Expecting A Life (The Outside...

By unstoppable35

(Sequel to Change Your Life) After JT has finally learned who she should be, life is normal again. She's fina... More

Message! (:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 7

2.2K 62 48
By unstoppable35

Chapter 7

• 2 months later •

"JT! Get up! You have school today!"

I slowly crawl out of bed with a frown stuck on my face. I don't feel like getting up today. Well I never feel like it.

I search the room for Ponyboy. He's nowhere to be found. He started sleeping in my room awhile back. I'm glad too because I always felt alone. I guess it was just my hormones talking.

After I take a record time shower, I change and look in my mirror, turning to the side to see my growing baby bump. My once skinny appearance is now replaced by a baby...

"Screw you," I say, poking myself. "I love you and all, but screw you." I dramatically groan and shuffle into the kitchen.

"Morning!" Soda says happily.

"Morning," I mumble.

"Are you feeling okay today?" Pony asks.

"So far I'm alright. Maybe I'll survive."

"That's good." I nod in agreement.

Darry hastily places plates in front of everyone. He's rushing around like crazy.

"What's got you all worked up, Darry?" Soda asks.

"I'm gonna drop JT and Pony off at school today. So hurry up and eat," he answers. After we slam down our food and finish getting ready, everyone crams in the cab of the pickup. Darry drops us off at school, and Pony and I rush inside to avoid anyone talking about us.

"Dang it! I left my jacket!" I say.

"You can have mine," he offers.

"No it's okay. Forget it..."

"Why is it so important?"

"I don't want people to look at me like I'm a bad person, you know?" I ask.

"Then I don't either. Here." He slides his denim jacket off and allows me to put it on. It's oversized, but it covers me well.

We go through our classes together then head to lunch. I'm not so excited about what we're eating today. Ugh. I'd rather starve.

I excuse myself and go to the bathroom. In all honesty, I'm just going to wash my face. I feel so hot all of a sudden, and I feel nervous. I feel as if someone's watching. My mom always used to say if my ears were itching, someone was talking about me. Someone must be nonstop talking then.

Four girls walk in as I look in the mirror. Two of them I recognize as cheerleaders.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here? A greaser girl!" one with dark brown hair says.

"I ain't looking for trouble. So back off, alright?" I snap.

"Oh save it. We know your secret." My cheeks flush as butterflies erupt in my stomach.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, trying to stay cool.

"Don't try to hide it," a blonde says.

"You slept around until you got knocked up," the brunette says, taking back over her dominance against her friends.

"That's not true," I answer sternly.

"Oh yeah? Then explain why you're so fat. Tell us why you're acting all weird all the time. Please explain to me."

"Leave me alone!"

"I don't think that's going to happen! You're dirty trash. You don't belong here."

"In your 'sacred' presence or the bathroom? I'm not catching on," I answer. I can practically see the smoke coming out of her ears.

"You're so filthy! I wish I didn't have to see you everyday! You greasers are such a menace!" she says. "You might as well die now. No one likes a pregnant girl with nowhere to go. Nobody's going to help you. You're just a nobody, a low life, trash. People like you make me sick," she says, spitting out her last sentence.

I run past her and find my way down the empty hall to the front door of the school. I step out into the bright sunlight and begin walking and thinking.

She's right. No one's gonna help a pregnant kid with nothing to her name. And when I have this kid, I'm gonna have to support it somehow. Darry and Soda can't and shouldn't for sure. They've got enough to work for. Maybe I can get a job myself...

I go back home with the idea of where I can get a job in my mind. I dial the number Dally gave me of where he might be when he wasn't around. A deep voice I don't recognize answers. I ask for Dally. It takes awhile, but he finally answers.

"Hello?"

"Dally! I have a huge favor to ask!"

"Okay, shoot," he says.

"I need a job. You know of anything?"

"JT, ain't you supposed to be at school?"

"Yes, but I'll explain later. Answer me!"

"Yeah, alright. Buck said something about someone helping part time up at the stables."

"What's the pay?" I ask.

"Generous for good work."

