The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

By dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... More

Prologue
The Boy Without a Fairy
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Farewells
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Death Mountain
Dodongo's Cavern
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Darkest Hour
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Epona
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Before the Storm
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Prelude of Light

697 26 46
By dragonrand100

Chapter 52
Prelude of Light

A pale mist veiled Link's surroundings, and all he could see was an endless sea of white. Initially disoriented, Link struggled to make sense of his surroundings. His vision felt askew, and a shiver ran through him, recalling the icy touch of a blade piercing his right eye.

Shutting his remaining eye, Link willed the haunting memory away, diverting his thoughts with considerable effort. He attempted to recollect events after losing his eye, but it all remained a confusing blur.

The mask with its amber-eyed malevolence, Majora, the demonic figure reminiscent of a dismembered human corpse, the raven figurehead – Malon. Wait... Where did Malon fit into all this? He had rescued her, among others, but the escape from the nightmarish temple eluded his memory. Where was Courage in this surreal place? Despite trying, Link couldn't sense him.

No other memories emerged, except for the putrid wound inflicted on him by the dead hand. Shaking off the bitter cold that coiled through him, Link focused on his current surroundings.

"Is this a vision of the Sacred Realm?" Link wondered aloud. The peculiar mist swirling around him hinted at such a possibility. Had one of the Sages summoned him, or was this the handiwork of Courage? No stirring of their connection, no sense of the entity's presence.

Just then, the mist began to dissipate, revealing dim shapes beyond. Initially, they were mere outlines within the fog, but gradually, they crystallized into sharper clarity. As the chamber came into focus, an icy shiver traced down Link's spine – he knew this place.

This was where Ganondorf had entered the Sacred Realm, attempting to claim the Triforce. Link had led him straight to it, sealing Hyrule's grim fate. Yet, an odd acceptance of that fact filled him. Yes, he had unwittingly guided Ganondorf into the Sacred Realm's heart, but dwelling on the unchangeable held no purpose. What mattered now was his response to it, a determination to rectify the consequences of his actions.

The heavy iron doors before him swung open, revealing a vast passageway leading deeper into the temple. The child within Link yearned to explore, to uncover secrets within the hallowed halls. Yet, the more cynical part resisted, swearing off the exploration of temples forever.

"C'mon, Link, where's your sense of adventure gone?" a child's voice seemed to chime.

"I buried it," he thought sullenly.

His newfound cynicism, though not entirely unfounded, was misplaced in this instance. Rauru likely had no fondness for deadly traps or hideous monsters. The Temple of Light probably posed little danger, but Link lacked the inclination to find out. Turning his attention away from the door, he surveyed the chamber, almost identical to his recollection.

Almost.

He froze at the sight of six translucent crystals, towering over Link. Twice his height, they harboured mysterious contents. The deep azure surface shimmered against the light, easing the oppressive atmosphere compared to his previous visit.

"What are those things?" Link wondered, breaking the silence that pervaded the room.

Approaching the nearest crystal, hovering just above the Spirit Medallion symbol etched into the stone dais, Link peered into it. The figure inside was obscured, like looking through smoke. A woman with long red hair secured by a strange ruby clasp into a ponytail.

Nabooru?

Link stared at her silhouette, bewildered. Not thinking logically, he concluded that something must have happened to her, a sliver of fear coursing through him.

Link jerked back, heart pounding. Had something happened to the Sages? He spun around, focusing on the stone sigil of the Forest Medallion.

"Saria," he whispered, rushing to her crystal. Pressing his hands against the surface, he strained to see her child-like figure. Saria.

She appeared asleep, but it was impossible to tell for certain. Searching for signs of life, he found none. Her eyes were closed, and she seemed at peace as if merely sleeping.

"Saria," he urgently called, pounding on the crystal's surface. No response. How could he get her out of there? He wanted to tell Saria that they could go home soon, or at least she could.

"I'll get you out of here soon, Saria," he declared hoarsely.

"Do not fear. They are just asleep," spoke a familiar but unexpected voice from behind him.

Startled, Link jumped and spun around. Standing a few feet away was Impa, a purple blindfold covering her eyes, and a purple robe draped around her shoulders.

"Impa," he gasped in surprise.

Impa smiled, momentarily appearing younger. "You have grown since last we met, Link of the Kokiri," she said.

"I don't understand?" Link said, confused. Despite his long journey into the desert, it hadn't been that long since he'd last seen her.

"You have accepted that you are the Hero of Time," Impa explained. "The power of Farore flows through you; it means you have become the hero that you were destined to be."

Link blushed at such a declaration. "I had help," he said dismissively, acknowledging Navi, Sheik, and Courage.

"You did have help," Impa agreed. "But in the end, only you could walk the path of the hero. You have done well, Link. I am proud, as you should be."

Link's cheeks reddened. He'd never heard such praise from Impa before and knew she didn't give it lightly. Struggling for words, he managed a mumbled, "Thank you."

"I am sorry I could not spare you from the fate you have endured," Impa said, sounding sorrowful as her guard dropped. She turned her head, shoulders drooped ever so slightly and gazed towards one of the tall windows. She spoke more softly than ever, and Link strained to hear her words. "It was my duty to protect you from the day you were born. In that, I failed."

Link was more baffled than ever. "What do you mean?" he asked when he could finally unstick his tongue.

"It is a long story," Impa admitted hesitantly as she turned to face him. "I do not believe you need to be troubled with hearing it."

"No, tell me. Please." As he spoke, Link realized something- Impa knew his parents. Whatever Impa was planning on telling him, Link was confident he could handle it. It couldn't be any worse than anything else he'd learned in this room.

"You knew my parents?" he asked. So much of his past was shrouded in mystery. Link owed what little he knew about his mother to Saria. However, she'd left him with more questions rather than answers. Who were his parents and where was the place they called home?

Impa sighed, seemingly appearing older again. "Yes," she revealed softly. "I knew your parents. I had been searching for the Hero Reborn. I sent the Sheikah under my command to make a record of every child born that year, and that was when I discovered who you would become. I swore to your mother that I would protect you and spare you from this fate if I could."

"Who was my mother?" Link asked. "Saria never learned her name."

To Link, it seemed like hours before Impa finally replied, "Lady Larisa Harkinian."

Harkinian. He'd heard that name before.

"Isn't that the name of one of the noble houses?" he asked. 

 It was the only one he knew, apart from House Nohansen.

Wait...

Wasn't Harkinian the house with the red lion sigil!? The house of Zelda's mother?

