Love and Hate: A Dramione

By queenofhogwartss

Hermione's life couldn't get any better, until one person destroys it all. Will Draco be the answer to her pr... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 24

13.8K 317 488
By queenofhogwartss

Hermione stood frozen in shock. A million thoughts went through her head but she remained paralyzed. Draco was kissing her. She didn't know what to do. She shouldn't be doing this. His lips felt soft and warm against hers but still, she didn't move.

Draco gently kissed Hermione's lips for a few moments waiting for her to respond. When her lips remained still, he started to pull away, deeply disappointed.

As soon as Draco started to pull away, all thoughts went out of Hermione's head. She felt an agonizing sense of loss and she acted on instinct. When Draco's lips left hers, Hermione pulled him in with a gasp and captured his lips in a searing kiss.

Time stopped. There really was no other way to describe it. At that moment, nothing else mattered. When Hermione pulled him in, Draco wasted no time in showing her just how he felt about her. He poured out his whole self, body and soul into that kiss. She made him feel invincible. She made him feel like he could do anything - even be a good person. She made him feel hope. To finally be with her after all this time, after everything they've been through, the feeling was indescribable. Merlin, how he loved her! He knew that now. He loved Hermione Granger. The impossibility of the situation didn't even matter in that moment. With her in his arms, he was never more sure of anything in his life.

Hermione matched his fervor. She'd never had a kiss like this before. A thousand emotions rushed through her threatening to burst but she didn't feel overwhelmed. When their lips met that second time everything came together. Everything felt...right. She knew she needed Draco but this, this was different. He was never closer to her than he was at that moment. At that moment, she knew him. He usually let his guard down around her but not like this. At that moment he was an open book, completely hers to read and she couldn't get enough. Her body went haywire. Her heart beat faster than a hummingbird, there was a stampede in her gut, and her whole body was on fire. She felt complete when she was with him but this was different. He made her feel alive. He made everything come together, made her sure of herself. In that moment she knew who she was. She knew her place in the world. Her place was with him.

They reluctantly broke apart for air. They stared at each other for a few moments, gasping. With her flushed cheeks and bright eyes, Draco had never seen anyone look so beautiful.

"What?" Hermione whispered questioningly at his expression.

"Beautiful," Draco murmured, giving her a gentle kiss.

Hermione gave him a soft smile.

Draco pulled her onto his lap and held her close as they watched the river go by.

"I guess this changes things," he said, breaking the silence.

"Does it have to?" Hermione asked, turning around in his arms to face him.

Draco looked at her incredulously. "You have to be daft not to know how I feel about you after that kiss. And I know you're definitely not indifferent either."

"Are you sure about that?" Hermione asked blankly. At Draco's shocked face, she decided to take pity on him. "I'm kidding," she said, giving him a brilliant smile. She kissed him on the cheek. "I care about you." Draco raised his eyebrow. "A lot," she added with a smile.

"That's better," he said with a grin, before pulling her in for a real kiss.

"Alright," Hermione said with a sigh after they broke apart. "Seriously though, this can't change things."

"What do you mean? It's a little late for that don't you think?"

"Just hear me out," Hermione said, pulling herself out of his arms. She started walking along the shore. "I like you and you like me. But out there," she waved her arms at the forest above. "We can't be together. My friends – "

"Screw your friends," Draco interrupted.

"And your family?" Hermione continued, looking at him pointedly. "Even if by some miracle, Harry sees sense and becomes ok with this, it's not just Hogwarts we have to worry about. Voldemort and your father want you to become a DeathEater and they would definitely have a problem about you dating me. You refusing them would put your mother and Sophie in danger."

"I won't let anything happen to them," Draco declared stubbornly.

"And me?" Hermione insisted. "Voldemort's already after me for Harry. Merlin knows what he and your father would do if they knew about us. All that aside, we're just too different. This shouldn't even be happening! I'm Hermione freaking Granger and you're Draco sodding Malfoy!"

"You're hot and I'm cold, I'm yes and you're no, I'm in and you're out, you're up and I'm down," Draco replied dryly. Hermione didn't smile. Draco sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "We've been through this Hermione. You know me. I'm not just Malfoy anymore just like you're not just Granger. Why can't you get over the past?"

