside pack Reject you, Esme West pack member of waterside west to be my mate and Luna" On Esme's 18th birth...
128K 4.3K 19
Ginger has a far from normal family. Not to mention, their werewolves. After her parents death, her brothers have become her everything. Her brothers...