Hiding My Heart

By J_abbis

Deidre -Dee- Johson has had a rough life. A mother who is a drunk, a father who ditched out on her and her br... More

Hiding My Heart
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epliogue
Bonus - We Owned the Night
Authors Note on Sequel

Chapter 43

19.2K 466 52
By J_abbis

I lay in my room cuddled up to Preston hours after he had claimed me. After a heavy make out session I finally realized I was in my bra and he was shirtless. I was a little embarrassed at my behavior from before but he reassured me that he would have stopped me if I tried anything. He felt that my wolf wanted more but he knew I wasn't ready for something like that. Which was why he distracted my wolf before he had claimed me.  

After we both calmed down and got ourselves presentable once more we lay on my bed and talked. He told me what had happened at school and I was embarrassed of my actions and glad that I didn't remember it. Then he talked about the claim and what it meant for us now. 

Not only have we finally become one but know he can help me and my wolf. When a werewolf first shifts they have these blackouts too for the first year. They don't remember what they did after the shift; it's kind of like the Hulk. Our bodies surrender to the wolf in us, the wolf takes over and we aren't responsible for our actions. Which is why they have training every day for the new shifters. You have to control your wolf; you have to take over after you shift. It takes a while to finally get control but when you do it won't be like before. You will remember everything and have control of the wolf body.  

I was worried though since my wolf has been dormant for the past eighteen years. She won't let me take control for a long while, I could feel it. And since they don't want my shifting for a long time, since there still is the possibility that I could die, I have plenty of time to take control of her. 

"Preston?" I whisper into the darkness.  

After we had a long talk and cuddled for the longest time he had to go back to his house. I didn't want him to at first, just the thought of being away from him for a second made my heart hurt. Now that we had claimed each other my feelings for him grew ten times more. I needed him to be by me all the time. He reassured me that it was only to get some clothes for tomorrow and he didn't want to be here when Brayden and my mom got home. 

He had to wait two hours before he could sneak back into my room. Those two hours were torture to me; I needed to be by him. After a long and tense dinner, tense because my mom was eating with us now and Brayden was confused and didn't like it, I said my goodnights and went back to my room where I waited for Preston. Thank goodness he came back just as my brother said a goodnight to me.  

"Yeah?" He whispers back. 

I move so my head is resting on his shoulder, my body warming up at the contact.  

"What were you talking about earlier; you know when you claimed me? You said something about the bond not sealing until something. What did you mean by that? You didn't exactly explain." I mumble into his chest.  

He was finally lying under the covers, and took his shirt off. Something that he never done before this. 

He chuckles quietly under his breath. "I didn't explain because I was too into the moment." He whispers, his breath blowing across my hair making me shiver and curl into him more.  

"But what I meant is there is a short period of time, a week at most where the bond can be broken. Just in case something happens to the other mate and another needs to replace the bond. But if nothing happens then the bond is sealed forever." 

I scrunch my eyebrows at this. "That makes no sense." I mumble.  

He sighs. "It's hard to explain. Rejection happens between mates, not often but it does happen. Sometimes the mates form a bond but then change their minds; they only get a week to decide if it's what they want. And if they decide that they don't want each other than they can leave the bond without them hurting each other. If they had waited until the bond is sealed and they left each other it would have killed both of them instantly." 

I gasp into the darkness. "Why would anyone make a bond but then break it?" I whisper softly. 

"I don't know, it depends on the circumstances. Let's say that you met your mate and you instantly claim them but you really don't know them. But the day after you find out that they are a rogue, a killer, or already have a family with kids, you have the right to reject them. This is why mates aren't allowed to claim each other until their sixteen. This gives you two years to know your mate, to become a part of their lives and understand them. The waiting period is only there to protect them. Most people don't reject each other though. It's only a few here and there." He explains. 

"But that's not going to happen to us." I whisper back. 

He tightens his hold on me and kisses the top of my head. "Never, you're stuck with me now." He says making me laugh quietly. 

"I'm sorry for what I did today," I whispered. "I wouldn't ever cuss at someone like that." 

I feel him shake his head. "It wasn't you Dee; I understood what I was getting myself into and knew that I should have been there sooner to help you and your wolf." 

"It will get better right? I won't lose control like that again?" 

He shrugs. "I don't know, I would like to think that my bite will help you but I don't know for sure just yet. I guess we will figure it out as we go." 

"Do you think I will die when I transform?" I ask suddenly. 

It's been playing at my mind ever since I have become one with my wolf. I remember him saying that I didn't have a good rate of survival when I do transform. But even taking the protein drinks that Dr. Manor has been giving me doesn't seem like enough. I still worry that I may snap and transform too early, killing me in seconds. Even though I told him and everyone else not to worry about it I can't help but too. In a year or less I would know my answer and it scared the hell out of me. 

He's quiet for a moment; the only sound is our breathing. His arms wrap around me firmly, protectively. 

"Nothing is going to happen to you Dee. You will make the transformation, I know you will." He breaths out making me bite my lip hard. 