"I have no other option..."

"I'll come pick you up in five minutes, alright? It's a long walk. I'll see you then, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks, Dal."

We hang up, and I await Dally's arrival. I'm honestly confused about what I'm doing. I'm basically dropping out of school. It seems like a random decision, but I've been bothered since I began to show. Rumors spread quickly in a small town. Besides, we need the money to support this baby. If I'm gonna have the kid, I'm gonna work to support him or her.

I hear Dally's car outside and run out the door. I hop in the front seat with him. He begins driving as we remain in the silence. He finally talks.

"So... Why ain't you in school?" he asks.

"Reasons..."

"You ain't telling me, huh?" I nod. "Alright then."

"I just... I really need this, okay? You wouldn't understand. I wish I could tell you and all, but it's really complicated." He nods slowly, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

"Texas ought to love seeing you again," he says, changing the subject.

"Yeah... What do you think about kids?" I ask, changing the subject again.

"I don't like little kids."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I just... I don't like 'em. They're always being a bother, and they ain't tough at all. They cry and scream."

"That's no excuse," I tell him.

"Oh yeah? Do you like little kids?"

"Sure! They're so cute and innocent. I wish they could always be that way. That's kinda why I'm excited to have my baby, you know?"

"No I don't know because for one I'm a guy," he says. I laugh.

"You're mean sometimes."

"Now tell me why you're not in school."

"I already said before. There's just reasons I can't go back."

"Can't, huh?" he asks. I sigh heavily and lean my head back against the seat.

"People have been finding out about me. It's embarrassing to walk in and have people talk about you. And besides, I gotta make a living for this kid too. It's a little more complicated than it sounds."

He nods slowly and doesn't talk again. He parks, and we get out.

"I'll tell you what. I'll talk to Buck about getting you a job. Stay here," he says as he steps inside a building. He comes back out a couple minutes later and starts showing me the simple things I'll do considering my circumstances.

After the day, Dally drops me off. I walk inside the front door, and the once laughter-filled room goes dead silent. Everyone's staring at me. Oh brother.

"Hey, JT. Where ya been?" Soda asks.

"I got a job for after school," I lie. Darry shoots me a questioning glance, but he looks away, somewhat convinced.

"Dinner's left on the stove," he says.

I nod and quickly eat. I take a shower before going to bed. Hopefully now they can't smell all the hay and dirt on me. I change and walk into my room. Ponyboy's already there, sitting up and reading with the lamp on.

"Hey, I wanna talk to you," he says as I pull the covers up to my chin. He looks down at me as he talks, occasionally touching my hair.

"About?"

"Where were you at school today? Someone said they couldn't find you in the bathroom like you said."

"I, uh... Look, I can't hide it, but don't tell anyone else. Just me and Dally know. You're about to know more than him though. These socs came in there and started going off. So I ran out and decided I needed to do something. So I went and got a job to support our kid. You need to stay in school. It's what you're good at. Don't you try to dropout. I'm fine with it, alright?" I explain.

"Where's your job at?"

"Down at the stables nearby."

"He ain't got you doing too much is he?"

"No. Wait. How'd you'd know it was just one guy running it?" I ask.

"Buck's the only one around."

"Oh."

"I won't tell Darry or Soda or anybody. Your secret's safe with me," he says, leaning down and kissing my forehead.

"Thanks, Pony."

"You ought to get some sleep. You look beat."

"I am. Night." He turns off the lamp and lies down beside me, wrapping his arm over me in case I was cold. He's got a habit for doing it now.

"Night."

•••

• 4 months later •

"Ponyboy, if this ever happens to me again, I'm gonna kill you," I tell him sternly. He doesn't exactly laugh for the fear of his own safety. I might actually kill him.

"Aw c'mon, JT. You don't look bad at all," Johnny insists.

"You mean as bad as I feel? Shoot, I want it out."

"No, you look pretty bad. We might as well stick a sign on ya that says 'wide-load'!" Two-Bit says. He laughs along with everyone else. I struggle to take my shoe off then throw it at him. He rubs his arm.

