I Guess I'm a Hero

By WAlbanito

Men and women all over suddenly develop powers. An ordinary, middle-aged man discovers his and has to deal wi... More

The Flat Tire
Lunch Rush
Speeding Trucks and Little Girls
Spaghetti and Meatballs
Sometimes, Weird is OK
We Are Not Alone
Racetracks and Realizations
Tornadoes and Teenagers
Suicide Mission
Best Friends and BLTs
Discoveries
Too Close to Home
Heartbeats
Bedside Manner
Frustration

My First Save

301 25 2
By WAlbanito

The next day should have begun like any other. Unfortunately, I had a feeling that my normal mornings were a thing of the past. Besides not getting a lot of sleep last night – and who would have? – there was something else. Sometimes I have a bit of insomnia. It happens: Happens to everyone I would imagine. You know what it's like. Your brain just sort of switches on and all sorts of thoughts and ideas keep going through your head. Not unlike an irritating jingle from a TV commercial. You just can't switch off. Well, that was part of the problem. The other problem was that it felt like my body was going into overdrive; which, I suppose, it was. I mean, it makes sense but I never really gave the idea much thought yesterday. There was too much else to be thinking about. The other thing that was kind of odd was that my arms and shoulders were a little sore. It didn't last very long – just for about an hour after waking up. But I thought it was interesting. Sort of like if you just started working out. Muscles that had been unused before had to get their complaints in.

Also, I felt...good: Like you would feel after a nice, hot shower; or for those of you who are still in shape, like you would feel after a good, brisk run or bike ride. You know you should be tired, but you feel oddly satisfied. This all might seem a bit strange to you, but if you think about it, it really isn't. My body was changing. Whatever had happened to me the night before I woke up with super-strength was apparently settling itself in for the long haul.

Since I had been up in plenty of time to get to work, even without using my alarm clock, I ate, showered and dressed in plenty of time to walk to work. So, I did. I felt like I had a lot of extra energy. Besides, a good walk can help clear the mind. At least it does for me. The questions I had been asking myself and my friends last night were still there, of course. This morning, though, they didn't seem to weigh on me as heavily. I thought of the possible meaning of all that had gone on while walking, but I was certainly a great deal calmer – more accepting of what had happened. I was actually looking forward to tonight – to testing my limits.

I arrived at the restaurant early. Tim, Jess and Peg were already there sitting in a booth. They all looked ready for the day.

"Anything interesting happening?" I asked as I sat down with them. Then, addressing the ladies, "Do we have time to talk about any dreams you two may have had?"

"Nothing," replied Jess as Peg shook her head. Both of them looked a little disappointed but also a little better rested.

"That's too bad." I turned to Tim. "How do you feel today?"

"Full of energy," he said. "I walked to work, and then decided to run. I can say it didn't take as long as it should have."

We all laughed at that.

"But something strange this morning," he continued. "My legs were a little sore when I first woke up. Not for very long and not very much. But yeah...sore. What about you?"

"Yeah," I admitted. "My arms and shoulders were a little stiff this morning. But, like you, it didn't last too long."

"So, obviously, our bodies are going to treat this like a new workout regimen - really new, in my case." That brought some chuckles from around the table. "I find that very interesting. We aren't just automatic supermen. That also means we should be a little more careful than we may have thought to before."

Peg started to get up and we all glanced at the clock. It was time to get to work.

"The girls seem a bit quiet to you?" I asked Timmy as we put our aprons on and headed for the kitchen?

"I think they each wanted to have dreams last night. It would make yesterday seem more...real, I guess. Same reason I ran to work today. Yesterday really happened. There is no getting around it."

"I know what you mean. I didn't try lifting anything today but I feel really good: Like I did when I was still in fairly good shape. I also feel better about it...mentally, I mean. Sorry if I seemed like I was losing it yesterday. Today, I feel more like everything is going to be OK."

"Don't worry about it, man. Yesterday was really weird. I don't blame you for getting a little upset."

The orders started to really come in as the lunch rush reached its peak. Peg had to come and help in the kitchen and it looked like Jess and the other wait staff was really earning their keep today. As hot and busy as it was, Timmy and I didn't seem to break a sweat. It was hard work, to be sure, but apparently another advantage was showing itself to us.

We had finished and things were starting to slow down when Peg suddenly put her hands to her head and collapsed to her knees.