"Larisa was Zelda's aunt," Impa further explained.

Link wasn't surprised that Impa was reading his mind, but her revelation did take him aback, once he realised what it meant. 

"Zelda's aunt?" he asked. "You mean, Zelda and I are cousins?"

Impa gave a small nod. "Yes, you are. When I learned that some of the Sheikah who fled during the schism wanted you dead, I pleaded for Larisa to take you to the safety of the Kokiri groves. But she refused, desiring to raise her son on her own terms, as any mother would. Only in the end was I able to convince her."

Link was confused. The Sheikah wanted him dead? That revelation didn't make any sense. Why would they want to do something that would ultimately result in their annihilation? 

"But-" he said weakly. "I thought the Sheikah were meant to protect, not to harm. They were appointed to serve the Royal Family." He remembered seeing the torture chamber in the Shadow Temple, and the unfinished mask, the ghosts of people trapped within it, their souls forever bound.

Link had once believed the Sheikah were benevolent protectors- warriors who valued honour, courage, and justice. But after what he'd seen... how could he have been so naïve?

The Sheikah were not the protectors he'd always believed them to be, at least not all of them.

"Do you truly believe that?" Impa asked softly. "After all that you have borne witness to?"

Link swallowed, his mouth feeling very dry. "No," he admitted finally. "No, I don't. It's like everything I learned about them, about your people, was wrong."

As the words stumbled out of his mouth, Link wished he'd been more careful. He had no desire to offend Impa, and for a heartbeat, he feared she would take offence at his declaration.

"It was not always that way," Impa confessed, giving no indication she was affronted. "In truth, a sickness ran through the Sheikah's ranks. We were at war with each other long before the Hundred Year War began, and it wasn't the first time our clans nearly annihilated themselves. As fate would have it, time passed, wars were forgotten, the people became complacent, and so atrocities were allowed to repeat themselves."

Link shivered, remembering what he'd learned about the Sheikah Schism and the brutal punishments handed down to those held captive within the corrupted temple.

"After I failed the task I was assigned," Impa continued, sounding distant, "I became certain our leader, the High Seer, had declared himself a god to control the fates of many," she paused, looking towards the window but seeing nothing. "I joined the rebel Sheikah and quickly rallied them together. Against my better judgment, I led a war against my kin. The High Seer and some of the other Sheikah began to worship the Ancients, a race of deities from which Majora and Ganon arose."

"Why would anyone worship something that wants nothing more than to destroy Hyrule?" Link asked, completely aghast at the idea.

"Because they were promised a lie, a lie ensnaring them within the Ancients' grasp," Impa answered. "Those same Sheikah didn't want the hero to be reborn. They had a spy within my ranks, but try as I did, I could not draw them out. Sheikah often guard their thoughts carefully, so it wasn't a simple matter of reading their minds. They discovered who you were and betrayed The Order."

Link's blood ran cold as he realized where this was heading.

"With the riots in the capital, I urged your mother and father to flee, but the Shadow Worshippers- the followers of the Ancients and their twisted doctrine- were a step ahead of us, and her escort was attacked."

Impa was still melding with his mind; it felt so gentle that Link barely noticed the disconcerting feeling. For an instant, that connection intensified, and images flashed through his mind. 

Memories, but there weren't his. 

They were Impa's.

Distant shouts of alarm rang out in the night. Weapons clashed and black shapes prowled a moonless night. Link was standing on the threshold of a tent, peering inside at a nightmarish scene. A woman with blonde hair, much like his own, stood just before him, her mouth open in horror. She was staring at a woman draped in black who stood beside a child's cot, blade in hand. Her cloak bore the weeping Sheikan Eye for all to see. The figure was looking down at an infant as it cooed softly, oblivious to the danger it was now in. When he finally realised the stranger was not his mother, the infant let out a piteous cry. The assassin stepped towards the cot, the knife's tip poised towards the child's throat.

"No!" Her trance broken by the infant's wail, the woman standing by the tent flap slammed into the black-robed Sheikah, one hand twisting around the wrist holding the knife, knocking it away from its target. Link wanted to scream, but there was nothing he could do as he watched the assassin wrestle free of Larisa's grip as they both went down. The assassin plunged her dagger into his mother's side. Once. Twice. With one final cruel thrust of her knife, the woman stood up and turned to regard the infant.

With an anguished, desperate cry, Larisa latched onto the assassin's leg, stalling the woman. She clawed at her son's would-be attacker with savage determination, apparently oblivious to the blood flowing down her dress.

A savage slap to the face knocked Larisa onto the bed roll. Turning back to the child, the assassin snarled and stepped towards the cot. Just as she did, the woman went suddenly rigid, eyes bulging, and then she crumpled to the floor. Something was sticking out of her back.

A knife.

Link blinked and turned to see Impa standing just inside the tent. Outside, he could see carriages burning and people were screaming. A horrible tearing sound alerted Link to a second intruder trying to enter the tent, just as Larisa staggered to her feed and limped towards the cot, but before Link could see more, his vision dimmed and the world went dark.

A moment later, he was back in the Chamber of Sages, blinking and barely able to stand. He felt numb. Cold.

"Your mother stopped them, but in the ensuing struggle, she was stabbed by a dagger infused with powerful dark magic. One of the Necromancer's creations. Against such powers, even my skills are limited. I arrived just in time to save you and Larisa's attendants."

"What happened after that?" Link asked. He felt painfully numb, and a part of him didn't want Impa to go on, but he insisted. "Please, tell me."

["An army of undead attacked, no doubt summoned by those trying to kill you, once they knew their assassins had failed."

As she spoke, more images confronted Link.

The shrieks of ReDeads rent the night. Men screamed as they fought, and somewhere in the distance, an infant let out a frightened wail. He saw two women on horseback fleeing towards a thicket of trees. One was the gold-haired woman, holding the screaming babe tightly in her arms, blood tarnishing her dress.

Several Wolfos nipped at her horse's hooves. Their focus was only on the child as they bore down on the horse that carried him, nipping and snapping at the squalling bundle. A familiar voice shouted for Larisa to fall back, just before Impa rode into view. She swung a long sword into one of the beasts and let her horse trample the other.

"The Lost Woods bordered the trail where our company was camped, so it was there that we sought refuge," Impa continued, her voice solemn. "We were pursued, but I held off the other Sheikah and their summoned creatures until you and your mother reached the woods. The attack ceased after that, and the rest you no doubt know."