"Holy crap. Someone take my other shoe off because I can't," I complain. Lately, my feet have been really swollen. I've wanted to forget wearing shoes wherever I go. These hurt too bad.

"How are you feeling?" Soda asks.

"Exhausted. Carrying around this thing is hard work." They laugh.

I'll catch you up a little in these past few months. Everyone found out about me getting a job. I'm now doing one full time job where I can sit down more often. It's for a consignment shop in town. Everyone there is nice, and they're all in support of me since I told them my situation. It's good so far. Plus I've got plenty of money to last on baby supplies for a while. We'll sure need them.

But for now we're all sitting around and talking like the old times when we all weren't so busy. No one's brought out the beer, thank goodness. We're all pretty pumped about this baby though. Especially me. It's killing me.

"What are you hoping for?" Steve asks.

"I don't really care," I answer. "Babies are precious regardless."

"A nephew would be fun," Darry comments quietly.

"Well I don't choose." Everyone laughs. "Maybe Pony could have a daddy's girl."

"Oh boy..." he says. I smile at him. "Or you could have your little momma's boy like you always wanted."

"I think I've changed my mind," I reply.

"What are you gonna name it?" Dally asks. I've never given it enough thought. I'm seven months pregnant. By now we should've picked names...

"We ain't decided yet," Ponyboy says.

"I'm guessing we'll figure it out when the time comes," I add. He shrugs. Good enough answer I guess.

"Hey, I think the baby's kicking."

"You can feel that?" Steve asks.

"Yeah!" I put my hand on my stomach. Sure enough, I feel a kick and smile. I grab Ponyboy's hand and place it in the same spot I had mine. His face lights up in amazement as he slowly pulls away.

"Wow," he says quietly.

"I wanna feel," Soda says happily.

"Come here then."

"I'm gonna step outside for a second," Pony tells me quietly. I nod as he steps out the door. Johnny follows him, and I'm guessing just to check on him. I wonder what's on that boy's mind...

•••

Ponyboy's POV

The door slams behind me as I sit on the porch steps. I glance out at the nighttime sky filled with stars. Johnny sits beside me. He sighs heavily.

"What's on your mind, Pony?" he asks softly. I look down at my worn shoes.

"Before you know it, I'm gonna be a dad. A dad, Johnny. I'm only sixteen. I don't know what I'm doing."

"Neither does she."

"Still... I'm scared. I'll admit it."

"Well," he starts, "at least you got someone who's gonna help you, you dig? I mean, she ain't gotta clue either, but that don't mean you should quit now. JT's a real nice girl. She trusts you and us, and we're gonna take care of her. And I know you're gonna be the best dad you can be. You'll be fine, Pony. We always are."

"Johnny Cade, I don't think I've ever heard you talk so much like this before," I tell him with a smile. He smiles and looks away embarrassed.

"Shoot, Pony. You let me talk too much then."

"It's alright. You're right. Thanks."

"Anytime."

• 2 months later •

Today's normal like any other day. I say goodbye to Ponyboy before he goes to school. Dally picks me up and takes me to work. I sit here bored out of my mind and daydreaming. Today though, I've been feeling a lot of discomfort. My co-workers notice too. One of them, Carol, asks me if I'm okay. I nod and brush it off and all.

"You know, maybe I should take you to the hospital," she insists. She's older than me, but it's not by much. She's always concerned about others which is good on the others behalf. Sometimes it's a struggle to her, but she's always smiling. She's always brightening my days somehow.

"No. I'm fine. Just a little pain, that's all."

"Well, if it gets in a pattern, I'm taking you."

"If you're going, we're all going!" Ms. Hazel says. Everyone in town calls her that. I don't even know her real name, but she's a sweet and sassy older lady. I'm pretty sure she's in her late forties, but I love her to death.

"Fine with me!" Carol replies happily. They begin joking while this sudden pain rips through me.