"And what about tomorrow? Or the next day, we don't know when my father-" 

"Shh, Dee," One of his hands runs through my hair, soothing me. "Your right, we don't know what your father has planned, but I can guarantee you that he will not get to you, you will not leave my sight. He can wait around forever or attack us. If it the later than he will be dead before he can see you." He growls lowly making me bite my lip harder. 

"But-" 

"No, no buts. No worrying about the future, just live with me in the now." He whispers in my ear making me shiver and my wolf howl with pleasure. 

"I love you." I Say quietly. 

I can feel his smile; feel his joy just at the one comment. His heart beating in time with my own. It makes me smile too. 

"I love you too Dee, so much." He whispers back. "Now, come on go to sleep we have a long day ahead of us tomorrow."  

I groan when I realize it's my birthday. A full day of training and being stuck at his house because he knows it's secure and safe for me to be there. I wasn't allowed to go out to town until that night where my birthday dinner was being held. I wasn't looking forward to it. 

....................................................................................................................................................................................... 

Waking up the next morning to an empty bed made me panic for a moment, my wolf wanting to jump up and go find her mate but I reeled her back and forced her put. Stretching my arms above my head I smile and get up. I felt so rested, so much better than yesterday, but I have a feeling if I don't see or hear from Preston in about an hour or more it won't feel as nice. I will be panicky and need him near me. 

Going about my business I grab some clothes and leave for the bathroom, hearing either mom or Brayden in the kitchen cooking something. Hopping into the shower I hum quietly as I wash up. Even though today was doom day I couldn't find myself to be depressed about it. Maybe it was because Preston claimed me, or because I'm finally connected to my wolf, it was rocky but we were still connected. No matter what it was I felt great. 

Once I'm all shaved and cleaned I get out of the shower and towel dry off. Changing into my clean clothes I brush my wet hair and leave the room. Still humming I place my dirty clothes in my already full hamper and leave the room. Since I have come one with my wolf I don't need my glasses or contacts anymore, my sense of smell was amazing too. I have smelt things that I never have before, and my skin was a little sensitive too, just drying off with the towel caused my skin to get irritated. 

When I reach the kitchen I'm surprised to see my mom cooking, French toast with scrambled eggs and bacon. I must have made a noise because she whirls around, the spatula in her hand about to flip the French toast over. 

"Oh, good morning Deidre," She says with a soft smile on her face. 

I don't say anything, too shocked to talk. I just stare at her with a half apron on, her hair pulled back into a messy bun her hands a little stained from cooking the eggs and bacon and French toast. We could have been twins; she looked so much like me. She looked like the old her too and that brought a smile to my face. 

"Happy birthday, I made your favorite. French toast always was your favorite, you like it don't you?" She asks worriedly, taking my silence as a bad sign. 

"I love it, thank you." I say making my way to her and hugging her just as a crash came from behind me. 

Turning I see Brayden hurrying to button up his shirt, his hair messy and jeans a little wrinkly. It looked like he just woke up a minute ago, and he looked panicked. 

"I am so sorry Dee, my alarm clock didn't go off and it smells like you've already cooked your own-" He stops rambling when he sees me standing with mom by the stove, she had turned real quick to flip the toast over. He just stares at her like I had just a minute ago. 

"Mom cooked breakfast." I point out after a minute of silence. 

Brayden is still wary of our mother. He's been tense ever since she started eating with us at dinner. She has tried to talk to him but he mostly ignores her or answers her with one word. She knew that it was going to be hard at first but she didn't realize just how hard it would be. We had started talking at dinner since Brayden wouldn't answer her and he didn't understand why. 

After the first night of having her at the dinner table with us he immediately questioned me after we had said goodnight to her. I tried to tell him about her changes and swearing off alcohol but he wouldn't believe me. Only said it was a onetime thing, but what he didn't count on was the bars not calling all week and her return at the dinner table every night. I knew that they had to have a talk soon and maybe I can help with that today.  

For some reason I feel like they don't have a whole lot of time to talk things through, that time was running out. It was technically for me since I didn't know when my father planned to attack. But I felt that if something did happen to me the small connection that she and Brayden have will vanish and she will truly be on her own. I wanted to help her set things straight. 

"Oh," Was all he said finishing up buttoning up his shirt and sitting at the table where our mom had already set it for three people. 

I sit across from him just as mom finishes up the last piece of toast and places them on the table along with the eggs and bacon. I smile at her as she sits at the head of the table, Brayden and I on either side of her. 

"Thank you mom, this means a lot to me." I say sincerely. And it does, it reminds me of the old days before Joey left. She would always make our favorite breakfast food on our birthdays, she was a wonderful cook.  

"You're welcome Dee, it felt weird cooking again." She says quietly deep in thought. 

"Well I'm sure it will taste great, just like the old days." I say without thinking and I see Brayden wince making me regret my words. 

I clear my throat and start piling food on my plate, taking a bite of the bacon and smiling. It was perfect. 

"Dig in Brayden." I say pouring syrup on my French toast. 