Link's throat hurt, and it was an effort to speak. "Saria told me..." he paused before tentatively asking, "Does Zelda know that we are related?"

"She does, but I didn't tell her any more than that," Impa confirmed. "She cares more for you than you realise, of that I am sure."

"I wish she'd show it a bit more," Link muttered. Sheik very rarely showed any sign of caring beyond checking that he wasn't suffering a life-threatening injury.

"She has been hard on you these past few moons, I agree," Impa said gently. "Do not be too quick to judge; these last few years have been most difficult for her."

"I know," Link replied, remembering Sheik's fever dream and how shocked he'd been to hear her begging. His mind quickly wandered back to what Impa told him about his mother's death. Something was missing from her story, and after a moment, he realised what it was. "What happened to my father?"

"Lord Aldamear died that same night," Impa explained.

Link bowed his head as numbness crept to his core. How many people had died just to keep him safe?

For the longest time, Link stared at the tranquil light streaming through the windows. He swallowed, trying to force down the emotions welling up inside of him. "Thank you," he said hoarsely. "Thank you for telling me."

Impa inclined her head. "You had the right to know. I wish this could have ended differently." She turned to face the shimmering blue crystals as though she could 'see' their occupants despite being blind.

More questions nagged at Link, like insects buzzing in the recesses of his mind, refusing to be ignored. "Why did you try to kill Ganondorf? You were going to, I know that much."

Link instantly regretted his words, noticing Impa grimace. He desperately wanted to take those words back, to unsay what he'd just uttered.

Too late now.

"Isn't it obvious?" Impa asked softly, almost bitterly. She heaved a sigh, her shoulders seeming to sag a little. "It was not a decision I made alone. Many Sheikah were opposed to it, especially given what we'd already done, but our leader was adamant. It was dangerous. Many a monarchy has collapsed from the bloodshed caused in the name of vengeance. But..." Here she paused, facing him sightlessly. "You have a right to know. But I must ask, do not breathe a word of this to Zelda- not until I have spoken to her."

"I won't."

"Good," Impa nodded. "Our seers saw what Ganondorf would become, but in our arrogance, we assumed we knew why. Some protested against the decision and saw that it would lead to an endless cycle of vengeance as one race tried to right the wrongs committed by another. That has long been the way of all our kind; we cling to the past, let it control us and invariably it defines who we are. We are not quick to forgive the wrongs committed by another. Such as it is, we feared that if the Gerudo realised who was behind Ganondorf's death, and who'd cursed them, they would seek blood in payment. Nabooru too understood how unending the cycle of vengeance can be, which is why she opposed his desire to destroy Hyrule, once she realised how deep down that warren he was. Unfortunately, the king did not have any such reservations, and when the High Seer told him what would happen if Ganondorf remained alive, he ordered the assassination."

"Why didn't you refuse?"

"Refusing your king?" Impa asked, her tone dark. "There are consequences for refusing your king. In the end, I opposed him, but only after our plan failed." She turned, heaving another sigh. "As for why I spared him, that is something I have had many years to ponder. He was just a boy, and I wondered if it was our right to decide his fate, or if by trying to control the future by using the Sight, we had fancied ourselves gods instead of mortals. As I saw him standing before us, I wondered at this dangerous young sorcerer we were told to expect, for he was unremarkable save for his princely status. There was nothing that would hint at his untapped power. He was just a boy, and I had slaughtered his family. It was then I saw the High Seer for what he was: a tyrant... he may have united the Sheikah clans, at least to begin with, but he was leading them to ruin. I do not regret that I chose to spare Ganondorf's life."

"You don't?" Link was flabbergasted. How could Impa think that after the atrocities Ganondorf had committed? Thousands were dead because of him.

Before he could say anything more, Impa continued, "If it had not been for Ganon meddling in Gerudo affairs, and for what we'd done to them, things may have turned out differently. If I had slain Ganondorf, Ganon would have chosen another host. The Gerudo King wasn't the enemy... Ganon was, and perhaps the High Seer was in league with him, but... we will never fully know the truth of that."

A silence so thick Link could almost taste it followed Impa's words, leaving Link to slowly digest what he'd heard. He was surprised that Impa didn't regret the decision to spare Ganondorf's life. Once the Gerudo king and queen had been murdered, hadn't it been too late to change Ganondorf's fate? Impa was right; nobody would ever know.

"There is little time left to dwell on the past. Now that Ganondorf is cornered, he is all the more dangerous. There is much to be done and little time remains," Impa continued at length. "Ganondorf is now aware of Zelda's disguise. There are some alive who worship the Ancients, just as some of the Sheikah clans did," Impa's voice was thick with contempt. It sounded so strange and unnerving coming from her. "Some may try to capture her, even amidst the Hylian camp's illusion of safety. We must act before they do."

Link strode to Impa's side, and she seemed to 'watch' him. He was certain she could still sense him just as well as reading his mind.

"What do we do?" Link asked.

"First, we must wait until you and the Sages are fully healed," Impa spoke while gesturing towards the crystals. "That should only be a matter of hours. Then, we will be able to return to Hyrule."

"How?" Link asked. "If the Temple of Time is the only way back, then it would be too dangerous to return just now."

The Sages would be right in the thick of the monsters dwelling within Castletown's walls. After his escape from the Temple of Time when he first awakened, he was certain Ganondorf would have taken extra measures to ensure nobody could slip in or out of that temple again.

"Zelda has a plan," Impa said, sounding more like her usual calm and collected self. "She will warp some Gorons into the Temple of Time. They can clear out the monsters within, and we can place a ward around the building. Once that's done, we can break the barrier so Zelda's army can attack Castletown."

"Is there any way to get into Ganondorf's keep without Zelda's army attacking?" Link asked. A lot of people would perish if her army tried clearing a path to the tower.

Impa shook her head. "I'm afraid not. Even with our powers and yours combined, charging through Ganondorf's entire army would be as good as sentencing ourselves to death. Many more will die if that happens."

"I know," Link said, feeling utterly dismayed.

How many more people would die before this conflict ended? How many more people would lose their loved ones or become orphaned just as he was? He knew Impa was right no matter how much he hated it, and if he endangered himself now... Link didn't want to consider the consequences. He wouldn't let that happen.

He closed his eye, trying to will himself to think of more pleasant thoughts than death. Memories stirred within his mind, unbidden and unwelcome. He saw corpses, bloated and decayed, floating within a lake while a hunched figure gnawed at their remains.

No. Link felt the bitter taste of bile in his mouth. No. Think happier thoughts.