"Get the keys and drive me to the hospital," I say sternly, gripping onto the counter. Everyone begins rushing. Ms. Hazel closes up the shop as Carol helps me to the car. Soon we're speeding to the hospital. I ask Ms. Hazel to drive to the DX and tell Soda to pick up Ponyboy and bring him there. Now it's just me and Carol as she holds my hand.

They take my name and all that junk. I'm placed in a wheelchair while they quickly clear out a room.

"Are you feeling alright?" she asks.

"Not really. Can you tie my hair up?" She nervously nods and with shaky hands, successfully ties my hair in a crooked, messed up ponytail.

"I'm sorry. I'm not so gifted with hair."

I laugh. "Oh it's fine. As long as I can see."

I see Ms. Hazel out of the corner of my eye with people following her. Someone grabs my hand.

"JT, I'm here, baby," Ponyboy says.

"Oh my gosh. I thought you'd never get here," I answer.

"We'll be waiting out here for you, okay?" Soda says.

"Thanks." He nods and walks back over to Steve. Darry runs in as someone asks who's responsible for me.

"That'd be me," he answers. The doctor explains things to him as someone else wheels me into the room. Pony stays by my side. They help me change into a hospital gown then help me onto the bed.

I curse under my breath at the level of pain I'm feeling. The doctor comes in and explains contractions and all that bull crap. It's all a blur to me really. I squeeze Ponyboy's hand.

"Alright, Ms. Thompson. Lets have ourselves a baby."

After tremendous amounts of coaching and talking through, I hear a baby cry. I lean back into my pillow and smile. Ponyboy kisses my forehead.

"It's a girl!" the nurse says. They take her out of the room for a moment to clean her off. They bring her back half an hour later wrapped in a snow white blanket with one pink stripe embroidering it. They place my tiny baby in my arms.

"My girls," Pony whispers in awe. She grabs my finger with her hand.

"Hi there, sweetie. I'm your mommy," I say gently.

"And I'm your daddy."

"Pony, what should we name her?"

"I wanna do something like my dad did. Something original."

I stare at her. What's a good name for a perfect little girl? She looks still and fragile. What could it be...?

"Babydoll. Babydoll Marie," I say.

"Perfect," he says with a smile. A nurse walks in.

"Are you okay for any visitors?" she asks. I nod. All six boys come in.

"Hey guys! C'mon in! Don't be shy. She doesn't bite," I say.

"She? I've got a niece now?" Soda asks.

"We sure do, and we're gonna be the best uncles," Darry tells him.

"Man, she looks so tiny," Dally says.

"Because she is. She only weighs about four pounds," the nurse says. She then leaves the room as she takes the wheelchair out.

"Wow... What's her name?" Johnny asks.

"Babydoll," Ponyboy says.

"She sure looks like one," Two-Bit mumbles.

"She does, doesn't she?" I ask. "Hey, where'd Carol and Ms. Hazel go?"

"They went back to the shop. Said they had something to do," Steve answers. I shrug.

"Pony, do you wanna hold her?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"I don't wanna break her."

"You won't. Trust me." He gently takes her in his arms. He looks at her like he's about to cry.

"My baby girl... This is so weird..."

"You're telling me," Darry says.

"Hey, Baby," I tell her quietly. She opens her eyes a little. They're a bright green, and the red tint of her lips are already showing. Her dark hair is wild. She's perfect.

She blinks slowly. "This is about to be the biggest adventure of my life," I say quietly. I sigh heavily and smile. "Get ready, Baby. It's a rough world."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 160 14
This is the life of Steve Randle after his best friend dies and his girlfriend mysteriously disappears. What happens to the rest of the gang? Will th...
2.5K 50 10
Everyone thinks the Socs are perfect. Are they though? Not for Bob's little sister, Willow, but everything changes when she meets a greaser at the m...
1.8K 97 22
" Stupidity" 𝙔/𝙉 𝙍𝙚𝙚𝙙 a 16 year old girl who faces many challenges of her own such as her manipulative parents, shes known at her school for he...
32.2K 468 25
Chelsie a 15 year old girl best friends with Alec Winston Dallas's brother. Gets brought into the gang, but what happens when she lands her eyes on D...