He's hesitant at first before grabbing a little bit of everything. "It actually feels good not having to wake up so early to cook for you." He teases me relaxing after he takes his first bite. 

I can see it in his eyes that he too notices that it's just as good as before, though he wouldn't admit it. 

I smile at him and nod. "What are you doing today Brayden?" mom asks quietly looking at him with a soft expression. She has some bags under her eyes from restless sleep the night before.  

I watch him tense a little at first before relaxing once more. "Work," Is all he says and I sigh feeling my mood drop slightly.  

Seeing my sad expression, pain crosses over his face as he looks between me and my mom. Her head is bowed after his answer, knowing that that is all she is going to get out of him. 

"I want to know what the hell is going on here." He finally says dropping his fork. 

"Brayden!" I gasp as he narrows his eyes at me and my mom. "No, I need to know what the hell happened that made her change. Why she changed and swore off alcohol. I have ignored the situation all week thinking that she will go back to locking herself in her room with a bottle of vodka." He says hard. "After you left something happened, something changed and all the sudden she's going back to being mom. Your talking to her like the past ten years never happened." He accused. 

I sigh and gently place my fork on my plate. Well I wanted to fix things right? I just didn't think it would start off like this. 

"Your right, she has changed after I came back. In fact the reason I left was because of her. She wanted to talk to me and I wasn't ready to hear her out." I say telling the half truth, I did want to leave because I wasn't ready to talk to her. "I really thought things through Brayden while I was away. I don't expect you to understand my decision but she needs us right now. I promised her I would help her get better. She wants to move on from Joey and the past but she can't do it herself. She needs help Brayden and I'm not going to abandon her and make her do it by herself. You know I can't." I say softly. 

"When I came back I sat down with her and we had a long talk. I was skeptical of her change too but you weren't there when she grabbed all of the bottles of alcohol and helped me flush them down the toilet. You weren't there to see how bad she wanted to change. She wants to be here for us Brayden." 

He shakes his head in disbelief. "You can't be serious, why should I believe that-" 

"Because I'm your sister, because you love her just as much as I do but you don't want to believe that. Because even as you deny sticking around here it isn't just for me but it's for mom. You're just as afraid as I am to leave her alone. You want to help her just as much as I do. But you're too prideful and scared to let her get close again." I say hard. I knew I was right about everything I just said; as much as he denies it I know I'm right. 

He doesn't say anything for a few minutes, my mom folding her napkin nervously. 

"I know how much I hurt you Brayden. I was-" She cuts off clearing her throat as she looks at my brother, he tenses up as she talks to him. "...I was hurt and not strong like I thought I was. For years I had told you and your siblings that I was going to get us away from him. Only to have him leave us, making us free and I let you down. I let every one of you down; I was a shell after he left, empty. I wasn't the strong person you thought I was. I'm sick of myself for how I neglected you and your sisters." Tears formed in her eyes as Brayden finally looked at her. 

I held my breath and looked between the two.  

"I'm not proud for the drinking and how I treated you over the past ten years. I put so much pressure on you and Natalie to raise not only yourselves but your sister too. And these past few months... I've come to feel again. I saw the damage I had caused when you were having that snowball fight. I saw how much you've grown and your sister... and her husband. How could I have missed that? How could I have allowed myself to miss all the important events that happened to you all? You and Natalie have done an amazing job providing for yourself." She bites her quivering lip. 

"I am so sorry Brayden. I am so sorry for the pain I had caused you, for the pressure I put on you. I wasn't the mother I should have been and I know I don't deserve the right to have your forgiveness and start over again. Because I know that I have a long road ahead of me to gain your trust back if you allow it. I made mistakes and I want them to be fixed." 

I hold my breath as she finishes talking. Brayden just looks at her looking torn between his decision. 

"Why now?" He finally whispers.  

She looks down with regret. "Because I need to start living again. I don't know what the future hold and I don't want to live with regret."  

Brayden shakes his head and stands up from the table. "I need to think." He mumbles before leaving the room. 

She sighs and rubs her temples. "I am sorry Dee I didn't want your birthday to be like this." She says regretfully. 

I shake my head and stand up, hugging her to me. "It's ok, I'm glad you talked. Just give him his space for a while, he'll come around, I know he will." I promise. "Now, I should be going, I'm going over to a friend's today. But I'm having a dinner party later tonight, your welcomed to come; I would love to see you there." I say. 

She looks surprised at this. "Really?" She asks and I nod.  

"Yeah, Brayden will be there and so will my friends but I want you there." 

She hesitates for a moment before nodding softly. "Ok, ok I'll go." She whispers making me smile even more. 

Writing down the time and place I give it to her and tell her to wear something nice. With a hug and a soft goodbye I grab my bag and walk out, almost bumping into Brayden. 

"Whoa, sorry-" I go to say but he interrupts me. 

"You're inviting her to dinner?" He asks bored. 

I bite my lip and nod. "Look I'm-" 

"I'm so confused right now Dee. How is that you can forgive her so easily? I always knew you loved her, but to forgive her? How did you do it?" He whispers. 

