temporary fix || n.h. au

By kingtomlnsn

"It'll only be temporary." -------- cover made by: @Vania_Devine :) written: October 15, 2015 - October 14... More

authors note
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Epilogue

3

8.5K 285 193
By kingtomlnsn

"How'd you sleep last night?" Niall asked. My eyes went wide and my mouth dropped a little but I quickly shut it. 

"Pretty good, thank you. Your bed is comfortable one of the most comfy beds I've ever slept in-" I rambled on before Nialls laugh cut me off. "Why are you laughing?" I quickly asked. 

Niall shook his head while it fell to look at the ground, "Why are you rambling on about my bed?" he said followed with soft laughter.

God, he was adorable. The way his cheeks were turning pink from the slightly cold wind was cute. The way he puts his hands in his front pockets while he walked was cute. The way his eyes got squinty whenever he laughed a bit too hard was cute. 

Stop. I mentally scolded myself. He is not cute, stop staring at him, stop analyzing every aspect of his body, just stop it, Sam. 

"I'm guessing your silence means that you're nervous," Niall spoke breaking me out of my trance. "It's okay to be nervous around me, I get it a lot that I'm intimidating," he spoke boldly of himself.

I couldn't help myself but snort at his statement. "Intimidating, yeah SURE," I laughed.

Niall kept the conversation going as I speed walked to my destination. He would occasionally tell me to 'slow down' to which I'd tell him that I am 'in a rush.' I was walking too fast that I almost missed the turn that led to the hospital. 

"Why are we turning into the hospital?" Niall asked from behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see his face only a few inches from mine, "Uhm.. I volunteer here sometimes," tucking my hair behind my ear as I spoke.

"What exactly do you do here?" He asked with more than enough interest in his voice than I needed. 

"I help out with the older patients," I said as I walked faster, wanting to get out of the now freezing air.

 "What?" Niall choked out while jogging to come to my side. 

"You know, the older patients. Old men, women, people who are old," I tried to reiterate for him, but the look on his face told me he had a million questions to ask me. 

"No, I know what you mean. But why? What do you do? Can you even do that? Isn't it awkward? Aren't they a pissy at times?" Niall shot out one after another.

"Niall, holy shit," I stopped at looked at him, "I volunteer here because my mom is a nurse, and ever since I was kid I followed her to work and helped her with her patients. She would do what she had to do while I talked to the people. I don't know exactly WHY I do it, but I enjoy it so I do it," I said in one breath and then continued walking until I got to the doors.

As I walked in with Niall on my tail I was greeted by the receptionist. "Hey, Sam. How you doing today, honey?" asked Linda, the receptionist. She handed me over a clipboard with the volunteer sheets that I had to fill out every time I came here. 

"Not too bad," I answered and grabbed the clipboard, "I swear, Linda, when can I stop filling these forms out? You guys see me here all the time, I should just get a card or something," I said handing her back the clipboard. 

She laughed, "I'm just following procedure here, hun. Trust me, if I could I wouldn't let you sign these things every time. Is this guy with you?" she brought my attention to Niall, who I forgot was with me.

"Oh yeah, he is. I forgot about him," I mumbled as she handed me another clipboard. I handed it to Niall who quickly filled out the information about himself. When he handed back the clipboard, I told him to follow me.

I showed Niall 'the ropes' of volunteering here at the hospital. He followed me as I checked up on the patients, ran some errands for a few people, and we even blew up some gloves for the kids. I looked up at the time at it was getting close to nine. Gotta go check Ray.

"Hey, Niall. You can go home if you want, I got to check up on one person then I'm heading home," I told him. 

He shook his head, "it's fine, I can come with you then I'll walk you home," Niall said as he stood up.

Ray is an elderly man. He's like a teddy bear, he has such a sweet, soft voice and he is always smiling at everyone. Ray always looked at the positive things in life rather than the negative stuff. 

I knocked before I opened the door, "Helloo," I said in a sing-song voice. 

"Sam!" I heard his cheerful voice. 

"Ray, there's my favorite man," I pushed the door open letting Niall come in after me. I gave Ray a hug and pulled up two chairs next to his bed.

"Ray, this is Niall. He's.." I paused not knowing what we were exactly.

"A friend," Niall finished for me while extending a hand to Ray with a smile on his face.

"Nice to meet you, son," Ray shook his hand. 

Ray and I got to talking, he asked me how I was and how I was doing at work. I asked him how the hospital is treating him to which he said was "fantastic!"

 After a few minutes of chit chatting about us, Ray quickly adverted his attention to Niall. "So, Samantha's friend," Ray started, "how'd you two meet?" I groaned as I dropped my head into the side of his bed. 