"Because you deserve better," Hermione said. "We would never work out. There's too much against us. You should be with someone else."

"I don't want anyone else!" Draco yelled.

"We can't always get what we want," Hermione said quietly.

"Well, I do!"

"See? We can't even go two minutes without fighting!" At Draco's glare she continued. "Don't you think I want this too? I want this to work! But we both know it's impossible. I want to be with you more than anything!"

"It sure doesn't seem like it," Draco replied.

Hermione remained silent.

"You know what? I'm done," Draco added after a moment. "I'm tired of this crap. I'm tired of having everything thrown back in my face. Everything that comes out of your mouth are excuses – just excuses. You hide behind the past, Voldemort, our reputations, our classmates, everything. The truth is, you're just scared. You're scared of leaving behind everything that's familiar for something so unpredictable. On some level, you know that we could be something great but you're too scared to take the risk. It's always been like that – predictable Hermione Granger. You plan out a road map and you stick to that road no matter what, never wavering. Everything that pushed you off course has always been out of your control and you just react to it. You were never one to explore an unmarked trail on your own. You're a coward."

Draco's words felt like a stab to Hermione. She was starting to find it hard to breathe but she refused to breakdown in front of him. Hermione summoned Draco's broom. She looked at Draco and tried to keep her voice from shaking.

"Take me back now, please," she said in a strong voice, meeting Draco's eyes.

Wordlessly, Draco walked over to her and they made their way back to Hogwarts.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Hermione jumped off the broom and walked away as soon as they landed. Draco didn't stop her.

Tears blurred her vision as Hermione walked blindly around the school grounds.

Why is the whole world against me?!

She must've been a real bitch in her past life because there's no other reason for her life to be this bad. Nothing was going right, the man she loved was dead, and she just pushed away the only person who knew her better than she knew herself. She kicked the ground in frustration and noticed where she was. Her feet had unconsciously carried her to Cedric. Well, Cedric's memorial. Dumbledore had put a small marble stone in a quiet corner of the grounds in memory of Cedric. It was simple, just about four feet tall, with a shape not unlike a headstone. His name and house was inscribed on the marble with the words, "His courage and kindness knew no bounds."

Hermione crumpled at the foot of the stone and broke down, letting her sobs completely take over her body. She started to murmur his name over and over. Cedric...Cedric... Her voice grew louder and louder until she was screaming herself hoarse, her fists pounding against the marble.

"Cedric! Why did you leave me?! I needed you! I still need you! Cedric please," Hermione's voice lowered to a whisper, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I love you. Please come back. Cedric, please."

Hermione felt cold and alone as she lay against the stone. She never realized that someone could feel so many different emotions in a single day – contentment this morning, anger at Genevieve, elation at kissing Draco, guilt for kissing Draco, and now grief and loneliness. This day, no, this year had been an insane test of her character. She had cried more this year than in her whole life put together. Hermione put her arms around herself to warm the cold inside her. She lay there for what seemed like hours before she realized something – Cedric wasn't coming back. Cedric was dead. Cedric was...dead. Two years. Almost two years have passed by and before this moment, Hermione never allowed herself to think that Cedric was dead. She knew this on some level but it never fully hit her until now. She knew in her mind that he was gone but she never felt it in her heart, in the depth of her soul. She had never accepted it. Until now. He was gone. No amount of magic or knowledge could ever bring him back. Killing Voldemort will not bring him back. The only thing that kept Hermione going for so long was a thought in the back of her mind that maybe...maybe if she accomplished something – helped defeat Voldemort or find the answer in a book – what she did would bring Cedric back. Now, accepting his death came with a sense of hopelessness that threatened to crush her. But it also came with clarity. She was still here. She had to go on. She had to make sure his death wasn't in vain and more importantly, she had to move on. Hermione believed in fate and it looks like they just weren't meant to be together. She was sent to his life to show him true love and happiness before he died and he, in turn, was sent to her to love her unconditionally and help her see value in herself. So now what? Now that fate had run its course with Cedric, where does that leave her? She didn't know where to start. She didn't know where she belonged.