I look away out into the trees. The green trees swayed in the soft breeze. "It was easy really. After she finally opened up... I just understood her. I know you love her Brayden, just like Natalie does. And I know that it's going to take you two much longer to forgive her and I hope and pray that you will. She made mistakes and she's trying to make up for them." 

He doesn't say anything. "But what if I don't want to forgive her?" He whispers. 

"That's not like you Brayden. I know you and I know how forgiving you can be. Give her a chance, you never know how much time you have with her and you don't want to regret not giving her a chance to show you how much she has changed. Because I know that if something did happen to either you or her you will regret not giving her that second chance."  

He looks over at me and smiles softly. "Since when have you been so wise?" He teases his mood lifting. 

I grin at him. "Since today," I reply back and then grabbing his arm. "Now come on, you have work to get to and I have plans with Sasha today." 

He groans at this. "Please tell me she isn't coming tonight."  

I smile and hop into the car. "Of course she is." 

That only makes him groan again. 

....................................................................................................................................................................................... 

"Are you sure I should be doing this?" I huff out as I take Sasha down onto the mat once more.  

We were wrestling in our human forms for the past hour. When I had arrived I seriously wouldn't leave Preston's side for the first hour when I arrived at his house, the place bustling with people cleaning and decorating and getting ready for the High Council to come. 

I was nervous when his mother saw my mark. Preston said his father knew he was going to mark me but not his mom. She was... surprised to say the least, even though she was happy for me I knew I was going to have a serious talk with her later. Which I was right, she took me to the small library that the house had held and gave me 'the talk'. Of which she repeated how the claiming process was supposed to go, after the wedding, which I didn't do. Even though she wished we would have waited I explained things to her and she finally understood why we couldn't wait like she wanted us too.  

The rest of the pack was happy for us, and I got to know more people that way too. But others weren't as supportive I guess you could say, like Elizabeth and her family. They glared at me for the most part and I didn't understand until Preston told me what the High Council was planning on doing. My wolf wasn't so happy about that and only made her want to stick around Preston all day. 

But he finally dragged me to train, which wasn't as bad at first because I was focused on my training and how things were before. But after Sasha was instructed to use her full werewolf strength and came at me I took her down. My wolf seeing the attack and came out to play, I barely had time to pull her back before she could cause damage to Sasha. I didn't even think that I could tap into my werewolf strength but the protein drinks I had been taking were to help me gain that strength. It wasn't as powerful if I was in my wolf form but it was still semi powerful. 

After having another learning session from Preston and Scott about balancing my strength and how to pull back and control my wolf when I am attacked we were finally able to start up once more. They did decide that I shouldn't train with any of them in wolf form just yet because my wolf wasn't ready for it and my feel the urge to transform we stuck with the weapons and wrestling. But I could tell my wolf was bored of just fake attacking. 

"It's alright Dee, I promise. But we should take a break, lunch should be ready soon." Scott says from the doorway. He had left thirty minutes ago to go talk to Robin.  

I nod and follow him and everyone else into the kitchen where Jamie finishes up the last of the sandwiches.  

"I forgot to wish you a happy birthday Dee." She says when she sees me she smiles sheepishly. 

I chuckle and shrug. "Thanks, and I don't mind you were pretty distracted." I trail off making her laugh. 

"Honey I think the whole pack was surprised and distracted from their duties once they saw you and my son all marked up. Especially with that evil plan the High council was trying to set up." 

I grimace at the reminder of that plan. Hopefully the High council doesn't make Preston reject me. I know for a fact he's going to put up a fight with them, even if it means losing his spot as Alpha and a future member as one of the High councils. 

"Don't remind me." I mumble grabbing on of the subs and putting it on a paper plate along with a small bag of chips. Grabbing one of the bottled waters I follow Preston back outside where some picnic tables were set up for the festivities that were going to be happening in a few days. 

"It looks like its going to rain later tonight." I comment looking up at the sky, dark brooding clouds hovered just a few miles away. With the wind picking up the small town should be covered up by those clouds in about an hour or two. 

"Weatherman said not until around six or five but then again you can't really trust them." Preston says sitting next to, he moves my legs so they are draped over his lap, one hand resting on them and the other taking his sandwich and eating it. 

"I really hope the rain holds out until after your birthday dinner." Sasha says with a huff. 

"Oh that reminds me, I invited my mom." I blurt out. I continue eating as if I didn't just drop a bomb on them but from the looks and gasps I knew they had heard and they minded. I sigh and finish swallowing my food before continuing on. "We are starting over and I want her there so please be civil towards her." 

"Dee, I have known you for two years now and I don't know anything about your mom. Well I knew some things that you told me and from what she said whenever I saw her. But that point is we don't really know your mom. And the things we do know we don't like." Sasha points out Scott nodding with her. 

"It's going to be hard trying to be civil to someone when all you can think about is that person neglecting her child for ten years." Scott says making me tense up. 

Preston rubs my legs, distracting me from my irritation just for a moment.  

