Popular Nerd

By Random_Teenager

Nathan Johnson is the nerdiest guy in school- everyone knows it. But Paige Heartfield couldn't help but see s... More

Chapter One// The School Nerd
Chapter Two// His Phone
Chapter Three// Too Shy
Chapter Four// His House
Chapter Five// The Real Me
Chapter Six// Please
Chapter Seven// New Guy
Chapter Eight// Football Practice
Chapter Nine// Dinner
Chapter Ten// Who Is He?
Chapter Eleven// History Project
Chapter Twelve// Don't Cry
Chapter Thirteen// Strange
Chapter Fourteen// That's New
Chapter Fifteen// Laura's Party (Part 1)
Chapter Sixteen// Laura's Party (Part 2)
Chapter Seventeen// New Friend
Chapter Eighteen// Date?
Question & Answer
Chapter Twenty// You Have To!
Chapter Twenty One// Nathan's P.O.V
Chapter Twenty Two// Teacher's Pet
Chapter Twenty Three// Thank You
Chapter Twenty Four// The Real You
Chapter Twenty Five// To Conclude
Chapter Twenty Six// What Happened?
Chapter Twenty Seven// That's Enough!
Chapter Twenty Eight// You Understand?
Chapter Twenty Nine// A Ride
Chapter Thirty// I Told You
Chapter Thirty One// I Never Knew
Chapter Thirty Two// We're Done
Chapter Thirty Three// Tease Much?
Chapter Thirty Four// He Loves Me?
Chapter Thirty Five// Hey Princess
Chapter Thirty Six// Sounds Lovely
Chapter Thirty Seven// Calm Down
Chapter Thirty Eight// Everything Alright?
Chapter Thirty Nine// You'll See
Chapter Forty// I Do Care!
Chapter Forty One// Come In
Chapter Forty Two// Why Move?
Chapter Forty Three// You're Right
Chapter Forty Four// Too Late?
Chapter Forty Five// Nathan?
Chapter Forty Six// Plane Ticket
Popular Nerd Review
Chapter Forty Seven// Come Back
Chapter Forty Eight// My Girlfriend
Chapter Forty Nine// Wanna Fight?
Chapter Fifty// New Beginning
SEQUEL OUT NOW
Nathan's Points Of View
Nathan's POV: Chapter Nineteen// New Partner
15 Shawn Mendes Songs Relatable To Popular Nerd!

Chapter Nineteen// New Partner

30.7K 1.1K 279
By Random_Teenager

Ethan invites me to his soccer practice Wednesday afternoon. The bell for the end of the day has already chimed and I head straight out to the field. The sport teams have a rotor of who can use the field for practice each day. Today is the soccer team's turn.

I pass Lacy on my way through the car park. From the dirty look she shoots me it is apparent that she doesn't want me to stop for a chat. What would we even chat about?... How much of a jerk her new boyfriend is and, even though he is smoking hot, is a jackass for trying to kiss her once-best-friend though you don't believe me? Umm, something tells me that that conversation wouldn't go down that well, considering Jace is standing right next to her.

Ignoring her narrowed eyes and turned up lip, I march past her confidently and walk down the steps. Ethan creeps up behind me and tries to surprise me with a hug, fortunately I hear him approaching so don't scream when his arms wrap around my waist and pull me against his chest. "Hey Paige," he whispers into my ear. I spin around with a huge smile.

"Hi Ethan. You really surprised me." We both laugh in unison at my sarcasm. "You ready for practice?"

"Yeah, all ready. Oh, I gotta go," I turn my head to see the rest of the team summoning Ethan over to them. "See you later?" I reflect his smile and nod, before giving him a final hug.

"See you after practice. You need anything?" I ask quickly, the team frantically motioning Ethan over to them, wanting to start practice.

"Water?" Ethan looks at me one last time before running over to them. I watch as he joins his team mates and the ball is kicked towards him. For a moment I spectate the beginning of the match. Ethan is really good. It is clear why he is the captan- he is definitely the best player.

I go back up into the school cafeteria, in the direction of the vending machine to get the water Ethan has requested. It is only $1 so I don't care if he doesn't pay be back. After all, he did insist on buying our ice creams the other day. I slot the money into the machine and wait for the bottle to drop. As I bend down to collect it, another hand clutches around my wrist.

"Hey," I stand up onto my feet and stare blankly at the guy in front of me. He has his hood up therefore I can't detect his appearance. With his tall frame, he could be any guy in my grade. "Um, hi?" I stutter as his hand is still holding my wrist.

He then drops his arm and I retrieve mine so he can't touch me again.

"Could you get me a water too?" The mysterious guy flicks back his head and his hood falls off. The first thing I notice about him is his dark brown hair, messy from the pull of his hood.

"Oh, hi Nathan." I let out a sigh once I realise I know him. Nathan isn't alone, though. A few guys are around him who I hadn't acknowledged their presence until now.

"Hey," he repeats, his tone of voice flat. He wedges his hands into his leather jacket pockets. "Could you get me a water?"

I take a second to process his question. He had asked me before but I was too stunned to reply. "W-why?" My voice breaks unexpectedly. The two guys surrounding Nathan let out a chuckle, taking advantage of my nerves. They aren't recognisable by the way their heads are down and hoodies covering their chin.

"Coz I'm thirsty," Nathan grunts, matter of factly. He steps forwards and presses the buttons on the vending machine. "Toss us a dollar would ya?" He extends his arm forcefully in my direction, opening his hand and waiting for me to give him the money. I stand still, frozen.