"Link?"

He jerked in response, opening his eye as Impa placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry you had to witness what you saw. It was never my intention that you or Zelda should enter that terrible place."

"Why did the Necromancer create those things... who was he?" Link asked, unable to hide his dismay at the ordeal he'd faced.

Impa stiffened slightly, her hand remaining on his shoulder. He turned to glance at her as the light in the chamber seemed to darken.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-" Link began, but Impa waved her free hand dismissively.

"It's quite alright," she replied. "I guess you could say my people lost their way. The remnants of our tribe were scattered like leaves upon the wind."

Link nodded as Impa continued her speech.

"Over a century ago, in the thick of the Sheikah schism, the High Seer, whom you know as Bongo, sought to end the prophecy of the chosen one and secure the Sheikah's power, in order to restore our empire of old. Much like Ganondorf, he stumbled upon one of the Ancients. It had been sealed beneath the Shadow Temple."

"Wait..." Link was confused. "Hadn't the Sheikah been after a source of power?"

"They were," Impa answered. "The demon you slew was the source of that power. The High Seer claimed he'd slain it, and only later did it become clear that the demon had possessed him. After that, the High Seer foresaw our destruction at the hands of the Gerudo and cursed them to ensure that prophecy would never eventuate. Many Sheikah opposed the decision, but they were unable to stop him."

"Is that why Ganondorf hated the Sheikah so much?" Link asked, shivering as he recalled the executions of Sheikah within the Gerudo Fortress. "He held them responsible?"

"Tragically, yes. He is one of the few Gerudo who knows the truth," Impa said. Her words coming dangerously close to revealing what she'd done.

"What about Nabooru?" Link asked.

"She is aware of it."

"Is there a cure?" Link asked, his mind reeling at Impa's words.

"Not yet," Impa said gravely. "My people were so close to finding one. Yet, in his quest for vengeance, Ganondorf killed them. A cruel irony for a man wanting to save his people."

"You mean the Gerudo will just die out?" Link asked as he looked at Nabooru. He could only see her faint outline through the translucent crystal.

"There may still be a way to save them," said Impa. "The same way Ganondorf wanted except that he lacked the purity of heart to use it."

"You mean the Triforce?" Link asked in slight confusion.

"Yes," Impa replied. "Though until we can reunite all the three pieces, we must focus on the task at hand." She turned to face Link."I have spoken long enough, and you must gather your strength before we make this final strike."

"The final strike," he repeated, the words feeling strange upon his tongue. "It's been leading up to this but..." he paused, swallowing. "I never expected to make it this far."

"And yet, you did," Impa said gently. "You will not be alone in this battle. Take heart in that. You can defeat Ganondorf, of that I am certain. We shall meet again soon," Impa said, giving him no time to respond. "Take my medallion with you." She stepped back, and the mist began to form once again. It enshrouded her until she and the chamber were little more than shadows. "Good luck," Impa said. "May the Goddesses be with you."

And with us all.

~ 0 ~

Link woke with a gasp, feeling as though someone had splashed cold water on his face. At first, he had no idea where he was. Sleep still clung to him, and he groaned. As his surroundings regained clarity, his various bruises and injuries reminded him of the beating he'd taken in the Shadow Temple. Sheik's remedies must have already worn off.

He stared at the ceiling, wanting nothing more than to sink back into the soft and fluffy pillows. Sleep eluded him, his mind abuzz with what Impa had told him. His parents, the Gerudo curse, and the Sheikah trying to kill him when he was only an infant. Link shuddered as he recalled fragments of Impa's memories. They weren't something he was likely to forget anytime soon.

"I can't think about that," Link surmised. He had to distract himself somehow. "Remember the candle flame," he told himself.

He tried emptying his emotions into the burning candle, as best he could. Nothing held back the flood of memories rushing to greet him, the steady calm slipping away like water trickling between his fingers. Link sighed and propped himself onto his elbows, glancing at his injured leg. A bandage was wrapped around the injury, and his leg was elevated on a pillow.

He looked around for Navi, realizing she was nowhere to be seen. And, judging by the sun peering over Death Mountain in the distance, it was well after sunrise.

She must have gone outside, he thought, scanning the room one final time.

Link noticed the corner of a piece of parchment tucked beneath his cap where Navi often slept. Reaching out towards the nightstand and grabbing it, Link realized it was a hastily drawn picture of a tree and a fairy, the notes of the Minuet of the Forest scrawled just beneath it. The only people who knew that song were himself, Sheik, Impa, and Navi.

Sheik must have left the note, he concluded. He turned the parchment over and inspected the other side. It was blank. Knowing Link couldn't read, Sheik must have decided to leave him a picture instead. He felt a flicker of gratitude towards her; it was not often Sheik acted that thoughtfully.

He glanced back at the note, staring at the picture again as though intending to decipher some hidden meaning within those lines.

Navi had gone to the forest, which worried him. While the rational part of his mind told him she was fine, another part wondered if something had happened to her.

"She'll be back soon," he thought. "Probably telling me off for sleeping in as usual." Given the circumstances, it was unlikely that Navi would be that mean.

Link lay on the flat of his back, listening to the rumble of horse carts within Kakariko's streets. In the distance, men shouted, and he was sure he could hear a Goron's gravelly tones.

Not wanting to be alone, Courage seemingly dormant, and abandoning the notion of more sleep, Link climbed out of bed, moving gingerly at first to ensure he didn't aggravate his injury. Seeing his clothes neatly folded on the bedside table, he got dressed as quickly as he could. He placed the Belt of Sages on last, admiring the polished medallions gleaming within the belt. If Link tilted his head and stared at them from a certain angle, he was convinced they were glowing. The belt was finally complete, and he could scarcely believe it.

Still contemplating whether to head for the stables or the kitchens, Link left his room. The aroma of breakfast smells wafting from the kitchen decided the matter. His stomach growled at the thought of food, and he couldn't recall the last time he'd eaten a hearty meal.

The kitchen was a bustle of activity, with maids and cooks scurrying to and fro, some carrying stacks of dishes. During his previous visits to this inn, Link had grown accustomed to how noisy the place was. Now, aside from the clattering of crockery, and the occasional murmured comment, the kitchen was oddly silent.

"There's still some porridge left if you want some," one of the cooks offered pleasantly, her sad smile never reaching her eyes. "Or some bread if you'd prefer. It's not much..."

"Porridge will be enough," Link answered. He watched the cook's gaze stray towards his missing eye. She looked uncomfortable and even intimidated.