"Well I don't care; I let it go so you should too." I snap at them snatching my water bottle up and taking a long needed drink from it. It helped my hot temperature cool off, that and Preston was still rubbing my leg making me focus on the hot fire his fingers were making. 

They don't say anything after that and it made me feel guilty. "Are the rest of the boys and their mates coming? I haven't seen them in a while..." I trail off realizing that it was true. 

The others seemed to disappear right after the holidays and then everything else just blew up at me. I didn't even notice their disappearance. Everyone shares a look before Preston finally answers. 

"Vanessa is pregnant." He whispers making me gasp. 

"What! But why- where is she?" I question. 

Sasha and everyone else laugh at my reaction before explaining. "It happened about a week ago, you were kind of too busy with things." 

"But I would have congratulated her or something, I feel bad that I wasn't-" 

"It's fine, I explained to her when she told me, I wasn't even supposed to know. It kind of slipped out then she worried because she wanted to tell everyone at once, even you. But I explained that you were pretty preoccupied with other things." 

"But that doesn't explain where they are and the others." I point out opening my bag of chips. 

"Mike and Vanessa went on a mini vacation. Most couples who are pregnant with their first child go to this resort we rent out up in Reno Nevada for three weeks. It's kind of a little babymoon for the couple; enjoy each other before a screaming baby comes into this world." Scott says. 

"The others have been off doing their own thing. They may be some of my closest friends but that doesn't mean we have to be with each other twenty four seven." Preston adds in. 

I snort at this and roll my eyes. "Oh please, they had to have been a time when it was like that."  

He grins over at me and quirks one of his eyebrows. "And what makes you say that?" He asks. 

I shrug and grin as Sasha answers. "Oh they were, all throughout kindergarten until high school. They ruled the school, had sleep overs, they had to be by each other at all times. I mean at times I would hear Scott on the phone with one of them halfway through the night." She teases making me laugh as Scott and Preston blush slightly. 

"And they say girls are bad." I tease back making Preston groan. 

"Not funny." He says making me laugh once more. 

"It is." I point out. "What now? Please say I get a break, I am the birthday girl after all." I pout. 

"Well..." Preston says, "It is nap time..." He says grinning over at me. 

I laugh and shake my head, my muscles were sore. "I could use a nap." I say making Scott and Sasha groan. 

"Oh please, nap time is what you're calling it now." Scott teases us making me roll my eyes at him. 

"Shut it." I say getting up from the table and getting my trash. "I actually wanted to visit with Gavin and Robin for a little bit, and then I can do some relaxing time."  

"I'll come with." Scott jumps up from the table looking excited. 

"Didn't you just come from there?" I tease making him snort. 

"Shut it." He mimics his voice going high and girly. 

I laugh and wrap my free arm around his. "Oh Scottie, how I do adore your sarcasm," I laugh. 

"Thirty minutes Dee, then I expect you to meet me in my room." Preston calls out making me and Sasha laugh at his clear possessive warning. 

"See you then sugar lips." I tease back just as I enter the house. 

"Sugar lips?" Scott asks making me laugh all over again. 

"It was either that or honey boo." I say seriously making him laugh hard. 

After throwing away our stuff we head down to the cells where Grant is still guarding the door. 

"You seriously don't need to guard this door you know that right?" I say as we walk by. 

He snorts. "I know, but orders are orders." He points out. 

I just smile at him and open the next door that leads us to the little jail house they have. Seriously they better not do anything that gets the police involved searching their house. If the police did search the house and came to this jail house they would think some freaky stuff. 

"Dee?" Gavin asks sniffing the air and looking confused. 

I smile, "Hey," I say sitting in between to cells. Preston had allowed Robin to switch cells to the one across from her brother. 

"What is that smell?" Robin asks sniffing the air. 

I look down and sigh. "My wolf," I then use the thirty minutes just explaining that my wolf and I were finally one. I actually went over two minutes of my thirty minutes making Preston come and get me. But I didn't mind since I actually missed being beside him. So without complaint I thank the two siblings for the birthday wishes and promises of me bringing them cake later. I go with Preston to his room where we were supposed to nap, but in all reality we held each other and kissed each other.  

........................................................................................................................................................................................ 

The loud boom that crashed outside the house causes me to jump and almost burn myself on the curling iron. I look out the window nervously as the dark clouds roll in, dark and threatening. The wind has been howling outside for hours. After Preston and I finally took a little nap I was awoken by the booming of thunder and Sasha's yells to get up. 

Turns out we had slept for three hours, leaving us an hour to get ready for my birthday dinner. I had brought of my dress and some clothes for after the dinner party since I'm staying here with Preston. Sasha shooed Preston out of his own room, making him take the clothes he was going to wear tonight and demanded I shower. After showering and getting all clean she sat me down and started working on my hair, blow drying it and getting the curling iron ready. 

"It looks bad out there." I comment looking out the window once more.  

The sun wasn't even peeking through the dark clouds outside, not that I expected them too since it was sunset time. But seeing the dark clouds in the very fading light was intimidating and scary. I always hated storms and seeing those clouds right now and the hearing the howling of the wind made my heart beat just a little faster.  

