Love and Hate: A Dramione

By queenofhogwartss

Hermione's life couldn't get any better, until one person destroys it all. Will Draco be the answer to her pr... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 18

12.1K 291 407
By queenofhogwartss

Hermione woke up feeling oddly warm and comfortable. She had gotten used to waking up on the cold floor of the Astronomy Tower where she'd been going the past couple of weeks every time she had a nightmare.

Funny, I don't remember going back to the dorms last night.

When she reached to pull the covers off, she was surprised to feel something that was most definitely not her comforter. Hermione looked down and the sight of Draco's cloak in her hands brought back everything that happened the night before. She looked at her watch. Luckily, it was still fairly early and since it was a Saturday, most Gryffindors would be sleeping in, allowing her to sneak back into Gryffindor tower unnoticed. Reluctantly, Hermione got up even though all she wanted to do was stay under Draco's cloak forever. For some unknown reason she felt safe there.

After folding up the cloak and putting a quick thank you note on it, Hermione was about to slip out the door when Sophie stumbled out of her room sleepily.

"Hermione?" Sophie asked with a yawn, rubbing sleep from her eyes.

So close! "Hi, Sophie," Hermione greeted with a smile. "Good morning."

By this point, Sophie had fully woken up, excited that her friend came to visit. "Did you come for breakfast?" she asked excitedly.

"Um, no, actually, I – "

"Nonsense!" Draco's voice interrupted Hermione as he walked in through the door. "That's exactly why she's here. It's a surprise for you Sophie." He turned to Hermione. "Isn't it?"

Sophie looked at her with such hopeful eyes, Hermione couldn't resist. "Yeah," she confirmed. "Surprise?"

"Yay!" Sophie squealed and proceeded to hug Hermione. "You should do this all the time!"

"All the time?" Hermione asked looking at Draco.

"On weekend mornings I have breakfast with Sophie. It's the only time I can do it because I don't have to rush to class after." When Sophie ran off to wash up, Draco added, "That and it'd be hard to sneak back to the dungeons when everyone's already up. I have to keep up appearances and wake up and get ready with everybody else. On the weekends people sleep in and no one's supposed to be in any specific place so even if I walk in, people will just assume I went for a walk or something."

Hermione nodded. Then she noticed that Draco was dressed for the day and that she still hadn't even brushed her teeth. "Um, I should go change or something," Hermione said, covering her mouth and looking down at her pyjamas and robe from last night.

"Don't worry about it," Draco replied with a smile. "It's just us. If you need it, you can use Sophie's bathroom. There's mouthwash in there too," he added with a laugh, earning a swat from Hermione.

Hermione entered the bathroom after Sophie was done. After washing her face and mouth, she looked at herself in the mirror and panicked. She had bags under her eyes, her clothes were rumpled, and her hair was a frizzy mess as it usually was after having been slept in. Unfortunately she didn't have a brush or a change of clothes to fix anything. Why do I even care? It's just Malfoy right? With a sigh, Hermione readjusted and tightened her robe around her and walked out of the bathroom.

"Good morning Ms. Granger," Snape's presence stunned Hermione for a few moments. Luckily, she didn't scream in surprise.

"Er, good morning Professor," she replied uneasily, blushing at being seen by a teacher in her state. She looked at Draco who was clearly trying hard not to laugh. Just us? She mouthed to Draco when Snape had his back turned.

"I'm sorry I forgot to tell you that our godfather usually joins us for breakfast as well."

Hermione shot Draco a look that was clearly meant to kill.

Draco simply smiled back. "Shall we?"

oOoOoOoOo

Never in a million years did Hermione ever imagine that she would be having breakfast with Draco Malfoy and Snape, and in her pyjamas no less. It was definitely the most awkward situation she had ever been in, hands down. Luckily, Sophie took a bit of the edge off by talking incessantly and telling her godfather all about her week. Hermione was still shocked at seeing Snape listen to her intently with a smile on his face, clearly enjoying himself. Snape with a smile was unnerving, but Snape interacting with a 4 year old girl with a smile was downright scary. At least she was spared from having to make polite conversation. Clearly sensing her unease, Draco pretty much left her alone as she ate and for that she was grateful. She simply sat at the table and watched the two siblings interact with their godfather whom they clearly adored and who clearly cared about them as well. Once you got past all the weirdness and the people who were actually involved, it was quite a picturesque scene. Sophie would talk about her week while Draco and Snape listened attentively and asked her questions, making her feel like what she had to say was important. When she took a break, Snape would ask Draco something about school or quidditch and they would talk. There'd be occasional banter and jokes, some do-you-remembers, and a lot of laughter between the three, usually at something Sophie said or did. If she didn't know any better, Hermione would say it was a scene out of a 50s commercial. She still, however, noticed Snape giving her pointed looks when he thought she wasn't looking.