And there it was. Another flash of clarity. Thinking of the kiss by the river, Hermione jumped up and ran towards the castle.

oOoOoOoOoOo

Draco was fed up. He didn't know what to do with her anymore. He decided to stay in his room for hours seething. He was Draco Malfoy – he didn't chase after girls. He refused to go to the Great Hall for dinner or to see Sophie. He knew that his resolve would break if he saw her again tonight. Why were things so difficult?! He thought they were finally headed in the right direction. That kiss was amazing, unbelievable, incredible. He had never had a kiss like that before. Merlin, she drove him crazy! No one had ever made him feel like this before. He wanted to shake her and snog her at the same time. What the hell was wrong with her?! One minute she's kissing him like no tomorrow and the next, she pushes him away. Was she playing him? He refused to believe that. Hermione wasn't like that. Or at least, the Hermione he knew wasn't like that. And that's just it. He knew her. He knew her inside and out. Sometimes, he knew her better than she knew herself and he knew that she had some feelings for him too. Why was she fighting this? Granted, her arguments were valid but he was sure they could find a solution if she was just willing to try. And that was the problem. Hermione was an amazing person but she was just so damn insecure! Draco didn't think he had ever met a person more insecure than Hermione was. While he loved the fact that she was different from other girls who flaunted their assets, it was frustrating when even she didn't recognize the greatness in herself. Draco couldn't understand why it was so hard for her to see that. She's Hermione Granger for Merlin's sake! She's absolutely stunning and wickedly smart, strong, fierce, passionate, loyal, kind, compassionate. She's also infuriating, emotional, impatient, and scathingly sarcastic when she wants to be. She was incredible and he loved her. The thought brought him up short. Was he really going to let her go so easily? It was hard enough for him to find people he could tolerate, even harder to find girls that interested him. If that kiss was anything to go by, he was much more than interested in Hermione.

Draco looked at his watch. It was really late and she was probably asleep but he had to try. Draco crept out of the dungeons and hurriedly made his way over to Sophie's room, hoping that Hermione would be there. He would try again. He would make her see sense. No matter how long it took he would help her see how amazing she really was.

Eventually, he reached Sophie's suite. He quietly opened the door and slowly walked in. To his great relief, he saw Hermione sleeping on the couch. She looked like she had waited for him because she still had her uniform on and she didn't even transfigure the sofa yet. The thought made him smile. However, the smile slowly disappeared as he looked at her. Her sleeping face looked troubled and she was slightly shaking. He could hear her murmur softly against the cushion. She was clearly having a bad dream. Concerned, Draco moved closer and reached out to wake her up.

"Cedric," Hermione whispered.

Draco pulled his hand back quickly, as if she burned him. With a disgusted look he hurriedly walked out of the room.

Diggory. Draco thought with a disgusted sneer. He couldn't believe he deluded himself into thinking that Hermione was interested in him. Malfoy, the Death Eater? Of course not! Draco let out a sardonic laugh. If love made people blind, it was extra mad at him and made him deaf and stupid too. Who the hell was he kidding? He didn't deserve her. He was nothing but an evil git, Voldemort's lackey. No, she deserved someone like Diggory – someone pure and noble and good. The funny thing was he didn't even remember Diggory was dead until after a few minutes. The fates must be laughing at him now. It's bad enough for Hermione to want someone else, but to be beaten by a dead guy? That's just rich. To think he thought that her arguments were a result of insecurity! No, she was just trying to let him down easy, blaming the situation so he wouldn't see that she wasn't interested in him at all. Why does she have to be so damn good? Why did she bother to spare his feelings? She should have just laughed in his face and told him he was an evil bastard who has no chance in hell of ever catching her eye. It would've made things so much easier. Now he can't get her out of his mind. He can't get that kiss out of his mind. Why did she kiss him? Was she playing him after all? Was it a one-time sick experiment like running your fingers through a flame to see how slow you can go before you get burned? Let's see what happens if I kiss Draco Malfoy?

oOoOoOoOoOo

Hermione woke up with a crick in her neck. She looked down at her rumpled uniform and sighed. I guess he's really mad at me. Draco must've been furious enough not to come see Sophie just to avoid her. She couldn't blame him. She was an idiot. Who else would be stupid enough to turn Draco Malfoy down? And it had nothing to do with his status or wealth. He was an incredible person and they fit. Despite the impossibility of the situation considering the world they live in, they made sense. Hermione just had to let go to see that.