"Yeah it does, hopefully it doesn't rain until after we get into the restaurant. If it does before then your hair will be screwed and there is nothing I can do for you." She says. 

I roll my eyes and look over at her through the mirror. She was already dressed when she woke Preston and I up. She wore a dark emerald green dress that stopped at her knees and had a sweetheart neckline and strapless. She looked gorgeous, the dark green dress brought out the green in her Smokey covered eyes. She wore black high heels and her hair was curled too, but parts were pinned back.  

"Do you think anything will happen tonight?" I whisper. "Nothing has happened all day and-" 

"No I don't think anything is going to happen. Preston put the whole town on lock down, even if the humans don't know it. But nobody goes in and nobody goes out. Even Katy has been on lock down, we know all her moves and we know that she hasn't been to see Jared. It's only a matter of time when we find him." 

"So you don't think that the rogues are planning an attack tonight?" I ask as she grabs the last strand of hair and curls it. 

"If they try we will be ready. While you and Preston slept the guards from the other pack had arrived and been placed in the spare rooms. They're out there running patrol with the rest of our pack." She says stepping back and unplugging the curling iron. "Now go get dressed and try not to mess up your hair." She instructs making me smile at her.  

Getting up I go to the bed where she laid the dress. Grabbing it I change out of my clothes and into the dress. It slid on perfectly and hugged my figure just as before. Sasha handed me a pair of high heels making me roll my eyes but not argue with her. 

"Oh, and strap this to your thigh." She says throwing a black strap thing. 

"What the hell is this thing?" I ask looking at the Velcro round strap. 

"It goes up your thigh and holds the gun and knife that you are taking tonight." She explains as if it's no big deal. 

"Since when am I taking those things?" I ask. "And I think I need help with this, I don't understand-" 

"It goes on like this," She says hiking up her dress and showing me a little too much leg. But on her leg right thigh is the same black strap she had given me that held a gun in it. 

Slipping it up my right leg I do as she instructs and get it to stick tight to my thigh. She handed over and gun that she explained was on safety and fully loaded with wolf bane bullets and a pure silver dagger. Putting my dress back down I straighten it out and walk around getting used to the feel of the weapons between my thighs, yes it was extremely awkward at first. I didn't understand how girls in movies did this. 

"I know it feels weird at first but in a couple of minutes you will forget all about it." Sasha says before patting the chair I was in before. "Makeup time," 

"Please don't coat it on; I do love my natural beauty you know." I say as she started dabbing lip gloss on my lips. 

"Oh please, this is clear lip gloss and I was only going to do a natural color for your eye shadow. And since you are so afraid of me poking your eyes out you can do your eyeliner and mascara." She says finishing up with the lip gloss and moving to the eye shadow. I close my eyes and let her do her thing once she gives me the ok I do my own eye liner and mascara glad to see that the eye shadow just highlights my eyes. 

Grabbing my bag that I had packed for tonight I shift through until I come up with the metal box. Sasha inhales sharply at the sight of it. 

"He gave you the Luna Stone?" She whispers. 

I smile and open it up with the small ancient key. It springs open and there it lies.  

"I brought it just in case and to wear when the High council comes. But I feel that its right to wear it tonight." I whisper back gently lifting the thin chain. "Help me?" I ask. 

She doesn't hesitate as she gently takes it from me and unclasps it, when its recaps and lying on my skin I smile. 

"It's beautiful." Sasha says making me nod.  

"It is," 

Before Sasha could put hair spray in my hair Preston comes in through the door holding something small in his hands. When he sees the necklace he stops, the smile on his face widening. 

"You look beautiful." Preston says quietly as Sasha gathers up her things and sends me a wink before walking out of the room closing the door behind her. 

I stand up on shaky legs. "Thank you, you look pretty dashing yourself." I say. 

Preston was wearing dress pants with a dark red button down shirt, it matched perfectly with my dress.  

He just stands a little ways from me watching me. I clear my throat nervously and look at what he has in his hands, a small gift wrapped in his hands. I raise an eyebrow at this, seeing my gaze he walks towards me. 

"I got you something to wear tonight." He says but instead of giving it to me he reaches his free hand and traces the Luna Stone with his fingers. My pulse raced as his fingers brushed my exposed collar bone, until resting on his mark. 

I inhale at his touch and lean into it even more. I don't say anything as he moves his hand back up and cups my cheek. 

"Happy Birthday Dee," He whispers before kissing me gently.  

I close my eyes and feel my arms wrap around his neck, drawing myself closer to him. He gently pulls away after a few moments, his free hand going down and resting on my hip. He held his other hand up that held the small present. 

I smile and unhook my hands from around his neck and grab the small present. Opening the paper I carelessly toss it aside as I look down at the small velvet box. I look back up at him and he nods for me to continue. Without taking my eyes off of his I feel my fingers lift the lid. Only then when it was open I take a glance down and feel a wide smile fit across my face as I saw the thin dark blue diamond bracelet that was in there. It matched perfectly with my Luna Stone. 