"Give him the stingin' money," barks one of the lads to my right. I jump inside at his deep voice, startled by his volume. I glance my eyes back on Nathan's hand, then trail my sight up to his face. His jaw is clenched and he sighs impatiently.

"You got any more money?" He asks with a rough growl, coming from the back of his throat. I feel around in my pocket and my finger grazes over my last dollar bill. I gulp with anxiety. "Do you?"

"Um, yeah." I mentally face palm myself at how truthful I was. Why can't I lie and make a run for it? Why am I so overpowered by Nathan?

"Then give it him! God." The same guy from before spits. They are all getting restless as a result of my lack of obedience. So with an intake of breath, I reluctantly fish out my last dollar and hand it over to Nathan. He doesn't even thank me for it and simply slots it into the machine. He picks up his water and spins on his heels to leave.

"Um, Nathan?" My breath hitches.

"Yes?" He faces me expressionless.

"Oh, I was just wondering if you've finished that paragraph for our history project yet?" I ask with my nails clawing into my palm. An inexplicable wash of nerves bubbles up inside of me. I bite my tongue, hard, as Nathan sends me a confused glare. "The project is due in tomorrow." I remind him. "Have you finished it?"

Nathan sends a look towards both of his mates who both covered their mouths to stop a smile from growing. What is so funny? Nathan's lips even crack into a smile of laughter.

"What?" I ask apprehensively. "Please tell me."

"Did I forget to tell you?" He hoists his hood back up over his head, shadowing the whole of his face again.

"Tell me what?" I ask with the slight shuffle of me feet. I feel as if they are hiding something that I should know about...

"I have a new partner for that project," he states.

My jaw drops. "Who?" Why would he change partners and not tell me? Why would he even switch partners in the first place?

"Josh," he says with the backwards nod of his head. I avert my eyes to the guy beside Nathan. He drops his hood and there stands Josh.

I am more surprised that I never noticed he has been standing there than the fact he is actually here, with Nathan. I should have known it was him though, considering all the time they have seemingly spent together over the past week.

"But why?" I look back over to Nathan with a hurtful expression. This is a whole new level of jerkiness, if that is even a real word but I don't care as this is making me so mad right now!

"I think the question is, why would he go with you at the start?" Josh speaks up. My lip hangs as I stare at him with blank eyes. Josh even wanted to go with me.

"Sorry Paige," Nathan holds back an unsympathetic laugh and turns his back towards me. The three guys exchange smirks.

"So who am I going to present the project with now then?"

"You mean my project?" Nathan doesn't look at me as he speaks. "I've got the model of our Tudor house so your just gonna have to use the project Josh did with his partner."

"Who's that-" but I already know the answer.

"See you around Paige." The boys leave the cafeteria with a cloud of murmurs over their heads. I see Nathan fist bump Josh as they exit the room. My heart falls.

I don't know what makes me more upset: the fact Nathan ditched me, or the reality that my new partner is now Courtney Ray.

***

The whistle blows and the soccer team stop running and jog over to the side. Ethan tosses the ball to the coach then makes his way over towards me. I'm currently sitting on the second row and I stand up to receive his sweaty hug.

"You need a shower," I laugh, kissing his cheek then pass him his towel.

"Wanna join me?" He winks. I slap his arm playfully and giggle. "I was only joking. You got my water?" I hand him the bottle and watch as he almost downs it all. "You ok?" He asks, detecting my drop in mood. I fake a smile and nod.

"Come on, I'll walk you over to the showers. I'm just glad thy are back working again." We hold hands and enter the sports centre. He goes over to the shower rooms and I wait outside.

Nathan and Josh catch the corner of my eyes as I spot them sneak around the corner. What are they up to? They don't need to use the showers, football wasn't on today. I shake it off and return my focus on the shower room door, waiting for Ethan to return.

It is about a good twenty minutes before the door to the shower room opens and Ethan slips out. His hair is wet with a clean T-shirt on.

"Took you long enough," I joke.

"Let's go," Ethan chuckles then links his arm with mine as we walk out to his car. I watch as Josh's car speeds away from the gates with Nathan in the passenger seat. They are making a quick escape.

That is when I see the spray painted, graffitied wall on the side of the math block. The words 'Math Sucks!' are written in huge letters in multicoloured paint. My vision scrutinises the words, the complete wall ruined by what I presume is Josh's work, not to mention the assistance of Nathan. Their escape was rapid, no camera's around the math's block to have caught them.

 "You coming?" Ethan motions me inside his car. I slip inside and pull the seat belt over me.

"Let's go," I whisper, my head turned from the window. Ethan pulls out and we drive out of the gates.

"Oh, you finished that Macbeth essay yet? By any chance?" Ethan looks over at me through the mirror above his head. I meet his gaze and force an unconvincing smile.

"Yours or mine?" I ask with an exhale of air, realising I agreed to write his as well. First Laura's, mine, now Ethan's and I still have another one to write for myself.

"Either..." He turns the wheel and I stare out of my window.

"I'll write them both tonight."

"Great."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 1K 22
She may be daddys little princess, but now shes found her prince charming This is story of girl who is totally loved and pampered by her parents and...
657K 27K 41
"You can't fight fire with fire without expecting to get burnt." In which a girl accidentally on purpose sets the school's Bad Boy on fire. Highest...
220K 5.5K 39
I'm not your regular high school student. I'm a girl who doesn't take shit from anyone. Who has light brown hair and bright green eyes. I wear what I...
1M 60K 39
"For a broken heart, the limit for revenge . . . does not exist." __________________________ What happens when you get caught breaking garden gno...