She heard Sophie waking up in the bedroom. Hermione looked at her watch. She must've woken up later than she thought. She had minutes before her first class so she had no time to change. She hurriedly went to the bathroom to freshen up and she used her wand to smooth her uniform and clean her teeth. The spell left an unpleasant aftertaste in her mouth but she had no other choice. She walked out of the bathroom at the same time Sophie stumbled sleepily out of her room.

"Good morning Sophie," Hermione greeted giving the little girl a hug and picking her up. She placed a kiss on top of Sophie's head. Whatever happened between her and Draco, Hermione hoped that she would still be able to see Sophie.

"Morning Hermione," Sophie answered. "Did my brother visit Mum again? He didn't give me a kiss goodnight last night."

"No," Hermione answered, ruffling Sophie's hair. "He was just really busy with homework. I'm sure he'll come see you today."

"Ok," Sophie said, content with the answer for now. "Do you want to have breakfast with me?"

"I wish I could but I need to get to class," Hermione said as she walked toward the door. "I'll see you later!"

"Bye Hermione!" Sophie called.

Hermione hurried to her first class and she got to her seat just before the first bell rang.

"Hey Hermione," Harry greeted as he slid in beside her. "I didn't see you at breakfast today. Everything ok?"

"Yup," Hermione answered. "I just fell asleep in the library again."

Harry smiled and nudged her arm playfully. "I know I can't stop you so just don't go overboard okay? You really didn't miss that much when you were gone, I promise."

"I know, but I can't stop it you know? It's second nature for me to worry about school."

The class began, cutting off Harry and Hermione's conversation. As Professor Binns droned on about another war, Hermione looked over at the Slytherins. She kept trying to catch Draco's eye to gauge how mad he was at her but he resolutely kept his eyes away from her direction. Halfway through the period, Hermione sighed. Usually he would have looked at her by now. He would even smile at her when no one was looking but she wasn't expecting that. Not today. But a little acknowledgement would be nice. He could even glare at her. At least she'd be able to have some idea before she talked to him.

Eventually, it was time for the last class of the day. Despite having two other classes with her, Draco still had not looked at Hermione's direction. Throughout lunch he kept his attention on Blaise, his gaze never once wavering from the Slytherin table. Hermione was getting frustrated. Yes, she screwed up but was that it? He never wanted to talk to her again? If he liked her so much why would he suddenly pretend like she never existed? He was the one who wanted to try wasn't he? Even if they weren't going to work out, was he really going to throw away their friendship without so much as a conversation?

As she packed her bag, Hermione was planning on how best to corner Draco after dinner to force him to talk. Luckily, she didn't have to wait long since she noticed Draco come up and ask the professor a question. Hermione left the room with the other students but she hung back around the corner and waited for Draco to come out.

Draco walked out of the class exhausted and hungry. He wanted nothing more than to get dinner and then collapse. He might even just curl up with Sophie tonight. He didn't think he had the energy to make it from her suite to the dungeons and he couldn't not see her tonight after avoiding her suite yesterday. Avoiding Hermione was harder than he thought. He never realized how many times he looked at Hermione in a day. Even when he hated her he still looked at her, if only to irritate her. His eyes had wanted to look at her all day but he refused to do so. She obviously didn't care about him so he needed to get over her. The quickest way to do that would be to never see her again. Yeah ok, so his plan was a little flawed but he sure as hell was going to try. He was trying to put his notes in his bag when an arm pulled him into an empty classroom.

Within seconds, Hermione had cast a locking and silencing spell.

"Talk."

"Excuse me?" Draco asked incredulously.

"What's going on with you today?" Hermione asked furiously.

"I don't know what you're talking about and I don't think I owe you any explanations Granger," Draco said coldly.

"So it's back to Granger now, is it?" Hermione asked. She sighed. "Look, I'm sorry, ok? Yesterday just took me by surprise. Things just came at me too fast. I didn't even really know I cared about you in that way until that moment."

"Cut the bullshit Granger. Lying doesn't become you," Draco said as he walked towards to door.

Hermione grabbed his arm and forced him to look at her. They were standing close to each other now, their robes almost touching.

