The Roommate Rulebook

By Lilohorse

Available as an audiobook on audible, iTunes and wattpad band camp! Be sure to check the new version out to h... More

The Roommate Rulebook
Rule 1.
Rule 2
Rule 3
Rule 4
Rule 5
Rule 6
Rule 7
Rule 8
Rule 9
Rule 10
Rule 11
Rule 12
Rule 13
Rule 14
Rule 15
Rule 16
Rule 17
Rule 18
Rule 19
Rule 20
Rule 21
Rule 22
Rule 23
Rule 24
Rule 25
Rule 26
Rule 28
Rule 29
Rule 30
Rule 31 - The Final Rule.
Audiobook Giveaway! (ended)

Rule 27

364K 15.8K 2.5K
By Lilohorse

Rule 27 - not proofread, please ignore any mistakes, I'll fix them in the final edit. 

                Ash stirred in his sleep, his head rolling against my thigh. I watched as his eyes flickered open and my hand ran through his hair.

                "How long have I been asleep?" he asked. I offered a shrug and checked the clock in the hospital room.

                "About an hour," I told him and he sighed, sitting up to stretch. He blinked a couple of times before checking his dad.

                "Anything happened?" I gave him a sad look and shook my head.

                "No, sorry." He looked at the bed longingly and sighed. Our original plan was to scare the man awake. We had sat down on the sofa and started to explain everything that was happening, to see if he'd wake up with a high blood pressure or something.

                We'd worked out that this revenge motif wouldn't be possible unless Nate had something to be pissed about. Although, when I suggested that maybe the whole race was rigged, Ash got annoyed at me for accusing his father of such things. I shut up after that.

                "I thought that would work," he muttered. I patted his head and he grunted, cracking his back as he got up. "Come on," he told me. I looked up and frowned.

                "What?"

                "We need to go, I have a plan to leach out some information," he elaborated and started towards the door. I had no choice but to bolt after him, considering that I still didn't know my way around the hospital.

                Ash drove straight home at probably 10 miles above the speed limit with white knuckles.

                "Look, I know you're pissed," I started and Ash grunted, putting his foot on the brake. I shot forward in the seat and bounced backwards, almost winding me. I gagged when the seatbelt hit my neck and frowned.

                "You don't know how I'm feeling," he started and I raised an eyebrow.

                "Rule 27, don't start unnecessary arguments," I cut in. He gave me a sour look and tried again.

                "You don't know what it's like to have this hanging over your head," he said, looking straight out of the windscreen.

                "Yeah, I do," I replied but he scoffed.

                "I mean really know, Alex, not just empathising," he corrected.

                "I really know. Daniel was the son of the very powerful businessman. His dad owned a string of hotels, he was kind of like Paris Hilton. He had a following, he was quite popular down in Exeter. I got numerous death threats through the post, online and stuff for killing him," I said. Ash stiffened and bowed his head slightly.

                "Sorr-" I interrupted him again.

                "Not your fault. I'm just saying, I know you're pissed. I saw several of the girls that sent me those letters, but I knew that if I went hulk on them, I'd only make it worse. That's what I'm trying to get through your thick skull. Hitting the hell out of Nate is only going to anger him more."

                Ash said nothing for the rest of the ride home, but halfway there, he just rested his hand on my knee, giving it a gentle squeeze.

                When we arrived back at home, Dev was sprawled across the couch with a magazine and was shooting us a funny look. From the cafe, we went straight to the hospital, so he had no idea about Nate. We explained the situation, leaving him absolutely mortified.

                "Nate?"  he echoed.

                "And Ryder, I'm pretty sure," I agreed. Ash was close to pacing as he dropped into the arm chair and grunted.

                "We're about to find out," Ash said and looked directly at me. I frowned and he smirked, raising an eyebrow at me.

                "How do you suppose we do that?" Dev cut in. Ash got up and put his hands on my shoulders, his eyes boring into mine. He gently pressed his lips against mine, earning a clearing of the throat from Dev.

                "We're going to break up," Ash said simply. My jaw dropped and he grinned.

                "Brilliant idea, enlighten me as to how that will help?" I asked and Ash patted my shoulders, taking his hands away.

                "You'll go crying to the garage, claiming to be looking for Dev and he will be your shoulder to cry on," he said. "He won't be able to resist, having one up on me and all," he explained. I raised my eyebrows and folded my arms over my chest.

                "Not that I'm totally irresistible then, just that he wants one up on you," I said, feigning hurt. Ash turned his nose up.

                "You're an ugly bugger, why would he think that?" he asked, cocking his head to the side.

                "I hate you," I told him flatly.

                "Yeah, yeah, just get crying."

                "You'll be the one crying if I find that I prefer him to you," I sniffed, going into the bathroom to try and get myself crying.

                Being an expert in the whole 'I need to get Mum on side and make Dad look like the bad guy', I wasn't bad at the false crying thing.

                It took me less than ten minutes to sprout tears and walk down to the garage. Ash had given me several warnings about inappropriate touching, to which I told him would definitely be happening, just to get him back for the ugly bugger comment.

                I stormed into the garage, sniffing to look legit, and headed straight for the office. I rubbed some tears away from under my eyes and started to think of Daniel's accident to boost the act.

                "Has anybody seen Dev?" I asked, sounding completely and totally lost. A couple of the guys that worked there edged away and I sighed, preparing to leave. I hadn't seen Ry in there

                "Alex!" I heard from behind me and I twisted, watching Ryder come out from under a car, rubbing his hands with a towel.