Link almost sighed, sitting down as the cook placed a bowl of steaming hot porridge before him. He hated the kitchen's solemn mood, but the common room and even the private rooms the innkeeper kept for his more wealthy patrons (who were far and few between these days) wouldn't have been any better. From the brief snippets of subdued conversation he caught, Link gathered that most of the injured had been moved out of the common room.

He struggled to concentrate on his meal as the cooks kept looking at him, torn between curiosity and wariness, their eyes lingering far too long on his scarred face. Each time he caught them staring, they quickly busied themselves with their work.

"I guess I'm going to get that a lot," Link thought grimly.

"You'll get used to it," Courage told him, almost making Link jump.

"Where have you been?" Link asked, trying to look like he was still concentrating on his meal.

"Inside your head."

"That's not what I meant. I couldn't sense you."

"Giving you some privacy, if being dormant counts. Besides, you don't need my help right now."

"Uhh... thanks?" Link thought back.

Uncomfortable with the attention the cooks were still giving him, he wolfed down the porridge as fast as he could. His stomach still growled hungrily afterwards, so he ordered a second bowl. After promptly finishing that, he ordered a third. The cooks' stares hastily turned from wariness to disgust.

"He eats like a horse," muttered one of the kitchen staff. She didn't realize Link had overheard, nor did he see any reason to make a fuss over it.

After finishing, and with a hurried thanks to the cook, Link returned to his room, almost knocking over a pot perched on the bench by the doorway.

Navi hadn't returned yet, and with no desire to be alone, Link decided to check on Epona. He hadn't gotten a chance to check on the mare since that night he'd arrived while Kakariko was under attack.

Link slipped out the back of the inn and trudged across the yard to the stables. There was no sign of any of the stable hands when he walked in, and almost all the stalls were empty, except Epona's. The mare was staring at something just out of sight. He rounded the partition between the stalls to find Malon sitting against the wall.

She was staring at the ground, absentmindedly twirling a brooch from her cloak in one hand. Though Malon looked far tidier than the night before, she still looked drained. Her eyes hadn't lost that blank look, and her hair was a mess of red tangles. She barely noticed the shaggy mare nudging her, pining for attention. Lost in a daydream and totally unaware of her surroundings, Malon failed to acknowledge Link.

Epona, on the other hand, raised her head and whickered upon seeing him. Her ears pricked back and head lowered as though she were ashamed of fleeing when Link had needed her.

"Hey girl," Link said as Epona continued hanging her head. Her gaze lingered back to Malon, and Link followed with his own eye. He stopped scratching Epona, frowning.

Malon hadn't stirred.

"Malon?" Link whispered. He wasn't sure what to say or do. Normally, he'd consider asking if she was okay, but that seemed outright stupid. Just from looking at her, Link could tell the answer was a definite 'no.'

Malon's eyes were bloodshot, her cheeks caked with soot and grime, except where the tears had formed rivulets down her face.

Oh, Goddesses, Link thought, his heart aching terribly.

"Malon?" he spoke softly as he sat down next to her. "Hey, it's okay," he said soothingly. Link wished Navi was with him; she'd know what to do. Malon placed her head against his chest, her arms encircling him. Link returned the gesture, knowing that words alone would not heal her sorrow.

"I keep hearing them," she whispered, her breath shuddering. "Every time I'm alone... I can hear them... I thought if I came here it might be quieter."

Link closed his eye for a moment, almost able to hear the haunting whispers of souls long lost. He remembered the Necromancer most of all and its unnerving taunts. It pained him to realize what Malon was going through.

"Shh. It's okay," he said, gently brushing aside her unkempt hair. "You're safe now, that's what matters."

"That's easy for you to say," Malon replied with a sniff.

She was hugging him so tightly his ribs were practically groaning in protest. He tried not to wince in pain.

Malon seemed to realize this and relaxed her grip. "I've never been so frightened in my life, not even when-" She suddenly tensed, choking on the words as she held back a sob.

Link had a small inkling he knew what she was about to say. "They're gone now," he whispered.

"I was so scared," she repeated softly.

"It's okay. I was frightened too," he said gently.

"What if they come back?" Malon asked, on the verge of tears again.

"They won't," Link assured her, though the words sounded hollow. "You'll be okay, I promise. I'll keep you safe."

And you better hope you can keep that promise.

Malon hugged him again, this time taking care not to crack his ribs. She sobbed, bitter tears splashing down onto Link's tunic as he tried consoling her. "I've fended wolves away from the herds more times than I can remember," she sobbed. "I was scared then, but I didn't feel powerless. Nothing like-" she shivered, wheezing through her sobs. "I thought I'd never see papa again..."

"Shh..."

"I'm sorry," Malon buried her head in his shoulder, crying harder.

"You have nothing to be sorry about," Link told her gently.

It pained him to see her this broken, so far gone from the young girl who laughed at almost everything. Those days he'd spent on the ranch seemed like such a long time ago.

For a considerable time, they lay back against the stall in silence. Malon rested her head against his shoulder, holding him as though afraid to let go. He had no idea how long they stayed there. Malon's trembling gradually stilled, and by the time she stirred, her tears had long since dried.

She wiped her eyes and glanced around the stall as though looking for something. "Where's Navi?"

"She had to go back to the forest," Link answered. Malon looked puzzled, so he added, "I'm sure she'll be back soon." He thought of something to distract both himself and Malon from the horrid events of a few days ago. "I missed the ranch after I left. I wanted to come back, but after everything happened..."

"I know," Malon murmured. "Father missed you too. He said you were like the son he never had."

Link felt a rush of gratitude towards Talon, remembering how readily the man accepted him. He might have originally felt distrust, thinking that Talon only did it because the Sheikah asked him. Now, Link knew that wasn't the case; the man could have refused. He could have sent him and Navi away despite Impa's request, and yet he hadn't.

"I felt so stupid for coming back... I wanted to see Epona... but I also had friends in Kakariko. I wanted to see them. I wanted to join the resistance... silly, really. Father wouldn't have liked that idea, but almost everyone else I'd known had joined the Queen's Banner. It seemed like such a cowardly thing... doing nothing to help when everyone else was."

Link was slightly taken aback by this news. "Someone needs to look after the fields," he pointed out. "The Queen's Banner wouldn't exist if it weren't for the farmers that supported them. That was partly what led the Gerudo to rebel- they had no food."

It seemed the most logical thing to say, and it was the reasoning Sheik would have used. Malon smiled weakly. "Navi's influence is rubbing off on you."