"It was hard trying to match the stones, but I think the jeweler did an amazing job." He says softly. 

I smile and look up at him, cupping his cheek softly in my hand. 

"It's perfect, thank you, you really didn't have to do this." I say but he just shakes his head. 

"I wanted too and my mom told me that I couldn't get you a wallet." He teases making me laugh. 

"Oh shush, you love that wallet." I tease right back before taking the bracelet out of the box. "Help me will ya?" I ask. 

He gently takes the bracelet from me and wraps it around my left wrist; clasping it together he gently lifts my hand up and kisses it. 

I admire the bracelet for another second before kissing him once more. "I really do love it." I say pulling back. 

"I'm glad; I wanted you to open my present first tonight. I know that if I had waited it wouldn't have been as... special." He says. 

I smile. "Of course it would have, but I'm happy that you decided to give it to me early." I say grabbing his hand. "Now, let's go the others are probably waiting and it looks like it's about to rain." 

He nods and leads me out of his room closing the door behind him. Saying no more we hurry to his car where Sasha and Scott were already waiting. We talked and laughed as we drove into town and to the restaurant. As much as I would like to think that everything was good there was a thick tension in all of us. I would stare out the window into the woods expecting for a herd of wolves come crashing into the car. 

When we arrive at the restaurant I wait in the car as Preston gets out and comes to my side of the door, opening it for me. I smile at him and look up at the sky just as another loud boom and lighting lit the sky. Grabbing my hand he hurries me into the building just as it begins to rain. 

"That was a close one." Sasha said looking at my hair with triumph. I laugh and wrap my arm around Preston's. 

"Kent party?" A hostess says when she sees us. 

"Yes, that would be us." Preston tells her. 

"Right, others are already here, if you'd follow me." She says grabbing some more menus and then walking back. 

It was one of the fancier restaurants in town that just opened about a month ago. It's one of those that you need to make a reservation and had private dining rooms for meetings. I'm guessing that Preston had reserved one of those since she led us to the back and to a very secluded room. 

Opening the door she led us through and a grin found its way onto my face as I saw the rest of the gang, excluding Vanessa and Mike, and my brother. They had decorated the room with some streamers, party hats, a stack of present on another table pushed to the back of the room. I couldn't help but laugh at the hostess face, she was not happy with this. 

"We will be back soon to get your order." She mumbles before leaving the room and closing the door behind her. 

As soon as the door is shut everyone bust out singing Happy Birthday making me laugh at their off tone voices. When they were all done and I stopped laughing I finally thanked them. Going around the table I hug each and every one, trying not to overthink my mom not being there. 

When everyone was seated and over looked the menus the waiter came in taking orders. 

"Uhm, can you leave that place setting please?" I ask as he was about to clear the last place at the table. "She'll be here soon." I promise. 

He nods and then leaves with the promise of coming back when the last person in the party arrived. 

"Did you see her when you left?" I ask Brayden as everyone else started talking to each other. 

I feel Preston's hand slip on my thigh as he continues to talk to Landon about something he had done last week with Avery. 

He shrugs. "I asked if she wanted to drive with me but she was still getting ready and I needed to leave early so I could set this all up. She told me she would drive herself." 

I nod. "But she was getting ready?" I ask. 

"Yeah," He says looking a little distracted. 

I give him a weird look before following his gaze to Sasha who was sitting across from him two seats down. She was laughing and talking animatedly to Scarlett. I smile and clear my throat, causing his attention to move back to me. He rolls his eyes and launches into a conversation with Hunter. 

I tried to enjoy myself as we waited for our food to come but my gaze kept going back to the clock that passed fifteen minutes past seven. She was late and it was starting to worry me. A knot started to form into my stomach as this feeling of unease grew more and more. 

"Hey, are you ok?" Preston asks as the food arrives. 

I gulp and look from the empty seat to him. With a hesitant smile I nod my head. "Yeah, I'm just worried about her; it sounds like the storm has gotten worse. What if she got in a car accident?" I ask. 

"I'm sure it will be ok, she'll be fine." He says but not really sounding confident.  

I could tell by the glances everyone gave each other that they didn't believe she was going to come. 

I give him another smile and turn my attention to my plate that didn't look as appetizing as I thought it would. My mood was dwindling down and my wolf was restless, even with Preston's hand on my leg and whispered words in my head wouldn't calm me down. She felt something was wrong too. The lights flickered making us all gasp as the loud boom happened just a second later. 

"Wow, how bad is it getting out there?" Brayden mumbles looking out the window that is being pelted with the heavy rain. 

My phone starts to buzz in the little hand bag Sasha had given me. I jump at the sudden buzzing. Opening up the handbag I move through the makeup she had put in there for the 'touch up' that I needed to do after I ate. Finally finding it I grab it just as it stops buzzing. My mother's number flashes on the screen as a missed call. My eyebrows scrunch up together at the sight of it, why was she calling now? 