                "Have you seen Dev?" I sniffed. Ry frowned, a concerned expression appearing on his face. I had knew it was probably false, but I played along with him anyway.

                "No, it's not his shift. What's the matter?" he asked, leaning on the doorframe.

                "Ash," I stammered. "I caught him with another girl in the apartment," I whimpered and Ryder sighed, pulling me in for a hug. I gave myself an inward high five and nuzzled closer.

                "I told you what he was like," he whispered, rubbing my back. It took everything in me not to slap his back.

                "I know, I know. I thought I was different," I cried and he shushed me, taking me into the office.

                "Please stop crying," he begged and handed me a tissue from Dev's desk.

                "I'm more angry than upset," I huffed and furiously wiped my eyes. "She wasn't even hot," I added and he chuckled, leaning back in the seat.

                "Who was she?"

                "I don't know, some random girl from the streets.  I came home early from work and there she was, sprawled across his lap, eating his face," I snapped and he sighed, running his hand through his hair. "I feel so stupid," I murmured.

                "Well, when I beat him in the races his face might make it a bit better," he chided.

                "Doesn't make up for it. I don't think you'll win," I countered.

                "Oh, I'll win," he said confidently. I frowned.

                "What makes you so sure?" I pushed.

                "Let's just say I have some help," he said and then pushed the chair back. "Now come on, I'll get you home. Dev should be there."

                "He's not, I'll walk down to the bar, see if he's there. What do you mean inside help?" I enquired as innocently as I could.

                "If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret, Doll."

                I decided that pushing any further would make me look suspicious, so I left, thanking him and summoning more tears.

                Before I went home, I swung by the bar to see Sid and ask her to help me apply some make up to my neck. I was planning on pissing Ash off by making it look like a hickey and then trying to hide it. By staying in the bar for an extra hour, it would make sense.

                I slipped into the front door, hickey hidden under my scarf. Ash was waiting in the front room, but Dev had gone down to check Ash's bike over and undo Jackson's damage.

                "Hi," I said simply and sat on the table. Ash frowned and followed me over, placing his hands on either side of me on the table edge.

                "How did it go?" he asked, looking me over. I shrugged.

                "Fine, I think he's in on it." Ash nodded at my words and ran his hands up and down my sides, pulling me closer. I let my legs hand by his hips and he sighed, resting his forehead against mine.

                "We knew that, let's be honest," he whispered and kissed me gently. I nodded and ran my hands around his shoulders, gently pushing against the curls at the nape of his neck. He recoiled almost instantly.

                "Why do you smell so strongly of guy?" he pushed. I looked at him blankly, trying to look guilty. I'd nicked the tiniest bit of Matt's, to make it all look legit.

                "I gave him a hug," I said simply and shrugged. Ash narrowed his eyes.

                "You don't smell like that from a hug," he justified and leaned in to smell me again. I pushed him away and frowned.

                "Stop it," I countered. Ash's eyes zeroed in on the scarf. He pulled on one side and I backed up. He gave me a look and pulled it off, narrowing his eyes when he spotted the red mark.

                "You-" he started, looking absolutely enraged.

                "Just got you good," I teased, rubbing at the lipstick.

                "I was going to say cheating bitch, but I swear to God," he warned and ran his hand through his hair.

                "Swear to God what? I'd rather have sex with a cactus," I offered. He let out a chuckle and pulled me closer.

                "That I was close to killing you," he said with a smirk. He was so close that I could feel his breath on my cheeks.

                "Close to killing me? Yeah right," I scoffed.

                "I hate you sometimes," he huffed.

                "You love me," I teased with a grin and kissed his cheek.

                "Sadly enough," he muttered. I was about to come out with another sarcastic comment when my jaw dropped and all air stuck in my throat. I didn't know what to say, whether he'd meant it seriously or as a joke.

                "Wait, what?" I choked out and he smirked, pressing his lips to mine.

                "Sadly enough," he repeated.

                "I heard you, but..." I paused, feeling too embarrassed to say anything else.

                "Yes, I meant it. Don't fake cheat on me again, I'll land myself in prison," he informed me.

                "Don't tempt me. May do it again just to get rid of you," I taunted. He looked a tiny bit hurt but said nothing as he ran his thumb down my cheek.

                "Now that's hurtful," he retorted. I linked my arms around his neck and smirked.

                "Might miss you a tad, though," I added.

                "Liar," he shot back. I kissed him again and ran my hands down his arms, pushing myself closer to him. Despite what was due to happen over the weekend, I plucked up my courage and the three words I knew he was waiting to hear. The same had happened with Daniel a mere fortnight before his death, I didn't want a repeat.

                "I love you too," I whispered. He stiffened and stared at me. I offered a nervous smile and then smacked his chest. "And if you die on Saturday, I will never forgive you," I told him. He looked at me seriously and twined his fingers with mine.

                "I'm not going anywhere, love."

A/N: The end is nigh! Which, for those who aren't a bit sci fi like, it means the end is near.... Not many chapters left! But hopefully you enjoyed this and stick with it till the end. Please drop me a vote and a comment, they make me a very happy bunny. 

Until next time, Wattpadians!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6M 642K 63
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
6.8K 139 11
I, author, have no crap about what I'm doing now! 😒😒😁, anyways- I have made another, in fact, USELESS story that can satisfy my needs, but I don...
285K 7.1K 102
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #1- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
31.5K 471 23
I love sweets! But, is that the only thing I love?