"Almost," he said, glad to see Malon smile. "I haven't started saying hey listen yet."

Malon snorted softly, almost laughing.

They both looked up as Epona whinnied, demanding their attention. That was when Link thought of something else. "Was it just my imagination, or did Ingo hug me last night?"

"He does seem a bit friendlier than usual," Malon said, peering towards the stall's entrance as though expecting Ingo to round the corner at any moment. "I thought his brother might have put something in his drink."

She got up, holding Link's hand and helping him up. He felt stiff, and his limbs cramped from being still for so long. Malon's eyes went straight to his one, her gaze lingering upon his scars.

Malon never said anything, but Link suddenly felt the heat rising in his cheeks.

She was a little too close, so close that he could see every detail of her face, right down to the sprinkling of freckles on the bridge of her nose. Exhausted and untidy as she was, Malon still looked beautiful.

Navi would probably have a fit if she saw him now. She'd tell him it was stupid leading her on considering what he still had to do. Especially if it distracted him from his task or put her in danger. Link had never told Malon he was the Hero of Time; he hadn't expected her to believe him, but now the guilt of not confessing gnawed at him.

Breathing in the scent of freshly cut hay, Link pushed his thoughts aside. Malon placed her arms around his waist as she leaned forward until her lips touched his own. Her delicate touch jolted him, the sensation exhilarating.

As the thought of duty threatened him again, Link sighed and tensely pulled away.

Malon looked confused at first. "Is something wrong?" she asked.

"There's something I need to tell you," he held up his hand, pulling off the gauntlet for her to look at the scar beneath. The Triforce mark was glowing faintly, just enough for her to see it.

At first, she just stared, looking puzzled. Then her eyes widened, and she took his hand in her own to examine it. Her mouth fell agape. "I...you're the..." she looked up, studying him. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Malon didn't look as surprised as Link had expected; if anything, she looked more sorrowful. Perhaps she thought that being the Hero of Time was a curse, an illness he would eventually succumb to.

"I didn't think you'd believe me," Link admitted. "I didn't believe it until recently either. It's a secret to everybody... well..." He managed a rueful grin before adding, "Maybe not everybody."

"I highly doubt it will be much of a secret for long," Malon said, a small ghost of a smile flickering across her face. "Especially if they figure out that scar isn't fake and your sword isn't a replica."

Link offered a silent nod in return.

"Is that why you were hiding for so long?" Malon queried, "and why you never came back to Lon Lon when your horse was injured?"

Link wouldn't have called being stuck in the Sacred Realm hiding, but he figured it was close enough. "Yeah, it was."

Malon's gaze focused on his scar again, clear pity in her eyes. She felt sorry for him, and he didn't want that.

"Is it true?" she asked, her voice almost a whisper. "That the hero must face the demon king who sits upon Hyrule's throne?"

"It is," Link answered.

Those prophecies, from what little he knew, never stated whether the hero would live or die. Only that he would face the dark one upon Hyrule's lost throne. He wondered if Malon was thinking the same thing. How much did she know? For a moment, Link wished he'd just kept his mouth shut and not told her the truth.

"I won't lie to you, Malon," Link said, his voice trembling as he expressed his fears. He almost fooled himself into believing that denying that fear would make it go away, and yet Link knew deep down that wouldn't work. "I honestly don't know if I will come away from this alive." The words burned his throat, the admission of his fears painful. "If anything happens-"

"Stop, don't talk like that!" Malon's voice was almost heated.

"Malon," Link continued insistently, almost pleading.

"You'll be fine," she rebuked him, her eyes reflecting her fierce expression. He'd rarely seen her like that, except once when Ingo had refused to help treat Link's injured horse.

"It's not me I'm worried about," Link said, realizing he wasn't handling this well. "You need to stay here. If something happens to me, I don't want you hurt-"

"Don't worry about me." The anger left Malon's eyes as quickly as it came. "There's always a risk something might happen, but that doesn't mean you should shun people away to protect them from being hurt. What kind of existence is that?"

"But-" Link started protesting, but Malon wouldn't have it.

She embraced him again and leaned close. Her lips nearly touched his own before Link heard footsteps approaching Epona's stall.

"Link?"

Sheik.

Link jumped convulsively and drew back. Epona jerked too, raising her head to peer at the newcomer.

Sheik stood at the stall's entrance. Her eyes lingered from Malon to Link and then back again. She raised an eyebrow, looking at him with questioning eyes while Navi zipped onto the stall's small gate.

"Link!" She exclaimed. "Why'd you run off like that? You nearly gave me a-" Navi went silent as Sheik stared at her. She looked at Link and Malon for an explanation. "Oh... bad timing?"

"Miss Lon, isn't it?" Sheik asked firmly, her eyes falling on Malon. She didn't sound too pleased to see her.

Malon nodded, her hands clasped in front of her. "Yes?" As if unsure how to address a woman of Sheik's rank she added, "My lady?"

"Might I have a word with Link, alone?" Sheik asked with an icy tone.

Malon looked taken aback by Sheik's barely disguised vehemence. After a tense moment, she nodded and replied, "Of course."

She glanced questioningly at Link and then disappeared out of the stall. Once Malon was gone, Sheik motioned for Link to follow. Link did, feeling rather embarrassed. He'd barely gotten out of the stall before Sheik spun back around and rounded on him.

"What were you thinking?" Sheik she.

"What do you mean?" Link asked defensively, resisting the urge to take a step back. "I was just comforting her."

"Hey," Navi argued, zipping in between the pair. "Is now a really good time for this? Link's hardly the first seventeen-year-old to-"

Her words went unnoticed.

"Comforting her?" Sheik questioned, disbelievingly. Navi made frantic waving motions in front of her, but Sheik ignored the fairy. "There was more going on there than just comforting."

"You know, Nabooru would probably think this was hilarious," Navi continued, still trying to diffuse the situation.

"I... nothing was going on," Link blustered, red-faced. He felt a sudden, and almost irrational anger at Sheik. What he and Malon did was none of her business. "What does it matter to you anyway?"

"I need you focused, Link," Sheik said, sounding annoyed. "I can't have you distracted by a simple farm girl." Sheik must have realized she said the wrong thing because her eyes immediately widened.

"A farm girl?" Link repeated, his anger rising.

Navi groaned. "Can we discuss this later?"

Link ignored her. "Is that all she is to you?"

"It was a poor choice of words," Sheik reasoned apologetically. "I'm not worried about her status; I'm more concerned about you. I can't have you distracted, and you endanger her with your attention."