"Well, I really must be going," Snape finally said, reluctantly getting up. "I have to mark a bunch of essays from inane first-years."

"What does inane mean?" asked Sophie.

"Never mind," Snape said trying to hide a smile. "Don't I get a hug goodbye?"

"A hug costs 2 sickles," Sophie stated matter-of-factly.

"You drive a hard bargain," Snape replied. A Malfoy through and through. "But I think it's worth it." He handed her 2 sickles and Sophie proceeded to give him a hug.

"Alright, I have to go now," Snape said, standing up and letting Sophie go. "Ms. Granger," he acknowledged Hermione with a nod. With that, he went to the door, giving Draco's shoulder a squeeze on his way out.

"I can't believe you did that!" Hermione exclaimed as soon as Snape was out the door. "It was the most embarrassing moment of my life!"

"I'm sorry," Draco said laughing. "I have to admit I really wanted to see your face when Snape saw you in your pyjamas."

He was met with a glare from Hermione.

"Alright, alright," Draco said with his hands in the air in a sign of surrender. "How about I make it up to you? I ruined your breakfast so how about you come to lunch with me and Sophie? It'll be my treat."

Hermione was about to refuse when Sophie interrupted her with squeals. "Yes! Yes! Will you come? Please, pretty pretty please?" Sophie pleaded, pouting and batting her eyelashes for extra effect.

Such a Drama Queen. A Malfoy through and through. Hermione thought, echoing Snape's earlier sentiments.

"Oh, alright," Hermione agreed earning a squeal from Sophie. "But can I please wear something other than my pyjamas?"

oOoOoOoOo

"Okay, hold on to this."

"What is it?"

"It's a watch Granger."

"Yes, I can see that. But why do I have to hold on to it?"

"It's a Portkey."

"See, even a four year old is smarter than you."

"Four and three quarters."

"Yes, thank you Sophie."

"But according to Hogwarts: A History you can't apparate in and out of Hogwarts – even with a Portkey."

"Dumbledore made this especially for us."

"Why? Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

oOoOoOoOo

"A playground?" Hermione asked in disbelief once they landed. Sophie didn't even wait to catch her breath before running off to the slide with a delighted squeal.

Hermione looked around as they followed Sophie at a slower pace. "Why are we in a muggle playground?"

"I bring Sophie here occasionally so she can have a change of scenery. It's a chance for her to have fun and interact with other kids." Draco answered as they sat down at a nearby bench and watched Sophie.

"Who are you?" Hermione asked incredulously.

"Draco Malfoy," he answered without missing a beat. "For the smartest witch of our age, you sure can be stupid sometimes."

Hermione gave an exasperated sigh. Draco turned to Hermione and held her gaze.

"Just because I'm a prat doesn't mean I don't want my sister to be happy."

Hermione was about to reply but she was cut off by Sophie's voice.

"Hermione! Look what I can do!" Sophie called out as she slid down a fireman's pole. Hermione waved to acknowledge that she saw her.

"Be careful Izzy!" Draco called out.

"But this just isn't you," Hermione insisted, her attention back on Draco.

"Don't presume to know me Granger," Draco answered coldly. He got up from the bench and walked away.

"Malfoy, wait!" Hermione called out. She ran to catch up to him. "I didn't mean it like that. I mean – " She paused. "You're Draco sodding Malfoy, we're in a MUGGLE playground and well, you don't exactly project 'nice guy' at Hogwarts!"

"So what?! People can't change?!" He had to work hard at lowering his voice so that the other people wouldn't notice them. "I know you're used to hanging out with one-dimensional Gryffindors but the world isn't black and white. People aren't black and white. I thought you knew that by now."