Niall had a small laugh, "Well, I actually met her last night at a club," Niall started before Ray interrupted him, "A CLUB? Samantha, what on Earth are you doing in a club?" Ray scolded me.

"Ray," I sighed, "I'm a 21 year old woman, I can take care of myself," I said while I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Mhmm," Ray gave me a stink eye which caused me to laugh, "I'm sorry boy, go on," Ray focused his attention back to Niall. 

Niall shifted in his seat, "Well, we met in a club then I bumped into her today at her restaurant then followed her here, and now here we are," he answered. Ray nodded his head then quickly jumped into the subject of sports. They talked for quite a while.

We left around 9:45. Niall and I were quiet on the way out of the hospital. Before we got outside I turned to him and said, "Thanks for being a good sport tonight, Niall," I teased, "you don't have to walk me home though. I'm fine on my own. You should get going on your way home, too." 

His face showed that he wanted to object but to my surprise he agreed, "It is getting late. Yeah, thanks for letting me come with you tonight. It was really.." he paused, "something." 

A smiled crept on my face, "well I'm glad you enjoyed it," I started walking away from him and towards the direction of my apartment as I said bye and gave a small wave.

--------

It took me about 15 minutes to get from the hospital to my apartment because I was speed walking. As soon as I opened my door, I was greeted with warm air that felt so good. 

I took off my makeup and contacts, leaving me with my glasses. I changed out of my work clothes, rinsed my body, then changed into something comfortable. I crawled into bed around 10:10, exhausted from work and the hospital. 

Before I fell asleep, I heard a knock coming from my living room. I groaned and turned over in my bed, not wanting to answer the door. The knock eventually became louder and louder, I threw my pillow across the room, threw my hair into a bun and searched for my glasses in the dark. What does Kate want, I thought. 

I walked to my front door and looked through my peephole. It wasn't Kate, it was Niall.

He was leaning over my door, breathing heavily as if he ran a marathon. I stood in shock behind my door, trying to comprehend why Niall was standing on the other side. A swift five knocks echoed throughout my apartment making me open my door. 

As I opened my door, Nialls head quickly snapped up and his eyes scanned over my attire. I moved to hide behind my door, only making my head visible, "Niall.. uhm, what are you doing here?" I asked, pushing my glasses up.

"I had a nice time with you tonight, Samantha. I had a great, fantastic, amazing time with you tonight," He spoke so quickly. 

"Hey, hey, hey. Why are you rambling about how nice tonight was?," I mimicked him from earlier today. His lips curled into a soft smile. 

"How'd you even find me?" I asked him. 

"I followed you," he shamelessly said, "you were walking as if someone was out to kill you," he laughed. 

"Well I'm glad I did, because you know someone was following me," I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Did you just want to tell me how nice tonight was or is there something more?" I asked, eager to go back to bed. 

"Yeah.. uhm.. I wanted to ask for your phone number?" He asked shyly, his cheeks turned a bright red and he wasn't looking me in the eyes. I cocked my head a bit to hopefully catch his eyes but he avoided me. 

"So maybe we could do this again sometime, you know? Because I had fun, you seemed like you had fun, it was fun," he nervously added. 

I laughed lightly at him, "sure, blondie," I offered my hand for his phone. He handed me his phone in a flash and I added myself into his contacts.

I handed him it back and he quickly tucked it into his pocket. "Is that it, now? I would really love to go back to bed," I shifted from one foot to another. 

"Yeah, yeah. Thanks," he smiled and started to walk away. I was about to close my door when I heard him call my name from down the hallway, I stuck my head out to look at him. I caught him with a sly smile walking down the stairs saying, "I had a nice time with you tonight." Then he was gone.

AUTHORS NOTE: Hey guys, this chapter is pretty shitty because it's finals week and I have been packed with a lot of things. I hope you guys enjoy it though :)

vote and comment cuties x

follow me on twitter if you want, I'm always up for a chat @kingtomlnsn

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 57 21
She almost gave up on herself until she met him one hopeful night. ~ @2015 copyright Kurt New. thank you for reading.
2.2K 51 36
After all this time, I'm still stuck with them? (C) Copyright 2014-15 iwckle_niall ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
26.1M 340K 60
I am only fifteen...how could this happen to me? I am nerdy-straight 4.0 GPA, never smoked, never done drugs, never had a boyfriend, never had sex, n...
3.6K 71 38
Sometimes love just sneaks up on you and sometimes it's for the best. Sometimes though things go horribly wrong and you don't know which way to turn...