"I don't understand," Hermione said trying to look into his eyes but they were unreadable – he put up his walls. "I'm not lying. I truly didn't mean to hurt you and I'm sorry. I – "

"I can't believe you're still talking!" Draco was exasperated. "You had your fun ok? So quit wasting my time and just leave me alone!"

"No!" Hermione retorted. "I'm not leaving until we talk about this. Fun? I don't even understand what you're saying!"

"Diggory!" Draco shouted, causing Hermione to take a step back.

"What?" Hermione trembled.

"Yeah, that's right," Draco sneered at Hermione's frightened face. "I found you out. You said his name in your sleep. Did you have fun? What was it, a dare? Did the Gryffindor girls put you up to it? Or was it you and Potter, trying to bring me down a notch? All this time, you pretend to be interested in me when really, you were in love with Cedric Diggory. He may have been the Golden Boy everybody loved Granger, but newsflash – he's dead! Talk about unattainable."

Before yesterday, Draco's answer would have crushed Hermione. But she was sick of feeling weak.

"No, you don't understand – "

"I think I understand perfectly well," Draco said reaching for the door.

"I loved him!" Hermione declared. Draco stopped but he didn't turn around. "I still love him," Hermione said softly. "Cedric and I – " she sighed.

Draco turned around and faced her, his arms across his chest. She took it as a sign that he was listening.

"Cedric and I were involved. We became friends before fourth year even though no one knew about it. We remained friends throughout fourth year and eventually, we fell in love with each other along the way. We started seeing each other – "

"Wasn't Diggory going out with that Ravenclaw seeker?" Draco asked, breaking Hermione's faraway look.

"Yes." Hermione sighed. "We decided to keep the relationship a secret. With the immense pressure he was under for the TriWizard tournament, not to mention the other expectations that came with his reputation and status, as well as mine, we decided it would be easier if people believed we were merely acquaintances – schoolmates who barely talked to each other. He kept going out with Cho to keep up appearances and to please his father."

"You expect me to believe that you had a secret relationship with Cedric Diggory, Mr. Popularity?"

"That's exactly my point. No one would've believed us. Can you imagine what people would say if the plain, lowly, mudblood landed the most sought after wizard in Hogwarts? They would think I imperiused him or something."

"Well I don't know about 'Most sought after'."

Hermione gave a small smile. At least he didn't completely hate her. "Then there was the whole Harry issue. I was Harry's best friend for Merlin's sake! Going out – even simply being friends – with Cedric would've been seen as Gryffindor betrayal and fraternizing with the enemy. Goodness knows Harry had enough trouble that year without doubting me too. Say what you will but Cedric and I loved each other." Hermione softly smiled. "We were going to tell everyone. We lived in so much fear of losing each other that year. Anything was better than that. So we planned to bite the bullet and tell everyone as soon as the tournament was over."

"That night..." Draco trailed off.

Hermione turned somber. "That night was the hardest night of my life. When Harry came back with Cedric, I felt so relieved, like the whole world was taken off my shoulders. But it was short-lived. One look at Harry's face and one look at Cedric's and I knew. I kept telling myself that he was just injured. Harry simply helped him back. But even before I reached them, I knew he was gone." Tears were falling down Hermione's face but her voice remained steady. Sad, but strong. Draco longed to wipe the tears off but he let her finish. She wasn't there. At that moment her mind was in the middle of a vast field with a formidable maze in front of her and a crowd of spectators behind her. "I didn't even get to hold him one last time. As soon as they apparated I rushed down the bleachers toward Harry. I thought that I could use the pretense of hugging Harry to get to Cedric as well. But I was too slow and everything happened so fast. One moment I could hear the band playing and the next all I could hear was Mr. Diggory's anguished cry, stopping me in my tracks. After that, Dumbledore and Mr. Diggory took over Cedric's body and Harry was whisked away by Crouch pretending to be Moody." She looked at Draco, her eyes pleading. "I should've done something. I should've come with them! I had Harry's cloak in my hand! I could've – "

Draco didn't think twice. He gathered her in his arms and held her close, his anger forgotten. "Shh," he soothed, rubbing soft circles on her back. He bent his head down and kissed her hair. "It wasn't your fault. There was nothing you could've done."