Once she overcame her shock at seeing Malfoy willingly venture out into the Muggle world, Hermione realized that she had seriously put her foot in her mouth. More like her whole leg, really. She sighed. Draco still had his back turned to her.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said tentatively reaching out to touch his shoulder. Draco stiffened but turned to face her. "I do know that. I should've known better than to say those things. I know you have Sophie's best interests at heart. It's just that you continually surprise me and knock me off balance!"

"Well you were never that well-coordinated to begin with."

Ah, an insult! Hermione was glad to see they were somewhat back on familiar ground now. "I really am sorry. Truce?" Hermione asked holding out her hand.

Draco reluctantly shook it. Hermione would like to think that the shiver she felt was because of a breeze. Draco would never admit that he was finding it more difficult to stay mad at Granger for very long.

"Alright, now come on," Hermione said, not letting go and pulling on his arm instead.

"Come where?"

"Oh don't tell me you just sit on that bench and watch Sophie play all day."

"If you think I'm going to go down that slipe thingy, you're seriously mistaken. It's undignified and likely full of germs."

"It's a slide and don't be such a pansy. But if your hundred galleon cashmere trousers can't take it, we'll have to settle for the swings."

"Oh, 'cause that sounds so much better."

oOoOoOoOo

"So this is it? We just rock back and forth? Where's the fun in that?"

"That's because you're too chicken to do anything else."

"What does a chicken have to do with anything?"

"Never mind, Muggle saying. What I meant to say is you're a coward."

"I most certainly am not!"

Draco said it so indignantly, sounding so much like a two year old, Hermione tried really hard not to laugh. Some of it escaped anyway.

"Well, show me what else you can do then, if you're so brave."

At this Hermione began to pump her legs and go higher on the swing.

"Most people," she said as she passed by Draco on her way up. "Go higher."

Draco looked on nervously (not that he would ever admit that) as she went higher and higher. "I think that's quite high enough Granger," he called out.

"Who are you my father?" Hermione asked laughing. "Come on, it's easy, just pump your legs like me."

Draco did so and higher he went. At first, the little flips in his stomach made him nervous (and a little queasy) but soon he got the hang of it and was matching Hermione's height. It was quite exhilarating actually. He was starting to like this swing thing – it felt somewhat like flying on a broom.

Chicken, indeed. "Is this all you've got Granger?" Draco called out to the girl beside him.

"No," Hermione answered grinning. Draco didn't like the mischievous gleam he saw in her eyes and he regretted asking the question. "Most people," she continued. "Jump off."

Draco had to bite back a scream (it was a cough, really) when Hermione jumped off the swing at the highest point. She landed lightly on the grass in front of them laughing.

Draco was still swinging. There was no way he would do something that stupid!

"Come on Malfoy!" Hermione called up from below. "What are you waiting for? Jump!" Draco shook his head. "Chicken!"

Draco knew he would never live it down, so with a deep breath, he approached the highest point of his swing and jumped off. He thanked Merlin he landed on his feet in front of Hermione. Unfortunately, he lost his footing and stumbled, pushing Hermione and pinning her to the ground. Draco lost his breath as he realized how close they were. Hermione had stopped laughing. He looked deep into her eyes, mesmerized. He couldn't help it. He reached out and gently pushed a lock of hair away from her face. Hermione's breath started to quicken. His might have too but he didn't notice. All he could see was her face, her eyes, staring right back into his. He slowly bent his face closer to hers until –

"Drake, I'm hungry."

In an instant they were both standing.

Draco coughed. "Sure Izzy, it's time for lunch." He turned to Hermione who was blushing profusely. "What are you in the mood for?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48 0 14
Everyone knows about the task that Draco was given, but what if he had a friend to help him. Would the results completely change or would they stay t...
3.4K 35 30
Draco, Hermione and their friends return to school for their 6th year, Draco really like's Hermione and wants to make everything up to her but she's...
4.2K 139 38
Sequel to The 6th In the last book 'The 6th year' Draco and Hermione got together, and had a deep love, though alot of terrible hard ships that coul...
729K 19K 43
Hermione and Draco had been enemies from the first time they saw each other but something had happened in the years they were, Draco felt something t...