"Peg!" Timmy and I knelt beside her. "What's wrong?"

Kind of a stupid question, I know. It was obvious she was having a bad headache but I didn't really know what else to say.

Her hands were pressed on either side of her head and she looked to be in a lot of pain. Amazingly, she managed to get some words out.

"Bill...go. Accident. 29th...Main. It's...explosion. Gasoline. No time...fire trucks."

"I walked. I don't have my car." I looked at Timmy. "Give me your keys," and then remembered he hadn't driven today either.

"NOW!" she screamed.

I was so startled at the scream that I didn't bother to try and argue. I got up, tore my apron off and made for the door. I got outside and looked around frantically. How was I supposed to get there? It's all the way across town. The way Peg made it sound; I needed to be there yesterday. There were no buses in this town and I didn't see a taxi. Not really knowing why, I just started jogging. What else was I going to do? The kind of shape I was in, I wouldn't make it a block or two before I had to stop. I thought about the urgency in her voice and decided I would run as far as I could. I had no choice.

Then, the streets started to blur around me. I was moving...fast! No way! I thought. Fast is supposed to be Timmy's thing. I didn't have too much time to argue with myself about it, because I was at 29th and Main in a flash – pun intended. There it was. A pickup truck had T-boned a little Ford, which lay on its side. The driver of the truck got out and closed his cell phone. He had a small cut on his forehead and the beginnings of a decent sized goose-egg, but otherwise he seemed all right.

"I just called 911," he told me. Then he started to rock a little bit on his feet. He looked like he was going to pass out.

"Sir, you're going in to shock. Go sit down."

It was at that time I heard the trickling sound – like when you don't turn off your sink all the way. I ran to the car and saw a woman unconscious, but alive, in the front seat. Seatbelt saved her life. I also saw a small river of fluid – it had to be gasoline – coming from the back of her car. I knew I shouldn't move her, but the gas could definitely be more of a problem. I righted the car carefully and went to the driver's side. I could hear the sirens in the distance. Help was coming soon. I ripped the door off, made short work of the seatbelt and carefully lifted the woman from her car. Then, it happened.

If you watch a lot of action movies, like I do, you tend to notice things about car crashes. Like, they end in explosions...a lot. That really isn't the case. In real life, car accidents don't explode all the time.  They explode almost never. Cars are built with a whole bunch of safeties to stop that from happening – shut-off switches and the like. I was concerned about the gasoline, of course; but I found it strange that Peg had mentioned an explosion. It was almost...cliché.

A passing driver – a gawker – had slowed to get a better view and carelessly flicked his cigarette out the window. I saw it start to roll towards the car. You have got to be kidding me! I hurried away as best I could with the injured woman in my arms. I shifted her to one arm as I approached the man sitting on the curb. The lit cigarette reached the rivulet of gas as I reached out and grabbed the man by the collar. I heaved him up over my other shoulder and ran around the corner, ducking behind a parked car as the explosion rocked the street.

I lay the woman down carefully as the man looked up at me. He was trying to say something.

"You...I...what...you...you...how?" he stammered.

"Sir, you had quite a blow to the head. Maybe you should be still and rest. The ambulance will be here any minute."

I went back and looked down the street. The fire trucks were going to be here in about 30 seconds, and I was sure that I didn't want to be there to have to answer any questions about the car door being torn off and lying 50-feet away. Trusting that the authorities would have a tough time believing the account of a disoriented man that had a large bump growing out of the front of his head, I jogged back to the restaurant.

Author's Note:  Since this chapter is part of a ProjectSuper writing contest, I am putting in the writing prompt.

+ write a scene in which the character saves someone's life.  this can be either literally or figuratively.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.4K 3.5K 20
{Original Story} Phoenix Anderson wants nothing to do with the League of Superheroes. He's not sure why he's avoiding the good guys, but then again...
33.4K 2K 26
The story of a guy with extraordinary abilities and extraordinary problems. He meets friends, enemies, and loses a bit of each. I enjoy writing and d...
204K 5.8K 18
Enemies to lovers | Bucky Barnes x reader Most interesting stories start with an uninteresting person, something like 'you were an average girl, wit...
35.3K 2.8K 50
Kara is training to become a superhero, but she's stuck with a snobby sidekick, boring missions, and too many rules. Craving adventure, she jumps at...