Hermione trembled against his chest. "I could've protected him. When Wormtail..."

Draco stopped, loosened his hold, and looked into her eyes. No one else knew what happened in the graveyard that night. He only heard vague details when his father talked about it. Granted, Potter knew and likely told Hermione but she spoke as if she saw it happen herself. Suddenly, Hermione's agonized scream that night in the manor came back to Draco. Draco gently wiped her tears and tilted her face up. "That night in the manor...Voldemort?"

Hermione nodded. "I've had nightmares about it since," she said quietly. "That's what keeps me up at night. I usually call out for him. That's probably what you heard last night."

"I'm sorry," Draco said. And he was. Not only for acting like a jerk but also for Hermione's loss. At the same time, he couldn't help but feel sorry for himself. He knew that Hermione was too good for him. She deserved someone like Cedric Diggory. Someone who could love her and protect her and not hurt her like he had. Last night, he felt defeated when he thought that Hermione had a crush on Diggory. Of course, she would be interested in someone like Cedric. But now, knowing that she actually loved him and he loved her back...Well, there's no way he can compete with that now. No wonder she was so averse to a relationship with him yesterday.

As if reading his mind, Hermione broke the silence. "Draco, yesterday –"

"It's okay, I understand."

"No, I don't think you do." Hermione sat on a desk in front of him so that she was on eye level. She reached for his hands and held them, forcing him to look at her. "When I lost Cedric, it was hard for me to move on. I thought my life ended with his and that even if I kept going, there would be no one else out there for me. I just had to live my life and bide my time until I could be with him again. I even tried to speed up the process that night in the tower." She gave a short laugh. "Pretty pathetic, huh?" Draco remained silent. Hermione continued. "There were times when I thought so too. Before he died, Cedric told me to keep going so I tried. I tried to move on. I tried a relationship with Ron because it seemed to make sense. It seemed inevitable. A relationship with him was safe, and as you said, predictable. Or at least, I thought so. We both know that didn't work out. But even when I was with him, there was something missing. I knew that my heart wasn't really in it, that I was just going through the motions. Looking back on it, I can't really blame him for wanting someone else."

"No, he was just a jerk."

Hermione smiled and continued, giving Draco's hands a squeeze. "And then I met you." Draco caught his breath. "Well, met isn't exactly the right term," said Hermione with a short laugh. "I...I started to get to know you and things became so different. I started to feel...alive again. I never realized how dead I was inside until I started talking to you. It didn't happen in one specific moment but slowly, I started to wake up. You saved my life twice but you're also the one who brought me back to life." She paused. "Wow, I'm sounding really cheesy right now. I'm not usually like this," she said blushing. "And that's just it. I've never been this way before. I've never felt like this about anyone before. When I got my parents' letter, you were the first person I thought of. Not Cedric, not Harry – you. Leaving you was one of the hardest things I had to do. I knew then that you had become important to me. But I didn't know until yesterday...until that kiss, exactly how I felt about you. I meant what I said yesterday. I care about you, a lot. I know a relationship with you is not going to be easy, hell, it's downright scary but I don't want to be a coward anymore. Cedric would've wanted me to let go. I want to let go. I don't know if this is the right choice or what's going to happen tomorrow but, if you're still up for it I'd certainly like to try."

Hermione looked down at his hands in hers, waiting for his response. Time passed agonizingly slow. What seemed like hours went by before Draco broke the silence.

"Hermione," he said, causing Hermione to look up. When their eyes met, Draco wasted no time in closing the distance between them, crushing his lips to hers in a searing kiss.

Kissing Draco was like nothing else in the world. Everything Hermione felt during their first kiss was amplified ten fold now that there was no hesitancy on either side. Kissing him was like having chocolate. It could potentially be bad for you but you eat it anyway and no matter how many times you have it, you know you could never get tired of it.

Now that she was his, Draco took his time giving her his answer. He still couldn't believe that she was in his arms right now. She had taken him on a roller coaster ride of emotions the past few weeks and now she was willing to try! The thought made Draco feel like he could fly without a broom. Despite her history, despite their history, despite his inadequacies, she was willing to try! When he thought she left Hogwarts forever, it felt like a huge part of him was ripped away. Now, she was in his arms and she wanted to be with him. Draco knew in that moment that he would never willingly let her go and he would do everything in his power to make sure she didn't regret the chance she gave him.