Link was not placated so easily. It wasn't like he was unaware of the risks.

"So, you're saying I should just be an emotionless Sheikah like you?" he asked in frustration. "I can see how well that's worked for you. Sometimes, it makes me think you've forgotten what it feels like to be close to someone. You're cold, and if I didn't know any better, I would believe you were heartless."

Link felt the sting of those words as he winced, wishing he could take them back. Sheik simply stared at him, her red eyes seemingly radiating heat.

"HEY! Listen!" Navi shouted, hands on her hips. She fixed Link with an angry scowl that almost made him recoil. "We have more important things to worry about, and arguing over a girl isn't one of them!"

Sheik turned an angry glare on Navi. Before she could respond to Navi's remark, Link got a word in first. "I wasn't arguing over a girl!"

"Oh, really?" Navi folded her arms, looking deeply unimpressed. "Then what were you doing? Now, if you've both finished, we need to get to the Temple of Time. But first... Sheik, I think you have something for Link."

"Of course," Sheik heaved a sigh and put a hand into her satchel, withdrawing a vial of tree sap.

"Is that..."

"From the Elder Tree," Sheik finished. "It will heal your leg, and I can use it as a salve on the rest of your injuries."

The Elder Tree...

"Did you see the other Kokiri?" Link asked. It had only been a few days since he'd sent the last of them home, and he hadn't heard any news since. "Are they alright?"

"Yes, they are fine," Sheik answered in a much calmer tone, though her posture was still stiff and wary. "The Kokiri you sent back to the forest are settling in well, and your friend Forenz has most of them harvesting medicinal plants to use as potions."

Link felt a surge of relief at those words. The Kokiri were safe. Even though their lives hadn't gone back to the way they were before, at least they were safe and home.

"Thank you," Link murmured, trying to force down the torrent of emotions rising within him. He hated getting emotional in front of Sheik, even though he had already done exactly that. "Thank you."

"You do not need to thank me, Link. It was your own actions that freed the Kokiri," Sheik said. "We should go back to your room first, but we need to be quick. The Gorons are waiting for us."

"Waiting for us?" Link asked in surprise. "What are you talking about?"

"We're going to storm the Temple of Time," Sheik finally answered. Without another word, and as if she'd just done nothing more than announce the evening meal, she turned and headed for the inn. His emotions still caught in a tangled web, Link didn't follow immediately.

"That's it?" Link said to himself, blinking. "Can't I catch a break for a moment?"

"You know, Link," Navi spoke softly, her eyes fixed on Sheik to make sure she wasn't overheard. "Just because she seems emotionless, doesn't mean she is. You may find that she just fears to feel her emotions."

"Why?" Link asked distractedly. He caught the reproach in Navi's tone. Hesitating for a heartbeat, he met her eyes. "What do you mean by that?"

"Because it hurts too much," Navi answered. "Perhaps she's just buried it, and that's just her way of coping with the pain of what she's lost."

"Oh," Link said, feeling stupid. Why hadn't he considered that before?

I am such an idiot, he thought, resisting the urge to bury his face in the palm of his hand.

"I didn't want to be the one to say it," Courage said, "Fear not. I was once as you are now, so don't be too hard on yourself."

Link barely paid the spirit any notice. A sense of shame, a pang of guilt at being so insensitive to Zelda's struggles burned in his gut. Hadn't Impa's words been enough of a clue?

Sheik called to him, and with a final glance at Epona, Link went after her.

~ 0 ~

Barely an hour later, as the noonday sun began its descent, Link stood on the dais in Kakariko's Graveyard once again, accompanied by an odd mix of Gorons and Hylians. More than six Gorons formed a protective ring around the other occupants, all of them curled into balls to provide a makeshift shield. Archers, all wearing the livery of the Queen's Banner were arrayed in a second ring just inside the Goron's circle.

"Sheik, shouldn't you stay here?" Link asked. Navi voiced her agreement, also suggesting she should remain behind. He was afraid of what might happen if this plan went horribly wrong. What if they were captured, or what if one of the Sages was killed? He wouldn't be able to forgive himself if they'd gotten this far only for one of those things to happen.

Sheik seemed to sense his worry. "The Sages' powers are strongest in the Temple of Time. Ganondorf won't attack us there. Not directly at least."

"What if something happens?" Link questioned, lowering his voice to avoid letting anyone else know he was afraid.

"If anything happens, I can warp us both back to Kakariko," Sheik argued.

They'd been over Zelda's plan a dozen times, and he still didn't like it. The archers would fire a volley as they arrived, taking out any attackers while the Goron's would proceed to barricade the temple's forecourt to prevent any other creatures coming in. Finally, Sheik would place a ward around the building to ensure it was protected.

Sheik raised her harp, gently holding it as one might hold a small child. "Ready?" she asked.

Murmurs of assent rose around her, and Sheik nodded. She plucked the soft notes of an unfamiliar song. Link had never heard it before, though he knew its name: the Prelude of Light. The song that would take them to the fallen sanctuary of the Temple of Time.

The melody came to an end, and Sheik lowered the harp. Blue fire licked the platform's edges, but nobody flinched. They were all used to this. Even the Gorons.

The world began to spin until Link's surroundings were nothing but a blur, and then just as quickly, the Temple of Time's familiar stone walls and checkered floor appeared. Link only just managed to take in its dilapidated appearance with its shattered windows before he realized that the hall was far from empty.

At least twenty Bulblins had taken up residence. Some were just beginning to stir from the depths of sleep, all of them blinking and looking towards the disturbance that broke their slumber. Two moblins were guarding the main doors, while another two guarded the inner sanctum's entrance. There were startled shouts and nearly every Bulblin looked at the newcomers in stunned horror. Whatever they'd been expecting, it was clearly not seven Gorons protecting a ring of archers.

Arrows flew, and in an instant, half of the Bulblin guards had fallen. Their screams were drowned out by the battle cry of Gorons, cries so loud it was a wonder the roof didn't collapse.

Steel clashed. Hammers and axes crunched into bone as the Gorons charged. It was a rout. Bulblins, with bows half-notched, threw down their weapons and ran for the doors. One Bulblin tried reloading a crossbow, and after two failed attempts, it threw the weapon at an approaching Goron and fled. The Moblins bellowed, trying to make them charge but the bulblins just kept running. They scrambled out the door and into the ruined city.