Looking up I feel the need to call her back, but not in front of them. If she decided that she changed her mind I didn't want them to see my disappointment. 

"I'm going to go to the bathroom and then call my mom." I say getting up and moving Preston's hand off of me. 

He gives me a concerned look before nodding hesitantly. "I'll go with," Sasha says tempting to get up but I shake my head. 

"No, its fine, I just need some time by myself." I say. "I'll be back in five minutes."  

Without waiting for a reply I hurry out the room closing the door behind me, glad to read on the little paper outside the door that the rooms were soundproof. But not as much as they thought since we still heard the thunder and a little bit of talk from the waitresses in the kitchen. 

Walking through the restaurant I pull my phone open as I reach the bathroom. But before I could call her back a picture messages flashes across the screen from my mom. Confused I pull it open and I feel the blood drain from my face, panic and pain sliced through me as I looked at the picture. 

It was a picture of my mother tied and bound lying on a concrete floor. She was wearing a black dress, her heels missing; her hair was a mess and lying all over the place. Her right side of her face was bruised and turning a dark purple. A cut on her cheek as well. Under the picture there was a message. 

Take the back exit out of the restaurant right next to the kitchen. Someone will be waiting for you there. Come alone, show anyone this message your mother will be dead in a matter of seconds. 

I felt nauseous as I read the message, my panic increasing at what I had just read. I felt bile rise as I look at the picture once more. No. How could this happen? 

As if feeling my panic I feel Preston's voice in my head. 

Dee, what's wrong? 

I try to clear my frantic thoughts as I grip the counter top. 

I'm fine; I'm just worried about my mom. She told me there was a delay on the street, an accident because of the weather. I'm just worried about her. I whisper back feeling my heart beat thud in my chest. Just give me another minute. 

Ok, I love you and hurry back I don't want your food getting cold.  

I love you too. I whisper back before clouding my thoughts on the party and my mom in the 'accident' just in case he was reading my mind. 

With shaky hands I close my phone and dig through the handbag until I come across a pen. Grabbing it I open the door slightly and see a waiter about to pass by. 

"Excuse me; do you have a piece of paper I could use?" I ask him. I startled him so much he almost drops the plate of food he was carrying. 

"Uh- why?" He asks composing himself. 

"Just please?" I plead with him. 

He's hesitant at first but after a moment of debate he nods and transfers the food to one hand as his other grabs the little notepad and gives me a piece. Without another word I retreat back to the bathroom. 

Knowing I was running out of time I began to write. Scribbling my last message I would send to Preston I grab my phone and message and sneak out of the bathroom, looking out for my friends. Hurrying to the exit I see the same boy that gave me the paper about to head into the kitchen. 

"Hey, you," I call out making him jump yet again. 

When he sees me he scowls slightly and walks up to me. 

"Can I help you miss?"  

"Yeah, I need you to go give this to a guy in the Kent party." I say handing him the note and phone. "This girl was in the bathroom that I was in and she left her boyfriend's phone on the counter. She said his name was Preston when I talked to her." 

"And you can't do this because?" He asks looking annoyed. 

I roll my eyes and look around. "Because I'm the other women," I blurt out trying not to roll my eyes. "This was the first time we met before. I just didn't realize that the Preston she was talking about was the same Preston as mine until I looked through the photos. But the point is I can't take it to him because he doesn't want us around each other with her in the room." I lie. 

He looks at me disgusted that I was the other women. He mumbles something under his breath and nods. 

"Thank you so much." I say handing them over to him. "You take one peak at that note and phone and I promise you I will come back here and get you fired. I know when my stuff has been pampered with." I threaten. 

Without waiting for a reply I hurry out the exit that the person had told me too. The rain pelted me as soon as I walk out. I gasp at the sudden cold and look for the person that is supposed to wait for me only I didn't see anyone because they were behind the door and therefore behind me. I didn't even see them as they brought the needle down and injected me with something. I only felt a little bit of pain before everything whirled and went black. 

....................................................................................................................................................................................... 

A\/N: I was going to wait to post this, but I'm on a roll! And I'm super excited to get these chapters out there in the world! Thoughts? 

VOTE. COMMENT. FAN. PROMOTE. ENJOY. VOTE. COMMENT.FAN. PROMOTE. ENJOY. VOTE. COMMENT. FAN. PROMOTE. ENJOY. VOTE. COMMENT. FAN. PROMOTE. ENJOY.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 2.1K 29
(**Violence in some parts**) Abused physically and mentally. Diana takes it all for her sister Emma, the only blood related person she has left. She...
75.6K 2.5K 18
He's a werewolf; she's a human. He's heartbroken; she's the town's heartbreaker. He's running from his past; she's racing towards her future. He's fu...
2.2M 74.2K 49
COMPLETED - (book 2) Updated version now available on Amazon Kindle and Kindle Unlimited with an extra bonus chapter at the end! "I stood there for...
17.9K 647 23
Lexi was once young, innocent, and perfect. She had the picture-perfect life and family to fit in with it all. She believed all those fairy tales he...