A long time later, they both reluctantly broke for air.

"Was that a yes then?" Hermione whispered smiling.

"Yes," Draco replied with a huge grin. He pulled Hermione closer, letting her scent envelop him. "So, where do we go from here?"

"Well, I was thinking the Great Hall. I'm starving."

"Cheeky, are we?"

Hermione laughed. "Okay fine, I'll be serious," she said looking up at Draco and pulling a serious face. She laughed again. Draco didn't think he'd ever get tired of hearing her laugh. "Okay, seriously now," Hermione tried again. "As much as I'm willing to try, I don't think I'm ready to deal with the rest of the world just yet. Do you think we could keep this a secret until we come up with a game plan?"

"Do secret relationships turn you on or something?" Draco asked earning a swat from Hermione. "Ow, alright fine!" Draco protested but he was smiling. "Okay, seriously, I think that's a good idea. Besides, I'd like to keep you to myself for a little bit longer," he added kissing the top of Hermione's nose. "But you'll have to tell me what to do since you're the expert at secret liaisons." Hermione hit him again. "Ow, not the face! Anything but the face!"

"That's what you get," said Hermione laughing. "Are you done now? I really am starving."

"Note to self: Never come between Hermione and food," Draco said in a deadpan voice as he helped Hermione off the desk. At her glare, he put on his meek, innocent smile. He knew she wouldn't be able to resist – it worked well with his mother. Sure enough, Hermione smiled a moment later.

"I don't know what I've gotten myself into," Hermione sighed.

"You're definitely in for an adventure," Draco replied. "See you tonight?"

"You better hope they don't run out of food by the time I get to the Great Hall."

oOoOoOoOoOo

The next day Hermione woke to find Draco sleeping beside her, his arm around her waist. She smiled as a warm feeling spread through her. She could definitely get used to this.

As promised, she went to Sophie's suite as soon as everybody was asleep. She could've made an excuse to get there earlier but she wanted to give the siblings time alone to catch up with each other. Sophie was asleep when Hermione arrived but Draco was waiting for her in the living room, a fire warming the room. Hermione caught her breath as she watched the firelight dance across Draco's face. She still couldn't believe that someone like him wanted to be with her. A huge smile broke out on his face when he looked up and saw her. She hurriedly sat down beside him because she didn't think her legs could hold her anymore after that look. They didn't talk much that night. They were both exhausted by the past 2 days so after a short while, they fell asleep in each other's arms.

Draco was slowly opening his eyes. "Good morning," he murmured softly.

"Good morning," Hermione replied.

Draco looked at her concernedly. "Did you sleep ok?"

Hermione knew what he meant. "No dreams," she replied. She felt Draco relax beside her. She caressed his cheek. "Come to think of it, I don't get the dreams when I sleep with you."

"You should sleep with me all the time then," Draco said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Hermione pushed him. "Prat."

"But you love me anyway," Draco teased in a sing-song voice.

Hermione sighed as she got up. "I don't why I do," she said but she smiled. As she rose from the transfigured couch, Draco pulled her back down and gave her an intense kiss.

"That's why," he said when he pulled away.

"I suppose that might have something to do with it," Hermione conceded with a laugh as she made her way to the bathroom.

When she came out moments later, Draco had a mischievous grin on his face.

"So, it's Friday today."

"So?" Hermione asked, not liking the look on his face at all.

"Since we don't have school tomorrow..." he paused, enjoying the apprehension on her face. "How would you like to go on a date with me?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

729K 19K 43
Hermione and Draco had been enemies from the first time they saw each other but something had happened in the years they were, Draco felt something t...
345 8 26
After being expelled from Hogwarts for getting into a duel and destroying school property, Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy are sentenced to live wi...
3.4K 35 30
Draco, Hermione and their friends return to school for their 6th year, Draco really like's Hermione and wants to make everything up to her but she's...
134K 3.1K 38
All characters and places in this story are created by J.K Rowling. This story is fan fiction based on Harry Potter and the Half blood Prince. Love...