The Moblins were left alone, pummeled as the Gorons and archers made short work of them. Two iron knuckles standing just outside the door burst inside, their heavy armor clanking as they lumbered down the hall. They didn't work in tandem, and after a Goron wrestled an axe free from one's grip, hastily swinging the axe into its former owner, the battle was quickly decided. It was over so quickly that Link, who'd jumped off the dais to join the fray, was left feeling stunned.

"Well, they don't seem to need us," Navi muttered.

"There will be more," Link told her, his eyes fixed on the doors.

As if to affirm Link's prediction, a horn blew outside. A second quickly answered it. A third and then a fourth pealed through the air.

"Bar the doors!" Sheik yelled.

The Gorons were already on to it. They pushed the temple's heavy doors shut, and then within moments, the doors shuddered, trembling under an assault of axes and blasts of magic that shook the entire temple.

Sheik closed her eyes, her face becoming strained while the weapons went silent. Somehow, that seemed worse. Link had no idea what was going on outside, and whether Ganondorf's minions would try to falter their plan. They definitely could, especially if Ganondorf came himself.

"The wards are holding," Sheik said, sweat glistening on her forehead as she finished her spell. "They won't last long, we must act quickly."

An outburst of excitement from the Gorons quickly drew Link's attention to the Inner Sanctum. A familiar voice said something in the Goron's native tongue. Almost smiling, Link turned to face the Door of Time. As it had for over eight years now, it stood open, and just inside of it were the Sages. Despite the carnage around him, Darunia was grinning broadly.

"Ah, finally!" he boomed, his arms wide. "Some action! This is what I like to see."

"Good to see you too, Darunia," Sheik said, managing a rare smile of her own.

Link's attention was almost entirely fixed on Saria as she descended the stairs. She ran forward, and Link knelt down so she could wrap her small arms around him.

"I missed you," she whispered, choking back a sob. "When Impa told me what happened to you..."

"It's okay," Link told her, gently ruffling her hair. "Really."

As Saria let go, he could feel her gaze linger on his missing eye and her expression was pained. "You're not okay."

"It's just a scratch, Saria," Link said, trying to sound light-hearted.

"Just a scratch?" she repeated incredulously. "That's a lot more than a scratch, Link."

"Well done, dear husband," came Ruto's soft voice. "I didn't doubt you for an instant."

Link blushed crimson, and after making sure Sheik hadn't overheard, he shot her a chastising look. She just smiled, her eyes twinkling. Caught in the middle, Saria stared at them both, looking confused.

"Umm... what did you just call him?" she asked.

"Never mind," said Ruto innocently, putting a hand on Saria's shoulder, eyes still on Link. "I do believe we have rather pressing matters to attend to... Oh, do stop looking at me like that! You have no sense of humor, do you?"

With a strained effort, Link tried to assume a neutral expression. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He was thankfully distracted by Nabooru and Rauru who greeted him next. Rauru was far more formal than the others, and finally, there was Darunia, who refrained from any mention of a hug.

"Your scars will make a good story," Darunia said approvingly, and Link had to hastily step away from a good-natured slap on the back. Darunia noticed, lowering his arm with a grin, "But first, we must get out of here. This should not be too difficult."

A loud rumbling boom from outside made the temple's walls tremble. Thick plumes of dust descended in clouds from the ceiling, and Link was abruptly reminded the danger was far from over. Sheik looked back at the Gorons and the soldiers crowding the hall; they were still in position, but the Gorons shouted that the doors felt warmer.

That's a bad sign.

"The wards will not hold for long," said Rauru while standing beside Sheik. "We must act quickly if we are to get out of here."

The Sages quickly moved back into the inner sanctum, taking up position on their respective medallions. Link watched as they closed their eyes and the dais began to glow. One by one, the medallion sigils carved into the floor burned brightly.

"Goddesses," Rauru declared loudly from his medallion, his voice seemed somehow magnified, seemingly stronger and more powerful. "Heed our call. Hear the voices of Hyrule's children! Grant us your light this day to rid this land of darkness; to protect it from those who do it harm."

He opened his eyes just as a great plume of light shot from the platform's center. The temple shook as the light split the air, a crack like thunder reverberating through the perimeter. Link shielded his eye, his heart hammering madly within his chest. He was part awed, part terrified by the display.

Another loud crack made him look out a window. The glass was shattered, and he had a good view of the shimmering barrier beyond. Cracks of light began weaving their way across its glassy surface like tiny webs. The loud crackling continued, and the air hummed with energy from the Sages' spell. Then, with a final loud crack akin to a thunderous boom, the barrier fell.

More horns began pealing through the air, yet it wasn't the harsh call of a moblin horn.

"Let's go," Rauru said. He looked strained and tired, but he said nothing of it as he led the way out of the inner sanctum. Sheik helped Impa down the stairs with Nabooru's aid, and soon they were crowding around the dais.

There was barely any room to move on the platform, and just as Sheik began playing the final note of the Nocturne of Shadow, the doors burst open. More creatures poured inside, charging towards the dais and screaming in rage.

Link fought hard not to panic at the sight. "Sheik, can't you make this thing hurry?"

"I cannot," she answered, before shouting, "Archers, loose!"

A volley struck the first few beasts, and more fell as the archers let loose a second volley and then a third. Out of the corner of his eye, Link realized that the bulblins had positioned ladders against the broken window frames and were now attempting to climb into the temple.

Damn it. Link didn't like this at all. Several Gorons, including Darunia, fended off a Lizalfos as it came too close.

Blue flames erupted around the dais and the world spun. The Temple of Time vanished, and they were back beyond the walls of Castletown once more. Link breathed a sigh of relief, feeling a wave of relief at the fact they'd escaped.

That was when he noticed the horns calling. They sounded different from the harsh moblin calls, their notes echoing through Hyrule's hills.

The barrier has fallen, they seemed to cry.

The final push to Castletown, and ultimately Ganondorf's tower, was about to begin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.4K 1.1K 38
Princess Zelda, her trusty knight, Link, and her fellow champions of Hyrule go on a desperate mission to find and defeat Calamity Ganon. However, whe...
282 4 5
It had happened faster than he could fight back. The Imperial Knight of Hyrule, sworn as Princess Zelda's sole protector, had failed to save her. Now...
9K 264 35
« Nothing will never do us apart. » It's been six months since I fell in love for the first time of my life. All of this because of him. Him, Link F...
4K 235 34
Tears of a Broken Kingdom ~ {After OoT/MM} now C O M P L E T E ~~ Ganondorf has been executed but trouble is beginning to brew in the land of Hyru...